HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Does Langfeld success switch the Sens primary trade need?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 09:18 PM
officeglen

vCash: 500
Does Langfeld success switch the Sens primary trade need?

Our primary need as of two weeks ago was on LW. However the emergence of Langfeld as a LW quasi-power forward after years of dormancy might switch the trade targeting of the Sens.

The idea of obtaining Bondra was to help the LW and provide a possible point QB for the second unit PP. However Langfeld has fixed the LW and provided good size, board work, and willingness to be around the opponents net: not the skill set of the stealth Bondra.

Perhaps the Sens primary target should now be a D who can play PP QB and decent enough D for a regular 5/6 D. Again this would help the second unit PP, but it would also provide D depth for a long playoff run. Since the Sens have good young D, this player should not be a permanent move but instead just a playoff rental of a UFA2B.

So my question is this: should the Sens still trade assets like our 1st pick for a LW, or switch to looking for that extra D with PP QB skills? And the related second question, still think Mucks has a Bondra offer on the table?

Old
01-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Don Draper

I have been thinking alot about this recently. By no means is Langfeld Ottawas answer to Ryan Smyth, but he is the cheap solution. My thinking is, why give up assets to fill a need, when it seems that it is being filled really well right now? I wouldnt really be worrying about the 5/6 defensemen if i was sure that Volchenkov would be coming back at full health, playing the same style as before. Sure, a powerplay qb for the second unit would be great, but i am not sure if that is worth giving away assets for. As i see it, we have pothier and Rachunek that we should be grooming into that role, so maybe we should just let things take its course. For me, the movable assets on the roster right now are Hnidy Schastlivy and (duck) Prusek. Unlike last year, our holes this year are small, probably smaller than they have been ever. Yes, goaltending has been suspect at best, but we all know that goalies can get hot and stay hot. Besides that, i think our situation is pretty sweet.

Just as a side note, our team right now is playing about as well as we thought they would in the offseason. In January, we are averaging 5.3 goals a game. That is just plain retarded. Just said that to add to the fact that adding an extra 20 goal scorer may not be what this team needs. I think all we need is some patience with our goaltending, and we will be fine

Old
01-30-2004, 10:18 PM
lafite

[QUOTE=officeglen]Our primary need as of two weeks ago was on LW. However the emergence of Langfeld as a LW quasi-power forward after years of dormancy might switch the trade targeting of the Sens.

I'm not sure Langfeld changes the trade need, but Lalime might have. Seriously.

Old
01-30-2004, 11:21 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
I think Ottawa could use a reliable, tough, stay at home defenseman more than a PP QB type.
I'd take a guy like Carney before a guy like Zhitnik. Wesley and Boughner are other good stay at home options, while Hill and the aforementioned Zhitnik would be solid additions as well.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Zoo

I like the sound of hill coming back to ottawa,he would be a very soild 5-6 defencemen,as for carney he would be very good too but we would have to send a bit more back in return the other way and like mucks said he dosen't won't to trade any players that are in the starting line up.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:45 AM
ErnestoGuevara

[QUOTE=officeglen]
Perhaps the Sens primary target should now be a D who can play PP QB and decent enough D for a regular 5/6 D. Again this would help the second unit PP, but it would also provide D depth for a long playoff run.QUOTE]

Could Pothier be that guy? Right now I am happy with Chara or Pothier/Rachunek on the second PP unit and I agree with Voodoo Daddy that a stay-at-home dman would be more usefull. The Sens have alot of depth at forward with guys like Schastlivy, Langfeld, Hamel, Payer, Tapper etc. but are lacking depth on the blueline: who on the farm would be ready to step up up in the NHL for the playoffs? I don't really have confidence in Smrek and I don't think Vauclair is ready. So let's say on of our top-4 guys get injured, and assuming Volchie isn't back, Hindy becomes our regular #6dman.

I think Mucks should move Schastlivy and a guy like Platil or Schubert (maybe add a pick to that depending on the return) for a guy who can play top4 minutes... Carney, Hill, etc.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:38 AM
J.P

See Vauclair had a 3pt night in Bingo!

Old
02-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Puck
Ninja

My thinking is that the Sens are a very talented team and their opponents are going to play them hard with lots of goonery and whatever they can get away with. THe Sens are going to witness a tackling rodeo in the post season. There is one school of thought that says we need a Bondra on the 2nd PP to make teams pay. Another school would like to see a Laraque-type acquisition. I can see that one too. Which school of thought do you belong to?

The third option and my first preference is Voodoo's. Get a tough mobile D to anchor the third pairing. Things drop off somewhat after the top 4 D. Get someone who could also move up to help out on the first two-pairings in a crunch or leave him on the third and bring up Anton to help on the top pairings with an experienced anchor. Even if Volchenkov's shoulder is ready to go in April, he was slow getting started at the start of the season and might take time getting going again...he's also just a 2nd year player. Not exactly bristling with experience.

After getting the D, then I'd go get whatever people decide is the priority from the first paragraph.

Closed Thread