HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather Vows To Keep Kids

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2007, 11:05 AM
  #26
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN View Post
Honestly, I think I would rather us be sellers and see a lot of kids called up for the remainder of the season than barely make the playoffs and get swept in the first round. Of course you never know what can happen once you get in, but I don't see us winning it.
If we sell some veterans, bring up six kids and are able to rally ourselves into the playoffs...wow, that would change a lot of conceptions about hockey management!

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
  #27
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
"I'll tell you what, if Pittsburgh called and offered us [Sidney] Crosby tomorrow, I'd even throw in my left [testicle]".



i'd offer my right one if it helped.


Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
  #28
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
that headline sounds like the kiss of death to me...

great to hear, but they have been saying the right thing for 3 years,
Are you implying that after saying the right thing for 3 years, they've been doing the exact opposite?

Quote:
i don't care what they say to the media, what they DO is what matters. sather can earn some trust by sticking to those statements between now and the deadline but as it stands right now it wouldn't surprise me if follows up this statement by trading dubinsky and callahan by the weekend.
Again, you say they've been saying the right thing for years, but imply they haven't stuck with it (which is easily refuted) and then then make this statement which re-enforces your previous implication that you believe Rangers management has been and is hot to sell off any youth that they can.

I don't get it.

While the Rangers team this year has certainly disappointed, I can't get on management when it comes to holding on to youth. Who have the Rangers traded that really matters? Cliche is the only one that comes to mind, and that's one of those situations where he might end up as good of a NHL player as Avery, but also might never reach that level and the chance of him being better is indeterminable.

I guess I'm saying let's not flip out about trading youth when there's no real basis to it.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
  #29
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN View Post
Honestly, I think I would rather us be sellers and see a lot of kids called up for the remainder of the season than barely make the playoffs and get swept in the first round. Of course you never know what can happen once you get in, but I don't see us winning it.
Me too but who do we have to trade?

Jagr was just made captain, Straka just signed an extension, Shanny came here by choice and everyone loves him... I don't see the Rangers trading any of those guys in the next 2 weeks. And those are the guys who would get us the most in a trade.

So even if we became sellers who would we be able to sell? Nylander, maybe Roszival or Cullen. That's about it as far as vets we'd be willing to move that someone else would actually want.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
  #30
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Me too but who do we have to trade?

Jagr was just made captain, Straka just signed an extension, Shanny came here by choice and everyone loves him... I don't see the Rangers trading any of those guys in the next 2 weeks. And those are the guys who would get us the most in a trade.

So even if we became sellers who would we be able to sell? Nylander, maybe Roszival or Cullen. That's about it as far as vets we'd be willing to move that someone else would actually want.

Id keep Jagr for another year.

Shanahan I desperately want to keep, so I offer him a contract extension like..yesterday. If he signs it, he stays, if he doesnt, he gets traded.

Straka could probably fetch a REALLY high 2nd rounder or a mid to low first rounder.

Nylander im thinking first rounder, because good centers are just not available.

Weekes would probably fetch a 3rd rounder at best, or a project prospect.

Malik... maybe a 4th rounder, if were lucky.

Rozsival, 2nd rounder, or a good prospect

Ward, decent prospect, probably wouldnt nab a decent draft pick

Cullen, probably nothing, his contract isnt very good.

Hall, I think someone would be willing to take a gamble on him.

Rachunek, id actually like to keep him, i think his overall game is actually pretty damn good. the problem is hes not consistently putting it together. regardless, i think hes worth keeping for another year or 2.

etc etc

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:40 AM
  #31
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
"We are not going to move any of the kids we believe are the future of this franchise."
Therein lies the loophole.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
  #32
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post



i'd offer my right one if it helped.

Ray Shero can have my little sister if Crosby is on the table!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
  #33
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Therein lies the loophole.
or Truth.

fact of the matter is every kid we have cant make this team.

I think its pretty obvious they dont think Immonen, or Pock have a future here, which is why i wouldnt be surprised if they were moved.

the question is if they get back picks or more prospects.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
  #34
dave4
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Ray Shero can have my little sister if Crosby is on the table!
Yikes!

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:57 AM
  #35
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,279
vCash: 500
Sather should have thought about giving up his left nut during the Crosby lottery, the Rangers would have had a better shot.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
  #36
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Therein lies the loophole.
Yep.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:09 PM
  #37
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,772
vCash: 500
Somehow I just don't see Jagr, Shanny, Straka and Nylander going anywhere even if we do decide to be sellers. I think the Rangers if they don't make the playoffs are going to still try to build next years team around those four on offense--and that Slats unless someone offers him something huge is not to going to want to antagonize them. With Jagr especially if I was trading for him I'd want to talk to him first because an unmotivated or sulking Jaromir is not good on the ice or in the locker room or on your payroll. That being said defensemen usually are sought after and other than Tyutin I wouldn't have a problem with any of them being traded--would gladly in fact have Malik, Rachunek etc. off our payroll. Ward has also not played all that well in the last month or so. Weekes is going into UFA and is not playing--instead of trading Montoya I'd rather give him a shot first.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
  #38
Stoney La Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Btw I think every Ranger fan on this board would give up their left nut in a joint effort to acquire Crosby lol.

You're implying that every Ranger fan on this board has a set to begin with, lol. So I guess those of us on these boards who are of the feminine persuasion will have to offer up someone else's left nut.

For the record, though, I'd rather get Ovie.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
  #39
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
You're implying that every Ranger fan on this board has a set to begin with, lol. So I guess those of us on these boards who are of the feminine persuasion will have to offer up someone else's left nut.

For the record, though, I'd rather get Ovie.
A great center is a bigger priority for us than a great winger, imo. I'd obviously be happy with either of them, though.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:40 PM
  #40
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Because its cheating.
Oh, and what Gary Bettman has done in his "Save Pittsburgh" effort isn't?

Giving him Crosby, and the world, isn't cheating?

We all know that Bettman gave Crosby to the Penguins. If the system was done accordingly, teams that picked in the top 5 a certain number of years weren't allowed to be up there, Pittsburgh shouldn't have been there, picking in the top 5 the previous 3 years in a row. Whitney in 2002 (4th overall), Fleury in 2003 (1st overall traded by Florida from 3rd), and Malkin in 2004 (2nd overall).

Bettman did it because he's such good friends with that piece of **** Lemieux, who whined, and probably paid Bettman off to get Crosby to Pittsburgh.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:01 PM
  #41
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
fact of the matter is every kid we have cant make this team.
Furthermore, not every kid will play in the NHL, regardless of what team he ends up with.

The trick is determining the appropriate risk/reward scenario for trading players and acting on that.

Just keeping every draft pick because you don't want to "trade youth" is foolish.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
  #42
JRGNYR
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
I'm going to be of the opinion that Sather is actually starting to give a damn about his job in New York, and I have a few reasons for that:

1) The team has done nothing since he got here. The moves he made in the old system, where management above him had the "Win Now" mantra, failed miserably. Him following orders from above means nothing. When all is said and done, the failure of the Rangers since Sather came to New York will rest with him and him alone.

2) Since the '04 firesale, Sather really hasn't made any bonehead trades. You have to admit, Carter for Jagr was a masterpiece. The Avery trade isn't a bad one because Avery is 26, and while Cliche was a nice prospect, the Rangers have boatloads of similar, 3rd-liner-to-be type prospects in the system. That's the main criticism of the system, ain't it?

3) My main point here is Sather is now managing for his reputation. Despite all the success in Edmonton, I think people are now starting to look at him as being a bystander more than an architect with that dynasty. During those years, Edmonton drafted poorly. How many of their late 1st rounders in those years panned out? And a majority now say the Jessiman pick was an absolute bust. I think Sather is smart enough to see all this and realize that he'd better start getting his act together. Maybe it's vanity, but I think Sather now is trying to rebuild the Rangers in order to preserve his legacy.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:21 PM
  #43
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,073
vCash: 500
Thanks Slats.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
  #44
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
I'm going to be of the opinion that Sather is actually starting to give a damn about his job in New York, and I have a few reasons for that:

1) The team has done nothing since he got here. The moves he made in the old system, where management above him had the "Win Now" mantra, failed miserably. Him following orders from above means nothing. When all is said and done, the failure of the Rangers since Sather came to New York will rest with him and him alone.

2) Since the '04 firesale, Sather really hasn't made any bonehead trades. You have to admit, Carter for Jagr was a masterpiece. The Avery trade isn't a bad one because Avery is 26, and while Cliche was a nice prospect, the Rangers have boatloads of similar, 3rd-liner-to-be type prospects in the system. That's the main criticism of the system, ain't it?

3) My main point here is Sather is now managing for his reputation. Despite all the success in Edmonton, I think people are now starting to look at him as being a bystander more than an architect with that dynasty. During those years, Edmonton drafted poorly. How many of their late 1st rounders in those years panned out? And a majority now say the Jessiman pick was an absolute bust. I think Sather is smart enough to see all this and realize that he'd better start getting his act together. Maybe it's vanity, but I think Sather now is trying to rebuild the Rangers in order to preserve his legacy.


whatever motivation slats needs to do a competent job i'm all for it. i just hope renney won't be the head coach and, to be honest, i don't think he will be...although i don't mind him too much staying the front office again.

and yes, that's a truly disgusting quote but very funny.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
  #45
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Somehow I just don't see Jagr, Shanny, Straka and Nylander going anywhere even if we do decide to be sellers. I think the Rangers if they don't make the playoffs are going to still try to build next years team around those four on offense--and that Slats unless someone offers him something huge is not to going to want to antagonize them. With Jagr especially if I was trading for him I'd want to talk to him first because an unmotivated or sulking Jaromir is not good on the ice or in the locker room or on your payroll. That being said defensemen usually are sought after and other than Tyutin I wouldn't have a problem with any of them being traded--would gladly in fact have Malik, Rachunek etc. off our payroll. Ward has also not played all that well in the last month or so. Weekes is going into UFA and is not playing--instead of trading Montoya I'd rather give him a shot first.
i agree with the forwards. the facts are:

1. jagr won't be traded unless he's happy where he's going and all indications are he's happiest in new york so it's not likely to begin with.
2. jagr's value is probably not be as high as it could be because of his age and shoulder.
3. straka won't play anywhere else in the NHL, hence the reason he only signed a 1-year extension.
4. nylander will get an extension barring something totally dramatic.
5. shanahan, unless he doesn't want to be here, should and IMO likely will get an extension.

however, with the d-men i have a slightly different take. i'd keep tyutin obviously, but unlike some i'd also keep rachunek. since his struggles early in the season he's been alright, he's still at a good age, and i think under a coach with a more intelligent pp strategy he'll be fine.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:44 PM
  #46
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Oh, and what Gary Bettman has done in his "Save Pittsburgh" effort isn't?

Giving him Crosby, and the world, isn't cheating?

We all know that Bettman gave Crosby to the Penguins. If the system was done accordingly, teams that picked in the top 5 a certain number of years weren't allowed to be up there, Pittsburgh shouldn't have been there, picking in the top 5 the previous 3 years in a row. Whitney in 2002 (4th overall), Fleury in 2003 (1st overall traded by Florida from 3rd), and Malkin in 2004 (2nd overall).

Bettman did it because he's such good friends with that piece of **** Lemieux, who whined, and probably paid Bettman off to get Crosby to Pittsburgh.
You actually believe this nonsense?

If it was a matter of 'paying off' betteman, don't you think the rangers could have offered a bigger bribe than a franchise that was practically broke at the time?

Why would the NHL rig the draft to help one of it's least valuable franchises? It makes no sense. It was just the luck of the draw, get over it already!

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:49 PM
  #47
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
I'll echo Levitate's post and say that while a ton of kids didn't play this year, Sather has kept up his end of the bargain by not dealing youth for vets. I don't really get the idea that he has been lying to us the last 3 years, look at the transaction logs. The few kids that were moved out were either going nowhere or something we were deep in. The guys brought in were acquired for a specific need. The end of the month will mark Sather's 3rd straight year of staying the course... if he makes it to that point without mortgaging the future.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
  #48
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
That offer for Staal is pure comedy though, every now and then a gm throws a deal out there hoping Neil Smith is still calling the shots.
I remember Neil Smith. He was that fellow who brought us a Cup. Thank God the genius Sather has taken the reins. It's been one success after another since Sather arrived.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
  #49
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I think that we should trade Shanny if we really have no shot...get a few decent prospects, thens sign him again in the offseason!
Come on Sather...everyone is happy with you for the moment, don't let us down and trade Dawes, Korp, Prucha etc...

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
  #50
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I remember Neil Smith. He was that fellow who brought us a Cup. Thank God the genius Sather has taken the reins. It's been one success after another since Sather arrived.
He's also the main reason behind our 7 year drought from the playoffs. He mortgaged the future for that '94 cup and the chances of another.

And technically I didn't say anything bad or untrue about Smith. He did trade youth for vets. I also didn't say anything great or untrue about Sather. He hasn't traded youth for vets in 3 years. People ride the organization and GM for not rebuilding but when they finally do they ride the team for not winning. No wonder we never have a rebuild here, everyone wants it both ways.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.