HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
So what happens if we finish in 6th and win the lottery?
The pick itself is what's protected, not the lottery slot.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM
OilerFan4Life

daaamn

@Bob_Stauffer 42s
The Oilers had significant scouting presence at Kingston-Barrie game. 10-6 Frontenacs. Sam Bennett 0-3-3, +4. Aaron Ekblad (-6) and a fight

Old
02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
40oz

The fact that Ekblad was -6 just goes to show how much he's on the ice for Barrie.

Old
02-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm pretty sure Ekblad plays like 47 minutes a game

A -6 is a testament to his ice time

Old
02-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Delicious Pancakes

After tonight's games the bottom teams are on pace to finish with the following amount of points:

BUF: 55 pts.
EDM: 64 pts.
NYI: 72 pts.
FLA: 73 pts.
CGY: 73 pts.

Even if the Oilers go .500 the rest of the way and finish at 69 points it will be tough for them to move up. Consider the following:

Oilers: .500 (10-10-3) = 69 pts.
Islanders: .391 (8-13-2) = 70 pts.
Panthers: .380 (8-14-3) = 70 pts.
Flames: .380 (8-14-3) = 70 pts.

Chances are still pretty good they'll be picking bottom 3.

Old
02-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm pretty sure Ekblad plays like 47 minutes a game

A -6 is a testament to his ice time
Interesting. So we draft him. Put him on the top pair. Play him about 35 mins a night. Play nurse 25 mins a night on the second pair. Play bottom pair about 5 mins a night.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
daaamn

@Bob_Stauffer 42s
The Oilers had significant scouting presence at Kingston-Barrie game. 10-6 Frontenacs. Sam Bennett 0-3-3, +4. Aaron Ekblad (-6) and a fight
Here's the highlight video (goals included 2 EN):

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...160fb205e0ace1

key draft-eligible Kingston players:
93 - Sam Bennett
77 - Roland McKeown
96 - Spencer Watson

and of course
5 - Aaron Ekblad

Old
02-07-2014, 10:06 AM
OilerFan4Life

For the record, Stauffer has been all over Bennett and Reinhart the last few weeks.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:08 AM
shogun99

That's because we're probably going to be drafting 3rd or 4th overall. We'll pass Calgary and NYI looks to be going into tank mode.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

If Ekblad is available at our pick, we take him and run away screaming "YES" like a little kid getting his birthday present. He might never be a Shea Weber, but he has the potential to be a franchise dman. If developed properly, Nurse+Ekblad could become one of the most feared top pairings in the NHL.

That being said I wouldn't shed one tear if the consolation prize is Sam Reinhart. First of all, he's a right handed center who can play a two-way game, which are incredibly difficult to come by nowadays. He's also not that small at 6'1, 185 pounds, plays bigger than what his size indicates unlike Draisatl, and could realistically hit 6'2, 200 pounds in a few years. There's no Ryan Getzlaf on our team, but we'd be just fine against the Pacific division centers if we have RNH-Reinhart as a 1-2 punch. People like to rag on RNH about his complete game and strength, but he showed last season and parts of this season that he's outstanding defensively when he's not forced to cover for teammates' gaffes *ahem*Eberle*. He's also evidently stronger on the puck despite not bulking up over the offseason and has about a hit per game. Once he hits 190 pounds, the physicality and grittiness will start to show through.

Now if only we could somehow get the top 2 picks...

Old
02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Roof Daddy

Another big matchup in the O, Petes vs Frontenacs, aka Ritchie vs Bennett:

Bennett 1G, 3A, even

Ritchie 5G, 1A, +2

If we keep winning and bump ourselves out of the top 3, I'd be all over Ritchie. Say what you want about taking a winger, we don't have a PF prospect with this kind of skating and skill.

Old
02-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Another big matchup in the O, Petes vs Frontenacs, aka Ritchie vs Bennett:

Bennett 1G, 3A, even

Ritchie 5G, 1A, +2

If we keep winning and bump ourselves out of the top 3, I'd be all over Ritchie. Say what you want about taking a winger, we don't have a PF prospect with this kind of skating and skill.
I had to check the OHL site to believe Ritchie had 5 goals.

Fellow draft eligible centre Eric Cornel who is 6'2" 184 lbs also had a big game with 1G 4A. The rest of the Petes had a combined 3 assists between them. Talk about carrying the team.

Old
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Ritchie and Virtanen both look interesting to me. I'm still curious to see how Draisaitl does too.

Old
02-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I had to check the OHL site to believe Ritchie had 5 goals.

Fellow draft eligible centre Eric Cornel who is 6'2" 184 lbs also had a big game with 1G 4A. The rest of the Petes had a combined 3 assists between them. Talk about carrying the team.
I don't think Ritchie gets enough credit. The guy has a heavy wrister and some pretty good wheels. The only knock on him (from the limited viewings I've seen) is gets caught watching the play in the defensive zone a bit, and needs to move his feet more in the defensive zone. I think it was 3-4 weeks ago that Sportsnet showed Pete's vs Generals (Ritchie vs Dal Colle) as their Friday night game and Ritchie reminded me of Yakupov in how he defended the point - standing still. Any time a puck leaked out of a board battle, the D man had the jump on Ritchie to the loose puck because he was flat footed. Is it a red flag for laziness, or a byproduct of poor coaching? Because all his other qualities scream Lucic, and if we play our way out of the top 3, he'd be my 4th pick.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I don't think Ritchie gets enough credit. The guy has a heavy wrister and some pretty good wheels. The only knock on him (from the limited viewings I've seen) is gets caught watching the play in the defensive zone a bit, and needs to move his feet more in the defensive zone. I think it was 3-4 weeks ago that Sportsnet showed Pete's vs Generals (Ritchie vs Dal Colle) as their Friday night game and Ritchie reminded me of Yakupov in how he defended the point - standing still. Any time a puck leaked out of a board battle, the D man had the jump on Ritchie to the loose puck because he was flat footed. Is it a red flag for laziness, or a byproduct of poor coaching? Because all his other qualities scream Lucic, and if we play our way out of the top 3, he'd be my 4th pick.
I'm okay with Ekblad, Bennett and Reinhart, but Dal Colle I'm not totally sold on. Dal Colle makes me think of Bobby Ryan. I'd be okay trading down a few spots if Dal Colle is who is left at 4.

Old
02-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I'm okay with Ekblad, Bennett and Reinhart, but Dal Colle I'm not totally sold on. Dal Colle makes me think of Bobby Ryan. I'd be okay trading down a few spots if Dal Colle is who is left at 4.
I don't know about that. Before Bennett pushed his way into the conversation, Dal Colle had made a name for himself as the next one after Reinhart and Ekblad. I'd want him to switch back to center since he's a natural center and PWF centers are unicorns. Regardless, if we're picking 4th and Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are off the board, I'd take Dal Colle. I don't have so much confidence in the Oilers brass to see it that way. I think they really like Draisatl.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:07 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Dal Colle is a beanpole isn't he?

Old
02-08-2014, 12:52 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
You have to think that right now "the big 5"... Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisatl will become the "big 6" with the addition of Ritchie by the time the draft rolls around.

He's the kind of player that probably rises higher and higher as teams will gravitate to a player with that size, aggressiveness and skill in their game.

Old
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Almost everyone here will say the Oilers don't need yet another winger but we look at the lineup each season and say... gee we could REALLY use a big power forward in that top six to help balance it out with the smaller talent there... yet we look right past players like Nichushkin/Ritchie.

Old
02-08-2014, 01:04 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
You have to think that right now "the big 5"... Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisatl will become the "big 6" with the addition of Ritchie by the time the draft rolls around.

He's the kind of player that probably rises higher and higher as teams will gravitate to a player with that size, aggressiveness and skill in their game.
He's got something like 25 points in 11 games since Hunter Garlent got traded to the Petes too.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

I would not draft Draisatl. Just not comfortable using high 1st round pick on a player from a non-hockey power country.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I would not draft Draisatl. Just not comfortable using high 1st round pick on a player from a non-hockey power country.
he's developing in NA isn't he? his bloodlines should have no bearing whatsoever on why or where he's drafted. besides, Germans who do end up becoming NHL'ers tend to be good ones.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Are you saying you wouldn't have drafted Anze Kopitar? He was ranked 5th on Bob MacKenzie's list.

Old
02-08-2014, 10:29 PM
BarDownBobo

I'd be hesitant about taking Draisaitl because for some reason he reminds me of Neiderreiter. They both had great WJCs as 16 year olds playing for a non-traditional hockey country, and got very hyped up because of that. Also, Prince Albert has quite a bad recent history when it comes to developing players.

Old
02-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
yet we look right past players like Nichushkin/Ritchie.
You'd rather have Nichushkin over Nurse?

Unless Ritchie REALLY elevates his game to Reinhart and Bennett's level and consistency.. when you're picking Top3, you have to take the BPA. Plus the Oilers need a good 2nd line Centre as much as they need a tough scoring winger.

Last edited by Dabomb: 02-09-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Closed Thread