HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Players holding the stick to their bodies when slightly hooked

Old
02-08-2014, 07:36 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Players holding the stick to their bodies when slightly hooked

A lot of players, when they feel a stick around their bodies will squeeze the stick so that the guy on the other team can't let it go and the ref sees it and calls it. Not singling anyone out, the Rangers do it too. Why is it that diving gets the indignation of fans as a disgrace, but this form of cheating is not considered taboo, or at least not on the same level as diving? Seems like both are forms of cheating. Is it because of soccer diving, which gives people the opportunity to say "I don't want to watch a soccer match on ice"? I honestly can't think of a real reason.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

It's all embellishment.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Hambone15

I remember seeing it happen vs the leafs a couple weeks ago and leafs wound up in the box. That **** drives me insane. I can't remember who or what team it was

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Aleks

Anyone who's played hockey knows it's the oldest trick in the book to draw a penalty. It happens at pretty much any level where there's a referee.

If you get caught, the ref will ALWAYS tell you your stick shouldn't have been there in the first place! No big deal really.

Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this point, but I'll put it out there as it's the most obvious answer: There's no stick to hold under your arm, if a stick isn't there in the first place...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:58 AM
TheGoalJudge

Don't put your damn stick there then.

Die Dead Puck Era. Die.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:00 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this point, but I'll put it out there as it's the most obvious answer: There's no stick to hold under your arm, if a stick isn't there in the first place...
But dives often come on legit hooks too, yet you get irate hockey fans over that but this for some reason is not taboo. And the post above yours just confirmed that. This is a "trick", diving is a disgrace to all of humanity. Why?

Old
02-08-2014, 08:01 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Don't put your damn stick there then.

Die Dead Puck Era. Die.
But that somehow doesn't work when a guy is hooked and dives. Then it's a federal case.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
But dives often come on legit hooks too, yet you get irate hockey fans over that but this for some reason is not taboo. And the post above yours just confirmed that. This is a "trick", diving is a disgrace to all of humanity. Why?
As often as dives come on legit hooks, even more of these "stick hugs" occur on legit hooks, then right? I'm not saying it's glamorous, but taking a dive is taking a dive...it's not the power play that you gain from it, it's the action itself...taking a dive has, deservedly so I think, a much more negative connotation...but it's not about the result, it's about the action...one action is "worse" than the other, that's the crux of it...

Old
02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
As often as dives come on legit hooks, even more of these "stick hugs" occur on legit hooks, then right? I'm not saying it's glamorous, but taking a dive is taking a dive...it's not the power play that you gain from it, it's the action itself...taking a dive has, deservedly so I think, a much more negative connotation...but it's not about the result, it's about the action...one action is "worse" than the other, that's the crux of it...
I'm not sure I follow you. Why is the action of taking a dive worse than the action of hugging the stick? Is it because one is more flamboyant than the other?

Old
02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Hambone15

Oh nevermind I was thinking of players literally gripping a guys stick and holding it up to their bodies to get try and get a penalty.

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

When a player dives, he's essentially given up on the play - he's more concerned with drawing a not-necessarily-deserved penalty than anything else. With a stick hug (I'm totally stealing that term, by the way), it's possible to attempt to draw the penalty while maintaining the progression of the offensive rush. To me, that's why sick-hugging isn't as bad as diving.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:18 AM
HockeyMomx2

Quote:
A lot of players, when they feel a stick around their bodies will squeeze the stick so that the guy on the other team can't let it go and the ref sees it and calls it. Not singling anyone out, the Rangers do it too. Why is it that diving gets the indignation of fans as a disgrace, but this form of cheating is not considered taboo, or at least not on the same level as diving? Seems like both are forms of cheating. Is it because of soccer diving, which gives people the opportunity to say "I don't want to watch a soccer match on ice"? I honestly can't think of a real reason.
Like how Sedin did the other night with Bergys stick? Was hilarious watching him skate with Bergys stick under his arm, looking at the ref for the call and 5 feet away bergy is seen in background of camera shot skating away.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow you. Why is the action of taking a dive worse than the action of hugging the stick? Is it because one is more flamboyant than the other?
I mean, if you don't feel that way right off the hop then you don't feel that way...which I guess is what prompted this exploratory thread...but I can't imagine many people think a dive and the stick hug are on the same level...it's one of those "just because" things...it's in the "severity" of the action...

Why is it 2 minutes for boarding and sometimes 5 minutes for boarding? Because one is worse than the other...that's all I can really say about it, perhaps someone more eloquent than I could do it more justice...but you're dealing in the abstract here, I just don't think you're going to find a ton of traction...

Old
02-08-2014, 08:37 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I mean, if you don't feel that way right off the hop then you don't feel that way...which I guess is what prompted this exploratory thread...but I can't imagine many people think a dive and the stick hug are on the same level...it's one of those "just because" things...it's in the "severity" of the action...

Why is it 2 minutes for boarding and sometimes 5 minutes for boarding? Because one is worse than the other...that's all I can really say about it, perhaps someone more eloquent than I could do it more justice...but you're dealing in the abstract here, I just don't think you're going to find a ton of traction...
Well boardings differ based on the danger of the hit. Neither a dive nor a stick hug is dangerous. One is just more flamboyant and just accepted as worse than the other. If you eliminate any preconceived notions then a dive where a guy got lightly hooked and a stick hug where a guy got lightly hooked are the same thing. I guess one is more subtle and thus doesn't "look" as bad, but they're both a way of cheating. A dive where a guy wasn't touched, or was touched but not enough to elicit a penalty on its own, is of course worse.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:50 AM
skillhockey

It's just players trying to adjust to bad reffing, they should call every hook not by rolling a dice if they wanna call it or not.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:39 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
It's just players trying to adjust to bad reffing, they should call every hook not by rolling a dice if they wanna call it or not.
Why doesn't that hold for diving though? Players just trying to adjust to bad reffing.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Neal got called for this yesterday and was given 2 for embellishment. It was correct to penalise him but he should've been penalised for holding the stick, not embellishment.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:47 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Neal got called for this yesterday and was given 2 for embellishment. It was correct to penalise him but he should've been penalised for holding the stick, not embellishment.
I think it was Jokinen who did it and didn't get called. I think Brassard got away with it too. If anything it's worse as it's a lot harder to see than some of these flamboyant dives.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
I think it was Jokinen who did it and didn't get called. I think Brassard got away with it too. If anything it's worse as it's a lot harder to see than some of these flamboyant dives.
It annoyed me as well because he got called for that and it was labelled as "embellishment" yet Carcillo had a hit later (Might've been earlier) where he snapped his head back and didn't have any contact there yet wasn't called.

The refereeing last night was baffling. So many things were missed.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:56 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
It annoyed me as well because he got called for that and it was labelled as "embellishment" yet Carcillo had a hit later (Might've been earlier) where he snapped his head back and didn't have any contact there yet wasn't called.

The refereeing last night was baffling. So many things were missed.
Was the hit on Carcillo worthy of a penalty? If not, that's probably it. The refs really don't seem to call diving alone. I almost feel like they don't want that type of call deciding games. So they probably let it go because of that. 99% of the time if it's a dive there's another penalty to offset it.

Old
02-08-2014, 10:00 AM
HockeyMomx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
I disagree. If something is done that does not affect the receiving player from completing the attempted play there is no reason a penalty to be called.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

I believe the appropriate term for this is "chicken winging"

"It is self-evident that St. Louis affected me more deeply than any other environment has ever done. I feel that there is something in having passed one's childhood beside the big river, which is incommunicable to those people who have not. I consider myself fortunate to have been born here, rather than in Boston, or New York, or London."- T.S. Eliot
Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well boardings differ based on the danger of the hit. Neither a dive nor a stick hug is dangerous. One is just more flamboyant and just accepted as worse than the other. If you eliminate any preconceived notions then a dive where a guy got lightly hooked and a stick hug where a guy got lightly hooked are the same thing. I guess one is more subtle and thus doesn't "look" as bad, but they're both a way of cheating. A dive where a guy wasn't touched, or was touched but not enough to elicit a penalty on its own, is of course worse.
Fans' anger about diving isn't because it's cheating, but because there's a perceived lack of toughness associated with it. You have guys out there playing with stitches in their faces, taking hits to make a play, getting slashed across the wrists and not flinching. Then some Ribeiro or Kovalev is out there rolling around clutching his heart after a tiny nudge... it's just embarrassing. Implies that they can't be touched without turning the game into an operatic death scene. Goes against a fundamental ethic in the sport.

Guys hugging a stick or stopping their feet, that's just a matter of trying to win the game. There was a thread not too long ago where even a majority of HF'ers agreed that "going down easy" isn't the same thing as diving, the former just being a tactic that one expects to see in any physical competition.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Because if they don't do that the refs won't call hooking.

It's awful the amount of hooking/holding/interference that is being allowed in the game today.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote