HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2014, 08:04 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
Hi Craig.
If you think that MacT has not been busy and made some good deals to improve this team you know nothing about hockey.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:10 PM
rockinghockey

Is there any way that we can do a deal for Gagner plus for Edler from Vancouver. They have always been looking for a top 6 player. We can even take back Booth and add a prospect to go along with Gagner.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Clifford sucks.. especially if the Oilers were to give up Gagner to acquire him. I've never liked Clifford.. not even sure why so many Oil fans like him.

Dwight King on the other hand.. hell yeah!

Old
02-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
What he cant drop pass?
His underdeveloped toe drag is the bigger problem IMO. But I think you could put him on a line with Eberle and Gagner to make up for it.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If you think that MacT has not been busy and made some good deals to improve this team you know nothing about hockey.
The best part is how he talks in third person.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Clifford sucks.. especially if the Oilers were to give up Gagner to acquire him. I've never liked Clifford.. not even sure why so many Oil fans like him.

Dwight King on the other hand.. hell yeah!
The name is attached to a childhood fictional dog. A big red dog. When people think of Clifford, they automatically think "good, big, nice" etc.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:19 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
According to Kevin Karius of Global, during the 2009-10 season a Souray for Hartnell trade was done (Hartnell even waived his NTC to come here) but Tambellini pulled out at the last second.
do you have a link for that? I heard a different version of the story.
the 09/10 season is where Souray was injured for most of the season and was about to be made healthy around the trade deadline-- 24 hours before the deadline his hand gets infected and a deal with the ducks gets delayed--originally the oilers were shipping souray and a draft pick to the ducks for Whitney and roster forward. but when souray went down--it was tweeked for lubamir for whitney.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:19 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Last season - 19-22-7
This season through 48 games - 15-28-5

That MacT sure improved the team. Maybe you're the one who knows nothing about hockey?

He made some good deals, but also made some bad decisions and the team is worse because of it.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:30 PM
rosemount289

To me he is........................???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The team is worse than it was last season.
He hired Eakins and kept his buddies Bucky and Smith, offered Clarkson a disgustingly inflated contract, didn't address the goaltending in the offseason and thought that a Dubnyk-LaBarbera duo was a feasible solution to start the season, signed Grebs, made a bunch of WTF deals at the draft out what seemed to be frustration in not being able to close the Coburn deal and promised bold, culture changing moves none of which occurred.

For all the praise for the Perron and Gordon deals, there are just as many if not more poor moves that he made so yeah, not really better than Tambo thus far.
What I see is a lot of shuffling of deck chairs and inability to close bigger deals. Seems Tamboish to me with the difference that MacT flapped his gums about bold moves while Tambo didn't say much of anything.

In fairness, it's still early in his tenure, but I think it's ridiculous that he gets praise for not doing much. I've seen many posters say that he's miles better than Tambo and there's simply no evidence to back that up. It's probably a lot of the same posters who liked him as the coach and seem to heap unearned praise upon him.

My friend, to me MacT is already miles ahead of Tambellini...........I'd rather have someone who attempted something and Failed than someone who sat and did nothing.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:32 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
My friend, to me MacT is already miles ahead of Tambellini...........I'd rather have someone who attempted something and Failed than someone who sat and did nothing.
Where is this proof that Tambellini didn't attempt to improve the team?
In any event, I care about what a GM actually gets done, not what he ATTEMPTS to get done.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Ringo13

MacT has made some great moves.
The worse record can be explained by our top 2 centers missing the start of the year and crappy goaltending.
The goaltending issue has been resolved. He is in the process of solving the issue of size and grit. Good two way center and a couple top pairing dmen away from being good. In my opinion, we are closer to being a well balanced (good) team than we were before MacT took over.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:37 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
MacT has made some great moves.
The worse record can be explained by our top 2 centers missing the start of the year and crappy goaltending.
The goaltending issue has been resolved. He is in the process of solving the issue of size and grit. Good two way center and a couple top pairing dmen away from being good. In my opinion, we are closer to being a well balanced (good) team than we were before MacT took over.
The worse record can be explained by him hiring an inexperienced coach who is in over his head and actually weakening the goaltending with LaBarbera. Oh and dealing away one of their few decent Dmen in Smid.
It seems that some will go to any lengths to absolve him of blame.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
The worse record can be explained by him hiring an inexperienced coach who is in over his head and actually weakening the goaltending with LaBarbera. Oh and dealing away one of their few decent Dmen in Smid.
Agreed, those things are on MacT. That said he has made some good moves, hopefully that continues and Eakins is on a short leash or gets canned.

02-05-2014, 08:40 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, those things are on MacT. That said he has made some good moves, hopefully that continues and Eakins is on a short leash or gets canned.
He has made good moves, but he has offset those good moves with some really bad moves and imagine if Clarkson signed that contract?
Even the Scrivens which I liked comes with real risk. If he walks (which is certainly possible), then MacT gave up a draft pick for nothing.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Regarding Gagner, if we are forced to eat cap space(any by the sounds of it we might be), I don't see any reason not to ask for Toffoli.

Gagner, while he might be overpaid, isn't say Horcoff levels. Put him on a wing with a two-way C (sayyy Mike Richards) and a power winger (sayyy Dustin Brown) and I'm sure he'll put up points fairly well.

We're not in the business of doing NHL teams favors (or shouldn't be), so I don't see why we'd eat cap, accept a 3rd/4th liner in Clifford in return, and a draft pick for a team which wants to start contending sometime in the near decade.
This is exactly how I feel. Clearly there is some discussion going with EDM-LA on Gagner, Friedman, McKenzie, LeBrun, and Stauffer all have pretty much said that but it makes little sense that the rumoured return is Clifford + a pick. With all due respect to 'the mayor', I don't buy it.

How did the price MacT set as a top 6 foward/top 4 dman/starting goaltender go down to 4th liner and a pick? If we're trading Gagner we need a legit asset coming back.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:48 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed!

IMO Eakins has to go it seems he has lost the room and players dont wanna play for him, I can't stand his lack of emotion on the bench, his mishandling of players and lack of responsibilty for other and his special teams and d zone coverage are awful.

I wonder if firing Eakins during the season, instead of the off season would have more of a impact on the players, having to be around a person and actually face them after you have been a part in them losing their Job, rather then being on the golf course or at the lake in the summer. Actually seeing this first person, might teach the younger players some responsibility and motivate them to play for their next coach. I know for me it would for sure and apparently Winnipeg Jets have shown this to.

Old
02-05-2014, 08:49 PM
soothsayer

It quite obviously isn't Gagner for Clifford and a pick. Even if that were a 1st round pick, L.A. simply cannot take on the salary. And to suggest that Edmonton would be eating salary (because they would have to) is absurd. It just isn't going to happen.

With that said I can see Gagner moving to L.A. for Clifford, but the plus coming back would have to make sense cap wise. Maybe someone like Stoll would be coming back (makes sense when you think that the Oilers would need a centerman after Gagner left).

Old
02-05-2014, 09:00 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Stupid team is stupid. Brain transplants are needed.
No they do not need a brain transplant . Their brains are brand new never been used once .

Old
02-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
It quite obviously isn't Gagner for Clifford and a pick. Even if that were a 1st round pick, L.A. simply cannot take on the salary. And to suggest that Edmonton would be eating salary (because they would have to) is absurd. It just isn't going to happen.

With that said I can see Gagner moving to L.A. for Clifford, but the plus coming back would have to make sense cap wise. Maybe someone like Stoll would be coming back (makes sense when you think that the Oilers would need a centerman after Gagner left).
Cap-wise Stoll is the only one that really makes sense. I can't see them moving any of their defensemen right before the playoffs and his salary is the only one that is significant. Mitchell and Greene both have around ~3M+ but I can't see them moving any of their 'rugged shut down' guys, and I wouldn't want either anyways.

Old
02-05-2014, 09:44 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
I'll agree MacT isn't perfect but all things considered he has done a pretty decent job. On the flip side it's pretty hilarious to witness the lengths to which the haters will go to deny him any kind of credit. There was a joker on here the other day swearing up and down that it would have been a better idea to pay Horcoff 4mil to go away as opposed to getting a useful asset and a lottery ticket for him.

Old
02-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Brewster

Gagner for Clifford is laughable. I'm not a Gagner supporter by any means, but you seriously want to trade a legit second liner (not ideal for our group, but the fact remains) for a fourth line scrub? wtf?

Old
02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
dnicks17

I'm going to guess something like Frattin, Martinez and a pick, if it goes down.

A hometown 3rd line(potentially 2nd line) winger and an underrated defenseman wouldn't be the worst return.

Old
02-05-2014, 10:31 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm going to guess something like Frattin, Martinez and a pick, if it goes down.

A hometown 3rd line(potentially 2nd line) winger and an underrated defenseman wouldn't be the worst return.
I want Martinez. Could finally be a decent player beside Schultz and they can stop putting plugs beside him. Oh never mind Schultz plays top pairing minutes when he shouldn't.

Last edited by armandh01: 02-05-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 10:39 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I want Martinez. Could finally be a decent player beside Schultz and they can stop putting plugs beside him.
Yup. I think he's like David Schlemko in Phoenix.

Playing on the bottom pairing because of depth, but could be a decent middle pairing defenseman on another team.

Old
02-05-2014, 10:45 PM
armandh01

Gagner + Larsen/Potter (50% ret) for Martinez + Clifford + Pick

Gives them a depth Dman back and leaves them at the same cap space (little better) than now. I'd take Greene back if they don't really want him (not sure if his contract is just a hindrance to them)

Closed Thread