HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2014, 02:26 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
tickets should be available
take 1 79 north off I-90 then down to either 12 street EAST (main run best plowed )
or 8th street (direct road to parking and arena )
there are 2 lots on 8th street one 1/2 block walk to doors 4.00 one across the street 5.00. or free parking off 7th street but a block and a half walk .

another route is I-90 to peach street exit and follow peach street (food,shops and mall ) down to eight street turn right 2 blocks to parking and arena ( lots of lights and traffic but well plowed and lots to see & places to eat )

I really appreciate the info, thanks!

Old
02-06-2014, 06:54 AM
buzzworthy

Hey, SuperNintendo, I just checked the Otters website. I hate to disagree with Ottergolfer, but it appears that many sections are sold out already. It may be in your best interest to go to the Otters website and order online. I think it will be a sellout. As to getting to the arena, we come from the same direction, and it will be quicker to take the Bayfront Connector exit, which is a 4 lane. It is clearly marked off of I-90. Continue on the connector for 5.2 miles (I have measured it) to 12th. Make a left on 12th and follow until you get to State. Take a right on State and go to 8th. Make another right and look for parking. Good luck!

Old
02-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Otterly Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post

Oh, and will there be tickets available at the box office an hour prior to the game.

You might want to call down in advance. I heard a good majority of the tickets are out. Not saying it's a sellout but better safe then sorry.

As for the 6 D issue that's been posted...
I like what they are doing. Although Genovese isn't a forward, he doesn't look to out of place. I'm worried of his puck handling more then his positioning. However being up in the play has allowed him to be alittle more physical.

I wouldn't mind Maksimovich getting in for a night because he is the best player sitting right now in my opinion. But I think Geno may impress those of you who haven't seen him play up. (Hopefully I don't eat those words tonight)

Old
02-06-2014, 09:46 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Between 202 and 207 there's about 400 seats left, but everywhere else is slim pickings. I'd order online. The extra fee they charge you is a pain but it will likely be sold out by gametime Saturday.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
I really appreciate the info, thanks!
good directions from ottergolfer. Peach street is definitely the way to go if you're looking for things to do, places to eat, but traffic will be a pain on Saturday.

In my opinion the fastest way to get there from the way you're coming from is to get off on the "Wesleyville, Colt Station" exit and take a right. You'll be on the bayfront connector, which turns into the bayfront parkway. It's a four lane road with high speed limits and few lights, cuts right through the city basically. Follow that for a few miles and take a left on 6th street. Follow six street until you are forced into turning left on french street, perry square will be right in front of you. There's an Erie Insurance parking lot on 6th and French that's free and usually has open spots up until around 15 minutes before gametime. Only two blocks from the arena.

Good luck and safe driving.

Old
02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

I appreciate all the help. I've bookmarked the thread. Not sure as of yet if would be going on Saturday or on the 26th. Maybe for a Wednesday game (Feb. 26th), getting tickets at the box office are easier.

Again, I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:43 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

First off, congrats to Dane Fox and scoring his 54th goal of the season, new Erie Otters record. The video from Cory Pecker was pretty cool.

Positives:

-Fox finally breaking the record. Hopefully he can get back to playing his game now.

-The PK was outstanding tonight.

-Devin Williams was outstanding tonight. Please Coach start him Saturday against London, go with the hot hand. London has ripped through Dansk like a wet paper bag the last two times he's faced them.

-defense in the third period. Stepped it up big time and looked liked themselves.

Negatives:

-the start, minus Dylan Strome making the defense look foolish. Start like that against London and it will be over in a hurry

-the defense through the first two periods. Saginaw was walking around us doing whatever they wanted

-the powerplay. puck movement was not crisp at all. in reality it was 1 for 4, minus the Lodge penalty at the end (real classy move there). Needs to be better

-total lack of discipline

-the officiating was just terrible

Overall glad they picked up the win. Need a better effort Saturday but a good job keeping pace with Guelph.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
First off, congrats to Dane Fox and scoring his 54th goal of the season, new Erie Otters record. The video from Cory Pecker was pretty cool.

Positives:

-Fox finally breaking the record. Hopefully he can get back to playing his game now.

-The PK was outstanding tonight.

-Devin Williams was outstanding tonight. Please Coach start him Saturday against London, go with the hot hand. London has ripped through Dansk like a wet paper bag the last two times he's faced them.

-defense in the third period. Stepped it up big time and looked liked themselves.

Negatives:

-the start, minus Dylan Strome making the defense look foolish. Start like that against London and it will be over in a hurry

-the defense through the first two periods. Saginaw was walking around us doing whatever they wanted

-the powerplay. puck movement was not crisp at all. in reality it was 1 for 4, minus the Lodge penalty at the end (real classy move there). Needs to be better

-total lack of discipline

-the officiating was just terrible

Overall glad they picked up the win. Need a better effort Saturday but a good job keeping pace with Guelph.
Great analysis of the game. Williams played his best game of the season in my opinion. He was unbeatable last night. I also thought the Pettit and Strome played well. If they can keep progressing it adds a lot of depth to Erie.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Glad to hear the Otters are doing well. Hopefully I'll be able to get back up there and catch a game soon. I made it to a game last season, and the atmosphere was just the same as when my dad was the equipment manager back in the Connolly - Boyes - Rupp days.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:49 PM
ottergolfer

Now that was a total team effort tonight
a big win for the Otters vs the knights

a couple breakdowns but all in a ll a solid game.

Devin was a brick wall that was on its angles and had pretty good rebound control

I would have liked to see Smith get his hacking butt kicked but the win was enough

I liked the hustle out of wigle ... dermott was a beast... 5 assts for C mcD and betz was solid

only ting was the otters seemed to let off a bit and not test the rookie tender for the knights . I was hoping for a ten spot to embarrass them as they had done to us in the past . never for get that Hunter would put out 5 top forwards on the PP when they were up 6-1 or more in the past. Any win against Hunter is sweet.

Old
02-08-2014, 10:01 PM
CrozJawz

Quite the show tonight and glad I was there.

5 assists for McDavid!

Old
02-08-2014, 11:29 PM
buzzworthy

We just got home from the game. It was a very satisfying win against a very good London club. Tonight it was men against boys. We out hit them, out skated them, shut them down on the PP, and in general made them look pretty ordinary. Ten would have been nice, but to put our scorers at risk would not be worth it. I especially liked the way that the 3rd and 4th lines played tonight. Strome, Wigle, and all the those players cycled the puck very well and kept London in their own end. They even scored. If this continues, it bodes very well for the Otters and not so well for everyone else.

Old
02-09-2014, 10:32 AM
hockeye

Great game last night, Erie finally looked a little more like they did back before the world juniors. Maybe this is the start of getting back to that point.

-Still think the team can catch Guelph but they would have to probably win at the least about 13 of their last 15. I think with the schedule remaining it's possible. Guelph also has a favorable schedule and they way they have played recently they will probably definitely win and go at least 12-3. More than likely though about 13-2

Now back to the game last night. One thing I did notice is IMO the monkey is off Fox's back. He was struggling in the last 5-7 games to the point where he was just standing around looking for a cheap garbage goal and when he did get a pass he would either fan on it or miss the net. Looked better last night and even got a goal. Good to see him playing more confident again

To me London played the way they probably have played recently and the way they are capable of playing without Stolarz. I think it was a situation where Erie needed a big game to get going again, they knew they had to win to avoid London catching them and have any chance at still catching Guelph, and they had a sellout crowd of 6600+ to motivate them even more. Erie just had more at stake and had the home crowd in their ear.

come playoff time it would be so nice to have home ice all the way through. To me against the lower seed teams erie probably doesn't lose at home. And then to me if they play London, Guelph, or SSM they should go at least 3-1 at home. Imagine Erie Insurance Arena in late round 2 or 3.. They will be rocking

Can't wait

Old
02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeye View Post
Great game last night, Erie finally looked a little more like they did back before the world juniors. Maybe this is the start of getting back to that point.

-Still think the team can catch Guelph but they would have to probably win at the least about 13 of their last 15. I think with the schedule remaining it's possible. Guelph also has a favorable schedule and they way they have played recently they will probably definitely win and go at least 12-3. More than likely though about 13-2

Now back to the game last night. One thing I did notice is IMO the monkey is off Fox's back. He was struggling in the last 5-7 games to the point where he was just standing around looking for a cheap garbage goal and when he did get a pass he would either fan on it or miss the net. Looked better last night and even got a goal. Good to see him playing more confident again

To me London played the way they probably have played recently and the way they are capable of playing without Stolarz. I think it was a situation where Erie needed a big game to get going again, they knew they had to win to avoid London catching them and have any chance at still catching Guelph, and they had a sellout crowd of 6600+ to motivate them even more. Erie just had more at stake and had the home crowd in their ear.

come playoff time it would be so nice to have home ice all the way through. To me against the lower seed teams erie probably doesn't lose at home. And then to me if they play London, Guelph, or SSM they should go at least 3-1 at home. Imagine Erie Insurance Arena in late round 2 or 3.. They will be rocking

Can't wait
Have to say, it's great to see Erie so pumped up to have a championship-caliber team. You guys richly deserve it after a few lean years. I remember the great battles London and Erie had in the early 2000's back at the Ice House, the teams with Pecker, Boyes and Yeo.
It would be nice if the O had the seeding like the Q does, with the 1-16 seeding. This year would be great to see a Erie-Guelph, Erie-London, or Guelph-London final.

Old
02-09-2014, 10:55 AM
buzzworthy

Yes, the sell out crowd was a big helper. I can't imagine there will be a more intimidating barn then a sold out EIA. Aside from a little tangle at the end with Mermis, which Genovese clearly won with some good body punches, I thought that London played a pretty tame game. I fully expected them to really goon it up in the last period, as they usually do when they are losing. I may be wrong, but as I have said before, having McDermid is a nuclear deterrent. He keeps the other teams from head hunting. Coach was wise to put the 3rd and 4th line guys out a majority of the time in the 3rd to keep one of the Ruperts or Bell from running at one of our scorers. Genovese is doing a good job at forward. He is one tough nut.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:01 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

All in all it was an excellent team game last night. Still think we should be going with Fox-Gaunce-Brown, Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky, instead of McDavid back on the first. I just love the way McDavid and Burakovsky play together.

Genovese looked pretty solid at forward last night, and the bottom six is starting to get it together. Strome has been excellent these last few games, and Wigle played great.

Maksimovich/Murphy should get a few games in on the fourth lines but ultimately I think Genovese will be their during the playoffs for his toughness.

Felker needs to get a few games in before playoffs as well.

15 games left, going to be tough to pass Guelph for first but it can be done.

Old
02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Does anyone know what's going on with RD Riley Robertson, 2012 3rd round pick? He looked pretty good in the limited viewing I got of him at camp before he hurt his shoulder again. I figured he would be done for the season after that. Looked him up and he's on the Listowell Cyclones' (GOJHL) roster, but hasn't played since September 24th. Shoulder injury again? If so too bad, I thought he could have a chance at making next year's team if he got healthy.

Dekoning is on that team as well. Their website isn't the greatest but his stats are .913 SV % and a 3.46 GAA. Not sure how accurate or updated that is. He played well in preseason though.

While I'm on a prospect update, Dylan Larkin is having himself a great season for the USNDP, but he is committed to Michigan. I doubt Bassin/Brown get him to de-commit and play for Erie, but if he gets drafted in the first round his NHL team could sway him.

Old
02-15-2014, 09:01 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

That was ugly.

Old
02-16-2014, 06:47 AM
bigdogsnipedaddy

Nice crowd on hand last night to see the game. Now,
time to figure out what is happening with this team.
Top two lines seeing way too much ice and causing them to make too many tired plays; poor passes, taking penalties, turnovers.
MacDermott has no governor. This is going to hurt us big time in the end if we don't figure it out. Why not go back to our earlier in the season lineup and see what happens.
McDavid played great but he too is mishandling pucks and turning the puck over unlike any time earlier in the season. I think its because of the work load.

Petit's injury looked bad. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Lucky to come away with a regulation time win.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:12 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogsnipedaddy View Post
Nice crowd on hand last night to see the game. Now,
time to figure out what is happening with this team.
Top two lines seeing way too much ice and causing them to make too many tired plays; poor passes, taking penalties, turnovers.
MacDermott has no governor. This is going to hurt us big time in the end if we don't figure it out. Why not go back to our earlier in the season lineup and see what happens.
McDavid played great but he too is mishandling pucks and turning the puck over unlike any time earlier in the season. I think its because of the work load.

Petit's injury looked bad. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Lucky to come away with a regulation time win.
Top two lines seeing too much ice, though I'm glad he went back to McDavid with Burakovsky. He wasn't working on the first line at all.

MacDermid just needs to reel in his hitting. Goes too far sometimes and takes a lot of penalties.

Genovese looks decent at forward, MacDermid is better than him defensively.

Hope Pettit is okay. Would be a damaging blow to an already weak bottom six.

Though the bottom six has been better lately, getting more zone time, I think Knoblauch still doesn't trust them.

Way too many turnovers last night, letting that team score two goals is a joke, they had nothing offensively. First goal was a softie, Williams will want that one back. Second goal was just awful defensive coverage.

Niagara couldn't even manage a shot on the five minute major (which was b*******).

I'm more concerned with only scoring three goals on Niagara and barely pulling this win out. I'm being a bit insulting here, but it's the truth. That team is garbage right now and only winning 3-2 is concerning.

Mishandling the puck, turnovers, getting too cute with it, not taking shots. And the powerplay just looks utterly terrible the last two games.

Got to get their butts in gear starting monday against Kitchener, with a tough northern road trip coming up. Need to win out, which will be very difficult, to keep pace with Guelph.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:47 AM
buzzworthy

Ottersnews, I agree with some of your assessment. I do think that the passes were too cute (some of them). I hate the no-look drop passes that they do. I think that MacDermid's checking is just fine. We haven't had a physical presence like this for ages. Yes, there will be a penalty or two with Mac, but I am willing to put up with that. I thought that the 3rd and 4th lines had looked much better in both games, and had much more playing time. Both Wigle (possible suspension?) and Betz played well. I hope that Petit is alright. I just think that this group plays up or down according to the level of their competition. I think that they played well enough to win. Last weekend we all have to remember what happened to the Knights when they rolled into town.

Old
02-16-2014, 08:21 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzworthy View Post
Ottersnews, I agree with some of your assessment. I do think that the passes were too cute (some of them). I hate the no-look drop passes that they do. I think that MacDermid's checking is just fine. We haven't had a physical presence like this for ages. Yes, there will be a penalty or two with Mac, but I am willing to put up with that. I thought that the 3rd and 4th lines had looked much better in both games, and had much more playing time. Both Wigle (possible suspension?) and Betz played well. I hope that Petit is alright. I just think that this group plays up or down according to the level of their competition. I think that they played well enough to win. Last weekend we all have to remember what happened to the Knights when they rolled into town.
that's exactly it right there. London comes in, the boys get fired up and play a hell of a game and steamroll one of the better teams in the league. Then you get near last place Niagara, and they float through half the game and look like they don't really care. It's frustrating.

Old
02-16-2014, 04:39 PM
ottergolfer

as far as last nights game here are a few of my thoughts
CmcD put his game where his mouth was. said he was bad Fri. and made up for it Sat.
Wigels call was a joke he his cheat and shoulder the ice dogs own arm his his own head.
K P hit the boards HARD and was dragging his arm/shoulder to the bench.. did not look good.
which healthy scratch gets the nod? Q or Woodie?

the score dictated a bit of the line times in a close game most coaches will shorten the bench

remember the Ice dogs are looking to move up and they really are not as bad as their record would indicate.
they had a strong fore check and quick sticks. this led to a lot of the breaking up of telegraphed slow passes by the Otters.

the battle to make the playoffs has been won it does not matter who they play in the first round as all team will be starting at 0 and racing to 16.
while home ice would be a great advantage i do not see Guelph losing to many more and giving up the top spot. the other teams in this league seem to wilt after the first goal against when playing them.

the Otters won both games this weekend you should be looking at that as a positive. one goal or 20 its still just 2 points.

my thoughts are the coaching staff knows what works and is 1) trying new things to free up players 2) not giving the other teams a clear view of his playoff line and game

Old
02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
OHLFan8771

Pathetic effort right now from the Otters. End of the second and they are getting out shot, out hustled, and out played by Kitchener. The last two games are rather alarming right now. Erie has a very difficult weekend with a three in three. Not to mention the Soo do not play all week prior to the game on Saturday. If this is the effort Erie brings over the weekend Guelph will have the conference locked up come Sunday.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:54 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

what a joke.

Closed Thread