HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official GDT February 6: NY Rangers at New Jersey Devils, 7:30p MSG

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
  #726
towely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
its renneys fault blah blah blah its the refs blah blah blah its jagr blah blah blah its the zamboni driver blah blah blah.
how about this for a change the rangers played a decent game and came up a little short against one of the best teams in hockey as well as one of the best teams for the last dozen years its that simple.
what happened tonight is what was supposed to happen a good team played a average team and the good team did what they had to do and won. its just like if we played the flyers we would be expected to beat the crappier team even though at this rate we will be joining them soon.
but this blame game crap is tired and dead

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
  #727
Cartman27
 
Cartman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
its renneys fault blah blah blah its the refs blah blah blah its jagr blah blah blah its the zamboni driver blah blah blah.
how about this for a change the rangers played a decent game and came up a little short against one of the best teams in hockey as well as one of the best teams for the last dozen years its that simple.
what happened tonight is what was supposed to happen a good team played a average team and the good team did what they had to do and won. its just like if we played the flyers we would be expected to beat the crappier team even though at this rate we will be joining them soon.
but this blame game crap is tired and dead
Thats all that I see.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:43 PM
  #728
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i like the shootout because the game actually ends, but i would like to see 4 on 4 extended to 10 minutes. it would make shootouts more rare, and therefore, even more exciting.
maybe they should have 4 on 4 for 5 mins, then 3 on 3 for 5 mins then the shootout.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
  #729
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
boring devils hockey...
red wings was 30 times more boring

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
  #730
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
Please guys... Lets stop acting like Hollweg brings anything more than grit to this lineup.. He is invisible offensively.. Essentially, IMO, Avery has replaced Ryan. Ortmeyer can do everything Hollweg can do.
Avery has replaced Ryan? Firstly...Avery replaced Hall. Orr replaced Hollweg and hopefully we can get em both in and Krog out. Secondly...Ortmeyer cannot do everything Hollweg can do. Hollweg is hear to hit...and Jed cannot do it NEARLY as good. Jed cannot fight either. Avery has not replaced Hollweg...

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
  #731
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Anyone else happy to have Avery?? What a nice play by him.
It's amazing what an impact he can have. These are the types of players I've been begging for forever...hit, score, pass, fight, skate, defend, etc

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:51 PM
  #732
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
I'll say one thing with absolute certainty:

I hope the men in the Rangers lockeroom have a little more composure than their fans, or we're all in for a long, long spring.

Perhaps when expectations aren't met by reality people feel let down. However, I'd argue from a personal perspective that this Rangers team we're watching is what I expected, and what we all should have expected.

Let's face it: we're still in a transition phase here. The bulk of our assets aren't ready, but some of the pieces are falling into place. I look at the Avery trade as another sign that what could have been much worse (and an opportunity to travel down the path toward the darkside) didn't come to fruition. Now, that isn't to say that the deadline won't see us spring for Keith Tkachuk at the expense of Bobby Sang and Tommy Pyatt, but I see that as unlikely.

In my opinion, the further we fall out of the playoffs the better we're off in the long run. I don't necessarily see us becoming sellers, but I do see us keeping some young assets that we might have dealt in an attempt to get that extra piece.

It's not all bad guys. Try to get a little grip on the situation.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:56 PM
  #733
Strong Island
Registered User
 
Strong Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
It's amazing what an impact he can have. These are the types of players I've been begging for forever...hit, score, pass, fight, skate, defend, etc
Aside from the stupid bump of Brodeur later on in the game I thought he showed great restraint as well. I can't see how this deal could turn out bad for the Rangers. Ward had become nothing more than a spare part, and you turn that into Avery who, with a little more maturity (which I personally think will come to him soon), is turning into one hell of a player in many important aspects.

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:56 PM
  #734
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm a little surprised they sat Hollweg. Hollweg and Avery in the same line up could drive an opponent nuts.
Yep...hoping for:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Avery-Shanahan
Hossa-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
  #735
shoeshine5
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with the Avery trade at first, but after seeing him tonight I was very impressed.

shoeshine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
  #736
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Let's face it: we're still in a transition phase here. The bulk of our assets aren't ready, but some of the pieces are falling into place. I look at the Avery trade as another sign that what could have been much worse (and an opportunity to travel down the path toward the darkside) didn't come to fruition. Now, that isn't to say that the deadline won't see us spring for Keith Tkachuk at the expense of Bobby Sang and Tommy Pyatt, but I see that as unlikely.
I am with you on this. Plus I think Avery adds something that the Rangers totally lacked.

I would like to see a full season of a 3rd line something like Avery-Cullen-Prucha. There's enough Rangers right now to have pretty good 1st and 4th lines. Maybe the Rangers just won't roll a 2nd line - skip right over it.

The rest of the season can be a good opportunity to align everything for next year. I am not done with this year, but 18-10 is a pretty tall order even for this team when it was playing well.

When I saw the Lukowich hit live, it looked like an elbow. People I was sitting with for obvious reasons disagreed with me. Is the general consensus 50/50? I still haven't seen a replay.

__________________
Fantasy sports betting at FakePuppy - Pick moneylines, over/unders and spreads. Totally free.
abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
  #737
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
Who is trading for a player with 0 points and a whole lot of PIMs? It isn't 1976 anymore.
Dude....seriously...you don't need to score to be effective...and a bunch of those penalties...heck just about all of em are from fights or roughing/elbowing/boarding etc

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
  #738
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Orr is useless, Callahan or someone else should get his icetime. At least with Callahan or someone else u can roll 4 lines. I have not seen anything of Orr. Hollweg should have been in the lineup.
Callahan? No. Hollweg? Yes. However...the lines have been mixed up all night in order to move Jagr around...look how much ice time Janssen has got....Seriously that doesn't effect us much at all....and while he did play he wasn't too bad

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
  #739
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 500
I had work, couldn't watch the game. I'm glad to hear that we FINALLY got a point out of a game. We're not out of it boys, we still got 28 games left and only 6 points out of the 8th spot. Not only that, but we have two games in hand on Carolina so that helps a lot. There's still a lot of hockey to play, don't give up hope!

Sean Avery was exactly what I knew he would be. Not that anyone pays attention to what I say on this forum, but I've been saying how good the guy is as a hockey player. I've been wanting the Rangers to trade for Avery since the last season's trade deadline. If he can keep his PIMs under control down the stretch and just play some solid, gritty hockey, I think he can really help spark this team to some wins.

Obviously, two points would've been a lot better, but we played a great game. Brodeur, once again, won this game for the Devils.

Tell me how sick this line would be (even though I dont think it'll happen):

Avery-Cullen-Prucha

Three fast players with scoring ability on one line. Prucha does show some grit out there and tries to hit people. Avery does everything well. Cullen is a good player when he plays with people that skate with him. My new line formations:

Shanahan-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Cullen-Prucha
Straka-Betts-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Krog-Hossa

I like Straka but maybe if he plays the 3rd line, he can help add some scoring on the lower lines. Also, I know we've been saying that Shanny and Jagr shouldn't play together but seriously, why not? Let's try it out. Straka, Nyls, and Jagr haven't been spectacular as of late, why not just try it out and see what happens? Maybe Jagr and Shanny can start lighting the lamp a bit more. Jagr setting up Shanny at even strength could really help this team.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
  #740
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Wow, what an elbow by Lukowhich.

What the ****!? HOW is that not called?!
Nice to see all we did was "have words". Also...I guess that's how you respond to Ward's hit...which is what many of us always preach for

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
  #741
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I am with you on this. Plus I think Avery adds something that the Rangers totally lacked.

I would like to see a full season of a 3rd line something like Avery-Cullen-Prucha. There's enough Rangers right now to have pretty good 1st and 4th lines. Maybe the Rangers just won't roll a 2nd line - skip right over it.

The rest of the season can be a good opportunity to align everything for next year. I am not done with this year, but 18-10 is a pretty tall order even for this team when it was playing well.

When I saw the Lukowich hit live, it looked like an elbow. People I was sitting with for obvious reasons disagreed with me. Is the general consensus 50/50? I still haven't seen a replay.

Damn, haha...didn't see that somebody suggested that Avery-Cullen-Prucha line before me! Oh well, it should be tested!

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:21 AM
  #742
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I disagree, I think this team has a phenomenal mixture of east-west, and north south, the problem is that they just arent meshing like they should on a consistent basis.
I see what you mean, and I can't really dissagree when it comes to the material pice by pice.

But look at this roster;
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000482004.html

Its so good that atleast a trip to the finals should be gauranteed, instead its one of the worst teams I've seen...

What we don't have is a solid platform. You build a team pice by pice. We put together our first pices last seasons, from gooing into the season before that only Kaspar and Ortmayer are left.

Just take the PP as a example. Lets say Straka, Nylander, Jagr, Rozival, Rachunek, Cullen, Shanahan and Prucha had been here since 2001. I can almost gaurantee you then, that our PP would have been a handful of % better. They would have had the same problems they have now 5 years ago, and sorted it out.

Its a great example of how much time really means to build a team. And while the PP is "special" situation, the same basically applys to D pairings, to PKers, to lines, the gameplans, to goaltender-defensemen situations.

These are not things that a coach can draw up on a board and have his team execute right away. Especially not if we want platform that actually will take us anywere in the long run.

And more importantly, we are exclusivly competeing against teams that have built a strong core the last 3-5 years.

Philly have fallen out of grace lately. But look at what teams have been successful the last 10-12 years, the same franchises keeps poping up. They are well run, no doubt about it. But I've said this before, taking a team from sucking into a contender is a real uphill battle. You can't do things as good as the rest of the teams, you will only remain in the cellar, you must do things allot better then the rest of the teams.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:33 AM
  #743
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I'll say one thing with absolute certainty:

I hope the men in the Rangers lockeroom have a little more composure than their fans, or we're all in for a long, long spring.

Perhaps when expectations aren't met by reality people feel let down. However, I'd argue from a personal perspective that this Rangers team we're watching is what I expected, and what we all should have expected.

Let's face it: we're still in a transition phase here. The bulk of our assets aren't ready, but some of the pieces are falling into place. I look at the Avery trade as another sign that what could have been much worse (and an opportunity to travel down the path toward the darkside) didn't come to fruition. Now, that isn't to say that the deadline won't see us spring for Keith Tkachuk at the expense of Bobby Sang and Tommy Pyatt, but I see that as unlikely.

In my opinion, the further we fall out of the playoffs the better we're off in the long run. I don't necessarily see us becoming sellers, but I do see us keeping some young assets that we might have dealt in an attempt to get that extra piece.

It's not all bad guys. Try to get a little grip on the situation.
Thanks for this because last night I was having a melt down. Feeling better today though.

There have been some good points made about the Avery trade. He is young and talented for the type of player he is, and you can not deny his passion for the game. The only problem will be if his locker room cancer rep is the real deal. We'll see.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:34 AM
  #744
Phil333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Thanks for this because last night I was having a melt down. Feeling better today though.

There have been some good points made about the Avery trade. He is young and talented for the type of player he is, and you can not deny his passion for the game. The only problem will be if his locker room cancer rep is the real deal. We'll see.
Usually after a trade players just try to settle into their new surrondings and defer to the people who are already there. (See: Allen Iverson in Denver)

Phil333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:59 AM
  #745
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony Mauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
btw, you guys want something to be ticked about?

how about the non call on the flying elbow into Pruchas face?

That was awful.
Still can't believe Joe rationalizing that and saying he got him CLEAN with a shoulder? I mean, the man STARTED with the shoulder and then proceeded to finish him with a heavy elbow.

I kind of was pissed that Aaron Ward hit Brylin like that causing Lukowich to seek Prucha out moreso than usual. But you cannot play with that fear, and we need this much needed physicality.

That Prucha kid is some battler.

__________________
Click for the DraftBuzz 2014 NHL DRAFT BLOG

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:10 AM
  #746
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony Mauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,254
vCash: 500
Really disappointed after the shootout. It's soo frustrating seeing Jagr's antics. Ok, you're hurt. Can't dispute that. But Captain. All-Star. Wonderkind of his generation. You don't have the confidence to take a shot in the shootout? That has nothing to do with the injury. No Devil player will magically hop the bench and blindside hit him. In my estimation, Jagr needs to grow a pair and be the difference maker. How could you not want to take that shot and help your team? That just shows me he does not care.

And to let Matt *****^ Cullen take that shot? PLEASE NO STATS from previous years. Cullen has been 1/3 for us, not too great. And just watch the guy, he is only successful when he has two seconds or less with the puck. Ask him to carry the puck and make a play, say in a shootout, you can count on being knocked out.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:18 AM
  #747
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
Rangers played well. No complains. SO is a toss, we could have won. Keep it up guys!

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:28 AM
  #748
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Really disappointed after the shootout. It's soo frustrating seeing Jagr's antics. Ok, you're hurt. Can't dispute that. But Captain. All-Star. Wonderkind of his generation. You don't have the confidence to take a shot in the shootout? That has nothing to do with the injury. No Devil player will magically hop the bench and blindside hit him. In my estimation, Jagr needs to grow a pair and be the difference maker. How could you not want to take that shot and help your team? That just shows me he does not care.

And to let Matt *****^ Cullen take that shot? PLEASE NO STATS from previous years. Cullen has been 1/3 for us, not too great. And just watch the guy, he is only successful when he has two seconds or less with the puck. Ask him to carry the puck and make a play, say in a shootout, you can count on being knocked out.
I'm not upset with Jags not going in the SO. Bottom line, he's just not that good in them. I was surprised to see Cullen because I figured Straka would take it, but even so I don't think it's outrageous to try him over Jaro.

Frankly, Straka/Prucha > Jagr in a shootout.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
  #749
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
I thought last nights game was enjoyable, it had alot of passion, good goaltending displays, and the Rangers got a point. The only partof the game that I was disapointed in was #1 it went to a shootout, normally I dont mind a shootout all that much, but to have such a great game decided by a "skills" contest kinda of kills the experiance IMO, and secondly Cullen in the shootout, why? Other than that I though each team had it's share of the bounces, the officiating was for the most part good and all in all I thought the Rangers played extremly well. Avery surprised me quite honestly, I didnt know what to expect but he set up Cullen a good 2-3 and Cullen just couldnt pull the trigger but I think that will come with more time together. I dont think there is anything the Rangers have to be ashamed of from last nights "loss".

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:10 AM
  #750
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,018
vCash: 500
I don't think Prucha will ever learn to skate with his head up and that he will end up like Lindros getting concussion after concussion. He gets hit hard more often than any other Ranger and at his size I don't think he can avoid breaking down.

If he could fetch something of value I would move him. I know it could backfire but all trades can backfire.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.