HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why we have to read between the lines...

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 01:51 AM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Why we have to read between the lines...

This just caught my eye as being a little interesting. You'll remember a few weeks ago a little bit of an uproar over Teemu Selanne "ranting", as the AP and TSN would have you believe, over his demotio to the third line in Colorado. The reality was that Selanne made one minor comment that was elevated to headline news by the AP. The reaction on the boards was largely "what a whiner, what a baby, keep your mouth shut and play hockey, what a terrible team player". So, I found it quite interesting that the AP or TSN didn't find the find the following comments from Selanne newsworthy...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...924263,00.html

Quote:
Selanne said Thursday morning he isn't offended about being asked about playing on the third line.

"I understand, because a lot of people are wondering that, too," he said. "As a player, you just have to look at it like it's Mr. Granato's decision who he wants to play together.

"I can play first line, I can play third line, I can play fourth line. I think I can do all those jobs. If it's helping the team the most on the third line, that's my job. I understand that people are asking about it, because my friends are asking about it."

"I respect the coach's decision, and I believe that everybody is trying to make this team better."
Paints a rather different picture of the player and his status in the Avs room. In any case, this isn't mean't as a defense of Selanne in any way. Simply to point out that a lot of headlines that we take to be gospel aren't as reliable as we might like. This is just one example. A lot of us on the boards judge a player's character based upon these flawed news reports. Truth is, unless we're in the room with the guys we know very little about their character.

Old
02-01-2004, 01:53 AM
Lyons71

Jeeze! What a baby!

Old
02-01-2004, 03:09 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
Jeeze! What a baby!