HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok let's not get ridiculous

Old
02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Ok let's not get ridiculous

Yes we are all upset but the answer is NOT trading every player on the team for draft picks!!

Every thread.

Trade Lupul, trade Torres, Trade Smith, Trade ??? for draft picks and lets start again and what do we stock our roster with next year?

My favourite was lets trade ALL the above players and a few more players for draft picks and win the cup in two years?

Lets be realistic people, Lowe is not going to make a trade unless it makes sense.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:38 PM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
no dont calm them down.. i need more threads to read a work tomrrow

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Yes we are all upset but the answer is NOT trading every player on the team for draft picks!!

Every thread.

Trade Lupul, trade Torres, Trade Smith, Trade ??? for draft picks and lets start again and what do we stock our roster with next year?

My favourite was lets trade ALL the above players and a few more players for draft picks and win the cup in two years?

Lets be realistic people, Lowe is not going to make a trade unless it makes sense.
Yeah I do not want a ton of draft picks but a mid to late 20s top 4 D anchor the back end going forward would be nice and if that cost a Smith plus say a roster forward and/or a pick or something I would do it. Too early for me with Lupul. I would not want to trade Torres unless the return was good and involved a non-UFA D.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:41 PM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Panic button!

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:41 PM
dynastydays

making a trade that makes sense stopped making sense about a month ago. Its waaaaay beyond making sense now. Sense was in the preseason, sense has nothing to do with any trades right now... we are in salvage territory, bent over a barrel. The only sensical thing to do now is stay the course, develop the youth and get what we can for next season.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
making a trade that makes sense stopped making sense about a month ago. Its waaaaay beyond making sense now. Sense was in the preseason, sense has nothing to do with any trades right now... we are in salvage territory, bent over a barrel. The only sensical thing to do now is stay the course, develop the youth and get what we can for next season.
Yeah I totally agree. Trade off a couple old guys if we can Sykora, Nedved etc... and bring some kids up and play the heck out of them. If Lowe can swing something to help the defense for next season, then do it but that is unlikely, at least until Summer.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah I do not want a ton of draft picks but a mid to late 20s top 4 D anchor the back end going forward would be nice and if that cost a Smith plus say a roster forward and/or a pick or something I would do it. Too early for me with Lupul. I would not want to trade Torres unless the return was good and involved a non-UFA D.
I don't see how trading a top four dman like Smith, (he is just not a number one and that is why he has struggled) for another top 4 dman helps us?

Its robbing Peter to save Paul.

I have my doubts on Torres trade value at this moment! The only rumours I have heard is him for UFA dman. I woudn't make that trade.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Well said. For the past month, after every loss, we come to this board and read non-sencical rants about the sky falling.

"that's the season" we hear.
"trade Lupul+Torres for"... a second pairing defensemen.

Some of the people on these boards - and not just the new people - are so off their rocker it is laughable. It actually detracts from the boards.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
I don't see how trading a top four dman like Smith, (he is just not a number one and that is why he has struggled) for another top 4 dman helps us?

Its robbing Peter to save Paul.

I have my doubts on Torres trade value at this moment! The only rumours I have heard is him for UFA dman. I woudn't make that trade.
Well you can see in my posts I do not want a UFA D man but a younger guy and if that took Smith plus a forward, just a hypothetical then I would do it. I am not ripping all over Smith but he is winding down, if we can keep him and still get that younger guy then by all means. Though I do not advocate extending Smith beyond his final season. He probably has 1 more decent year left in him as a middle pair guy.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:46 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
Bingo Dynasty!

Though I would disagree that the magical trade was available in the pre-season either.

That trade that we needed was never available and still isn't. The lack of trade activity in the NHL would back up my point!

Old
02-06-2007, 11:51 PM
gr8haluschak

hockeyaddict = reasoning and brains on this board

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
hockeyaddict = reasoning and brains on this board
There are a lot of brains on this board but we are in panic mode.

I am just trying to calm the panic a little but I understand where it is coming from. It was a huge dissapoinment!

Old
02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Yanner39

Quote:

Every thread.

Yeah some posters are over the top, but I do think a shakeup is needed. Undiciplined plays like Torres, IMO, is a sign of complacency. Especially in an important game like this.

I'm sick or hearing the excuses of "Well, this team is still young" or "The Oilers lost because of the refs". Blah, Blah, Blah. This team has way to many passengers right now.

Trading for draft picks is stupid unless were looking at sure-shot first rounders and those are not available.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:44 AM
eastcoasteh

IN the end, the boys say they gotta win 20 of their next 28. Well, that's what they gotta do. Sure it would have been a nice start to win last night, but it's 1 game. move on.

In Raffi's defence, the 2-man pp they got out of the Hemsky/Cooke scrum was a ridiculous call. I'd be bitter too

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
In Raffi's defence, the 2-man pp they got out of the Hemsky/Cooke scrum was a ridiculous call. I'd be bitter too
No excuses for that. It's called discipline and in an important divisional game like that, it can't happen. Man, Smith stood up for Hemsky in the first period and didn't get a penalty. It's called picking your spot. Torres was stupid last night.

Old
02-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Cheeseboy

I don't think last night's game was all bad. They came out skating, hitting everything that moved, good physical play. Hemsky looked like he was possessed out there, couple of bounces and we've got more than two goals. However, the two 5 on 3s killed any momentum that we had. I would agree that I think that's the first time I've ever seen two two-minute 5-on-3s in a single game but you can't blame the refs. The players must know by now that refs often miss the first incident, but will always call the retaliation. Torres needs to play physical but not stupid. (See above comments about Jason Smith).

Cheeseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseboy View Post
I don't think last night's game was all bad. They came out skating, hitting everything that moved, good physical play. Hemsky looked like he was possessed out there, couple of bounces and we've got more than two goals. However, the two 5 on 3s killed any momentum that we had. I would agree that I think that's the first time I've ever seen two two-minute 5-on-3s in a single game but you can't blame the refs. The players must know by now that refs often miss the first incident, but will always call the retaliation. Torres needs to play physical but not stupid. (See above comments about Jason Smith).
You know what, I totally agree. Despite the lost, I thought a number of players looked good. The #1 line, Sykora played well and I think Hedja and Smid take alot more heat from the fans than they should. But like MacT said in the Sun today, 2 full 5x3 are really hard to overcome. And the worst part, the PK almost killed off both. I think the Nux scored with what 20 or 30 seconds left in both penalties.

This teams has some good things, hence the initial point of the thread were HA101 wonders why the Oilers want to trade roster players for draft picks.

Old
02-07-2007, 08:43 AM
hockeyaddict101

Drafting roster players like Lupul and Torres for draft picks is not a shake up, it would be a panic move.

If there is a trade that doesn't kill the team and shakes the roster in a good way I am all for it. Sign me up!

Old
02-07-2007, 08:47 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
IN the end, the boys say they gotta win 20 of their next 28. Well, that's what they gotta do. Sure it would have been a nice start to win last night, but it's 1 game. move on.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
The only thing that's ridiculous is this team's complete inability to ****ing stand up & be counted in the big games.
Trading for Chris Pronger, Alex Ovechkin & Sidney Crosby wouldn't help this team now. The trade ship sailed long ago.

Stick a fork in us.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:

^You don't think Torres skating half way across the rink to get into a scrum with Cooke was stupid? Hemsky got nailed by Cooke, and was a clean hit. Lack of descipline got the best of him, which cost the team twice. If he wanted to get even, Torres has put his physical game face on. Why isn't Torres playing physical anymore anyways? Torres plays his best when he's hitting every player at every given opportunity, does he not, so why doesn't he play his game not Cookes game.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote