HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Can't stand the Concordia hippies

Old
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Aw come on man, why does everyone want to kill waffled?
do you have a reason to think that?

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Aw come on man, why does everyone want to kill waffled?
They don't want to kill you, they only want to rename the street you live on (Benoit Brunet Ave is the front runner).

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
Dave i think you should start a group of protesters that protest the protesters (sort of self-defeating, in a way).

that'll get 'em.

on another note, i dunno what it's like for other programs, but as a designer i can tell you that the programs (Computation Arts and Design art) arent no piece of cake to get in!

they only take 25 and 50 (respectively) each a year. And they have over 300 applicants per program. Super competitive. I HIGHLY doubt any student who gets in is in it for a "free ride".

maybe when it's programs like psychology or something like that, where everyone knows that people who start out in psych is cuz they dont know what to do with themselves in the first place...
There are several very competitive programs at Con U that are tough to get into. However, they are the minority. The requirements to get into most programs are low. I know for a fact the requirements to get into commerce at Concordia are lower than at McGill, despite it being overall a better program at Concordia. They lowered the requirements because enrollment was too low and the school was losing money, but it caused an influx and now they are in even more debt.

I don't understand the logic behind it. It's a joke to get into business school but they only accept 20 people a year into the education or journalism programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
do you have a reason to think that?
My PMs box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
They don't want to kill you, they only want to rename the street you live on (Benoit Brunet Ave is the front runner).
I wouldn't mind living on Benny Brunet Ave.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
My PMs box.
lol, really?

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
lol, really?
Well, they're from the usual customers.

Old
02-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Typical liberal hippies.. always looking for a handout.
ZOMG I can't afford 3k for education, but I can afford 3k in XBOX360 games, weed, pop and Cheetos!!11 THIS IS ALL HARPER/BUSH'S FAULT111!1ONEONE
Please don't generalize.

There are many students like me who truly need tuition rates to be lowered...

I'm a little confused why other students refrain from supporting student movements concerned with tuition rates? What harm are they doing to you? Trying to lower your tuition? Even if I could afford to pay for school myself I would still support thier actions.

Last edited by Mue: 02-06-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:20 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Tell that to France; they are known as well educated people (compared to here anyway) and they get it for free.
France has an awful university system and french people who come here to study do it because french diplomas aren't worth much...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Everyone I know who has applied for a student loan has spent the money on beer, weed, cars or LCD tvs. It's a joke.
I think the best solution would just be to make Beer and Weed free, instead of tuition. Then everyone wins.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I think the best solution would just be to make Beer and Weed free, instead of tuition. Then everyone wins.
Hmm I've thought your proposal through and agree, it is a GREAT idea.

Old
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
wedge

when I was at university, I got the government's help, I would never had been able to have my degree. Now I'm 20 000$ in debts.

Raising the fees would prevent people like me from going to university and that would not solve the problem. You would still have a lot of people who would just not care at all.

I remember when I was living on the campus and in the week-ends, believe me, most of the jerks over there were not studying.

The best way to get some money while not punishing the people who work hard would be to have a huge tax when we would fail classes. I remember how people were contesting the "taxe a l'échec" when I was in cegep and I thought that this tax was the best idea in the world. Don't raise the scholarship for everyone but when one person fail a course, make him pay a lot more. That would be the best way to have less people who wouldn't care.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:16 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
France has an awful university system and french people who come here to study do it because french diplomas aren't worth much...
humm, no! Must of them don't come here for that reason...

...with that line of reasoning, how would you explain canadians going to France for their study?

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
???

I've read some false statements about the French education system, so I feel the urge to correct everything.

First, post High-School education is not free. It's 300-400 Euros/year for Universities or other public schools (like engineer schools). However, there are some private schools with a very high tuition, such as business/marketing schools.

Second, it's not about the tuition, but it's often about the competitiveness. Some schools are very hard to get in. On the other hand, you can learn whatever you want in University, it's not as competitive and there aren't any quotas before the Master years. Except for Medicine.

Third, the system is very complicated. There are lots of diplomas, and Universities are not the cream of education. That's why French diplomas are not always recognized elsewhere. However, we're changing the system to make it easier to understand.
Three years of University will give you a Bachelor degree.
Five years of University or completing an engineer/commercial/marketing... school will give you a Master degree.
And another three years for the Ph.D.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
MXD

Well, I have no problems with higher tuitions fees (well, reasonably higher tuitions fees), as long as higher loans and, according to objective criterias, higher grants, are handed to the students. For the record, it's my 2nd degree, I'm 25, and was stuck to go back home (read : at my folks) due to this -- but I had my own appartment in my 1st degree, and considering my situation, let's just say that the fact I live with my folks is the best thing that could happen to both parties, as I do litteraly "own" the house for ... like, 6 months a year, and I do pay phone-electricity-fuel bill for those months. (in case someone told me I'm a spoiled guy...) But I spend about 10 hours a day in my books (which is something every STUDENT who respects himself should do). And yes, I understand why students in... let's say, Art History, whine against higher fees or grant-cuts, but someone studying ...let's say, Economics... I just don't get it.

The truth is : I rather like being in school, working (my ass off) during summer and part-time from Sept. to Dec. (well, for me it's nearly full time, but I never had the problem conciliating both) and earn half of what a good friend 'o mine earns while working full-time on a very harsh job... I never really lacked money, but if I did, I would have taken a loan (grant), and that would be it. And NO, I don't have an LCD TV, nor do I enjoys trips in the Carribean while living at my folks AND earning a grant (something I'm even not eligible to as we speak).

And does "hippie" has a prejorative meaning in english?

Last edited by MXD: 02-06-2007 at 06:34 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
DaveMatthew

I completely agree. These people whining about free education are simply ridiculous.

I go to McGill, and in terms of reputation, academics, rankings, etc, I'd say it's similiar to Columbia University in the States. Well, I pay around $3000 per year while those who attended Columbia last year paid $35166. What is everyone *****ing about!?!?!?! We have a sweet deal, even out of province students who pay around $6000.

Most people who get a university (undergrad) degree benefit far more from it than the rest of society does, so why shouldn't they bear a lot (even though in Canada, it's a small part) of the cost? Why should some tradesperson, who never went to university but plays a vitally important role in society, pay for some kid to get a BA majoring in 18th century literature?

I have to laugh because these are a lot of the same people campaigning to get all corporate advertising off of campus. Some of them sinply don't understand that it costs money to run a university...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
I'm in the library at Concordia right now, not able to study for my midterm because a bunch of ****ing hippies are outside with a loudspeaker *****ing that tuition is too high. I mean what the hell...Tuition is like $3,000 a year, probably the lowest in all of North America.
I'm sorry, these people are complaining that college tuition is $3,000/year?

I'd like to advise them to never look into studying in America...

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
I completely agree. These people whining about free education are simply ridiculous.

I go to McGill, and in terms of reputation, academics, rankings, etc, I'd say it's similiar to Columbia University in the States. Well, I pay around $3000 per year while those who attended Columbia last year paid $35166. What is everyone *****ing about!?!?!?! We have a sweet deal, even out of province students who pay around $6000.

Most people who get a university (undergrad) degree benefit far more from it than the rest of society does, so why shouldn't they bear a lot (even though in Canada, it's a small part) of the cost? Why should some tradesperson, who never went to university but plays a vitally important role in society, pay for some kid to get a BA majoring in 18th century literature?

I have to laugh because these are a lot of the same people campaigning to get all corporate advertising off of campus. Some of them sinply don't understand that it costs money to run a university...
You pay $3,000/year to go to McGill, one of the best schools in North America?

I should have gone to college in Canada

Old
02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Evil Ted

It kinda looks like this thread is more of a distraction from you doin your learning.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
It kinda looks like this thread is more of a distraction from you doin your learning.
They stopped around 6:30ish, and I got my work done.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
You pay $3,000/year to go to McGill, one of the best schools in North America?

I should have gone to college in Canada
You have to be a canadian citizen for that...

Old
02-06-2007, 09:33 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Well, by paying more taxes when they'll make more money. For now, most of students, unlike some people say, who obviously don't know much, are in the bottom classes in terms of revenue.

...and before being condescendant toward them, you'll have to learn a little more on the issue...

Old
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You have to be a canadian citizen for that...
True, but international students pay about $15000 per year so that's still quite a bit less than what top schools in the US charge.

Frankly, I don't think we should be complaining as we're getting a pretty sweet deal compared to some other students around the world.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
True, but international students pay about $15000 per year so that's still quite a bit less than what top schools in the US charge.

Frankly, I don't think we should be complaining as we're getting a pretty sweet deal compared to some other students around the world.
Thanks for the info. $15,000 year is easily less than half of the tuition at any good American private school, as you mentioned before.

I went to Cornell University, and I was paying approximately $38,000 US/year for everything in total, and this was around the turn of the century. It's gone up since then. Including room+board, tuition, books, other fees, etc. it's now over $40,000 US/year, and even being a NYS resident only bring fees down to $20-25,000 US/year (and only certain schools in Cornell University are under NYS tuition; most are in the private sector).

Old
02-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I'm sorry, these people are complaining that college tuition is $3,000/year?

I'd like to advise them to never look into studying in America...
It cost me 2200 Thats damn cheap heh!

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
bOrEd-

980$ this session at Université du Québec à Chicoutimi

bOrEd- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Astaroth

Quote:

I like McGill as much as the next person (It was my second choice for law) but to say that is of Colombia's stature is ... optimistic to say the least. It's a good school and respected enough but there is a reason why blue chip universities in the states charge the fees they do. The education is simply better. I did a tour of them back when there was a possibility of me getting a full ride and there is no real comparison. The classes are much more dynamic, intimate and practical. That being said I was doing the pre-law programmes so take it for what it's worth.

As for the loans, I'm usually on your side when it comes to these issues Dave but one of the great things about this country is that there is a sizable portion of the population that can go to university and get educated unlike other parts of the world. I think we're a better society for that.

I don't necessarily agree with free universal post-secondary education (that's in an ideal world) but I think we should do the most we can to promote education because it is a precious and beautiful thing. I know there is a lot of people who abuse of the loans' situation but there are also alot of people like me who need it to pay tuition and mostly books (my books are actually like double the price of my tuition). Also not every program has a co-op like concordia business so they're pretty much stuck with student jobs like me which is gonna net you like around 4-5k a summer. Not very viable when it comes down to it.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote