HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Forsberg!!!!

Old
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Forsberg!!!!

Now that Sammy is off the Books and clearing cape space for now, the habs have a move in hand. I propose the fallowing:

Ryder and Rivet with a 1st and 2nd round
for
Forsberg and Gauthier

or

Perezhogin and Rivet and a 1st round pick
for Forsberg

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Clumsyhab

90% Sammy won't be claimed on waivers.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Why are we trading for a player rental for the play-offs if we might not even make it?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

that's way too much for Forsberg. Make it a conditional first dependant on him resigning with the habs.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Please change your title really misleading.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:56 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
that's way too much for Forsberg. Make it a conditional first dependant on him resigning with the habs.
A conditional pick for a rental player would be based on how deep the Habs go in the playoffs.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
90% Sammy won't be claimed on waivers.
yep, so what happens then?

We can send him to minors, but thats stupid, someone will claim him on re-entry for sure. I don't want the habs to be on the hook for half the salary.

But then again, we can let him rot in minors, or do you guys think we'll see him in a habs uniform again? how fat is he? LOL

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why are we trading for a player rental for the play-offs if we might not even make it?
Maybe cuz he'd help us make them?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:58 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Maybe cuz he'd help us make them?
If we need help making them, then we can't expect to realistically think about winning them? If we were still solidly chasing Buffalo for 1st then I'd say, you know what, make the deal. But now, where we are not a contender, still a rebuilding team. We keep our assets.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Someone lock this thread... stupid title.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deandebean

Change the title of the thread, please. It is not news, it's only speculation. But it's written as if it's news.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Masao

Samsonov is being misused.

Place him on the first line with Koivu and Kovalev, give them a couple of games to mesh in, then see him rack up the goals better than anyone on the team.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
lennywebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Masao View Post
Samsonov is being misused.

Place him on the first line with Koivu and Kovalev, give them a couple of games to mesh in, then see him rack up the goals better than anyone on the team.
Let him with Bonk and Johnson and give him some PP time.

lennywebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty the clown View Post
Please change your title really misleading.
Sorry, just wanting forsberg in MTL
And with that talk about him and comments from out there, it's beleive that the Canadien are in the hunt for him.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
Now that Sammy is off the Books and clearing cape space for now, the habs have a move in hand. I propose the fallowing:

for
Forsberg and Gauthier

or

for Forsberg
Um, Forsberg will choose his team, since he has a no trade clause. Why, on earth, would he come to Montreal when he could go to a contender?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
RE-HABS

Sorry, but Sammy is not off the books. His salary is still counting against the cap, he won't be picked up and we need to trade him so even if we waive him a 2nd time and he is claimed we will be stuck with 1/2 of his salary next year...we can't be stuck with half off that salary against our cap next year.

We need the cash to sign Souray (like him or hate him, he is our leading goal scorer and point leader and is needed here). Markov, he is needed here badly. Our best two way Dman and potentially a Norris candidate if he can put a season together like Sheldon's. We also need to re-sign Kommy, Higgins and Ryder who are RFA's.

If Gainey can screw someone over to take Sammy's contract and not take too much salary in return he is a genious, I don't see 29 suckers out there though.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
A conditional pick for a rental player would be based on how deep the Habs go in the playoffs.
no, it would likely be based on weather or not we re-sign him, a la Roloson.

Old
02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
GSK*

Forsberg ? Dunno... may be a move in the off season for a number 1 centre ?

Higgins-#1 centre-Kovalev
Grabovsky-Koivu-Kostitsyn
Plekanec-Chipchura-Latendresse
Begin-Lapierre-Ferland

Markov-Souray
Komisarek-D-men UFA/trade
Emelin-Streit

Would be nice for the next season lineup, but we really need to add a first line centre or elite winger and let Rivet goes and try to get a good #3-4 d-man on the market.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:50 PM
le_sean

Quote:
no, it would likely be based on weather or not we re-sign him, a la Roloson.
Well it could be both, but they are more likely guaranteed a pick based on performance since there is more of a chance he does something in the playoffs (i.e. 3rd rounder for getting to the 2nd round, 2nd for 3rd round, etc). So they would be smarter to pursue that route since we all know that Philly will likely resign him in the offseason, Foppa likes it there.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post

for
Forsberg and Gauthier

or

for Forsberg
Rivet an upcoming UFA has no trade value to a team that isn't making the playoffs.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If we need help making them, then we can't expect to realistically think about winning them? If we were still solidly chasing Buffalo for 1st then I'd say, you know what, make the deal. But now, where we are not a contender, still a rebuilding team. We keep our assets.

Sure hope that's what Edmonton told themselves when they got in last year. Eh.. we're here, we saw everything lets lose in 4 and get going. Lets not get in the way of a real contender.

This is the freaking NHL. Every team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Sorry, but Sammy is not off the books. His salary is still counting against the cap, he won't be picked up and we need to trade him so even if we waive him a 2nd time and he is claimed we will be stuck with 1/2 of his salary next year...we can't be stuck with half off that salary against our cap next year.
If Samsonov clears waivers, his salary will not count against the cap if we have the guts to send him to Hamilton. Furthermore, if he refuses to report there, the club doesn't even have to pay him.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well it could be both, but they are more likely guaranteed a pick based on performance since there is more of a chance he does something in the playoffs (i.e. 3rd rounder for getting to the 2nd round, 2nd for 3rd round, etc). So they would be smarter to pursue that route since we all know that Philly will likely resign him in the offseason, Foppa likes it there.
playoff success being tied into a conditional draft choice is one of the stupidest things I could imagine. Bob Gainey should be immediatly fired if he did that. Here is an example

Montreal trades Kost + conditional first rounder for Forsberg

If Montreal wins the stanley cup the pick goes from a 2nd to a first.(this is generous since any such condition would likely be just winning the first round)

Forsberg breaks his leg in regular season finale, and Montreal rallies to win the cup. Adding Forsberg would not have contributed to us winning the cup in any way, shape or form but we have to surrender a first rounder anyways. THAT is the exact reason why no gm would ever do that. The only way Bob would do something like that is if the condition was Forsberg winning the conn smythe.

Old
02-07-2007, 12:37 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
playoff success being tied into a conditional draft choice is one of the stupidest things I could imagine. Bob Gainey should be immediatly fired if he did that. Here is an example

If Montreal wins the stanley cup the pick goes from a 2nd to a first.(this is generous since any such condition would likely be just winning the first round)

Forsberg breaks his leg in regular season finale, and Montreal rallies to win the cup. Adding Forsberg would not have contributed to us winning the cup in any way, shape or form but we have to surrender a first rounder anyways. THAT is the exact reason why no gm would ever do that. The only way Bob would do something like that is if the condition was Forsberg winning the conn smythe.
I offered a proposal for the Habs to get Forsberg... my condition was that Forsberg play 8 playoff games. The Habs get out of the first round and Philly doesn't have to hold your damn hand all the way to an unlikely Cup victory.

I've also said on the Sens board.... that I'd offer a conditional 1st rounder for anybody (Garth Murray, Jeff Cowan, Dennis Bonvie) as long as we won the Cup.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:24 AM
le_sean

Quote:

I meant that a conditional pick based on where Montreal ends up should be pursued by Philadelphia. Of course I would like it if this pick was based on Montreal signing him in the offseason, but there is a bidding war to get Forsberg and so this deal has to be sweetened for Philly to accept. Obviously there would be other conditions, like Forsberg having to play so many playoff games, I just didn't think I needed to explain it all to you.

I'm sure if your scenario of Montreal winning the Cup comes true the first thing that comes to your mind is "oh ****, what about that 1st rounder we owe Philly now?" Who cares, they have the Cup.