HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
  #276
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
So what happens if we finish in 6th and win the lottery?
The pick itself is what's protected, not the lottery slot.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM
  #277
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
daaamn

@Bob_Stauffer 42s
The Oilers had significant scouting presence at Kingston-Barrie game. 10-6 Frontenacs. Sam Bennett 0-3-3, +4. Aaron Ekblad (-6) and a fight

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
  #278
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
The fact that Ekblad was -6 just goes to show how much he's on the ice for Barrie.

40oz is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 10:59 PM
  #279
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,501
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure Ekblad plays like 47 minutes a game

A -6 is a testament to his ice time

Mr Forever is online now  
Old
02-06-2014, 11:30 PM
  #280
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
After tonight's games the bottom teams are on pace to finish with the following amount of points:

BUF: 55 pts.
EDM: 64 pts.
NYI: 72 pts.
FLA: 73 pts.
CGY: 73 pts.

Even if the Oilers go .500 the rest of the way and finish at 69 points it will be tough for them to move up. Consider the following:

Oilers: .500 (10-10-3) = 69 pts.
Islanders: .391 (8-13-2) = 70 pts.
Panthers: .380 (8-14-3) = 70 pts.
Flames: .380 (8-14-3) = 70 pts.

Chances are still pretty good they'll be picking bottom 3.

Delicious Pancakes is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 11:57 PM
  #281
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm pretty sure Ekblad plays like 47 minutes a game

A -6 is a testament to his ice time
Interesting. So we draft him. Put him on the top pair. Play him about 35 mins a night. Play nurse 25 mins a night on the second pair. Play bottom pair about 5 mins a night.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
  #282
phaedrusDH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
daaamn

@Bob_Stauffer 42s
The Oilers had significant scouting presence at Kingston-Barrie game. 10-6 Frontenacs. Sam Bennett 0-3-3, +4. Aaron Ekblad (-6) and a fight
Here's the highlight video (goals included 2 EN):

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...160fb205e0ace1

key draft-eligible Kingston players:
93 - Sam Bennett
77 - Roland McKeown
96 - Spencer Watson

and of course
5 - Aaron Ekblad

phaedrusDH is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 10:06 AM
  #283
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
For the record, Stauffer has been all over Bennett and Reinhart the last few weeks.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 10:08 AM
  #284
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
That's because we're probably going to be drafting 3rd or 4th overall. We'll pass Calgary and NYI looks to be going into tank mode.

shogun99 is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
  #285
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 500
If Ekblad is available at our pick, we take him and run away screaming "YES" like a little kid getting his birthday present. He might never be a Shea Weber, but he has the potential to be a franchise dman. If developed properly, Nurse+Ekblad could become one of the most feared top pairings in the NHL.

That being said I wouldn't shed one tear if the consolation prize is Sam Reinhart. First of all, he's a right handed center who can play a two-way game, which are incredibly difficult to come by nowadays. He's also not that small at 6'1, 185 pounds, plays bigger than what his size indicates unlike Draisatl, and could realistically hit 6'2, 200 pounds in a few years. There's no Ryan Getzlaf on our team, but we'd be just fine against the Pacific division centers if we have RNH-Reinhart as a 1-2 punch. People like to rag on RNH about his complete game and strength, but he showed last season and parts of this season that he's outstanding defensively when he's not forced to cover for teammates' gaffes *ahem*Eberle*. He's also evidently stronger on the puck despite not bulking up over the offseason and has about a hit per game. Once he hits 190 pounds, the physicality and grittiness will start to show through.

Now if only we could somehow get the top 2 picks...

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
  #286
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,455
vCash: 500
Another big matchup in the O, Petes vs Frontenacs, aka Ritchie vs Bennett:

Bennett 1G, 3A, even

Ritchie 5G, 1A, +2

If we keep winning and bump ourselves out of the top 3, I'd be all over Ritchie. Say what you want about taking a winger, we don't have a PF prospect with this kind of skating and skill.

Roof Daddy is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 09:16 PM
  #287
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Another big matchup in the O, Petes vs Frontenacs, aka Ritchie vs Bennett:

Bennett 1G, 3A, even

Ritchie 5G, 1A, +2

If we keep winning and bump ourselves out of the top 3, I'd be all over Ritchie. Say what you want about taking a winger, we don't have a PF prospect with this kind of skating and skill.
I had to check the OHL site to believe Ritchie had 5 goals.

Fellow draft eligible centre Eric Cornel who is 6'2" 184 lbs also had a big game with 1G 4A. The rest of the Petes had a combined 3 assists between them. Talk about carrying the team.

Delicious Pancakes is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
  #288
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,812
vCash: 500
Ritchie and Virtanen both look interesting to me. I'm still curious to see how Draisaitl does too.

dustrock is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 09:41 PM
  #289
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I had to check the OHL site to believe Ritchie had 5 goals.

Fellow draft eligible centre Eric Cornel who is 6'2" 184 lbs also had a big game with 1G 4A. The rest of the Petes had a combined 3 assists between them. Talk about carrying the team.
I don't think Ritchie gets enough credit. The guy has a heavy wrister and some pretty good wheels. The only knock on him (from the limited viewings I've seen) is gets caught watching the play in the defensive zone a bit, and needs to move his feet more in the defensive zone. I think it was 3-4 weeks ago that Sportsnet showed Pete's vs Generals (Ritchie vs Dal Colle) as their Friday night game and Ritchie reminded me of Yakupov in how he defended the point - standing still. Any time a puck leaked out of a board battle, the D man had the jump on Ritchie to the loose puck because he was flat footed. Is it a red flag for laziness, or a byproduct of poor coaching? Because all his other qualities scream Lucic, and if we play our way out of the top 3, he'd be my 4th pick.

Roof Daddy is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
  #290
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I don't think Ritchie gets enough credit. The guy has a heavy wrister and some pretty good wheels. The only knock on him (from the limited viewings I've seen) is gets caught watching the play in the defensive zone a bit, and needs to move his feet more in the defensive zone. I think it was 3-4 weeks ago that Sportsnet showed Pete's vs Generals (Ritchie vs Dal Colle) as their Friday night game and Ritchie reminded me of Yakupov in how he defended the point - standing still. Any time a puck leaked out of a board battle, the D man had the jump on Ritchie to the loose puck because he was flat footed. Is it a red flag for laziness, or a byproduct of poor coaching? Because all his other qualities scream Lucic, and if we play our way out of the top 3, he'd be my 4th pick.
I'm okay with Ekblad, Bennett and Reinhart, but Dal Colle I'm not totally sold on. Dal Colle makes me think of Bobby Ryan. I'd be okay trading down a few spots if Dal Colle is who is left at 4.

Delicious Pancakes is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 10:55 PM
  #291
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I'm okay with Ekblad, Bennett and Reinhart, but Dal Colle I'm not totally sold on. Dal Colle makes me think of Bobby Ryan. I'd be okay trading down a few spots if Dal Colle is who is left at 4.
I don't know about that. Before Bennett pushed his way into the conversation, Dal Colle had made a name for himself as the next one after Reinhart and Ekblad. I'd want him to switch back to center since he's a natural center and PWF centers are unicorns. Regardless, if we're picking 4th and Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are off the board, I'd take Dal Colle. I don't have so much confidence in the Oilers brass to see it that way. I think they really like Draisatl.

Soli is offline  
Old
02-07-2014, 11:07 PM
  #292
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,812
vCash: 500
Dal Colle is a beanpole isn't he?

dustrock is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 12:52 PM
  #293
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,849
vCash: 50
You have to think that right now "the big 5"... Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisatl will become the "big 6" with the addition of Ritchie by the time the draft rolls around.

He's the kind of player that probably rises higher and higher as teams will gravitate to a player with that size, aggressiveness and skill in their game.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
  #294
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,849
vCash: 50
Almost everyone here will say the Oilers don't need yet another winger but we look at the lineup each season and say... gee we could REALLY use a big power forward in that top six to help balance it out with the smaller talent there... yet we look right past players like Nichushkin/Ritchie.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 01:04 PM
  #295
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
You have to think that right now "the big 5"... Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisatl will become the "big 6" with the addition of Ritchie by the time the draft rolls around.

He's the kind of player that probably rises higher and higher as teams will gravitate to a player with that size, aggressiveness and skill in their game.
He's got something like 25 points in 11 games since Hunter Garlent got traded to the Petes too.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 07:29 PM
  #296
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
You have to think that right now "the big 5"... Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisatl will become the "big 6" with the addition of Ritchie by the time the draft rolls around.

He's the kind of player that probably rises higher and higher as teams will gravitate to a player with that size, aggressiveness and skill in their game.
I would not draft Draisatl. Just not comfortable using high 1st round pick on a player from a non-hockey power country.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 07:33 PM
  #297
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I would not draft Draisatl. Just not comfortable using high 1st round pick on a player from a non-hockey power country.
he's developing in NA isn't he? his bloodlines should have no bearing whatsoever on why or where he's drafted. besides, Germans who do end up becoming NHL'ers tend to be good ones.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 09:41 PM
  #298
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I would not draft Draisatl. Just not comfortable using high 1st round pick on a player from a non-hockey power country.
Are you saying you wouldn't have drafted Anze Kopitar? He was ranked 5th on Bob MacKenzie's list.

Hynh is offline  
Old
02-08-2014, 10:29 PM
  #299
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
I'd be hesitant about taking Draisaitl because for some reason he reminds me of Neiderreiter. They both had great WJCs as 16 year olds playing for a non-traditional hockey country, and got very hyped up because of that. Also, Prince Albert has quite a bad recent history when it comes to developing players.

BarDownBobo is offline  
Old
02-09-2014, 12:02 AM
  #300
Dabomb
Registered User
 
Dabomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
yet we look right past players like Nichushkin/Ritchie.
You'd rather have Nichushkin over Nurse?

Unless Ritchie REALLY elevates his game to Reinhart and Bennett's level and consistency.. when you're picking Top3, you have to take the BPA. Plus the Oilers need a good 2nd line Centre as much as they need a tough scoring winger.


Last edited by Dabomb: 02-09-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Dabomb is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.