HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Old
02-05-2014, 09:52 PM
belair

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoEakins View Post
Don't have to worry about sparing a square, they don't flush them..

You may as well just **** in the garbage can. At least you can take that somewhere where you can get some privacy.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:56 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Russia is a stupid place? Wow. Think before you type.
He pretty obviously meant Sochi, not Russia...

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Unsustainable
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He pretty obviously meant Sochi, not Russia...

Can you imagine the stench exuding from the unflushed **** squares in the bin by the toilets? Do they actually plan on just throwing their fecal napkins out with the trash? You sure wouldn't want to be a homeless person forced to dumpster dive. "Oh crap, what's that on my fingers? Oh. Crap. "

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:13 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
it should be mentioned that in some cases the media were moved away from their original hotels due to security reasons. Over the past 4 months the security was rejigged around the olympic athletes village and some accommodation that was supposed to be for the media was reclassified aas being needed for either athletes or their support staff (support staff also includes the added security that many countries are now taking)

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

You may as well just **** in the garbage can. At least you can take that somewhere where you can get some privacy.
As crazy as it sounds, I actually know someone who does put their 'used' toilet paper in the bathroom garbage can instead of the toilet like the rest of western civilization....their reasoning was because their septic system had a really hard time with processing toilet paper, especially in the winter. I can only imagine something similar's going on in Sochi.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:21 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
As crazy as it sounds, I actually know someone who does put their 'used' toilet paper in the bathroom garbage can instead of the toilet like the rest of western civilization....their reasoning was because their septic system had a really hard time with processing toilet paper, especially in the winter. I can only imagine something similar's going on in Sochi.

I think it is fairly common outside of Canada/USA and Western Europe.

PepsiFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:14 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
btw--Some of the media have been assigned to places that are already student housing or will be

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:01 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Of course, in North America you're now getting people wiping with baby wipes and then flushing those down the drain. Talk about a sign of a culture whose time had come.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Lindo

edit - wrong thread, my bad.

Last edited by Lindo: 02-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Lindo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

As a heads up, some of the events actually start on February 6 (today!) before the Opening Ceremonies. Don't really know why they do this at every Olympics but it is what it is.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Thanks for the thread Cloned. I haven't been following these games much, so I was surprised by the price tag of $51 billion that the Russians govornment is dishing out for these "games". And the hotels aren't even ready yet.

Kinda takes the whole prestige thing away and flushes it down the toilet. Russia should know better by now, but I guess not.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
These are going to go badly, not for Canada, in general. Russia just looks like they've thrown money at duct tape and wishful thinking.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 09:35 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i posted this in another thread but the olympics are about the events and the facilities. i dont care if reporters have to sleep in tents in alleyways. they all sound like spoiled western media. oh no woe is me i have to wipe my ass and stick it in a garbage can. Unless the facilities where the games are being held ie the arena, speedskating arena, ski hills are inadequate then the reporters should keep their petty complaints to themselves. imo

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Thanks for the thread Cloned. I haven't been following these games much, so I was surprised by the price tag of $51 billion that the Russians govornment is dishing out for these "games". And the hotels aren't even ready yet.

Kinda takes the whole prestige thing away and flushes it down the toilet. Russia should know better by now, but I guess not.
In a country with so much poverty its just an awful waste of money. Deplorable really.

But it usually is wherever the high priced Olympics goes.

People need food and water. But hey, give em a far away look at those fancy shiny medals. That'll fill em with confidence that everything is good.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
#ualberta

Hockey Canada made the easy/obvious/best choice in Martin St. Louis

I like it

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i posted this in another thread but the olympics are about the events and the facilities. i dont care if reporters have to sleep in tents in alleyways. they all sound like spoiled western media. oh no woe is me i have to wipe my ass and stick it in a garbage can. Unless the facilities where the games are being held ie the arena, speedskating arena, ski hills are inadequate then the reporters should keep their petty complaints to themselves. imo
Oh I do think the reporters are being drama queens about their accommodations and small beds, but the toilet thing is a huge health concern. The facilities will also prove to be inadequate, just wait.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Oh I do think the reporters are being drama queens about their accommodations and small beds, but the toilet thing is a huge health concern. The facilities will also prove to be inadequate, just wait.
You obviously never attended an event at the old Edmonton Gardens.

The *urinals* consisted of pissing against a block wall. Usually the same wall..but hey you got to smoke fat cigars and drink out of the secret hooch flask while doing it. (I was too young)

ps re "Toilet paper" Gardens management figured hiding a dozen toiler paper rolls around the place was kicking in too much for luxury. For the knowledgeable crowd it was a bring your own tp venue but better yet never have to go in one of the few toilets that actually worked and was unplugged..

For a visual you can watch Trainspotting and the "worst toilet in Scotland"

This was before beer sales at games. The best option always was just not to have to go near the washroom, for any reason.

pps the Gardens was a fire trap and the fire department wanted it condemned for around 15yrs. They had a long drawn out liability waiver written right on the ticket..

"He who enters in here does so at their own poor judgement....." lol

Last edited by Replacement: 02-06-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old
02-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You obviously never attended an event at the old Edmonton Gardens.

The *urinals* consisted of pissing against a block wall. Usually the same wall..but hey you got to smoke fat cigars while doing it. (I was too young)

ps "Toilet paper" Gardens management figured hiding a dozen toiler paper roles around the place was kicking in too much for luxury. For the knowledgeable crowd it was a bring your own tp but better yet never have to go in one of the few toilets that actually worked and was unplugged..

This was before beer sales at games. The best option always was just not to have to go near the washroom, for any reason.
The old Maple Leafs Gardens Troughs

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
The old Maple Leafs Gardens Troughs

Hey that's luxury accommodation. I "went" there as well. Don't step in any nuggets or trip over the big fat rat..

also remember which way was the exit when the power goes out.

Old
02-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
I'm not sure a study has ever been conducted but I can't imagine I more efficient bladder empty device for large crowds than a wall everyone can pee on. I mean, the space between urinals can only be thought of as "wasted"

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I'm not sure a study has ever been conducted but I can't imagine I more efficient bladder empty device for large crowds than a wall everyone can pee on. I mean, the space between urinals can only be thought of as "wasted"
Its a very efficient system. provided everybody is leaking in the same general direction and downhill..

No word on how well it worked for the ladies. Not many used to attend games at all. Strange that..

Old
02-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Is it just me or is anybody feeling less excited for these Olympics then any other games in recent memory?

I still will watch but I find as I'm getting older I'm looking forward to the Summer Olympics a lot more than the Winter games. I just find there aren't enough different sports and disciplines in the Winter Olympics. I think that's it at least. The Sochi troubles probably play a part in all of it too.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Is it just me or is anybody feeling less excited for these Olympics then any other games in recent memory?

I still will watch but I find as I'm getting older I'm looking forward to the Summer Olympics a lot more than the Winter games. I just find there aren't enough different sports and disciplines in the Winter Olympics. I think that's it at least. The Sochi troubles probably play a part in all of it too.
i think it has to do with the inability to watch live, im not getting up at 2am to watch skiing. and as a sports fan i detest watching sports on delay, it means i cant even open my email or phone for fear of finding out results.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Hockey Canada made the easy/obvious/best choice in Martin St. Louis

I like it
Good to hear. I think he was passed up last time around.

He very much deserves this.

Hallsy can wait his turn...lotsa time for him still.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i think it has to do with the inability to watch live, im not getting up at 2am to watch skiing. and as a sports fan i detest watching sports on delay, it means i cant even open my email or phone for fear of finding out results.
I PVR it then watch it in the afternoon when I get home. I get excited with it even if I know the results.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote