HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Zach Stortini recalled...

Old
11-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
Poppycock! Stortini was very effective during training camp. He was playing a crash and bang game and mowing over everyone in his path. His skating is a bit lacking, but his game is tailor made for the 4th line forward role.
Fact:

You can't hit a moving object 10 times faster and more agile than you without taking a penalty.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOilersGo View Post
Again, I question why Jacques wasn't the player in mind over Stortini...
That's easy... because Jacques did #% all in the games he played. No big hits, not one glimmer of offense. They gave him a chance to show what he could do, and for some reason he showed us nothing. And that's a shame, because I had hoped that with Moreau gone, he might have been able to fill that role.
Stortini is here because right now the team is very much lacking in the physical department. We got pushed around by the friggin' Red Wings, for the love of god. A similar display tonight could become embarrassing against a team like Calgary.
Yes, Stortini is a poor skater, but to write him off as a goon is exaggerating by a large degree. Stortini has strong leadership qualities, which made him a captain of his OHL team at age 16, I believe. He also has a small bit of offensive ability in him, hence his 6 goals thus far. Stortini will get a chance to provide some muscle and toughness on the team. Something Jacques failed to do. At the very least, his being called up will be a good reward for a good start in the minors.
To say the Oilers brought Stortini up solely because of money is rubbish. Like I said before, the team is lacking in its physical, aggressive play right now. Who else in the minors do we have that could provide that? As for our first rounders, Pouliot has been playing well and is clearly next in line for a call-up. Schremp is getting points, but has not been playing near well enough to be promoted.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
canadave

For all those who defend Zach's callup on the basis that he's a great fighter and gives us much-needed protection/toughness against Calgary...the question in my mind is, then why did we decline to pursue BG in the off-season?

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
For all those who defend Zach's callup on the basis that he's a great fighter and gives us much-needed protection/toughness against Calgary...the question in my mind is, then why did we decline to pursue BG in the off-season?
Because BG wasn't even doing that.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Because BG wasn't even doing that.
BG was on most nights insurance just in case liberties were taken. Even though he didn't drop the gloves every single time a hit was made on our guys, it doesn't mean his presence alone wasn't good enough. As much as everyone here hates to admit it, he was much more effective than given credit for. I believe IMO that he would have been our spark plug on many nights for us this season if he had stayed. However we were looking to increased offence and forchecking than cycling/dumping.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Nonook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life View Post
BG was on most nights insurance just in case liberties were taken. Even though he didn't drop the gloves every single time a hit was made on our guys, it doesn't mean his presence alone wasn't good enough. As much as everyone here hates to admit it, he was much more effective than given credit for. I believe IMO that he would have been our spark plug on many nights for us this season if he had stayed. However we were looking to increased offence and forchecking than cycling/dumping.
To Say BG was insurance is like saying my new fire extinguisher is insurance against a fire. Oh yea and just like BG, this fire extinguisher only goes off when the fire comes to it and volunteers to be put out! The fire extinguisher has never gone off against a fire that didn't request it...just like BG. In addition, he wanted a no trade clause. That's the deal breaker.

Nonook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:28 PM
LP

Stortini sent back down according to the Oiler's pipeline:

Quote:
ZACK STORTINI ASSIGNED TO HAMILTON

The Edmonton Oilers have assigned forward Zack Stortini to the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.
Why the call up?

LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:50 PM
calvin

...bump...

Thought that this thread was full of interesting comments about Zack

calvin is offline   Reply With Quote