HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
02-04-2014, 04:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Schenn, well... Luke Schenn, wasn't even on the ice for either Nieto goal last night.

See: http://www.extraskater.com/player/4/luke-schenn

Luke Schenn hasn't been on the ice for a goal against in 5 consecutive games.
What?

Here is the video..first Nieto goal.....

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020843

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 04:24 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Schenn, well... Luke Schenn, wasn't even on the ice for either Nieto goal last night.

See: http://www.extraskater.com/player/4/luke-schenn

Luke Schenn hasn't been on the ice for a goal against in 5 consecutive games.
He was on the ice for the pp goal. Still 1 goal in the past 5 games.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 04:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
What?

Here is the video..first Nieto goal.....

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020843
Someone else must have been wearing his jersey.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Broad Street Elite

This is what I get for trying to read advanced stat lines quickly. The categories I linked are clearly ES. Sigh, apologies.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 08:50 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Stud is not a word anyone should use to describe Luke Schenn. I'll give him credit for playing better as of late but in no way is he or will ever be a stud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Yup..that is a misnomer if I ever seen one. A stud can neutralize a player like Nieto at will....Luke Schenn will never really be able to do that because he has skating limitations (footwork and speed) and now apparently like the argument against Carle (ironically)..he can only be effective if complemented properly (e.g. Gus). That is not a stud defender..sorry!

Now he can be a good second pairing guy if he plays within his limitations but by no means do I see him as a stud d man particularly in this league of speed. Having said this I'm glad he is not as much of a liability of late...
I agree with these posts. LSchenn has been solid lately, not bad, but definitely not a stud. This is what I expect out of him with the skills he has and does not have; a solid 2nd/3rd pairing defensive d-man.

Still wish he had better skating, but that is why he is a stay at home guy...

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 11:59 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I agree with these posts. LSchenn has been solid lately, not bad, but definitely not a stud. This is what I expect out of him with the skills he has and does not have; a solid 2nd/3rd pairing defensive d-man.

Still wish he had better skating, but that is why he is a stay at home guy...
ill take ''solid lately,stay at home'' schenn anyday over the schenn i was watching for most of the season.huge improvement.
be nice to see a few more of his signature ''luke the destroyer'' hits though.i know berube is all about not taking penalties,maybe he has reined luke in.if so,too bad...love that part of his game.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 12:16 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
ill take ''solid lately,stay at home'' schenn anyday over the schenn i was watching for most of the season.huge improvement.
be nice to see a few more of his signature ''luke the destroyer'' hits though.i know berube is all about not taking penalties,maybe he has reined luke in.if so,too bad...love that part of his game.
Ehh, it's nice to have an intimidating defense but I think that was one of Luke's problems that he's progressed on nicely. The hits were big and entertaining, but way too often he gets out of position to go for the hit, or lets the player make a play with the puck just so he can get the hit.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
This is what I get for trying to read advanced stat lines quickly. The categories I linked are clearly ES. Sigh, apologies.
Unacceptable! Go stand in the corner...go on.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:14 AM
3Fs

Quote:
The bone crushing hits have all but disappeared from the Flyers game. What is so surprising is I blame the coach because it stopped when chief took over and he was a big tough player, so I am confused when he is taking hitting out of their game.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:40 AM
jeff leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
The bone crushing hits have all but disappeared from the Flyers game. What is so surprising is I blame the coach because it stopped when chief took over and he was a big tough player, so I am confused when he is taking hitting out of their game.
Honestly it's better when Luke isn't doing his hitting thing because a good half of his signature bonecrushing hits end up with him out of the play. He's been playing better lately but again. Watched this guy for years in toronto. I knew he was trouble when he walked in

jeff leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:51 AM
onlylordsvsmorebp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Ehh, it's nice to have an intimidating defense but I think that was one of Luke's problems that he's progressed on nicely. The hits were big and entertaining, but way too often he gets out of position to go for the hit, or lets the player make a play with the puck just so he can get the hit.
yeah,defence first absolutely...but just once in a while to set the tone or if we are way ahead or behind.but you are right,its the fact he is making less glaring mistakes is why im becoming so optimistic about luke.
speaking of turnarounds anybody else blown away that the flyers we watched the other night in san jose and actually the whole cali trip are even the same team we saw get ***** slapped by the bruins only a couple of games ago.we really are alot closer than i thought.
just a couple more pieces...

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 02:07 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Playoffs.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:45 PM
DecadesofFutility

Proposal Schenn for MacDonald

Anyone think we could get Andrew MacDonald from the Islanders for Luke Schenn?
Not sure its a tremendous upgrade but, MacDonald is a much faster skater than Luke.
He is going to want more money than Luke is getting paid so maybe the Isles think its a good offer.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:48 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Anyone think we could get Andrew MacDonald from the Islanders for Luke Schenn?
Not sure its a tremendous upgrade but, MacDonald is a much faster skater than Luke.
He is going to want more money than Luke is getting paid so maybe the Isles think its a good offer.
MacDonald is a UFA at the end of the year. If they have interest, why not just go after him in July?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
FLYERSFAN18

IMO the only defenseman we really need an upgrade for is Grossmann, since we aren't getting a true #1. If we can trade him an bring in a guy who can skate an play defense it would make the second pairing much better.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

Staples, the beat writer for the Isladers said one GM told him the price to acquire Macdonald is a 2nd rounder+5th rounder. Why would you give up Luke Schenn when you can just throw those two picks at them.

I don't want Macdonald anyway. Not worth it.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:12 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
MacDonald is a UFA at the end of the year. If they have interest, why not just go after him in July?
You can wait and try to outbid other teams but, in the recent past it has not worked so well. (Suter , Parise).
I would rather have him on the roster, and convince him that the Flyers are where he wants to sign.
We could then resign him before he becomes a UFA.

In addition, his speed would be an upgrade over Luke, and we could move on from the
JVR-L.Schenn trade controversy.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:15 PM
GagneHanson12

...And if he walks those same people will say we traded JVR for basically nothing.

GagneHanson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Staples, the beat writer for the Isladers said one GM told him the price to acquire Macdonald is a 2nd rounder+5th rounder. Why would you give up Luke Schenn when you can just throw those two picks at them.

I don't want Macdonald anyway. Not worth it.
Maybe you see Schenn as more valuable than that.
I think the Flyers should acquire MacDonald if that is all they want in return.
We need to upgrade the speed of the defense, He would be an upgrade over Grossman.

Then maybe they could trade Grossman to recover a 2nd round pick.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneHanson12 View Post
...And if he walks those same people will say we traded JVR for basically nothing.
LOL.
There is always the chance that you will not sign him. but I think your chances
are greater if he has a chance to experience what it is to play for the Flyers.
Thats what Holmgren does all the time, give away team assets for nothing.
Why should he change now?

Last edited by DecadesofFutility: 02-07-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old
02-07-2014, 03:19 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
You can wait and try to outbid other teams but, in the recent past it has not worked so well. (Suter , Parise).
I would rather have him on the roster, and convince him that the Flyers are where he wants to sign.
We could then resign him before he becomes a UFA.

In addition, his speed would be an upgrade over Luke, and we could move on from the
JVR-L.Schenn trade controversy.
That doesn't always work either. The Islanders just found that out with Vanek and the Flyers also got that treatment from Hamhuis a couple of years ago.

There's no need to move on from the Schenn/JVR controversy, because there isn't one. Schenn is fine when partnered with Gus, who's basically as good as MacDonald anyway. Why should they overpay for that?

Old
02-07-2014, 03:39 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
That doesn't always work either. The Islanders just found that out with Vanek and the Flyers also got that treatment from Hamhuis a couple of years ago.

There's no need to move on from the Schenn/JVR controversy, because there isn't one. Schenn is fine when partnered with Gus, who's basically as good as MacDonald anyway. Why should they overpay for that?

LOL.
Luke Schenn is fine (Okay) when a speedier more skilled player covers for his frequent mistakes.
And you accept that, I love the lowered expectations for a high #1 round pick.
MacDonald is much faster than Schenn or Grossman and would be an upgrade.

A 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick for a top 4 defenseman is not overpayment.
At this point neither Schenn or Grossman should be considered a top 4 defenseman.
You are paying to upgrade team speed, so at some point either Grossman or Schenn needs to be traded.

Old
02-07-2014, 04:06 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
LOL.
Luke Schenn is fine (Okay) when a speedier more skilled player covers for his frequent mistakes.

A 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick for a top 4 defenseman is not overpayment.
At this point neither Schenn or Grossman should be considered a top 4 defenseman.
You are paying to upgrade team speed, so at some point either Grossman or Schenn needs to be traded.
By most accounts from Islander fans, MacDonald has played like a bottom pairing defenseman this year. At 27 years old, he's only been a solid second pairing defeseman for one year of his career. You really want to overpay (likely) for that?

Old
02-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Curufinwe

No more overpaying #4 guys like MacDonald. Let another team give him the $5m a year he wants.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
LOL.

What does his draft pick have anything to do with how he plays? Thomas Hickey was a #4 draft pick and has been pretty bad. After they're drafted, their draft position means nothing.

Luke is what he is. And honestly, unless you're Zdeno Chara or Chris Pronger etc, your partner is going to effect your play. Luke is no different.