HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread: Trying It Again

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Here's how I see the lineup going forward.

How do you guys think the holes should be filled?

XXX-RNH-Eberle
Hall-YYY-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-ZZZ
Gaz-Hendricks-Pitlick
Jones

AAA-Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Nurse
Via trade and UFA signings.

I'll throw this out there for next year:

Sign Khudobin, Scrivens, Ott and Moulson.

Trade Yak and Petry + for Letang and Sutter.

Trade Gagner for Clifford whatever prospect the rumour is they're looking at.

Hall - RNH - Perron
Ott - Sutter - Eberle
Clifford - Gordon - Moulson
Hendricks - Arcobello - Pitlick

??? - Letang
Marincin - Schultz
Ference - Fedun

Khudobin/Scrivens.

Edit: I don't want to rush Nurse so I don't mind sending him back to juniors for another year.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Hall - RNH - Perron
Ott - Sutter - Eberle

??? - Letang
Marincin - Schultz
Ference - Fedun

Khudobin/Scrivens.

Edit: I don't want to rush Nurse so I don't mind sending him back to juniors for another year.
Letang has chronic health issues, is doing poorly this year and Moulson is not a 3rd line RW. He's a LW and definitely not 1 line down from Ott AND 2nd fiddle to Clifford.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Draekke

Quote:

Hall - RNH - Perron
Ott - Sutter - Eberle

??? - Letang
Marincin - Schultz
Ference - Fedun

Khudobin/Scrivens.

Uhh, ya... change Perron/Ott/Moulson so that Moulson is on top line, Perron is on second and Ott is on third... or move Eberle up and put Moulson on second line, but ya... he's not a 3rd liner and not below Ott for sure...

Old
02-07-2014, 01:49 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
Uhh, ya... change Perron/Ott/Moulson so that Moulson is on top line, Perron is on second and Ott is on third... or move Eberle up and put Moulson on second line, but ya... he's not a 3rd liner and not below Ott for sure...
lol to be honest, I didn't actually mean to post that lineup yet, was just playing around with different positions trying to get a balanced 4 line attack and wanted to preview it

And for some reason I thought Moulson could play right wing but I guess I was mistaken.

A mixture of forwards something along those lines would look pretty good though. 2 or 3 solid pieces up front and they might be competitive against most teams.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Spawn

Edler team worst -22 in 40 games on the Canucks. 10 worse than the next closest. Also having one of his worst years statistically.

Some team might get lucky buying low on a guy having a bad year on a team that is prime for a huge shakeup should they miss the playoffs this year.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Matt19Oilers

How would people feel about this D core for next season?

Assuming a deal based around Eberle and Edler, plus signing Stephane Robidas

Edler-Petry
Marincin-Robidas
Ference-J. Schultz

I think we'll be hard-pressed to make a Dan Girardi-esque signing in free agency. Trade Eberle for a low end #1 or high end #2 (Edler/Byfuglien/Josi), and then sign a #3/4 for the middle pairing.

Just a random thought: I can't wait for a month or so from now when we no longer have to make the J.Schultz and N. Schultz distinction.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Paralyzer008

For what supposedly is a good enough offense, anyone else notice we're still 20th in goals for?

Yet we're still trading skilled guys for goons? Not saying some guys don't have to go like Sam Gagner for example, but for Clifford? Seriously? This team still needs offense on top of what it has already.

Underrated stat though: Oilers lead the league in 4 on 4 goals, shows how much speed the top guys have, but still, we aren't even a solid offensive team sadly.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:39 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
For what supposedly is a good enough offense, anyone else notice we're still 20th in goals for?

Yet we're still trading skilled guys for goons? Not saying some guys don't have to go like Sam Gagner for example, but for Clifford? Seriously? This team still needs offense on top of what it has already.

Underrated stat though: Oilers lead the league in 4 on 4 goals, shows how much speed the top guys have, but still, we aren't even a solid offensive team sadly.
Does this say more about our players, or the system?

Old
02-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:

I don't think that this team needs more offence "on paper" than it currently has. To me, this team needs:

1) Better d-men to move the puck quickly out of the zone, instead of the old brain-dead "shoot it around the boards back to the other team's defenseman at the point."

2) Top 6 forwards that are better at retrieving and protecting the puck deep in the offensive zone. Part of the reason that we hardly get any offensive zone time against the elite teams is that after we dump the puck in, our smurf forwards get eaten alive by the other team's d-men due to being physically over matched.

What I'm saying is that down-grading our offence on paper may actually make it better if we can acquire the two things that I mentioned above. I'm not suggesting putting 10 goal 3rd line plugs in our top 6, but there are guys of the 20 goal, 40 point ilk that we should be looking to acquire for the top 6. These types of forwards may look like downgrades on paper, but the ability to retrieve and protect the puck is an absolutely crucial ability that our smurfs are lacking, despite that it isn't always noticeable on the scoresheet.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I don't think that this team needs more offence "on paper" than it currently has. To me, this team needs:

1) Better d-men to move the puck quickly out of the zone, instead of the old brain-dead "shoot it around the boards back to the other team's defenseman at the point."

2) Top 6 forwards that are better at retrieving and protecting the puck deep in the offensive zone. Part of the reason that we hardly get any offensive zone time against the elite teams is that after we dump the puck in, our smurf forwards get eaten alive by the other team's d-men due to being physically over matched.

What I'm saying is that down-grading our offence on paper may actually make it better if we can acquire the two things that I mentioned above. I'm not suggesting putting 10 goal 3rd line plugs in our top 6, but there are guys of the 20 goal, 40 point ilk that we should be looking to acquire for the top 6. These types of forwards may look like downgrades on paper, but the ability to retrieve and protect the puck is an absolutely crucial ability that our smurfs are lacking, despite that it isn't always noticeable on the scoresheet.
Why do we have to do a Kings model and dump it in with our top six?

Making plays off the rush and trying to get a shot on every zone entry seems more of a way to utilize our speed more effectively. At least with Hall and Yak, for example. Then get a decent cycle going once you've at least had a chance. Gordon and the bottom six can grind it out down low, but I feel like our chances off the rush have greatly decreased this season.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:26 AM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Why do we have to do a Kings model and dump it in with our top six?

Making plays off the rush and trying to get a shot on every zone entry seems more of a way to utilize our speed more effectively. At least with Hall and Yak, for example. Then get a decent cycle going once you've at least had a chance. Gordon and the bottom six can grind it out down low, but I feel like our chances off the rush have greatly decreased this season.
This team needs to be able to attack off the rush AND play some dump and chase. As of right now, attacking off the rush is all they are capable of, and because of that, the offensive output has been very sporadic; some nights being able to hang 5 or 6 goals on the opposition, and other nights hardly being able to enter the offensive zone.
This team will never be good if it can’t win games in a variety of ways. If the opposition gives them time and space, they can be very effective. But then when the LA’s, San Jose’s and St. Louis’ of the world body up on our forwards, we have no answer. This team NEEDS to be able to grind it out when necessary: by all means attack off the rush when they get the opportunity, but you can bet that against the elite teams in the Western Conference, there won’t be very many opportunities to do so

Old
02-07-2014, 08:10 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 482
Okay this is a question about whether the league will allow this not fans and GM's.

Hypothetically, Vanek at 50% dealt to Edmonton for Gagner and our 2015 1st. We then flip Vanek at yet another 50% to LA for Clifford, Martinez and LA's 2014 1st.

Real question is can a player have two different teams retain his salary?

Old
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Okay this is a question about whether the league will allow this not fans and GM's.

Hypothetically, Vanek at 50% dealt to Edmonton for Gagner and our 2015 1st. We then flip Vanek at yet another 50% to LA for Clifford, Martinez and LA's 2014 1st.

From Cap Geek

Quote:
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS

Teams can retain a percentage of a contract’s remaining cap hit, salary and bonuses in trades. The following stipulations apply:

◦No more than 50 per cent of the salary/cap hit can be retained
◦Salary/cap hit cannot be retained on more than three contracts in one season
◦The aggregate cap hits retained cannot exceed 15 per cent of the upper limit
A contract can be traded only twice where salary/cap hit is retained
So it looks like yes, that's "interesting"

Old
02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
From Cap Geek

So it looks like yes, that's "interesting"
Thanks. It could be a way for us to get more out of LA. Seems like they have interest in Vanek, but I really don't see a fit(cap wise) barring something like that going down.

Old
02-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:

Despite the 'confusion' of the trade, I wouldn't be trading Gagner AND the 2015 1st for that return. Perhaps Gagner and a mid-prospect but that's it.

Old
02-07-2014, 09:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Despite the 'confusion' of the trade, I wouldn't be trading Gagner AND the 2015 1st for that return. Perhaps Gagner and a mid-prospect but that's it.
Again it was hypothetically, that and I did add LA's 1st to us to make up for it.

Old
02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Halibut

Quote:

I'm going to say no based on the rules Jimmi posted from Cap Geek. I believe the league would view the 50% max restriction to apply to the total cap hit so if Buffalo is retaining 50% of the cap hit no more salary can be retained in subsequent trades. You can make two trades that retain cap hit but they can only total 50% of the players cap hit.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Pros and Cons

With all the Gagner Vanek talk to LA..... I wonder if there is a three way trade in the works....

To LA
Vanek (UFA) sign and trade
MacDonald (UFA)

To Edm
Brown

To NYI
Gagner
N. Schultz
Clifford
Matt Greene
draft pick from LA (2nd?)

I imagine the 3rd round pick for Scrivens is going to be a favour in return to LA during the next deal with the Oilers.... so.....that could play into this

Old
02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Mr Sakich

I wonder if MacT is kicking the tires on Eller? He is having a tough year but has shown that he can be an effective 2nd / 3rd liner tweener. He might be ready to take the next step to a full time 2nd line centre. He has size and is good defensively.

We would not need him to be an offensive dynamo as we have very good wingers. They are looking for a scoring winger so Hemsky with salary retained might be a good start.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:14 AM
dyzfunctioned

Personally I'd love to see us sign/trade for Kulemin and re-sign Hemsky.

Assuming Gagner is traded that gives us a top 9 of:

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-XXX-Eberle
Kulemin-Gordon-Hemsky

Old
02-07-2014, 11:20 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I wonder if MacT is kicking the tires on Eller? He is having a tough year but has shown that he can be an effective 2nd / 3rd liner tweener. He might be ready to take the next step to a full time 2nd line centre. He has size and is good defensively.

We would not need him to be an offensive dynamo as we have very good wingers. They are looking for a scoring winger so Hemsky with salary retained might be a good start.
Would love Eller. Sadly I don't think we have any excess parts they'd actually be interested in.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
tv14

Anybody know anything about Pirri? Could he be a viable option for #2C going forward?

Old
02-07-2014, 11:57 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Anybody know anything about Pirri? Could he be a viable option for #2C going forward?
Could he? Yes.

However, considering the way this board views Sam Gagner, he'd instantly become the most hated player on the team.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:23 PM
rockinghockey

Sign Niskanen he is a legit right shooting top pairing dman

Old
02-07-2014, 03:32 PM
TheNugeeToHall*
Draft Junkie

Quote:

Hall - RNH - Perron
Moulson - Sutter - Eberle
Clifford - Gordon - Ott
Moulson on the second line makes much, much more sense. With moulson on the second Ebs on the first line is tempting also.

Closed Thread