HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BROWNLEE - todays article

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 09:14 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
BROWNLEE - todays article

It's stupid that I was on the net SO early in the morning that I as I went to switch stories on Canoe the ones for today (saturday) popped up. So, of course I checked them out. I have not, and really, am not a big supporter of Brownlee, however - dammit he wrote the best article so far this year on the Oilers for me. Robin if you see this - I don't agree with what you say, and actually you can downright piss me off, but that was a great article - you're great when you stick to this kind of stuff and layoff the speculation bull$h!t

Old
01-31-2004, 01:18 PM
pucklove

I wouldn't supose you have a link? I'm feeling lazy

Old
01-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Oilers Hockey

Is it Old TIme Hawk-y?

Here it is:

Old-time Hawk-y

ROBIN BROWNLEE, EDMONTON SUN

Sometimes, nasty comes easy. Like, when you're sick as hell of losing and ready to blow a frontal lobe because there's an endless swarm of know-it-alls toting notepads and microphones sticking the tools of their trade under your nose to duly document the torment.

Like, when you're waiting in the nine-items-or-less express line at the Happy Mart and some clown plunks down 64 tins of peas and four frozen pizzas, then asks for lottery tickets and a carton of lung rockets before trying to pay by Canadian Tire money or cheque.

Snap. Lose it. Overreact.

Like, if you're name is Jason Smith or Igor Ulanov.

That power shot of unadulterated venom is relatively easy to come by then, and the Edmonton Oilers had plenty of it when they filed into Rexall Place Thursday with furrowed brows and made it clear to the Chicago Blackhawks they'd had enough in a 5-2 win.

Nasty works for the Oilers, who can't beat a lot of teams on talent alone, but have shown time and again their chances of winning are bolstered considerably if they play with a sneer on their faces and measured mayhem on their minds.

Having blown off steam against Chicago, the trick for the Oilers now is to summon the same unhappy frame of mind when the Los Angeles come calling tonight as they attempt to battle back into playoff contention in the Western Conference.

Did we mention that's probably a lost cause?

"Part of being nasty is just having the mindset you're just going to win the game," said Ethan Moreau.

"It's like, hey, that other team is trying to take away our playoff spot. That should bring it out in everybody. Having said that, you can't be taking stupid penalties every shift, but we can learn from what we did Thursday."

BEGGING FOR A LOOK

Losers of three straight and fading in the playoff race, the Oilers faced the Blackhawks mad at themselves and looking like a team just begging for somebody to look at them the wrong way.

Losing will do that. At least it should.

The return of Smith, who is one of the nicest people you want to meet until he straps it on and the puck drops, after missing 14 games with a fractured ankle, had plenty to do with it, too. The Blackhawks obliged. It was on.

"The way they played us, it was perfect for us because we're going to get big hits and we're going to be aggressive," Moreau said. "(Tonight) will be more of a test.

"Teams that play conservative, you have to work for your hits because they don't present themselves as much, but if we don't do it, we won't be successful. We have to jack it every game."

There was Smith scrapping with Travis Moen. Ulanov, engaging and funny off the ice but as black-hearted as the captain when the game begins, sent Ryan VandenBussche to the bench, blowing snot bubbles after a clean, open-ice hit. For good measure he ran at Tuomo Ruutu a couple of times, too.

There was Georges Laraque getting as good as he gave from Shawn Thornton and Shawn Horcoff, for crying out loud, wanting some of Burke Henry in the final minute. It was great stuff.

"For me, it was a case of the veterans stepping up and playing with the type of intensity we expect out of them," coach Craig MacTavish said. "That's where it has to come from ... we know the situation, too. Desperate times call for desperate measures and I think that was an instance."

Let's get something straight. There's no Rock 'Em Sock 'Em, Volume XIV tapes on sale here. This isn't a call for Gong Show after Gong Show from now until April 3.

The Oilers will need a lot more of the goaltending they got from Tommy Salo Thursday to have any sniff at climbing back into the top eight. The power play needs to be better. With Mike York out, the Oilers need Ales Hemsky to regain his form and Adam Oates to do something more than win faceoffs.

GAME FRAME OF MIND

That said, what the Oilers need in equal part is to play their final 30 games in the same frame of mind as Thursday, when even MacTavish wanted some in a morning scrum with reporters.

"It's the position we're in right now. We need every single point," said Ulanov. "That's how it is.

"We have 20 guys and if everybody delivers one or two hits a game, it's a big advantage. Hits can turn a game around. You see what it does to the fans and your teammates."

Edgy. Ugly. Nasty.

Call it what you will. The Oilers need to be offended the other team even thinks they can beat them from here on out. Whatever it takes to get there, find it.

"You've got to trick your mind," Moreau said. "We're going to be playing 30 games in less than 60 nights. You have to trick your mind. You have to get pissed off.

"Obviously, the big picture is the playoffs and that's something to play for. Maybe you line up a guy who took the puck off you. You have that hunger he's not going to do it again and if he does, he's going to have to pay a price somehow."

Sixty-four tins of peas isn't one item, pal.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...31/330943.html

Old
01-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Oilers Hockey

Good article. That's exactly how I want them to play; ugly & mean as hell. I want other fans and especially other players to hate playing the Oilers; I want them sore and banged up after a game. They have to show this kind of intensity to show they can't be walked all over. I don't expect them to be the 2nd coming of the Broad Street Bullies but show some toughness dammit!

Is it wishful thinking that they could do this every game? Yes. But a great article nonetheless. Hockey players read newspapers right? Even though they would never admit they do.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:42 PM
pucklove

Thanks Hemskyfan, you rock
My computer skills suck (I'm a long way from my commodore 64 )
I joined this board because I couldn't stand the current media writers and I've never been disapointed.(I'm such a suck up eh!)

Old
01-31-2004, 03:20 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
wow, Rubin's getting some love here today! I'll have to pass that on to him tonight.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:30 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
[QUOTE=hemskyfan]. Ulanov, engaging and funny off the ice but as black-hearted as the captain when the game begins, sent Ryan VandenBussche to the bench, blowing snot bubbles after a clean, open-ice hit.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:13 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
wow, Rubin's getting some love here today! I'll have to pass that on to him tonight.
Guy - Is he aware of how much he's hated here? Does he ever read these boards?

Old
01-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Guy - Is he aware of how much he's hated here? Does he ever read these boards?
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=48174

Old
01-31-2004, 05:33 PM
Slats432

I am not a big fan of Robin's simply because it sure as heck looked like he was not totally impartial in the way he reported the Comrie situation. And I suppose if I am a Sun writer and one side keeps feeding me scoops, then I am not going to rake them over the coals as much.

That was personal. And if you go back you see a lot of times in the Brownlee articles that he didn't talk about the Van Ryn rule, he didn't talk about the blackmails, leaving NCAA in a lurch to go to the CHL just to put the gears to Lowe.

All we got was poor Edmonton boy getting shafted...oh the travesty of Lowe asking poor like millionaire for cash.

That notwithstanding, this article is good and much of his writing has merit. But in the future, when the situation is personal, he has to come across as not on one side or another.

Old
01-31-2004, 06:27 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I am not a big fan of Robin's simply because it sure as heck looked like he was not totally impartial in the way he reported the Comrie situation. And I suppose if I am a Sun writer and one side keeps feeding me scoops, then I am not going to rake them over the coals as much.

That was personal. And if you go back you see a lot of times in the Brownlee articles that he didn't talk about the Van Ryn rule, he didn't talk about the blackmails, leaving NCAA in a lurch to go to the CHL just to put the gears to Lowe.

All we got was poor Edmonton boy getting shafted...oh the travesty of Lowe asking poor like millionaire for cash.

That notwithstanding, this article is good and much of his writing has merit. But in the future, when the situation is personal, he has to come across as not on one side or another.
One of my first rants on this board was about Brownlee and how I felt he wasn't being fair to the Oilers. In his reply Guy informed me that as a columnist Brownlee did not have to report 'facts'. As such I now view Brownlee as someone who writes his opinion just as we do on this board. We are not required to look objectively at anything and neither, apparently, is he. Unfortunately for us his audience is somewhat larger than ours so his views are seen as more credible.

Having said that he is an excellent source of up-to-date news that we otherwise do not have access to.

Last edited by ZIM: 02-01-2004 at 01:33 AM.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Matts

Simply Put

there's no objective media in Edm. Sure Jones went off on Lowe but why the heck not? The team sucks and the GM has made some very questionable decisions. Lowe has gotten a free ride since he took the job so while I'm not a real fan of Jones, at least he had the seeds to at least for once seperate himself from the masses that wait for the Lowe and MacT nuggets.

Closed Thread