HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
  #1051
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
For sure, we're not talking Steve Ott here. Either a pending UFA willing to re-sign a la Tomas Vanek or someone with some years left to his contract. Hard to speculate at this point. We'll know more closer at the trade deadline.
Unless it's sign and trade type scenario, getting a pending UFA for a 1st and a Tinordi would be catastrophic!

Fozz is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 02:52 PM
  #1052
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Habs would be picking 20th overall at this point. There's a pretty slim chance of picking a 1st line guy there. You're in role player territory at this point for most drafts. Not to mention that this draft is average to below average in terms of quality at those positions.

Also, what I meant by longshot was the likelihood that the pick would be worth the risk taken and cost to make that selection. I.e. it's a longshot that the pick would be worth say a good NHL player. Different situation and all but the Blues gave up a first and average prospects for Bouwmeester. Granted his contract was about to expire the year after, getting similar value for a first round pick this year would be much more interesting than potential role players.
The chances of the Habs getting Bouwmeester for our 1st pick last year, wouldn't happen as Calgary's pick was 22nd from St. Louis, the Habs picked 25th, in a strong draft. Emile Poirier being the player Calgary picked, along with that pick they received Reto Berra, St. Louis's 4th round pick 2006, the Swiss goalie that played every minute for Switzerland in the World Championships, the sensational play that earned him goalie of the tournament, with 1.00 gaa in 4 games. He's sharing #1 goalie duties for the Flames with KHL Top goalie for the last two seasons, Karri Ramo. Plus Dman Mark Cundari the PMD with slick passing, hardly average prospects.

Dream on if you think either Calgary or St. Louis will trade those players for the #10 pick this year, let alone the 18-20 th spot the Habs are tied for, ain't happening. So like you say getting similar value would be much more interesting than potential role players. Interesting to see if any GM could be duped into such a farcical trade.

Really you should do a little homework before making such statements. The Habs are far better served to keep their pick and use their knowledge in drafting a potential Pacioretty type in Alex Tuch, or one of many interesting picks that may slip to them. I'll put my money on Timmins, Bergevin, Dudley, Grant and our #1 talent evaluating team picking a plum from the draft, thanks.

S Bah is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
  #1053
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Bourque probably had negative value, still does.

Moen had a rough year, doubt you'd get a lot for him last year. He bounced back this year.

Duclair slid because of his intagibles and being one dimensional as much as it being a deep draft.
I won't argue about the value of players in the eye of NHL GMs, but even with his character issues, a guy of Duclair's talent would go much higher in most draft. It's just that last year's draft was so strong that Duclair got pushed much lower than he normally he should've been. My point was mainly that there was a lot of guys with some top skills that translate well to NHL that went relatively low last year and made them great value at their respective draft position.

JAVO16 is online now  
Old
02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  #1054
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
I won't argue about the value of players in the eye of NHL GMs, but even with his character issues, a guy of Duclair's talent would go much higher in most draft. It's just that last year's draft was so strong that Duclair got pushed much lower than he normally he should've been.
We got Reway and Andrighetto around there also.

Duclair it's not just character he is very one dimensional.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 04:20 PM
  #1055
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Picking a 1st line guy at #20 is probably a 15-25% chance but it's 3-4 times better than if your 1st pick is #50.

Just because you don't get a 1st liner it doesn't make your 1st rounder a bust. If you can get a Barbashev that will be a 45-55 point #2 center that kills penalities and plays physical. More skilled Fisher, high end 2nd liner. Or potentially a 20 minute #3 d-man with size and mobility in the Mueller mold(from past year).

If you could flip that 1st for a Yakupov sure you do it, but it would more likely be 1st plus DLR/Beaulieu/Tinordi plus Holland/LeBlanc type deal.
Yeah sure, but what matters is what player you can get for that 20th pick. Not how it compares to the 50th pick. It's a given that earlier choices give you a better chance of hitting a home run.

No I agree, you don't need first line guys with your picks. That said, the Habs should enter their prime 2 years from now. They still need to add some high profile players in order to be contenders. I don't think we're finding one at 20. I think trading the pick (if the return is interesting) should seriously be considered.

I think Fabbri can play that type of role. Sounds like he could be available later in the draft. He'd be my main target at this point in the draft. Not sure I'd spend a 20th overall pick on him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Unless it's sign and trade type scenario, getting a pending UFA for a 1st and a Tinordi would be catastrophic!
Of course, giving either one of Beaulieu or Tinordi or even both would need to draw a lot more than just a pending UFA (unless it's a sign and trade scenario).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The chances of the Habs getting Bouwmeester for our 1st pick last year, wouldn't happen as Calgary's pick was 22nd from St. Louis, the Habs picked 25th, in a strong draft. Emile Poirier being the player Calgary picked, along with that pick they received Reto Berra, St. Louis's 4th round pick 2006, the Swiss goalie that played every minute for Switzerland in the World Championships, the sensational play that earned him goalie of the tournament, with 1.00 gaa in 4 games. He's sharing #1 goalie duties for the Flames with KHL Top goalie for the last two seasons, Karri Ramo. Plus Dman Mark Cundari the PMD with slick passing, hardly average prospects.

Dream on if you think either Calgary or St. Louis will trade those players for the #10 pick this year, let alone the 18-20 th spot the Habs are tied for, ain't happening. So like you say getting similar value would be much more interesting than potential role players. Interesting to see if any GM could be duped into such a farcical trade.

Really you should do a little homework before making such statements. The Habs are far better served to keep their pick and use their knowledge in drafting a potential Pacioretty type in Alex Tuch, or one of many interesting picks that may slip to them. I'll put my money on Timmins, Bergevin, Dudley, Grant and our #1 talent evaluating team picking a plum from the draft, thanks.
I'm talking for this year. I.e. if the Habs could pull a Bouwmeester like trade this year.

Berra might not even be back with the team next year. He's been among the league's worse starters in the NHL. Cundari has yet been recalled this year and has been loaned to another AHL team. Doubt he's a high-progile guy in their organization.

It's a given St. Louis won't trade Bouwmeester It's not what I meant at all. There are always re-building teams willing to move some contracts for picks. Just saying it would be a good thing to look into this rather than keep the pick at all costs.

I do my homeworks just fine

Besides, they may draft a potential Fischer type as well. There are always risks involved with any draft pick.

Mathletic is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 05:21 PM
  #1056
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
I want the Habs to hold onto the pick... there are several players in this draft that meet the organisational need (C/W with some jam + 2nd line potential).

Le CH is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 05:27 PM
  #1057
Smoky Thompson
Registered User
 
Smoky Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
I want the Habs to hold onto the pick... there are several players in this draft that meet the organisational need (C/W with some jam + 2nd line potential).
A handful of those players projected to go between 10-25.

Smoky Thompson is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 07:08 AM
  #1058
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
This years draft reminds me of 2006.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html

It's interesting to look back at past drafts. Sometimes it feels like your team is the only team that sucks....but when you look at past drafts you realize that mistakes are made.

Everyone talks about Claude Giroux (and I have to admit I threw my hat at the TV when I saw Philly take him after us)....but if you look around where the habs were picking....not too many memorable names. Plus that year we picked up some extra 2nd's that helped us out (Whitey, Carle & Maxwell? maybe).

In many draft years it becomes a crap shoot after the top 10 or so. Still gotta role the dice!

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 07:42 AM
  #1059
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,343
vCash: 500
Went over the 1,000 post limit... so continue here svp...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1600147

Blind Gardien is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.