HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stortini/Cooke

Old
02-06-2007, 02:00 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Cooke is definitely a dirty player, there are numerous incidences for that. While sometimes pests cross that line (again, numerous incidences of guys like that) the majority of those players sometimes face the music. While pests would be useless if they fought every time, I think someone like Cooke hitting a star player and then scurrying away sets it up for his team to be targetted. If he was on my team I'd hope he would face the music at least once in a while.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:00 AM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
I just think guttless is different than dirty. Marchment was dirty. Cooke is gutless (if we take gutless to mean someone who won't fight)
I dunno.. I still remember the Calgary / Vancouver game where Ruutu stuck his elbow out.. pretty much missed Marchment but Marchment falls to the ice and lays there motionless until the 5 and a game is announced and snaps up to his feet and skates to the bench and keep playing. Of course that was Ruutu getting a taste of his own medicine.. god I miss Ruutu vs. Forsberg

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:06 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
MAB woulda shot it outta the rink .. kidding..

I don't see the point to you posting this and calling us Sucks fans.. but to each their own I guess.. can't deny we don't have similar posts on the Canucks boards.
Lol I posted to try and get a gif working.. I have taken it down now that i saw that it worked. Didnt want to start a new thread for that. I marked it OT

The Oilers get called Coilers
The Flames get called Shames
The 'Nucks are the Sucks

Big whoop

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:21 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
I just think guttless is different than dirty. Marchment was dirty. Cooke is gutless (if we take gutless to mean someone who won't fight)
You make a good point Quat. I think people are confusing dirty with gutless. I think most casual observers would agree that Cooke plays a style that while within the rules, could be characterized as "gutless".

Visor, refusal to fight, turtling, etc.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:29 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
You make a good point Quat. I think people are confusing dirty with gutless. I think most casual observers would agree that Cooke plays a style that while within the rules, could be characterized as "gutless".

Visor, refusal to fight, turtling, etc.
Although late hits (Staios) Hits from behind after the whistle (Hueselius) Trying to "fight" (I use that word lightly) guys on the bench could be characterized as "dirty"

Old
02-06-2007, 02:44 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Cooke is definitely a dirty player, there are numerous incidences for that. While sometimes pests cross that line (again, numerous incidences of guys like that) the majority of those players sometimes face the music. While pests would be useless if they fought every time, I think someone like Cooke hitting a star player and then scurrying away sets it up for his team to be targetted. If he was on my team I'd hope he would face the music at least once in a while.
Well, again I don't recall the numerous incidents you allude to. He does piss players off, but that's because he always finishes his check... and being on the receiving end of hits all night will piss off anyone, particularily if they are star players.

I am willing to agree to disagree on this, but Cooke is no Tucker. He's much more like Peca (though not nearly as good a player or a hitter). And though Peca has thrown some "dirty" hits, I wouldn't say it defines him as a player.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:51 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
I dunno.. I still remember the Calgary / Vancouver game where Ruutu stuck his elbow out.. pretty much missed Marchment but Marchment falls to the ice and lays there motionless until the 5 and a game is announced and snaps up to his feet and skates to the bench and keep playing. Of course that was Ruutu getting a taste of his own medicine.. god I miss Ruutu vs. Forsberg
heh... I shouldn't have described Marchment only as dirty then... certainly he crossed many boundries in his carreer.

Ruutu's an odd player, in that I always thought he had a better skillset than he brought to the ice. He seems to have actually prefered the chatter and the harasment over passing and scoring...

He always made me laugh, but I'm sure he was/is annoying to play against.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:58 AM
T-Funk

this thread is getting a little tense, lets have a giggle at mr sean avery for a minute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B53W-7tk4Uw

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:03 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
this thread is getting a little tense, lets have a giggle at mr sean avery for a minute

LMAO thats too funny.

Heres the guy who told Crosby he shouldnt fall down when he takes a high stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPppB7p1kg

Old
02-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Bank Shot

Cooke is dirty and gutless and only a homer could deny it. I like big hits as much as anybody, but the only time I ever see Cooke label someone is when the other player is in a very dangerous or vulnerable position. I don't know how someone could fail to notice all the borderline hits he throws.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Tatehamma

Send a message via MSN to Tatehamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Cooke is dirty and gutless and only a homer could deny it. I like big hits as much as anybody, but the only time I ever see Cooke label someone is when the other player is in a very dangerous or vulnerable position. I don't know how someone could fail to notice all the borderline hits he throws.
Coming from a Canucks fan who watches every game, thats not true at the slightest. He comes out to play against Edmonton, and he knows how hated he is, and he loves every minute of it. He does his job....gets under your skin, draws a penalty, and we score.

Tatehamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckNut79 View Post
Coming from a Canucks fan who watches every game, thats not true at the slightest. He comes out to play against Edmonton, and he knows how hated he is, and he loves every minute of it. He does his job....gets under your skin, draws a penalty, and we score.
So, you're saying he's only dirty and gutless against Edmonton?

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
All I gotta say is karma is a biatch and Cooke has a lot of negative karma against him. He will get his one day, and the sooner the better.

I think the thing that people hate the most about Cooke is that he runs around and then hides. At least Ruutu or avery as much as I hate them will fight.

Stortini should just go up to Cooke in the warmup and say "for every hit you put on one of our star players, I'm gonna hit one of yours harder". Honestly I just wish Storts would get him in a corner and rag doll him.

I have never hated a player to the extent that I hate Matt Cooke. I don't generally wish injury on anyone, but he is the exception.

02-06-2007, 08:01 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
All I gotta say is karma is a biatch and Cooke has a lot of negative karma against him. He will get his one day, and the sooner the better.

I think the thing that people hate the most about Cooke is that he runs around and then hides. At least Ruutu or avery as much as I hate them will fight.

Stortini should just go up to Cooke in the warmup and say "for every hit you put on one of our star players, I'm gonna hit one of yours harder". Honestly I just wish Storts would get him in a corner and rag doll him.

I have never hated a player to the extent that I hate Matt Cooke. I don't generally wish injury on anyone, but he is the exception.
I also feel the same way about brashear

Old
02-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

u guys B*t*h and complain like babies.......cooke draws penalties and pisses off the other team..he tries to get the other team off their game
PLUS he usually is able to add a bit of offense (not this year tho )

but still

if an opposing player did that to my favorite team i would pissed..but i'd realize his usefullness

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post

I Lol'd and giggled...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
So, you're saying he's only dirty and gutless against Edmonton?
That's about right.

Cooke is playing a really effective game and we wish that he could play like this every day. There haven't been too many borderline hits by any Canuck players this year. The only one that pops into my head is that Mitchell hit earlier in the year against Detroit.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:29 PM
hemigod

Oiler fans what Cooke does as an extremly important and effective part of the Canuck game. He is extremly good at agitating , as we learned last night.
Pretty much changed the game IMO.

Canuck fan, if he was not gutless then in any game where the score is a little out of hand, like last night for instance, then stand up for yourself be a man and take on a fellow mid weight.

Cooke should and will not fight in a game that is in doubt, because the frustration level of the opposing team would be significantily lower, but as I said in mop up time he should stand up and dance. Their is a CODE that is in the NHL.

If you want to play like a tough guy then be prepared to always play like a tough guy.

Sorry for the rant.

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
PuckNut

I just hate players like Cooke. I always have. The "agitators" as they are called wouldn't be as effective or even exist if it wasn't for that stupid instigator rule.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:56 PM
oilerfanatic

well gotta hand it to sucks fans for backing their guy...i wonder if sentiment would shift if it were the other way around...i used to think that phaneuf was similar, hide behind his visor and turn down fights, but even he's fighting lately...when you play with an edge you gotta back it up...somebody should just steamroll the guy when the refs aren't looking...whether legal or not...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:05 PM
mvprimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98 View Post
That's about right.

Cooke is playing a really effective game and we wish that he could play like this every day. There haven't been too many borderline hits by any Canuck players this year. The only one that pops into my head is that Mitchell hit earlier in the year against Detroit.
The hit on stoll wasn't dirty was it

you just lost total credibility.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote