HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Oilers website

Old
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
corykg

vCash: 500
OT: Oilers website

I got an email today advertising the Sirius contest from the Oilers Pipeline and to my surprise, there I was. My photo was used on the webpage. It was taken in the beer gardens before Game 3 of the Detroit series, but I did not sign a consent form allowing any use of it for marketing.

I emailed the Oilers today simply asking for a copy of the photo or a print of it. I feel it is a reasonable request.

An odd experience in an otherwise normal day.

corykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
gr8haluschak

your consent form is attending the game read the tickets and it states that.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by corykg View Post
I got an email today advertising the Sirius contest from the Oilers Pipeline and to my surprise, there I was. My photo was used on the webpage. It was taken in the beer gardens before Game 3 of the Detroit series, but I did not sign a consent form allowing any use of it for marketing.

I emailed the Oilers today simply asking for a copy of the photo or a print of it. I feel it is a reasonable request.

An odd experience in an otherwise normal day.
which one is you?

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
corykg

I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'd argue that since it was taken outside in the beer gardens (where you do not need a ticket to get in) my consent was not given.

Also, just read the back of a ticket and it does not say anything to that manner.

Old
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
corykg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCanada View Post
which one is you?

I'm on the right. A friend on the left.

Old
02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by corykg View Post
I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'd argue that since it was taken outside in the beer gardens (where you do not need a ticket to get in) my consent was not given.

Also, just read the back of a ticket and it does not say anything to that manner.
well first the beer gardens was in public so it would fall under the same idea as tv stations taking pictures of say whyte ave celebrations and showing them on tv (i don't remember what the act is called) so that is why they can do it without written permission.

second on the back of the tickets it says "the ticketholder consents to use of his/her image or likeness incidental to any transmition or reproduction of the event" which basically gives them free wheel to do what they want.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:09 PM
corykg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
"the ticketholder consents to use of his/her image or likeness incidental to any transmition or reproduction of the event"
my tickets don't say anything of that sort. Perhaps the season tickets have a different disclaimer on the back of them than my mini pack tickets do.

You may be right though about it being a public area and so my consent is not required. I just find it an odd situation since the guy on the left in the picture and his brother were pulled aside the next game to do a photo op and both were asked to sign a consent by the Oilers employee.

Like I said, I'm really not concerned about. It's just a unique situation to find myself on a website in the middle of the day that is not my own. I posted the experience for others to comment on.

Old
02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
metallicat

Why not sue the Oilers? It's clear your rights were violated. I think you'd have a case.

You're obviously concerned about it, or you wouldn't have mentioned not getting your consent. Don't you have bigger fish to fry?

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
corykg

@ metallicat

eh.. what's the point. Get $100?

With all due respect, I'm not American.

(I said with all due respect.)

I metion the consent angle simply because I was under the impression that consent would be needed in the situation. I think its actually pretty cool that I am on the site.

Old
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
namflashback

I believe the privacy legislation precludes an organization disclosing personal information about you along with the photo. For example, if they had put a caption in the photo which said "fan corykg (with your real name)" oustide Rexall Place -- that would be a violation unless they had your consent.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
corykg

Quote:
Originally Posted by namflashback View Post
I believe the privacy legislation precludes an organization disclosing personal information about you along with the photo. For example, if they had put a caption in the photo which said "fan corykg (with your real name)" oustide Rexall Place -- that would be a violation unless they had your consent.
That makes sense, thanks a lot!

Old
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
your consent form is attending the game read the tickets and it states that.
He also forgot to read the fine print on the back where the Oilers get your first born if your likeness is used on their site.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:32 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCanada View Post
which one is you?

the guy passed out with his pants around his knees and stuffed in a canaster?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote