HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Binghamton Senators

Old
01-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Corbers

vCash: 500
Binghamton Senators

I am from Binghamton, home of the Baby Senators...just wondering if anyone has any news on whether they will be staying in Binghamton or if this will be their last year there...

thanks for any info anyone can provide

Corbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:07 PM
discostu

I haven't heard of any talk of moving the franchise. The arrangement has appeared to be working well. I have no idea why it would change. The season hasn't gone well for Binghamton this year, but, that's not a reason to move a franchise.

Is attendance still decent? If so, that's all that matters. Ottawa's fortunate to have a franchise that's close by. I can't see many other locations that would work better for that purpose.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Corbers

There is no deal set in place for next year. That is what worries me

Attendence is decent considering the product on the ice is crap. The team gets walked on every night and currently sits in last place. Hard to blame the fans when the organization cares little about replenishing its feeder for the NHL

Old
01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbers View Post

Attendence is decent considering the product on the ice is crap. The team gets walked on every night and currently sits in last place. Hard to blame the fans when the organization cares little about replenishing its feeder for the NHL
All our good prospects are in Russia. Can't really blame the team for not drafting NA players. I am sure they care about how Bingo does but they are not going to go out of there way to make them better.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Human Megaphone

That trade last week seems part of that. Personally I don't see why we would bother to move. If it works for Bingo, I think we would stay. Maybe Bingo will get Hamel back. He's failed to live up to my hopes.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
BigEyedPhish

I have talked with the GM in Binghamton it looks like they are going to sign a 5 year deal, the problem that has made it take so long is that Mlakar has been asking for alot more money from Binghamton (about 1 1/2 times what Washington asks Hersey in order for them to use their players.)

Another reason that it is taking too long is politics, the politicians are voting on whether to let the B-sens run the arena or some foreign company which is something the Bsens dread, but will work through.

Attendance has been fairly decent compare that Binghamton is the SMALLEST franchise in the American Hockey League and that they are smack dap in the middle of average attendance for the league.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Corbers

That makes sense...I have heard about the talks of who will run the arena. Hope the deal gets done soon as I love to watch the players here. Although Im a Hawks fan at heart...I root for Ottawa and the BSenators as well.

Old
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
gobsens

As has been discussed frequently, Ottawa has quite a few draft picks tied up in Russian players, hence a correspondingly weak talent pool here in Bingo. On the bright side, touted players who should go pro in the next couple of years include: Bass, Elliot, Foligno, Kudelka, Lee & Sawyer. I think affiliation extension talks will be done soon, as the tone was generally positive as of the last update a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...rt&theme=bsens

gobsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:23 PM
discostu

Quote:

The franchise does care about its feeder system, however, not everything falls into place like you want it to, and, their committment still rests with their competitiveness at the NHL level.

If the situation is stable in Binghamton, I can't see them moving it. There's currently NHL teams without AHL farm teams right now, and, that makes it difficult to compete in today's NHL. You need a place for your players to develop.

The only reason I can see them moving the their farm team, is if there is a desire to have a team out East. Because of broadcast rights, the Sens are developing a fan base in Eastern Canada. There may be a temptation to put a franchise out there. I wouldn't be too enthralled with that, as, the success of AHL hockey in the maritimes is not strong. With the QMJHL having a strong presence in that region, it may be difficult for AHL hockey to get a big following. Plus, the Sens will then have bigger travel issues.

The benefit is the marketing though, as, if you can build a fan base for hte minor team, you wrestle away fans from the Leafs and Habs in that region, and give the Sens a bigger national fanbase. I'm not sure how successful that formula is though, and think it would be a risky proposition. Toronto failed with its St. John's team, and Ottawa had a team in PEI before.

Old
01-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Corbers

I understand that its hard to always have talent in the farm and that the NHL is where it matters. But man, the level of players has gone down. A lot of guys went up fast, such as Meszaros, Eaves and what not. Having a lot of Russians explains it but I hope for the Senators sake that they have talent other than in Bingo for if they are relying on them for future help, they are going to be in trouble.

Old
01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
http://binghamtonhockey.net/bingotal...ex.php?act=idx

Check that site for alot of great Binghamton Senators discussion.

ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
discostu

Quote:
I understand that its hard to always have talent in the farm and that the NHL is where it matters. But man, the level of players has gone down. A lot of guys went up fast, such as Meszaros, Eaves and what not. Having a lot of Russians explains it but I hope for the Senators sake that they have talent other than in Bingo for if they are relying on them for future help, they are going to be in trouble.
Like others have said, the Sens went heavy on Russians. Other teams avoided drafting them, because there was no transfer agreement in place, so, the Sens put an emphasis there. We also have our top prospect in the college system right now. There's a good chance that he'll come over next year.

We also have a few guys in the CHL that are eligible to come over next year as well, who I can see being a big help. Barinka should hopefully be returning. The good news is, that Hennessy is the only player that has a chance of graduating to the big club from the farm next year. That means there should be little subtraction from the current team. If they bring over just some of the guys that may be able to, it'll be a much stronger team.

Old
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Iced

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/5123866.html
======================================
B-Sens To Keep Playing In Binghamton
Executive Barbara Fiala says the contract could be finalized this week.

The current one expires this April.

B-Sens management and county officials met this morning to work on the new lease.

Fiala says it could keep B-Sens here for another five years.

"I think that it's something that the county certainly can live with and the Senators. I've said all along the Senators are a very important part of this community," says Fiala.

Fiala could not disclose any details the new proposal.

Right now the Binghamton Senators pay 2 thousand per game to play at the arena in downtown Binghamton.

Fiala says once the B-Sens lease is finished, she'll focus on arena management.

Fiala wants to bring in SMG World to run the Veterans Memorial Arena.

The Republican controlled legislature turned down the proposal last year.

But now Fiala's Democratic party controls the legislature.

She says SMG World is still interested in managing the arena.

Fiala plans to submit its proposal for another vote.

Tuesday in Action Sports, Brendan O'Reilly talks with the B-Sens about what the new lease deal, and possible new arena management mean for the teams future.

Story Created: Jan 8, 2007 at 6:17 PM EST

Story Updated: Jan 8, 2007 at 6:17 PM EST

Iced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 10:38 AM
boboradice

I am personally happy that Ottawa is going to continue to be the B-Sens parent club. We have had some great hockey here in recent years. Although this years team leaves a lot to be desired.

boboradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobsens View Post
As has been discussed frequently, Ottawa has quite a few draft picks tied up in Russian players, hence a correspondingly weak talent pool here in Bingo. On the bright side, touted players who should go pro in the next couple of years include: Bass, Elliot, Foligno, Kudelka, Lee & Sawyer. I think affiliation extension talks will be done soon, as the tone was generally positive as of the last update a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...rt&theme=bsens
Who the heck is Sawyer?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Who the heck is Sawyer?
It's Tom Sawyer and we're going to have some adventures!

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:35 PM
shooter11

I think he means Jean-Claude Sawyer who was at the Sens training camp.
He plays D for Cape Breton in QMJHL and he is a solid player with an offensive game

I don't think he is Sens property..still a FA.

shooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
EJsens1

I remember hearing talk a year or 2 ago about the team maybe moving Kingston. Melnyk wanted to build a new rink and move the team there. I suspect that will never happen because that will hurt the OHL team the Frontenacs, as Melnyk is still owner with the St. Mike's Majors and the conflict there. I remember there being a team in Cornwall (for the Nordiques) a few years ago, but I don't know how well that will work.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I remember there being a team in Cornwall (for the Nordiques) a few years ago, but I don't know how well that will work.
The Cornwall Aces. I saw a few games. Stephane Yelle was the best player on the ice. I'm not sure but Jacques Martin might have been the coach.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
iamcaper

Send a message via ICQ to iamcaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter11 View Post
I think he means Jean-Claude Sawyer who was at the Sens training camp.
He plays D for Cape Breton in QMJHL and he is a solid player with an offensive game

I don't think he is Sens property..still a FA.
Sawyer scored a hat-trick tonight against Drummondville. He finished the game with 6 points.

iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
iamcaper

Send a message via ICQ to iamcaper
Another 5 points for Sawyer tonight against the second place Moncton Wildcats. He now has 56 points in 51 games for the Eagles.

iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote