HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2014, 04:16 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
currently employed by the best team in the nhl

people are playing down conacher because he turned back into a pumpkin after the deal--playing with the bolts he looked like the real deal
Not really. He looked like a guy that was getting his stats inflated playing with one of the best players in the league. I was unsure of Bishop at the time, but I was pretty confident Conacher would turn out to be nothing special

02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Why would the Kings and Canucks be so careful not to trade within their division, and yet the Senators traded Bishop inside their division? The reality is that we didn't offer anything for Bishop. Management likes to pretend they did though.
The more likely scenario is because Ottawa didn't think trading someone who up to that point was a minor league goalie (albeit one with good stats picked up over 5 years in the AHL) would have much chance of directly hurting their team in the standings like Vancouver was thinking about if they'd dealt Schneider, a much more proven commodity, inside their division.

Old
02-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Management has a legit excuse for failing to get Schneider and Bernier, but no excuse for failing to get Bishop.

Why would the Kings and Canucks be so careful not to trade within their division, and yet the Senators traded Bishop inside their division? The reality is that we didn't offer anything for Bishop. Management likes to pretend they did though.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The Oilers DID make an offer.

"The Oilers apparently offered winger Ryan Jones.... and somewhere between a second and a fourth-round pick. Tampa was pitching little winger Cory Conacher and a fourth-rounder. The Senators liked Conacher better, so he wound up in Tampa."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...oilers-jersey/

Old
02-05-2014, 04:35 PM
OilerFan4Life

With how bad and useless Conacher has been, I wonder if Murray is kicking himself for not taking Jones + the 2nd.

Old
02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
OilerFan4Life

Also, how come Ottawa gets ripped for giving up on Bishop but not St. Louis?

The Blues chose Bryan Elliott over Bishop....lol.

Old
02-05-2014, 04:51 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Bishop 3rd in league in GAA, Scrivens 4th
Scrivens 1st in league in sav%, Bishop 2nd

should TOR and LA be kicking themselves too?

OTT has Lehner and Anderson
LA has Quick, Jones
STL has Halak, Elliot has better numbers than Halak and Jake Allen is ready for NHL.

Each team traded from an organizational strength and filled other holes.

Old
02-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. The Oilers DID make an offer.

"The Oilers apparently offered winger Ryan Jones.... and somewhere between a second and a fourth-round pick. Tampa was pitching little winger Cory Conacher and a fourth-rounder. The Senators liked Conacher better, so he wound up in Tampa."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...oilers-jersey/
Yeah, I had trouble grasping how TB's offer was better than Edmonton's, especially if Edmonton was offering a higher pick.

Old
02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Because Elliott was and is still playing very well. There was no reason for St Louis to move one of Halak/Elliott, Bishop at the time was an unproven goalie.

The reason Ottawa gets ripped is because Bishop has played waaaaaay better then either Andersson/Lehner.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Back to one trade rumour for every twenty horrendous trade proposals.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Lots of info from 30 Thoughts this week:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...ic-debate.html
#6 is misleading. The Oilers cannot choose to retain salary for only one year. The %-age is fixed across the remaining contract.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:09 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Back to one trade rumour for every twenty horrendous trade proposals.
Agreed. I liked separate rumors and proposals threads way more than I like this cluster**** of a thread.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Mr Sakich

I am willing to donate money for a Tim Hortons gift card if that convinces a moderator to volunteer keeping two separate threads in line.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Krut

I have it on very strong authority (mods PM me if you wish) that the Senators were willing to deal Bishop to the Oilers for Jones and a 2nd, but Tambo turned it down because the Senators wanted the Oilers 2nd, but Tambo was only willing to give away the Ducks 2nd rounder.

That's how bloody conservative that idiot GM was.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:26 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I have it on very strong authority (mods PM me if you wish) that the Senators were willing to deal Bishop to the Oilers for Jones and a 2nd, but Tambo turned it down because the Senators wanted the Oilers 2nd, but Tambo was only willing to give away the Ducks 2nd rounder.

I've heard this as well.

Either way Bishop plays for Tampa now. That ship has sailed.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I saw something about Spec speculating on L. Schenn to the Oilers?

I dunno. Schenn has been shaky in his last season with the Leafs and with Philly.

At the same time, he's young enough where he can turn it around. Young D-man have some slumps all the time. Take Coburn and Myers for example.

At the same time, I'm not sure I have enough faith in MacT to get atleast a rock solid LHD to pair with Schenn to form a solid pairing. It'd have to be a clear cut top-pairing guy (think Edler).

02-05-2014, 05:32 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I saw something about Spec speculating on L. Schenn to the Oilers?

I dunno. Schenn has been shaky in his last season with the Leafs and with Philly.

At the same time, he's young enough where he can turn it around. Young D-man have some slumps all the time. Take Coburn and Myers for example.

At the same time, I'm not sure I have enough faith in MacT to get atleast a rock solid LHD to pair with Schenn to form a solid pairing. It'd have to be a clear cut top-pairing guy (think Edler).
Woah woah woah... I do not think he is being pursued to be a first pair RD... I htink MacT and Lowe just see Smith/Staios material in him and want to develop him right... we were once the best in NHL at turning around those kinds of guys into useful players

You know honestly I think The Captain would be a good mentor... they have similar strengths weaknesses... for all of Ference's failings so far he is a wily vet with lots to teach... just what Schenn could benefit from

?-J. Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Ference-L. Schenn

Schultz is the one I worry about us ruining... has looked much better lately and will benefit from Olympic break more than any one player on our team... but he badly needs a minute eater LD to cover for him and teach him the game

Old
02-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Lindo

Quote:

I hate Tambellini so much.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:50 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Bishop 3rd in league in GAA, Scrivens 4th
Scrivens 1st in league in sav%, Bishop 2nd

should TOR and LA be kicking themselves too?

OTT has Lehner and Anderson
LA has Quick, Jones
STL has Halak, Elliot has better numbers than Halak and Jake Allen is ready for NHL.

Each team traded from an organizational strength and filled other holes.
You didn't answer my question. I said why does Ottawa get ripped and not St. Louis?

Do you disagree that Bishop is better than Halak and Elliott right now?

Old
02-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

What if the Oilers went a different route and rolled with 3 solid pairs of #3/4 d-men instead of trying to worry about landing that big fish and trading away big assets to get it?

You could play whoever was going that particular night a little more and switch things up from game to game depending on who matched up well with who.

This way we'd never be relying too much on one or two guys but being able to roll with 6 solid interchangeable D that could go on any given night.

Perhaps this would free up money to be spent else wear?

Old
02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Yak City

If we're trading for project defensemen like Luke Schenn, then we're going to have to start trading some of our D prospects.

We don't need more bottom-pairing capable, "maybe NHL ready", or "top 4 potential in a few years" guys. We have tons already. We could legitimately have Klefbom, Marincin, and Nurse all making a case for NHL employment next season (which would be a double-edged sword; great to see that progress, cannot have half of our d be rookies), with guys like Fedun already hitting the point where they should be either getting minutes or being traded before they walk.

Ideally, we need a legitimate top-pairing guy, at the very least a "top 4 now, top pairing potential" young guy, or another blue-chip stud like Nurse. For the latter, we're all hoping that's where Ekblad comes in, but I don't see Schenn fitting in any of those.

Old
02-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:

That's a real piss-off if true. I wonder what other moves he could have made but didn't.

Old
02-05-2014, 06:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That's a real piss-off if true. I wonder what other moves he could have made but didn't.
I don't even want to know...

Old
02-05-2014, 06:06 PM
fysloc

But what if Bishop didn't pan out to what he is? Then everybody would be ripping him for giving up a second round pick.

Old
02-05-2014, 06:09 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I hate Tambellini so much.
That's also the move that was rumoured to be the last straw for Lowe and Katz and spurred on the replacement of Tambo with MacT. So at least it got rid of Tambo.

Old
02-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
But what if Bishop didn't pan out to what he is? Then everybody would be ripping him for giving up a second round pick.
When I first heard the rumour about Jones and the 2nd for Bishop (back when it originally leaked), and I thought it was the Sens that turned it down, I was ok with what we would have given up. I was actually more sad about Jones going but that's another story.

I thought Elliott would have been a good 1B in tandem with Dubnyk fighting for the starting job. If he didn't pan out that would have been fine, at least we would have tried something different.

Closed Thread