HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors Thread 2.0 Gagner To LA Rumors Heating Up!

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
This really is a silly thing to do, that being trading Gagner at this point in time. If the Oilers have to retain any salary it will be just brutal. It also simply adds another hole on the team (2nd line center) and does not fill any real hole if it is clifford plus.

We have no one even remotely close to being able to step into 2nd line C as a real solution so after this deal we'll be once again searching for a true 2nd line center while playing a 3rd or 4th liner in that spot.....or better yet we'll get another Hall at center experiment.
This is a valid concern. Could it be shipping Gagner out (plus 50% of this contract) because MacT is thinking of signing a UFA to replace him in the offseason (Paul Stastny?)

Old
02-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Spawn

Dreger's tweets relieve me a bit. Don't get shoehorned into making a deal right now because thats what you are going to get right this moment. If there is nothing you like, then hold out.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
I'd be in favor of keeping Gagner if Eberle is moved for a #1 d-man. Other than that very unlikely scenario, Samuel can go
Both will likely happen before next year in my opinion.

Old
jp7

I just don't see a 50% retention happening unless we're getting a solid, solid piece back. Way too much risk

Old
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Dreger's tweets are a breath of fresh air compared to every tweet being 'Gagner to LA at 50% salary retained for Clifford and a prospect*.

*note - LA's top 15 prospects are absolutely unavailable.

I wonder if he goes by 1pm, or if any one does.
So I guess the Gagner trade didn't go down.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
misfit

LA's 4th rounder is completely out of the question. Keith Yandle was a 4th rounder...no way in hell the Kings give up something like that.

02-07-2014, 01:48 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssource View Post
Why do people here think the Oilers HAVE to move Gagner? MacT is in the driver seat for this one for sure. Oilers are playing for pride right now. Gagners value can only go up. If he doesn't get the correct return for Gagner, no deal is done. If he doesn't move before TDL, then there's draft time. If not then I believe he'll have a rebound year next year and will be a good second line C for this team.
The majority of people here believe our top 6 is way too soft. Perron is the only one with a real edge to his game and doesn't getted knocked on his butt when engaging physically. Gagner is the least valuable of the soft forwards, so they want him moved so that the Oilers can get some toughness in their top 6 to balance things out. I think the best time to move him will be at the draft when more teams will be interested in moving real assets.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Throttlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
Dreger now saying that other teams are circle the Oilers for Gagner due to the buzz around the LA and EDMONTON talks. Take that, Lombardi.
Dreger is Captain Obvious.

Can we break it down Dreger style, LA is interested in Gagner, now all teams are showing some interest, oh and lets not forget the Leafs fans (the Leafs are showing interest), and finally, nothing is imminent.

Does he ever really break any news?

Old
02-07-2014, 01:51 PM
deep44

i am going to give mac t some props , i don't think he is like tambo who can get played like a puppet. I think this is a situation where DL basically has to meet Mac t's price , or mac t will just wait.. no need to rush for the oilers.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post

Can we break it down Dreger style, LA is interested in Gagner, now all teams are showing some interest, oh and lets not forget the Leafs fans (the Leafs are showing interest), and finally, nothing is imminent.

Quite often.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:52 PM
NugeFan

Yep, hang on until summer Craig! Makes no sense to move him for nothing now.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Oilerz

Quote:

Other teams are showing interest because they probably believed we were going to trade Gagner for Clifford and they said Whaaaat? (Like that egg mcmuffin commercial)

Old
02-07-2014, 01:55 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Both will likely happen before next year in my opinion.
I agree

Old
02-07-2014, 01:57 PM
doulos

Quote:

I used to feel this way too, until he made me look stupid by breaking a trade basically seconds after I said he didn't know what he was talking about. Now I know better

Old
02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Okay so here's why it may make sense to make the move now as oppose to the draft.

There are only 5 teams for sure that are selling off assets.

In the summer, all 30 teams may engage in selling off assets.

Gagner's price COULD be higher in the offseason. It may not be.

Gagner COULD also tear his ACL after the trade deadline making him untradeable. You have to mitigate multiple potential risks here.

You deal him now IMO

Old
02-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Throttlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Other teams are showing interest because they probably believed we were going to trade Gagner for Clifford and they said Whaaaat? (Like that egg mcmuffin commercial)
heheh

If MacT were to make that trade Gagner for Clifford straight up (plus keep salary) he should be fired on the spot.

I think all managers in the league know whats happening for real, if they phoned to enquire. I would also think every manager knows whats being talked about quite bit more than Dreger and the talking heads (obviously that goes without saying).

Old
02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
matmik*

Instant addition by substraction
Flush him
Still an hour to do the LA trade

Old
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Throttlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I used to feel this way too, until he made me look stupid by breaking a trade basically seconds after I said he didn't know what he was talking about. Now I know better
Oh for sure they have the news after the trade is done, but how often do the predictions come true?

If we see Gagner for Clifford straight up in the next hour, I will totally change my view of Dreger

Old
02-07-2014, 02:05 PM
doulos

Quote:
Oh for sure they have the news after the trade is done, but how often do the predictions come true?

If we see Gagner for Clifford straight up in the next hour, I will totally change my view
The stuff he throws out there generally has some backing to it (even if it's just a matter of two teams are talking). He's one of the more legitimate guys to follow.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Okay so here's why it may make sense to make the move now as oppose to the draft.

There are only 5 teams for sure that are selling off assets.

In the summer, all 30 teams may engage in selling off assets.

Gagner's price COULD be higher in the offseason. It may not be.

Gagner COULD also tear his ACL after the trade deadline making him untradeable. You have to mitigate multiple potential risks here.

You deal him now IMO
It goes both ways.

Here's why you don't:
Gagner's value is likely lower now than it ever has been at any point in his career. His play has started to turn around the last 30 games or so. If that continues his stock may rise again in the summer.

Salary cap. About 1/2 the teams in the league would be restricted by cap in regards to acquiring Gagner. Waiting until the summer when the cap goes up opens the market up greatly when teams have the space to make moves.

Teams are not making to look significant roster changes at this point in the year. Right now the market for Gagner is only with teams looking to improve for a playoff run. They want to make additions without making any substantial subtractions. In the summer when teams have time to evaluate their organizational needs there may be more teams looking to take on players with large contracts and move out players with large contracts.

Waiting until the summer allows you to see if you can actually get a suitable replacement. Trade him now and you are in a horrid limbo of not having any prospective #2 center anywhere in the organization and having no clue what will be out there to fill that spot.

The rumoured return sucks. 4th liners are dime a dozen players. If you can get Clifford now, you can get a Clifford (or a player like him) in the offseason. We just picked up Hendricks who everyone loves for a UFA goalie that wasn't in the plans anymore. It's not hard to acquire gritty 4th liners.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
misfit

Deal him now when you're guaranteed to get bottom of the roster players and draft picks/prospects (aka, things we don't need).

Trade him in the offseason and you get a shot at getting actual useful roster players in return. Not only that, but the farther he gets from the injury he suffered in the offseason, the better he's likely to play, and the higher his value could be. There will also be a lot of cap space being injected into NHL rosters, and not a lot of top 6 forwards hitting the free agent market (all of which will be much more than Gagner's $4.8M cap hit and to much older players). Scoring is the hardest thing to do in this league, and a lot of teams would have interest in adding a 24 year old 50 point player.

Not trading him because of some hypothetical injury he may, or may not, get seems a tad ridiculous to me. The benefit of waiting until the offseason is far greater than the risk he seriously hurts himself in the next 2 months. I thought they should've waited until the offseason with Smid too.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Throttlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
The stuff he throws out there generally has some backing to it (even if it's just a matter of two teams are talking). He's one of the more legitimate guys to follow.
I choose McKenzie.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
DousedInOil

Still no moves in the entire NHL. I wasn't expecting a whole lot of action but thought we would at least see 2-3 trades today.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Seachd

Quote:

If we see Gagner for Clifford straight up in the next hour, I will totally change my view of Dreger
Dreger didn't say that though.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmik View Post
Instant addition by substraction
Flush him
Still an hour to do the LA trade
Oh thoughtful and un-jaded as ever.