HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Streit

Old
02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
He's been pretty much what I expected. He has a role, too. He just needs sheltered minutes at ES. If put in that position I think he's a useful player.
Yeah, same here.

Last night leads me to believe the team has been in the wrong by not having him QB the top unit all year. He's defensively average and racking up points. As far as I'm concerned that's basically what we should've expected.

I have zero faith in a Streit-Mez pairing not becoming a gong show in their own end though.

02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, same here.

Last night leads me to believe the team has been in the wrong by not having him QB the top unit all year. He's defensively average and racking up points. As far as I'm concerned that's basically what we should've expected.

I have zero faith in a Streit-Mez pairing not becoming a gong show in their own end though.
Yeah, Streit & Mez are kinda the same player, with similar strengths and weaknesses. Having them together doesn't double the good they do, but pretty much does double the havoc they can wreak in their own zone. One key difference between them is that Streit is trying out there, sometimes he's just getting overpowered or making bad decisions, meanwhile Mez just inexplicably stops skating or just stands around in his own end. I think Streit has a role here moving forward and I'd move Mez for pretty much the best draft pick I can get out of him.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Broad st phantom

He has been great with the number one pp unit, hopefully they keep them there. When ever he's on that unit he usually has a positive effect on it.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 09:30 PM
tymed

I've been thinking for quite a while that he should be in Jake's spot on the top-pp, with Jake sliding down low. Hes got the most (only) dangerous point-shot on the team. With Kimmo out of the picture soon, it's Streit's spot to take but for now I just don't expect anything to change while it's been working. Would be nice to see him get some more time up there.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

He played well tonight I thought. Also has 29 points so far this season. He is doing exactly what we want in moving the puck and creating offense. Lately he has been better defensively also. Still gets paid to much but honestly who doesnt anymore. Got to give credit where credit is due.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Been playing much better of late.

Had a real nice play tonight where he got the puck in the defensive zone, skated a bit, made a sweet move to evade two forecheckers and skated up the ice. Then made a nice pass around the red line to Schenn who dished a saucer pass to Vinny which was almost finished.

Would have been a beautiful goal all around.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:10 AM
onlylordsvsmorebp
grossmansmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Been playing much better of late.

Had a real nice play tonight where he got the puck in the defensive zone, skated a bit, made a sweet move to evade two forecheckers and skated up the ice. Then made a nice pass around the red line to Schenn who dished a saucer pass to Vinny which was almost finished.

Would have been a beautiful goal all around.
yeah our whole defense is playing a lot better in our own end lately and like you said making some slick smart plays back there.huge improvement.
big improvement in streits play on the pp and overall.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:33 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Now hes GOD when your on your the man when your not trade his ass or bad signing..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 230
When we first signed him I hated the deal, after watching him play I hated him even more. but he is starting to grow on me, i guess our overall improved play has helped, and 8 goals and 21 assists is good.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Now hes GOD when your on your the man when your not trade his ass or bad signing..

His turnovers are awful. He is good offensively but i dont see his defensive skill.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:30 AM
BillDineen

Streit is playing as expected. Grossmann's play this year has not been great and he has zero ability to cover for any of Streit's errors.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
His turnovers are awful. He is good offensively but i dont see his defensive skill.
But that isn't what he was brought in here for. He's getting paid to put points on the board and QB the PP. He's doing a fine job at that.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
BillDineen

I think Streit should be on the first PP unit.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:19 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I didn't agree before the season, but now I agree.

Unfortunately Kimmo has fallen off a good bit. Having Streit on the first unit opens things up a bit because he has a bigger shot. Between Kimmo and Voracek there isn't really the threat of a shot, so the PK can focus in on Giroux even more.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

Unfortunately Kimmo has fallen off a good bit. Having Streit on the first unit opens things up a bit because he has a bigger shot. Between Kimmo and Voracek there isn't really the threat of a shot, so the PK can focus in on Giroux even more.
Yes..this is why Pronger was so important and why Weber would have helped big time

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:40 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

Yeah, Colorado was just daring Voracek to make the play on the powerplay last night. One forward was almost always cheating to Giroux's side, even when the puck was on the other side of the ice.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:40 AM
StoneHands

I love his shot. He always keeps it low and takes away sight lines from the goalie while allowing his own guys to deflect it.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I agree, but I've been saying that since we signed him.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:08 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
He has 23 giveaways this season. Same as Timonen. The two of them are in a mass tie for somewhere around 220th most giveaways in the league. Good thing Erik Karlsson doesn't play for the Flyers, he leads the league with 79. Coburn and Grossman both have more giveaways than Streit.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
He has 23 giveaways this season. Same as Timonen. The two of them are in a mass tie for somewhere around 220th most giveaways in the league. Good thing Erik Karlsson doesn't play for the Flyers, he leads the league with 79. Coburn and Grossman both have more giveaways than Streit.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats
He could've meant the scenarios he turns it over but I disagree anyway. People love to rag on our guys without fact

02-07-2014, 10:30 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
He could've meant the scenarios he turns it over but I disagree anyway. People love to rag on our guys without fact
Possibly but still... players like Streit (PMDs) get paid to have the puck on their stick. They are the guys forecheckers are going after. The fact that Streit has so few turnovers compared to a guy like Karlsson (who most of us don't watch every night and therefore we don't know in what situations he gives the puck up) not to mention the fact that he has fewer turnovers than Grossman, who most definitely is NOT paid to have the puck on his stick, tells me he's doing his job pretty well.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
But that isn't what he was brought in here for. He's getting paid to put points on the board and QB the PP. He's doing a fine job at that.
Indeed, though it is a bit annoying that practically the while D are one dimensional

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 01:05 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Yes..this is why Pronger was so important and why Weber would have helped big time
I would have liked to have seen it too, but I'm not sure Weber and Giroux would be the best combo. Giroux's office is the left half wall. Even if you were to put Weber at the top of the umbrella, it would take away the threat of the one timer feed from G since he would have to pivot.

I guess hypothetically, you could have put Giroux at the top of the umbrella and Weber on the left side, but I'm not sure that would have been ideal.

When in Rome though...

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
I've been thinking for quite a while that he should be in Jake's spot on the top-pp, with Jake sliding down low. Hes got the most (only) dangerous point-shot on the team. With Kimmo out of the picture soon, it's Streit's spot to take but for now I just don't expect anything to change while it's been working. Would be nice to see him get some more time up there.
that's gotta be a spot for a forward. if the flyers still had JVR he'd be the best option at that spot. the "three-men-high" requires the two guys on either side to play the top of the circle down to the goal line along the boards. streit does better camped in the middle like kimmo where he can really unload it. not sure how good he'd be on his weak side.

vinny and jake do a pretty decent job from that spot.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
that's gotta be a spot for a forward. if the flyers still had JVR he'd be the best option at that spot. the "three-men-high" requires the two guys on either side to play the top of the circle down to the goal line along the boards. streit does better camped in the middle like kimmo where he can really unload it. not sure how good he'd be on his weak side.

vinny and jake do a pretty decent job from that spot.
They do... though I am surprised Read does not get more of a look on either PP, though it is probably as he is a righty. One of the best shots on the team... fast and great on D so unlikely to get SH against with him.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote