HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2014, 02:34 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
MacT instills more confidence in his ability every time he deals with someone, i think we may be ok in the future. he isnt stupid and he doesnt panic. all hope could still be tossed soon enough but i would say in his first 8 months on the job mact hasnt got hacked yet/
**sarcasm warning**

What? I thought Kevin Lowe was the GM????

MacTavish is an incredibly bright guy. Perfect GM to move this organization to the next level(s).

Old
02-07-2014, 02:34 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
If we want to find out who is coming back from L. A. for Gagner we just have to find out which Kings players used to play for the Leafs or Marlies.
Matt Frattin

Old
02-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Sam Gagner is going to get hurt in the game tonight and he'll end up being out for the rest of the season.

So,now we're looking more so at the draft at moving him.
Honestly, we can only really hope.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
jp7

vCash: 50
I'm happy that MacT delayed moving Gagner, there wasn't any rush and a deadline return will be better. Hopefully he doesn't get injured.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:46 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
**sarcasm warning**

What? I thought Kevin Lowe was the GM????

MacTavish is an incredibly bright guy. Perfect GM to move this organization to the next level(s).
Anyone who thinks Lowe is the GM is foolish.

MacT is the GM but with that being said Kevin Lowe still has his hands on every deal the Oilers make, he even said so himself on a radio interview with Jason Gregor.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:49 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

MacT is the GM but with that being said Kevin Lowe still has his hands on every deal the Oilers make, he even said so himself on a radio interview with Jason Gregor.
Which conflicts with what Katz is saying haha

This management is so ****ed nobody knows who's doing what...except for Lowe himself

Old
02-07-2014, 02:51 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Prokhorkin is #4 in scoring among players under 24 in the KHL and is 20th overall in scoring... not bad for a 20 year old.

Old
02-07-2014, 02:54 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:

Why would a guy who has no input in day to day operations of the team be on as many scouting trips with Mactavish as Lowe has been on this year?

Old
02-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Throttlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Why would a guy who has no input in day to day operations of the team be on as many scouting trips with Mactavish as Lowe has been on this year?
Well, lets pretend for a moment that Lowe has no say or nothing to do with day to day operations. The next question is, why is he needed exactly and what does he do?

Old
02-07-2014, 02:59 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
It gets lonely at the top.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
It's been well documented Lowe gives his opinion on deals, whether the GM makes them or not is up to the GM unless it involves a major piece like Hall for example.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:

Yeah, but I liken that to when I used to let my 5 year old son happily plunk away on one of my old discarded keyboards when I was on the computer and didn't want him bugging me.

Actual input into my environment? Zero. But damn if he didn't have fun thinking he was making stuff happen on my screen. We were a team!

Old
02-07-2014, 03:05 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
Well, lets pretend for a moment that Lowe has no say or nothing to do with day to day operations. The next question is, why is he needed exactly and what does he do?
Well a president of "anything" usually has a lot of underlings that do most of the work behind the scenes and they are simply the figurehead putting their stamp of approval on the laws/trades/deals that go through.

How it "should" work is the President oversees that those directly below him are actually doing their jobs properly... if MacT suddenly were to trade Hall, RNH and Eberle away for a 6th in the 2020 draft it would be nice to have someone on duty to assess whether that deal makes any logical sense before it's allowed to go through.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

So thousands of posts and 3 threads later nothing at all happened. lol

Old
02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Getting back to the trades and rumours though... how did MacT miss out on the Camper/Parlett sweepstakes today? Again standing in the forest and not seeing the trees.

#rookieGM

Old
02-07-2014, 03:13 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

....nhl freeze is on till the 24 as of 13 minutes ago

Old
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Mr Sakich

I wonder if Lombardi is going to wear out his welcome with other GM? When MacT does a trade, it is pretty much out of the blue. Even Staufer has little forewarning.

Whenever we deal with LA, every detail is played out on the front page. Their bloggers seem to know more about the deal than MacT does.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:23 PM
oilersfan11

There's times in games where he can't even make/accept simple passes.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I wonder if Lombardi is going to wear out his welcome with other GM? When MacT does a trade, it is pretty much out of the blue. Even Staufer has little forewarning.

Whenever we deal with LA, every detail is played out on the front page. Their bloggers seem to know more about the deal than MacT does.
LOL.

MacT told everyone what he was going to do when 1st hired and half this board fell allover themselves to lap it up and think it was a good thing. Now he is being credited for being a shrewd tight lipped gm?

Old
02-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Soundwave

Lowe brought Pronger, Visnovsky, Souray, Roloson, Gilbert, Hedja, Peca, Pitkanen, Glencross, Samsonov, Penner, to the Oilers between 2005-2008.

He wasn't that bad as a GM. He was stupid to let Glencross and Hejda walk.

I'm on the fence with Mac T, lets see how he does.

The Eakins hire and opting to go with Dubnyk/Labarbera were disastrous moves on Mac T's part. Rookie GM mistakes. Signing Gagner in the summer and not moving him when his value was at its highest is another mistake. He also apparently offered David Clarkson a dump truck full of cash, thank goodness we got bailed out of it.

The MPS for Perron swap was a very good one. The Hendricks deal was solid. Gordon was a decent signing.

Scrivens has been good though I suspect that was more on Mac T trying to bring in players familiar with Eakins (Scrivens, Fraser, etc.).

Old
02-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
LOL.

MacT told everyone what he was going to do when 1st hired and half this board fell allover themselves to lap it up and think it was a good thing. Now he is being credited for being a shrewd tight lipped gm?

what moves were foretold?

when has dealings with another organization's player been public?

Old
02-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Soundwave

Also regarding Gagner, I don't believe for a second a deal was imminent. Why would the Oilers let Gagner play last night if they had worked out a trade for him?

So he could possibly get reinjured thus scuttling the trade?

Not a chance.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
LOL.

He told everyone what he was going to do? Like, specifically? Or was it more that he showed he understood the team's weaknesses and was going to make an effort to fix them even if it meant parting with important pieces, unlike his predecessor.

Old
02-07-2014, 03:31 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Which conflicts with what Katz is saying haha

This management is so ****ed nobody knows who's doing what...except for Lowe himself:laugh:

Old
02-07-2014, 03:40 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
maybe because they are buds and Mactavish is showing him what to actually look for in a player. wants to help his krusty old friend learn a thing or 2

Closed Thread