HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

2002 Red Wings - Best team in NHL history?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2014, 02:59 PM
  #51
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
Great rebuttal.

Posters here will catch on with you if they haven't already.

Cheers.
Catch on to what?

Oh, God, are they going to find out that my favorite player is Patrick Roy? I think I might have mentioned that once or twice or 496 times. Gee, I wonder if they don't know that I think Teemu Selanne is a swell fellow or that Mark Messier walks on water.

I can't even argue that the 1997 Detroit Red Wings were better than the 2002 Detroit Red Wings without catching some static, and that's kinda my point. No one is out to get the Detroit Red Wings (I hate DALLAS); it's just that we don't see as many hyperbole threads from other franchises. And when we do, I'm generally in them too, talking about Eric Lindros.

Unless you want to make an argument about why the 2002 Detroit Red Wings were better than the 1977 Montreal Canadiens - or even the 1997 Detroit Red Wings - I really don't see much sense in continuing this discussion with you.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
  #52
danincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Catch on to what?

Oh, God, are they going to find out that my favorite player is Patrick Roy? I think I might have mentioned that once or twice or 496 times. Gee, I wonder if they don't know that I think Teemu Selanne is a swell fellow or that Mark Messier walks on water.

I can't even argue that the 1997 Detroit Red Wings were better than the 2002 Detroit Red Wings without catching some static, and that's kinda my point. No one is out to get the Detroit Red Wings (I hate DALLAS); it's just that we don't see as many hyperbole threads from other franchises. And when we do, I'm generally in them too, talking about Eric Lindros.

Unless you want to make an argument about why the 2002 Detroit Red Wings were better than the 1977 Montreal Canadiens - or even the 1997 Detroit Red Wings - I really don't see much sense in continuing this discussion with you.
You weren't just arguing about the '97 team vs. '02, you tried to downplay that '02 team by stating they simply didn't have any good teams to compete with that season. Fact is they had the Presidents Trophy in the bag by March and Bowman, for once, took his foot off the pedal, which probably hurt the team and their final record. Then you tried to deny Bowman rested Lidstrom (and others players, I assume), which is simply untrue. I remember all the talk back then and Bowman definitely started resting players far earlier than I've seen any team do before or after.

Keep holding onto your Al the Octopus souvenir. I'm glad you admitted you are not a fan of the Wings cause that got old a long time ago.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 06:29 PM
  #53
overg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
My take on the '02 Red Wings was that they were clearly the most talented Detroit team of the past two decades, but I'm not so sure they were actually the best.

The problem with the '02 Wings was that they coasted on their talent. Now, they had a ton of talent, which gave them a lot of leeway to coast. When you can throw out a six man unit of Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan, Robataille, Hull, and Lidstrom (as the Wings did on a couple of occasions when down a goal late in a game), that's just showing off.

But I think the '97 playoff team was grittier, and executed the left-wing lock in suffocating fashion. And the '08 team, although by far the least star-studded of recent Wings Cup winners, may have been the most dominant start to finish. They simply controlled the tempo of games at a level not even the '02 Wings did.

The '02 Wings were an extremely good team, and if you imagine "everyone at their peak," they probably are amongst the best ever. Peak Hasek, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Hull, Shanahan, Robataille, Chelios, and Larionov. That's insane. But there's no way I would consider the actual '02 Wings the best ever. They've got an argument within the past 25 years, but once you start going back to the great dynasties of the 80's and before it's really hard to make a case for the '02 Wings.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
  #54
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
I'm glad you admitted you are not a fan of the Wings cause that got old a long time ago.
Does anyone else have any idea what the **** just happened?

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 07:25 PM
  #55
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Definitely not the greatest Red Wings team ever assembled. You know that they won 4 Cups in way back when, right?
The best Wings team was the '52 team. Ranked 5th best team ever

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 07:38 PM
  #56
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
The best Wings team was the '52 team. Ranked 5th best team ever
....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lindsay
We could still be playing today and never lose a game. That's how good we were.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:59 PM
  #57
Wrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
We had this conversation before. If all players were in their prime, DRW02 would have destroyed each and every opposition they faced (including Oilers and Canadians). At face value they were still awesome, but not exactly the greatest team ever.
Destroyed? http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1224143

Results favor the Red Wings due to their ridiculous number of past-their-prime hall of famers, but by no means was it a blowout.

I'd expect the results would be even less of a blowout against some of those dynasty Habs teams...

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:40 PM
  #58
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser
 
Cursed Lemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,257
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
My take on the '02 Red Wings was that they were clearly the most talented Detroit team of the past two decades, but I'm not so sure they were actually the best.

The problem with the '02 Wings was that they coasted on their talent. Now, they had a ton of talent, which gave them a lot of leeway to coast. When you can throw out a six man unit of Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan, Robataille, Hull, and Lidstrom (as the Wings did on a couple of occasions when down a goal late in a game), that's just showing off.

But I think the '97 playoff team was grittier, and executed the left-wing lock in suffocating fashion. And the '08 team, although by far the least star-studded of recent Wings Cup winners, may have been the most dominant start to finish. They simply controlled the tempo of games at a level not even the '02 Wings did.

The '02 Wings were an extremely good team, and if you imagine "everyone at their peak," they probably are amongst the best ever. Peak Hasek, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Hull, Shanahan, Robataille, Chelios, and Larionov. That's insane. But there's no way I would consider the actual '02 Wings the best ever. They've got an argument within the past 25 years, but once you start going back to the great dynasties of the 80's and before it's really hard to make a case for the '02 Wings.
I agree with this in full.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:42 PM
  #59
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
Yes, but most of those guys were past their prime.

I would say the title belongs to the:

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens

RS: 60-8-12 (132 points, an NHL record)
PO: 12-2

HOFers (10): Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, Jacques Lemaire, Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Scotty Bowman (if you want to include head coaches)

Individual and Team Awards (15): Vezina Trophy, Art Ross Trophy, Retro Richard Trophy, Norris Trophy, Hart Trophy, Lester B. Pearson Award, Conn Smythe Trophy, Jack Adams Award, 4x 1st AST, 1x 2nd AST, Retro President's Trophy, Stanley Cup

All of the HOFers mentioned above were in their prime.
That's insane.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 03:34 AM
  #60
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix View Post
Yes, but most of those guys were past their prime.

I would say the title belongs to the:

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens

RS: 60-8-12 (132 points, an NHL record)
PO: 12-2

HOFers (10): Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, Jacques Lemaire, Yvan Cournoyer, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Scotty Bowman (if you want to include head coaches)

Individual and Team Awards (15): Vezina Trophy, Art Ross Trophy, Retro Richard Trophy, Norris Trophy, Hart Trophy, Lester B. Pearson Award, Conn Smythe Trophy, Jack Adams Award, 4x 1st AST, 1x 2nd AST, Retro President's Trophy, Stanley Cup

All of the HOFers mentioned above were in their prime.
This.

What a great team the totally dominated the NHL that season, and still the greatest team in my estimation.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.