HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Gillett sell the Canadiens?

Old
02-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Chehabi

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Could Gillett sell the Canadiens?

I think he's going to go. He went bankrupt some years ago and he bought a team in debt which he will have to devote 100% of his attention to. I heard he named his son Chairman of the Board at Liverpool and Gillett had committed him to the Habs before.

Chehabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Artyukhin*

WELL if he does sell i know a buyer living in hamiltion that was in GG luxury box a few months ago .

Liverpool has 0 debt Fwiw ...

all in the same breath Dallas Stars owner Hicks is also in with GG . These men have large cash .Think of all the bigtime concerts GG can stage now BIG $$$

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Mike8

As owner, he is within his rights to sell the franchise.

But there's no information we have on this. No speculation in the media about this. No implications that could possibly link to this conclusion, so I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread's a non-starter.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi View Post
I think he's going to go. He went bankrupt some years ago and he bought a team in debt which he will have to devote 100% of his attention to. I heard he named his son Chairman of the Board at Liverpool and Gillett had committed him to the Habs before.
GEG is where Gillett has made hundreds of millions, the Bell Center and Gillett entertainement is giving Gillett the money to pay this deal and Liverpool, his idea is to make GEG worldwide by using the new Arena in Liverpool to bring worldwide concerts.

Not alot of people know this but the Bell Center has become a Major spot for international tournies since Gillett's take over, the concerts and plethora of other events are bringing him MAJOR cash.

the Liverpool take over has more to do with GEG than Sports, thats what Hicks wants ( Hicks gets the soccer Money - Gillett gets the show money )

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I changed the thread title, because the previous one was too suggestive of something.

As for the topic, I thought about it since news of the Dubai consortium pulling their bid emerged. Personally, I don't think he will sell the Canadiens. The NHL is a great business to own now, with a fixed percentage of revenues going to the players. Owning the Montreal Canadiens is especially a great business, because we generate plenty of revenue as well, with the biggest building in the league. Presently, Forbes lists us as 3rd in team revenues ($90 M), and having a total value of 230 million USD (7th best in the NHL). I think the way Gillett has handled the Canadiens during his tenure has been extremely respectful, so I doubt he would want to sell it off.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
i will buy them and bring back the goal song

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I changed the thread title, because the previous one was too suggestive of something.

As for the topic, I thought about it since news of the Dubai consortium pulling their bid emerged. Personally, I don't think he will sell the Canadiens. The NHL is a great business to own now, with a fixed percentage of revenues going to the players. Owning the Montreal Canadiens is especially a great business, because we generate plenty of revenue as well, with the biggest building in the league. I think the way Gillett has handled the Canadiens during his tenure has been extremely respectful, so I doubt he would want to sell it off.
Funny one of the points during the lockout was : The Habs are breaking even, but the players wanted to know about GEG, I remember Lorne Ruben saying that GEG was quickly becoming a dominant entity in the '' showman '' industry. he mentionned possibly over 60 million of Revenues, when Gillet applied his bid to Liverpool speculation in England was that GEG was way over the 100 mill mark of anual revenue ...

Btw ... Gillett will never talk about this ...

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I love how you did that so fast. I used to post on the old HF back 5 or so years ago and a ridiculous number of threads had misleading titles. I think it becomes a habit. Old title did have a question mark and does have solid ground upon which to make a statement like that though.

Chehabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
If you do that, you will be my hero forever

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Maddas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
WELL if he does sell i know a buyer living in hamiltion that was in GG luxury box a few months ago .

Liverpool has 0 debt Fwiw ...

all in the same breath Dallas Stars owner Hicks is also in with GG . These men have large cash .Think of all the bigtime concerts GG can stage now BIG $$$

Not anymore

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Squeaky

The habs are making piles of money, and Gainey and Boivin are the guys who do the bulk of the work running the team, not GG. Besides which, doesn't GG live in North America? Most of his business interests are here, so I bet he takes a pretty hands-off approach to owning Liverpool. I see absolutely no reason why GG would sell, or any reason to worry about it.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
i'll contribute 20$ to that!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi View Post
Franchise values are up, so I suppose its a good time to liquidate. Couldn't blame the guy.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote