HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2014, 06:26 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I have it on very strong authority (mods PM me if you wish) that the Senators were willing to deal Bishop to the Oilers for Jones and a 2nd, but Tambo turned it down because the Senators wanted the Oilers 2nd, but Tambo was only willing to give away the Ducks 2nd rounder.

That's how bloody conservative that idiot GM was.
Yeah, I think Friedman said the same in one of his "30 thoughts" columns earlier in the year.

02-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

vCash: 500
"What is certain is that Lombardi has spoken with the Edmonton Oilers about a trade for center Sam Gagner, although the Kings are having trouble fitting Gagner's $4.4-million salary under the salary cap. But that doesn't mean Lombardi will stop trying between now and the March 5 trade deadline..."

Read More - http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...#ixzz2sUu7KX3S

Old
02-05-2014, 06:34 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
"What is certain is that Lombardi has spoken with the Edmonton Oilers about a trade for center Sam Gagner, although the Kings are having trouble fitting Gagner's $4.4-million salary under the salary cap. But that doesn't mean Lombardi will stop trying between now and the March 5 trade deadline..."

Read More - http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...#ixzz2sUu7KX3S
So likely nothing until after the Olympics then

02-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
So likely nothing until after the Olympics then
And the Kings probably want the Oilers to retain or take back salary.

Last edited by Powder: 02-05-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 06:46 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That's also the move that was rumoured to be the last straw for Lowe and Katz and spurred on the replacement of Tambo with MacT. So at least it got rid of Tambo.
It got rid of Tambo, but is MacT any better? I'm not as confident as some others here that MacT is a "smart hockey guy" and is miles better than Tambo, and he sure hasn't proven it thus far.
I guess we'll see.

Also, I'm all for dealing Gagner, but dealing him for a combination of 4th liners or draft picks is the definition of selling low and asset mismanagement. Clifford is a glorified Ben Eager this season and that's the possible centerpiece for a decent scoring 2nd line player? Yeesh.
I sure hope that MacT isn't dumb enough to deal Gagner at rock bottom low value. He screwed the pooch by not dealing him in the offseason as an RFA coming off of a career season.
Same with Yakupov. This would be the worst possible time to deal him.

As far as the trade threads are concerned.
Why not just leave the Trade Rumor thread stickied with a note in bold that the thread is for "RUMORS ONLY" and leave the proposal thread where it currently is?
They did that on the Business board with the lockout news and it worked out just fine.
Having both threads unstickied understandably creates a lot of confusion.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
meh... talk about hindsight being 20\20.. Bishop was at the same level as Scrivens, Holtby, Khudobin. Imagine the backlash had we traded Gagner (top 50 in league scoring) for Bishop, a backup goalie for OTT with stats worse than Dubnyk.

TB got lucky and Bishop became a gem. To say "no excuse for failing to get Bishop" is flat out wrong. I wouldnt have given more than a 2nd for him. Not even Paajarvi.
nope. It was not luck, and it's not hindsight. Tampa went after him to be their starter for a reason. I was high on Bishop at the time, not because I was psychic and knew he could put up elite numbers, but because he was a young goalie with extremely good numbers who could challenge Dubnyk. We never seemed to go after someone like that and they were rarely available. Bishop would have been a similar addition as Justin Schultz. Young, unproven, but all the potential in the world and NHL ready.

Connacher was never that great. He was in calder talks but did not have a clear-cut lead. Even if he weren't so old he wouldn't have won it. GMs notice things like size and age.

I think the Paajarvi comparison was a good one. If anything he was more valuable than Connacher. We had other assets as well, and we had the upper hand and could offer less than Tampa did because we weren't a division rival.

Last edited by Mr Positive: 02-05-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: bad writing lol
Old
02-05-2014, 07:01 PM
rockinghockey

I am curious to hear from you guys what you think is fair value for Gagner to LA. I am worried that MacT will get ripped off. I don't mind keep some money as it is only for two more years after this one but I don't want to give Gagner away as I feel he does have value.
What players would you want back? Players I like are:
Toffoli
Pearson
Muzzin
King
Clifford but he is more of a 4th liner I am hearing he is not playing well this year
1st round pick
Forbort he is a left shot dman and we have plenty of those
Zykov another prospect that I liked at the draft last year.
As far as players there is not one player on that list I would trade Gagner straight across for especially if we are retaining salary.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Natepollock92

I think looking ahead this off season a gem that most people wont see is Thomas Greiss. He's played well his entire career mostly as a backup even when he was young, hes 27 i can see him taking a starting position by the neck, we'd get high end performance for like 2-3 million per with Scrivens potentially at back up.

Benoit Pouliot could be a solid acquisition as well, hes shown hes one of the most solid and cheapest depth players in the league. 3rd line of Hendricks-Gordon-Pouliot?

Depending on whether TOR sign him or not Bolland could be an amazing pick up at #2 center in a shut down line. trade for a gritty right wing and you've got a Perron-Bolland-X line lol (Callahan? Downie? simmonds by trade?)

As for trading Gagner or Yak i think either at the draft or next season would be far more advantageous, as their value would most likely be up. Selling low on very young players is never good.

Last edited by Natepollock92: 02-05-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 07:09 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It got rid of Tambo, but is MacT any better? I'm not as confident as some others here that MacT is a "smart hockey guy" and is miles better than Tambo, and he sure hasn't proven it thus far.
Hasn't proven it thus far??? He dealt a healthy scratch for a likely 30 goal scorer... then a 3rd for a goalie who literally made history just the other day... to say nothing of team's inspired play since Hendricks got here... what else does he have to do to show he is better than Tambellini???

Old
02-05-2014, 07:11 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natepollock92 View Post
Benoit Pouliot could be a solid acquisition as well, he has a history in Edmonton but has shown hes one of the most solid and cheapest depth players in the league. 3rd line of Hendricks-Gordon-Pouliot?
Did you just confuse Marc Pouliot for a real NHL player???

Old
02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
rockinghockey

I am happy with what MacT has accomplished so far as a GM. If he does trade Gagner that will be a big determining factor. If he gives Gagner away for the sake of moving him I am not for that. Majority of fans knew that Gagner should of been moved last summer when his value was high.
I don't want to move Gagner just for the sake of moving him.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I am curious to hear from you guys what you think is fair value for Gagner to LA. I am worried that MacT will get ripped off. I don't mind keep some money as it is only for two more years after this one but I don't want to give Gagner away as I feel he does have value.
Toffoli
Pearson
Muzzin
King
Clifford but he is more of a 4th liner I am hearing he is not playing well this year
1st round pick
As far as players there is not one player on that list I would trade Gagner straight across for especially if we are retaining salary.
For me I think I'd be looking at Toffoli or Muzzin. Value wise I don't know if that's going to happen unless the Oilers retain half of Gagner's salary and even add something for Toffoli.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:17 PM
rockinghockey

What do you guys think of a deal with Winnipeg:
Eberle for Kane
They get a skilled fwd which they really need and we get some size in the top 6 that we need. Both players signed to long term deals. I think it helps out both teams.
Hall; RNH; Perron
Kane; XXX; Yak
If we can get that 2C with size our top 6 would be a lot better.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:21 PM
soothsayer

Quote:
I am happy with what MacT has accomplished so far as a GM. If he does trade Gagner that will be a big determining factor. If he gives Gagner away for the sake of moving him I am not for that. Majority of fans knew that Gagner should of been moved last summer when his value was high.
I don't want to move Gagner just for the sake of moving him.
Hi Craig.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Toffoli
Not happening... cheap ELC LW with huge upside...

Quote:
Pearson
Meh... not all that interested... in a deal for Hemmer sure... but he is a slower playmaking left winger... no real place for him moving forward

Quote:
Muzzin
Not happening... not only do Kings have lots of D injuries but he is playing with Doughty... not that I think the value is there I just do not Lombardi realistically doing it... Alec Martinez different story

Quote:
King
Right... LA is trading 6'3 245 lbs forward for guy with the same amount of points... King is the reason Clifford is expendable... we are adding heavily to pry King out of a Kings uniform...

Quote:
In all reality it is Clifford + Martinez or some thing of that ilk... with LA trying to pressure MacT in holding back salary... if he holds out which he will LA will try and get into the Moulson sweepstakes... if they lose there they will eventually come around and pull the trigger on Gags at full price... but that price Oiler fans should know carries with it a price in terms of what we will get back (not a ton)...

Old
02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
For me I think I'd be looking at Toffoli or Muzzin. Value wise I don't know if that's going to happen unless the Oilers retain half of Gagner's salary and even add something for Toffoli.
Do you think Toffoli straight up for Gagner is fair value though?
He does bring in a bit of size at 6"1" 196lbs and will still put some weight on?
If they could get Clifford added in if we take some of Gagner's contract.
Who do we use as 2C bring Arco back up?
I don't see this deal going down until 5 Mar deadline as it would be less money we have to eat.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:26 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 227
Quote:
Toffoli
Pearson
Muzzin
King
1st round pick
LA is not a good trading partner, if Gagner is moved out it better be for a top 4 defenseman, this team bleeds defense, with the current defense we aren't going anywhere, doesn't matter how many goalies or forwards we get.

02-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
What if the Oilers went a different route and rolled with 3 solid pairs of #3/4 d-men instead of trying to worry about landing that big fish and trading away big assets to get it?

You could play whoever was going that particular night a little more and switch things up from game to game depending on who matched up well with who.

This way we'd never be relying too much on one or two guys but being able to roll with 6 solid interchangeable D that could go on any given night.

Perhaps this would free up money to be spent else wear?
In the end I'm pretty sure it will be a mix of this and trading said valuable assets.

For example we'll probably go after Nikitin in free agency due to him playing top-4 minutes and doing well a season or two ago.

Then take a change on Schenn who shouldn't cost an arm to acquire and hope to get his development back on track (like Coburn and Philly way back when) to be a top-4 guy.

Lastly, spend some significant assets on an actual top-pairing LHD (hypothetically lets say Edler). We're going to pray that through all this mixing and matching, we can finally ice something that resembles and NHL caliber D.

The problem with having a myriad of issues (apart from the D, #2 C and 1A/B goaltender) is that you either burn through a ton of your assets (prospects/picks/cap space/players) to fill them or you have to take chances like the ones we will probably have to take.

I doubt we do multiple major trades (Ebs for something for example) so I think we'll have to take a sort of balanced approach.

02-05-2014, 07:40 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Hasn't proven it thus far??? He dealt a healthy scratch for a likely 30 goal scorer... then a 3rd for a goalie who literally made history just the other day... to say nothing of team's inspired play since Hendricks got here... what else does he have to do to show he is better than Tambellini???
The team is worse than it was last season.
He hired Eakins and kept his buddies Bucky and Smith, offered Clarkson a disgustingly inflated contract, didn't address the goaltending in the offseason and thought that a Dubnyk-LaBarbera duo was a feasible solution to start the season, signed Grebs, made a bunch of WTF deals at the draft out what seemed to be frustration in not being able to close the Coburn deal and promised bold, culture changing moves none of which occurred.

For all the praise for the Perron and Gordon deals, there are just as many if not more poor moves that he made so yeah, not really better than Tambo thus far.
What I see is a lot of shuffling of deck chairs and inability to close bigger deals. Seems Tamboish to me with the difference that MacT flapped his gums about bold moves while Tambo didn't say much of anything.

In fairness, it's still early in his tenure, but I think it's ridiculous that he gets praise for not doing much. I've seen many posters say that he's miles better than Tambo and there's simply no evidence to back that up. It's probably a lot of the same posters who liked him as the coach and seem to heap unearned praise upon him.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-05-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Regarding Gagner, if we are forced to eat cap space(any by the sounds of it we might be), I don't see any reason not to ask for Toffoli.

Gagner, while he might be overpaid, isn't say Horcoff levels. Put him on a wing with a two-way C (sayyy Mike Richards) and a power winger (sayyy Dustin Brown) and I'm sure he'll put up points fairly well.

We're not in the business of doing NHL teams favors (or shouldn't be), so I don't see why we'd eat cap, accept a 3rd/4th liner in Clifford in return, and a draft pick for a team which wants to start contending sometime in the near decade.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's a real piss-off if true. I wonder what other moves he could have made but didn't.
According to Kevin Karius of Global, during the 2009-10 season a Souray for Hartnell trade was done (Hartnell even waived his NTC to come here) but Tambellini pulled out at the last second.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
dnicks17

Toffoli would bomb here.

He's the type of forward that needs to be on a good possession line. Something this team can't even dream of at the moment.

Old
02-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Toffoli would bomb here.

He's the type of forward that needs to be on a good possession line. Something this team can't even dream of at the moment.
What he cant drop pass?

Old
02-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
According to Kevin Karius of Global, during the 2009-10 season a Souray for Hartnell trade was done (Hartnell even waived his NTC to come here) but Tambellini pulled out at the last second.
Well for ******* sakes...

Old
02-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
What he cant drop pass?
If he can learn to go cross ice between 3 guys he'll fit right in.

Closed Thread