HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michal Rozsival or Karel Rachunek?

Old
02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Michal Rozsival or Karel Rachunek?

What's the story on Michal Rozsival? I watched him play a decent amount last season and I wasn't a big fan (he seems to make a lot of mental errors a la Bergeron) but he has apparently been very solid for the Rangers this year. He's currently on pace for about 40 points this year and he plays almost 23 minutes a night for New York.

His powerplay numbers aren't exactly thrilling (he's floating along at 2.87 PP points/hour right now) but I wouldn't be shocked if the Oilers are considering making a move for him given the apparent presence of New York scouts at Edmonton's games over the last week or so.

Would Rozsival be a decent option? If so, what would he likely cost to acquire? I'm not sold that he's a huge upgrade on Bergeron but I haven't seen him play enough this year to really make a true judgment.

02-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

He is an intriguing option. Possibly a decent #3 dman. His numbers are good, plus minus last year was fantastic, this year not so much.

From what I have seen (which is limited) he is steady compared to Bergeron, while not having as much of an offensive flair.
Not sure about what we would give up, I hate making proposals.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Cerebral

Two more things to consider:

One, Rozsival is making $1.9 million this year (so he would cost less than $500 000 at the deadline) and $2.3 million next year - does that make him a more attractive option?

Two, he's playing absolute butter-soft minutes based on the numbers at Behindthenet.ca (he's ranked 512th out of 579 players). Then again, every Rangers defenceman seems to have a pretty bad ranking - Ward is 396, Tyutin is 434, Rachunek is 475, Malik is 492 and Kasper/Ozolinsh are both even further down the list. Something has to give...

Is Rozsival a better option than Rachunek? Rachunek appears to be a RFA next year - he looked like he might have some solid offensive potential in Ottawa but that hasn't really emerged in New York this year. Then again, his 4.96 PP points/hour rating in limited PP minutes is pretty impressive.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:11 AM
TheGreatone94

I would rather have Rozsival than Rachunek. That said, I think either of them would be a good fit playing with Staios. Rosie was NYR's top guy last year I believe and he would make a decent 3/4 playing with Staios. His ability to move the puck would be a good asset.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Cerebral

After taking a closer look at the two, my first impression is that Rachunek might be the wiser choice. He has been playing a lot of minutes lately for New York and it looks like he might have a little untapped offensive potential - take a look at his powerplay stats over the years...

Powerplay Points/Hour

2000-01: 4.59
2001-02: 2.38ile
2002-03: 4.83
2003-04: 5.11
2006-07: 4.96

I started out the thread thinking Rozsival might be a decent option but I'm now thinking Rachunek looks like a great potential pickup for Lowe. Granted he has played on some good powerplay units during his time in the NHL but he has put up some very solid numbers in limited minutes. Add in the fact that he put up some great offensive numbers in Russia last season and he's still only 27 and this is a guy I'd love to see Lowe take a chance on. I think Mr. Sakich started a Rachunek thread a while back, I'm totally jumping on that hype train.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Its funny cause off the top of my head I was thinking Rachunek as a no brainer (probably because of his career path vs. Rozsival's), but the more I looked the more I noticed how similar they are.

Actually, based on their latest performance, I would pick Rozsival over Rachunek. Did anyone notice that he had 3-19-22 in 21 games for WBS in the 2001 playoffs? The guy looks like he could be clutch when the games are big.

02-06-2007, 02:44 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I really don't like either option. I saw Rachunek in Ottawa and he really wasn't impressive. Rozsival could work as a #4 but we already have a second set. We need a better D. Someone that can play on the top pairing.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I really don't like either option. I saw Rachunek in Ottawa and he really wasn't impressive. Rozsival could work as a #4 but we already have a second set. We need a better D. Someone that can play on the top pairing.
Honestly I've always thought we could use a guy in the 1-2 slot and a guy in the 3-4. I think this could really settle our D down and give Mac T more options on who to play in the bottom pair.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
GSC

I like Rachunek, would love to get him. I think he could definitely produce here, he was solid in Ottawa.

Rozsival has "spaz" written all over him, I remember his time with the Pens and I wasn't fond of the way he played.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Wolfpack

I had never really heard much about Rozsival but after taking a look at his stats it looks like he could be one of those d-men that are just hitting their offensive stride at age 28. Based on his out-of-this-world +/- from last year I'm thinking he can't be all THAT bad defensively... maybe a good fit as a 3-4 guy in Edmonton?

I know we need a 1-2 guy, but anyone who can come in and add something to the PP and take some of the "tougher" 5-on-5 minutes away from players like Bergeron, Greene and Smid is going to help this team. If he is better than Hejda and Tjarnqvist then let's get him.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
westcory

I would take Rosival in a heart beat but I dont see the Rangers unloading at the deadline, they could go far in the playoffs and they need a dman so I dont see them letting a good one go. I mentioned in Novemeber how well this guy would fit into the Oilers lineup.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote