HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lupul

Old
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
MotorSportsGordon

vCash: 500
Lupul

So what have you thought of his performance the last few games? He seems to be finally getting his going in the right direction.

MotorSportsGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
DousedInOil

I don't think anyone thought that he couldn't get the job done and didn't have the tools to make a good goalscorer but confidence and chemsitry. Its good to see him trying harder out there and making some open ice for himself.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorSportsGordon View Post
So what have you thought of his performance the last few games? He seems to be finally getting his going in the right direction.
He is starting to get some more shots off, and if that trend continues, the goals will soon follow.

Lupul takes a beating game in, and game out. He may not be the best guy in the corners, but I dont think he has ever been asked to do that sort of thing before this season. I think that he is going to become a more complete hockey player by playing under Mac-t on the Oilers. With that said though, we need him to turn into a goal scorer, but it dosen't hurt to learn the game at both ends of the ice. Will Lupul ever become a consistent 30 goal scorer? I have no idea. It would be nice for him to pot a few over the last couple months here though...

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I had predicted Lupul at 26 goals so I'm not in the "expected major contribution" category.

But with that I'm also not as disappointed.

This kid has had a difficult year.

This is most evidenced by his shot totals which are half what they were last year. he's gone from about 4 shots/game to 2. and no, I'm not suggesting that he simply fire more rubber but that he is not consistently putting himself in scoring position to get a shot

He's struggled to adjust to a new team, new strategy, new system. In a year when most of the team hasn't been dedicated to playing a system.

I can't imagine how confusing it would be for Lupul to figure out his assignments/role this season. The entire club has looked in disarray. This club had better be better at introducing youth in the coming years. Vets need to see themselves as such and afford shelter.

With that said Lupul has 14 goals in the midst of calamity and is on pace for 22 goals while having a really off year.

Wonder what a good year looks like?

Kids a ringer IMO.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Captain Pilsner

seems to be what lupul lacked the whole time was intensity, which many thought. but he had to get genuinely pissed off to tap into that, now as long as he keeps playing with a chip on his shoulder and raging at the world... things look promising

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 05:54 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Lupul has really stepped his play up of late. It's great to see. He is being smarter with his choices and is fighting for the puck more. As long as he keeps playing like this he will find this city an excellent place to play and live as a hometown boy.

All we ask for is work ethic and a bit of brains. If you bring those most games, we forgive a lot. Lupul is finally bringing them

Torres I can bear to part with(although it kills me) if we managed to get a Pitkanen deal with him. But Lupul, I want to keep. He's gonna be great.

However, baring that Pitkanen/JayBo type move, I'd like to keep both, and if that means being sellers then so be it. I think if we let Torres, Stoll, and Lupul all mature together, they could form a killer line for us. All 3 can stickhandle, pass, cycle and shoot, they just need to figure out how to play together.

Besides, at least if we're sellers we get some good pieces at the deadline and a nice draft pick. Carolina went to the cup final, next year they faltered and drafted Staal, and 2 years after that they won the cup.

Nothing wrong with that timeline, I can be patient.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Cerebral

I've reversed my stance on Lupul over the past few games, he has been working very hard and some signs of his natural skill level are beginning to shine through. I still don't like seeing him try to stick-handle at the blueline (he's simply not very good at dangling) but I've really liked his play of late. Heck, he finished near the top of the team in terms of hits last game.

02-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Loweball

It seems Lupul plays better away from home. I don't think he takes pressure well and unfortunately, good players step up when the pressure is on. It's not a talent thing. I think he just doesn't have the mental make up to play in Edmonton and the pressure.

Last edited by Loweball: 02-05-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
hemigod

I read that Lupul played only 11 mins Saturday against Colorado and was shocked.
He was very much an effective player and always seemed to be part of the action.

I dont know that I have ever noticed Lupul as much as I did on Saturday.

Heres Hoping that he starts finding some puck love like Horc has lately

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
I read that Lupul played only 11 mins Saturday against Colorado and was shocked.
He was very much an effective player and always seemed to be part of the action.

I dont know that I have ever noticed Lupul as much as I did on Saturday.

Heres Hoping that he starts finding some puck love like Horc has lately
Probably because we were on the PK for most of the third-Lupes doesn't kill penalties. Check out his shift chart.

Anyway, I'm really starting to like his play- he's getting mad, hitting a lot more and shooting more. He's also improving his smarts about the game, which I really like seeing.

Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm in Lupul's corner and one who pegged him for 35 goals this year.

It has been a tough year for the kid. He's found zero chemistry on this roster and has had to adapt to being a high profile guy - based upon being the key return in the Pronger deal and in playing in his hometown. Hard to say why this has been such a difficult transition although it is fair to say he is being held accountable for his play.

Like many here, I am encouraged by his play in recent games. It takes more than skill to play at this level and the work ethic has been solid lately. Good to see abit more physical play and assertiveness in battling for the puck. I'm crossing my fingers this is the turning point in Lupe's season and young career as an Oiler.

The kid is well worth the wait, imo. He has scored and produced at all level. This year has been likely his first taste of adversity and circumstance where he couldn't coast on natural ability alone. Steeled through this eye opener, I am hopeful Joff Lupul will grow into the player we all imagined when the big deal went down.

All through this crappy season, I've thought back to an amazing goal this kid scored last year. It is a rocket wrist shot from just inside the blueline that blew right by the tender. A special talent on this roster that requires some patience and as importantly, some inward reflection and maturity by the player himself.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:02 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I'm in Lupul's corner and one who pegged him for 35 goals this year.

It has been a tough year for the kid. He's found zero chemistry on this roster and has had to adapt to being a high profile guy - based upon being the key return in the Pronger deal and in playing in his hometown. Hard to say why this has been such a difficult transition although it is fair to say he is being held accountable for his play.

Like many here, I am encouraged by his play in recent games. It takes more than skill to play at this level and the work ethic has been solid lately. Good to see abit more physical play and assertiveness in battling for the puck. I'm crossing my fingers this is the turning point in Lupe's season and young career as an Oiler.

The kid is well worth the wait, imo. He has scored and produced at all level. This year has been likely his first taste of adversity and circumstance where he couldn't coast on natural ability alone. Steeled through this eye opener, I am hopeful Joff Lupul will grow into the player we all imagined when the big deal went down.

All through this crappy season, I've thought back to an amazing goal this kid scored last year. It is a rocket wrist shot from just inside the blueline that blew right by the tender. A special talent on this roster that requires some patience and as importantly, some inward reflection and maturity by the player himself.
All fine and dandy... but he's being paid an amount that needs production here and now. His years of restricted free agency are dwindling as well. I know its not a perfect world, and everything you say holds merit, but on the flipside, so does the urgency and criticism. lets hope his recent turnaround is a glimpse of whats to come.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
All fine and dandy... but he's being paid an amount that needs production here and now. His years of restricted free agency are dwindling as well. I know its not a perfect world, and everything you say holds merit, but on the flipside, so does the urgency and criticism. lets hope his recent turnaround is a glimpse of whats to come.
I'll agree. Much of the criticism is warranted. I think the biggest issue is this kid learning that he can't coast on talent. At least not in hockey cities like Edmonton. This might be a maturity issue, not sure. But you are totally fair in saying the paycheque requires better results.

I'm saying for the most part Lupul is a player that I wouldn't give up on too quickly. How good Joffrey Lupul becomes will likely be a matter of how hard he chooses to work and push himself, imo. Its about character.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Wouldn't it just be the sweetest thing it out of no were, just when no one expected it, he lit it up down the stretch. clearly he is capable of it.

Any way, he has had a rough rough year. To be honest at this point, it is tough, I kind of just throw up my hands. I dont' know if he is a tottal bust or will rebound with 40 next year. I just cna't say, kid really confuses me. sometimes he reminds me of Brad Isbister, I don't know why, jsut had a lot of promise, had some good games, but just never put anything together.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
NMK

His best game of the season was against Colorado on Saturday. Maybe he's decided to be a stud again. I definately wouldn't trade him unless the return was big, like Pitkanen.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
I wanted Lups out for most of the season... I didn't think he could adapt to playing in his hometown and thought the Oilers would benefit more by trading him for a defenceman.

The last few games have opened my eyes a bit and made me think that there could be hope for him yet in Edmonton. I'm not convinced though, he could pull a Winsbister and regress again. I hope not.

02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
RustyPatenaude

Lupul had his 4 goal playoff game in Denver last year. He plays well in Colorado.

RustyPatenaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:17 PM
PunjabiOil*

He's really playing solid hockey of late.

I remember a 3rd year Oiler in Ryan Smyth going from 61 points in the previous year to 33 in the next year.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFanAlways View Post
Probably because we were on the PK for most of the third-Lupes doesn't kill penalties. Check out his shift chart.

Anyway, I'm really starting to like his play- he's getting mad, hitting a lot more and shooting more. He's also improving his smarts about the game, which I really like seeing.
Sorry Oilfan I was not questioning why he didnt play more I was just surprised because of how visible I thought his 11 mins were.

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote