HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I just don't get it

Old
02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

vCash: 500
I just don't get it

Man ... we are complaining that we have no offence ! why not call up Grabovski , he was really good when he got called up last month ! he create opportunities and makes good play ! sent down Murray jesus christ !

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
Man ... we are complaining that we have no offence ! why not call up Grabovski , he was really good when he got called up last month ! he create opportunities and makes good play ! sent down Murray jesus christ !
He's hurt.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
He's hurt.
whats the injurie !?

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Knee on knee, 1-2 weeks

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
There was no reason to expect any offense out of tonight's lineup; we had the worst first and fourth line in the NHL.

Want to get some offense? I'd love to see Grabovski or especially Kostitsyn called up, but why not start with giving Perezhogin a chance on a scoring line instead of having Murray and Downey in the lineup at the same time? It certainly can't make things worse.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Ginoro

even if he wasn't hurt, he probably wouldn't get the call so we could discuss on that I guess lol

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Mike8

Well, other than the lines, one thing I don't understand is this:

So the team's in a funk right now, and has been for a little over a month. The team's been craving offense. And the organization's pretty happy, it seems, about the prospect pool.

So why not bring up some youngsters who'll inject some enthusiasm, skating, and live legs? I'm not on the bandwagon to bring up youth for the sake of it, or to think youngsters are saviors, but I do believe youngsters bring live legs for short stretches when they're first called up. That's something Montreal could've used a month ago, and can still use today.

That's what I don't get.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
There was no reason to expect any offense out of tonight's lineup; we had the worst first and fourth line in the NHL.

Want to get some offense? I'd love to see Grabovski or especially Kostitsyn called up, but why not start with giving Perezhogin a chance on a scoring line instead of having Murray and Downey in the lineup at the same time? It certainly can't make things worse.
Heh, I think it would be fun to bring back the infamous Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev line for a couple games, but I don't think it'll happen.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev (Give Perez 1 last chance, tell him hook a guy and his career in Montreal is over)
Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder
Streit-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Lapierre-Latendresse

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

So the team's in a funk right now, and has been for a little over a month. The team's been craving offense. And the organization's pretty happy, it seems, about the prospect pool.

So why not bring up some youngsters who'll inject some enthusiasm, skating, and live legs? I'm not on the bandwagon to bring up youth for the sake of it, or to think youngsters are saviors, but I do believe youngsters bring live legs for short stretches when they're first called up. That's something Montreal could've used a month ago, and can still use today.

That's what I don't get.
Well we did try that at various points with Kostitsyn, Grabovski and Lapierre, and except for Lapierre's first stint, nobody really blew anyone's mind. Personally I would rather see the veterans take matters into their own hands instead of relying on youngsters, but I also believe that Kostitsyn needs to be called up and given Samsonov's ice time/linemates. So it's a double-edged sword for me.

Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

That's what I don't get.
I agree. As much as i have grown to appreciate Mark Streit. The guy has no business being on the top line, nor really does Mike Johnson.

A guy like Kostistyn is probably worthy of getting a shot in the big leagues right now. Grabovsky was a guy who also made Montreal look somewhat dangerous flying through the neutral zone. Hopefully we've seen the end to these questionable lines (not holding my breath) and Samsonov.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GSK*

He need to be called up but I think he is injured right now (not sure).

Carbo should that line next game...

Probert-Howe-Richard/Orr-Shore

may be we would score more then one goal and kill the entire other team ?

Last 80pts: Recchi (97)
Last 90pts: Damphousse & Muller (93)
Last 100pts: Naslund (86)

Where is Doug Gilmour anyone ? May be he would be a good rental.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I wouldn't mind a re-call of Kostitsyn right now.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Artyukhin*

here is a real novel idea .

pay a a few guys the money who can actually score you 40 goals .
whens the last time we had a 40 -50 goal scorer in Montreal a real threat.

Here we are 55 games into the season

Sheldon Souray 18
Saku Koivu 16
Michael Ryder 15
Alexei Kovalev 14
Michael Ryder 15

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
pay a a few guys the money who can actually score you 40 goals .
And as soon as we do that, he'll drop to being a 15-20 goal scorer as is usually the case here and everyone will want Gainey fired because he didn't sign an offensive talent.

I know it's hard to fathom now, but Kovalev was supposed to be our 40 goal scorer.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:20 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
And as soon as we do that, he'll drop to being a 15-20 goal scorer as is usually the case here and everyone will want Gainey fired because he didn't sign an offensive talent.

I know it's hard to fathom now, but Kovalev was supposed to be our 40 goal scorer.

Why would we expect that? He scored 40+ goals one time, and over 30 goals two other times, in his 11 year career. His average is in the 20s.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev (Give Perez 1 last chance, tell him hook a guy and his career in Montreal is over)
That's the line I've wanted to be reunited for more than a year now. You can't play afraid to take a penalty though. Once you start thinking too much, it's impossible to play your best.

Toning down the bad penalties is a process; you can't expect instant results. However he could take twice as many penalties as he does now and I'd still think he's miles ahead of Murray or Downey in terms of what he brings to this team.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

see that is exactly what i find myself thinking all the freaken time...it really bugs me how our team hasnt had a real game breaker..a real bonafide scorer..a threat!..every player we trade for to do that job (Audette, Czerkawski, Kovalev) end up dropping to like 15 goals barely reaching 20 like hototogisu said. That being said, i have a feeling that if we land Forsberg..the same will happen to him. I dont know why it happens in MTL..it just does and its getting old.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Heh, I think it would be fun to bring back the infamous Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev line for a couple games, but I don't think it'll happen.

Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder
Streit-Bonk-Johnson

I agree, the only change I would make would to put Latendress on the 3rd line and move Streit to the 4th, but that's only my humble opinion.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:35 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:

Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder
Streit-Bonk-Johnson
That would be a intresting line to see.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post

Actually as for 90 pts. it was Turgeon (96) and Damphousse (96) who did it last in 1995-96. And they were labelled soft at times and considered not good enough to lead the Habs to the cup. Hmm, 96 pts. in 95-96 is still 85 or so by today's scoring rates (only down a half a goal per gamer from then). But I guesst the scrutiny is a bit understandable, considering the shakeup experienced and the fact a cup was just 3 years in the past, expectations were not to bow out in the 1st or 2nd round as the Habs have done every time they get to the dance. Those two were also the last to score 33+ goals in a season for us both tallying 38. There can't be a single team out there with such an unprolific offensive history in the last decade.

That speaks to how bad management was and how slowly we've been progressing ever since. Even New Jersey has had Gionta and Elias pop in 40-plus. Pathetic era for Habs firewagon hockey and I only hope it's nearly through. Adn every time we draft a guy capable of 30-40, there's something holding him back. Maybe we should give it a rest with the ex-Soviet state guys because outside of Markov none have ever given habs fans reason to be confident in the long run (we'll see how Perez, Grabovski and the Kostitsyn bros. turn out).

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
That's the line I've wanted to be reunited for more than a year now. You can't play afraid to take a penalty though. Once you start thinking too much, it's impossible to play your best.

Toning down the bad penalties is a process; you can't expect instant results. However he could take twice as many penalties as he does now and I'd still think he's miles ahead of Murray or Downey in terms of what he brings to this team.
I was mostly joking about that line, and I agree with that point about Murray and Downey x10.

But his penalty problem is becoming outrageous. Problem is not the # of penalties but just how stupid they are. He needs to have a serious discussion with the guys who are supposed to be helping him out, the coaches.

His penalty against the Isles was one of the stupidest 2 minute minor penalties I can remember. If he doesn't know by now in the NHL that you can't jump on a guys back and drag him down, 200 feet from your net with less than 1 minute in the period, he'll never figure it out. There is no excuse for that. I agreed with sitting him for the next game, but I also think he deserves a real chance with Koivu. All of our other "scorers" suck right now.

He's been a certain type of player his entire life, which gave him great success, but the second he showed up in Montreal we felt we had to change how he played. Insead of trying to teach him the NHL game, we tried to change how he plays. HUGE mistake.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Kingbobert

Quote:

turgeon had 96 points in 95-96

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I'm with you on this one. I'd love to see Kostitsyn get called up as his play recently has deserved it (especially when you take into consideration the struggles the Habs have had scoring at times). But the better option has to be Perezhogin at this point, as long as he isn't just added onto the 4th line or something else rediculous. The organisation has invested a lot in Kostitsyn, and hopefully they show faith in him next year and give him a proper chance (none of this bounce around the lines, not given any PP time stuff) but they have also invested a lot in Perezhogin and he deserves a chance to show what he can do on a scoring line.

At the moment, the Habs are looking to win a playoff spot so the remaining games are very important. One guy has been with the team all year, the other hasn't. If Kost were to join the team, I'm sure he would have his good moments, but if he struggles or makes a bad play, what happens to him? Same treatment as Pez? Sent down again? Wouldn't do his confidence any good and the team wouldn't benefit a great deal from it. Perezhogin has had his troubles this year and right now, he is sitting in the press box. Get him dressed again, put him on a scoring line and tell him he has 10-15-20 games to give as good an account of himself as he can. Give him every chance possible. Stick him with guys who can create offense, the Pez-Koivu-Kovalev line sounding ideal and see what he can do. At the worst, he sucks and Gainey can get an idea what to do with him at the end of the year. If it works out nicely, we get some offense, we get a young player rounding into form ahead of the playoffs and it might set him up with enough confidence to head into next year really motivated and play solid all year round.

This year, he started off the season in good form and slowed down as we hit the new year, struggling through January. Didn't the exact same thing happen last year? He started off great standing in for Zednik and as the year went on, he got used less and less, took more and more penalties and then when Gainey took over, found his game again and was effective through the playoffs. Whats to say we can't get him to have another turnaround this year? He has his faults, but they aren't irreversable. He has speed and energy, which is never a bad thing. When playing a more defensive role at the start of this year, he did the job. When playing a more offensive role at the start of last year, he did the job then as well. He has all the ability he needs, he just needs some fine tuning and the occassional boot up the rear.

If it doesn't work out for him this year, I have no idea what his plans would be, whether Russia would be an option or how determined he would be to find a place on this team or elsewhere in the NHL. But I do believe he can be a decent player on a top 3 line and although a lot of responsibility rests on the players shoulders, it's also the coaches job to get the best out of his players. Carbo hasn't been happy with him and by now, he has sent his message. As far as a complete outsider can tell, now is the time to bring him back and work him through his troubles and see if you can get something valuable for the team out of him on the ice. If not, why sit him all this time, why not just trade/waive him? If the Habs have any interest in Pez being a part of this team, they won't get a much better opportunity to try and jump start him IMO.

Let Kost try and play a while without Grabovski and give him a chance to play in the playoffs (either NHL or AHL) and give him a proper chance next year and the teams full support. But for now, they have an opportunity to get a young player playing well again, it just depends what they have planned for him. I hope they keep him around a little while longer because I don't see him as a lost cause.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 02-07-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Turgeon had 97 points in 96 for us.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:47 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Actually as for 90 pts. it was Turgeon (96) and Damphousse (96) who did it last in 1995-96. And they were labelled soft at times and considered not good enough to lead the Habs to the cup.
Turgeon was labelled soft, but NOT Damphousse. In fact, Vinnie was often put up as the contrast to Pete.

Damphousse was an intense player who battled for every inch and took a few too many penalties for it. Still, soft he was not, which is why he made a good captain. The problem was only that by about 1997, Damphousse had slowed down, speed-wise, and was no longer an elite player.

In the old days of hockey, we would have allowed our older statesmen to stay and impart their style and wisdom to the youngsters, but in today's atmosphere of demanding instant results and asking "what have you done for me lately?", no wonder no one finishes their career where they started.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote