HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
  #26
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Missed call on MAB, perhaps an interference on Lupul. Other than that they let them play and Torres deserved what he got. Brainless. One of the better officiated games this year.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
  #27
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Seems like they have it in for both AB teams tonight.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:55 PM
  #28
camboy
Registered User
 
camboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Missed call on MAB, perhaps an interference on Lupul. Other than that they let them play and Torres deserved what he got. Brainless. One of the better officiated games this year.
Nope, not even close. Storini set the tone with a clean hit to start the game and the Canucks responded by taking runs at everybody.

Three examples:

- No instigator penalty after the Storini hit? or an extra penalty to the Canucks' player for roughing after said hit? although Torres gets one for basically doing the same thing?
-The hit on MAB was from behind and should have been called boarding. Plain and simple. MAB was lucky to not be injured on the play.
-Pyatts run at Hemsky could have created an ugly incident. Luckily he missed....as there would have been at very least a bench clearing brawl.

I think the refs should call it both ways and let the players decide the game. The Oilers set it off with physical play, the Canucks responded, and the refs shut it down by penalizing Edmonton. Not really fair and not what I call good officiating.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
  #29
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
Nope, not even close. Storini set the tone with a clean hit to start the game and the Canucks responded by taking runs at everybody.

Three examples:

- No instigator penalty after the Storini hit? or an extra penalty to the Canucks' player for roughing after said hit? although Torres gets one for basically doing the same thing?
-The hit on MAB was from behind and should have been called boarding. Plain and simple. MAB was lucky to not be injured on the play.
-Pyatts run at Hemsky could have created an ugly incident. Luckily he missed....as there would have been at very least a bench clearing brawl.

I think the refs should call it both ways and let the players decide the game. The Oilers set it off with physical play, the Canucks responded, and the refs shut it down by penalizing Edmonton. Not really fair and not what I call good officiating.
If you want an instigator after the Stortini hit then there has to be an instigator on both Smid and Greene. The non call was the correct one as it was just players sticking up for their teammates.

As I said the MAB hit was a miss. Other than that they let them play. Take both Torres brain farts out of the game and it's 2-2 and a great game.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:25 AM
  #30
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
the reffing started out fine, but after the Torres misconduct they put their whistles away.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:26 AM
  #31
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,562
vCash: 500
The officiating was a ****ing joke. I was at the game. Hemsky's one handed "slash" was a disgraceful call after everything that had happened earlier in the game that went uncalled. I'm not sure if you guys at home saw, but Cooke came out of the box and charged Hemsky... that's why Hemmer retaliated.

Giving Torres a 2min misconduct for being pissed off was wrong, especially in a game that meant as much as tonight's did. Why is it that teams like Detroit can yell at the refs (see Yzerman in game one of last year's playoffs), but when the Oilers do it, they get something tacked on?

When Stortini smoked Krajicek, how did Fitzpatrick not pick up an extra two?

****. At least Minny lost.


Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 02-07-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
  #32
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!
 
Belcriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,651
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I didn't see three cross checks in a row by Cooke. He was skating hard, hitting hard and was relentless. I'd for sure want cooke on my team anyday. Cooke won that game for Van if you ask me. Undiscipline lost us the game along with poor defence along with the worst puck support I've witnessed.
Alright, they weren't crosschecks. But, he interfered with Nedved, who didn't have the puck and then he went after Smid who didn't have the puck. Why wasn't he taking two penalties right there? Besides, the so called cross check that Hemsky gave was exactly what I watch defensemen and forwards do in the crease, exactly as hard and its NEVER called. I won't say that the Oilers lost the game because of the two five on threes, but I will say it tilted the game in the Canucks favour, and it was BS.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:30 AM
  #33
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Missed call on MAB, perhaps an interference on Lupul. Other than that they let them play and Torres deserved what he got. Brainless. One of the better officiated games this year.
Four minutes prior to the Torres penalty, Cooke did the exact same thing to Nedved and it wasn't called. Missed called frustrated them and I don't blame Torres. The missed calls on the Canucks was the worst I have ever seen.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:33 AM
  #34
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
If you want an instigator after the Stortini hit then there has to be an instigator on both Smid and Greene. The non call was the correct one as it was just players sticking up for their teammates.

As I said the MAB hit was a miss. Other than that they let them play. Take both Torres brain farts out of the game and it's 2-2 and a great game.
Stoll got hit by Kunitz vs Anaheim and no call. He got hit by Bieksa vs Vancovuer and no call. The Oilers have received many cheap shots this season with no call. I was surprised that half the team didn't get injured from the cheap shots dished out by the Canucks.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
  #35
camboy
Registered User
 
camboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
If you want an instigator after the Stortini hit then there has to be an instigator on both Smid and Greene. The non call was the correct one as it was just players sticking up for their teammates.

As I said the MAB hit was a miss. Other than that they let them play. Take both Torres brain farts out of the game and it's 2-2 and a great game.
I disagree and I think you may have missed the point of my post. IMO the game got lame after the second 5 on 3 powerplay. The physical tone was gone and the play went back to the Canucks cycle and clog style. I do not condone Raffi Torres actions, but I question if the incidents were of such a serious nature as to so severely penalize one team. I don't know about you, put I pay to watch the players decide games.

Not to mention, this was a division match up with some emotion(what the NHL wants) and the refs pretty much shut it down. What a tease.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:20 AM
  #36
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
I disagree and I think you may have missed the point of my post. IMO the game got lame after the second 5 on 3 powerplay. The physical tone was gone and the play went back to the Canucks cycle and clog style. I do not condone Raffi Torres actions, but I question if the incidents were of such a serious nature as to so severely penalize one team. I don't know about you, put I pay to watch the players decide games.

Not to mention, this was a division match up with some emotion(what the NHL wants) and the refs pretty much shut it down. What a tease.
The players did dictate the game though in a way. Torres went up and punched Cooke in the head. If that's the other way we are demanding 2min.

I don't agree with the instigator on Fitzpatrick, that's sticking up for a teammate, Greene did the exact same thing after MAB's hit, Smid sort of did the same thing after Cooke on Nedved.

Sure there was nitpicky crap also going on but there was easily tit for tat. Smytty was working the hook down low on their D and they were letting it go.

Yes the physical play died down after the 2nd 5-3 but that was more probably because MacT was blowing up on the bench and they were down on the scoreboard.

The fact that it was a "divisional game" should have zero, ziltch bearing on how it is called.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
  #37
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Hey, be happy that you didn't have victory ripped from your hands with TWO really weak 5-on-3's in the final THREE minutes of a hockey game! I watched the Oilers game while the Vernon Craptacular was going on and I thought the refereeing greatly impacted the flow of that game and turned the tide in the favor of the Canucks. I've always been a proponent of "it's not how many you get, its when you get them" when it comes to penalties, and for some reason, the Canucks always seem to find themselves on the PP when they are getting badly outplayed (which is quite often). The officials seem to think it is their job to keep game close and NOT reward teams that have rightfully worked momentum onto their side. The league really needs to fix this aspect of the game. They're turning off their long time fans and making the game unbearable to watch.

Lanny MacDonald* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
  #38
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Like I said in the GDT... if that "crosscheck" Hemsky threw was a penalty, there's no reason Mitchell shouldn't have gotten a penalty for hitting Horcoff from behind 3 times in front of the net.

And Cooke went after Nedved about 5 seconds after he dished off the puck. If you are going to call the weak **** on one team, call it on both.

Raffi deserved both penalties, but there's no way the Oilers should have been down 2 men twice (for 5 minutes), and Vancouver getting away with just 2 penalties.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:02 AM
  #39
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
The players did dictate the game though in a way. Torres went up and punched Cooke in the head. If that's the other way we are demanding 2min.
I don't think anyone is mad about the Torres penalty. It's the initial Hemsky penalty that wasn't close to being anywhere as bad as some of the other things that went on in the game.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:15 AM
  #40
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Missed call on MAB, perhaps an interference on Lupul. Other than that they let them play and Torres deserved what he got. Brainless. One of the better officiated games this year.
I honestly have no idea how you can think that. I'm not going to get into it, but the way this game was called was a major determining factor.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
  #41
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
I don't think anyone is mad about the Torres penalty. It's the initial Hemsky penalty that wasn't close to being anywhere as bad as some of the other things that went on in the game.
Yup that is how I saw it. Nedved hit Cooke, and 5 seconds after Cooke got rid of it, he pushed Nedved against the boards. Hemsky did the same thing and somehow gets a penalty out of it?

I also think the ref needed to have some common sense on the 2nd Torres penalty. He had put us down 5 on 3 already, and Torres was pissed, he should have just let him said his piece for 5-10 seconds, then warned him, and if he kept talking then give him the extra 2.

I agree with The Iconoclast with Vancouver getting the PP's when they were being outplayed.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
  #42
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
My biggest complaint was that they let Cooke go for getting in Nedved's face and then 4 minutes later, they called Hemsky for doing the exact same thing and to top it off threw another one of our players in the box.
Exactly what I was going to say. Cooke gets hit by Nedved and retaliates on him but there is no call, then he hits Hemsky, who also retaliates and we get a call against and then another call against.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
  #43
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
I don't think anyone is mad about the Torres penalty. It's the initial Hemsky penalty that wasn't close to being anywhere as bad as some of the other things that went on in the game.
The Hemsky penalty was more the fact that he skated directly to Cooke away from the play to give his crosscheck. Ref doesn't call that he looks like a fool.

Oil were their own downfall last night because of discipline. I thought we carried most of the play, Nucks finished and we didn't.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
  #44
AM
Registered User
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,891
vCash: 500
If I were playing last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
The Hemsky penalty was more the fact that he skated directly to Cooke away from the play to give his crosscheck. Ref doesn't call that he looks like a fool.

Oil were their own downfall last night because of discipline. I thought we carried most of the play, Nucks finished and we didn't.
I would have been taking slap shots at the ref the last 3 minutes of the game.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.