HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 5-2

Old
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Substitute 'whether he's been hot or not' for "hot streak aside"... I'm not picking and choosing his hot and cold spots man.

Why do you think that I'd try to slag him? Halak has far exceeded what I thought he'd be. I think he's a solid starter but not in that top tier of goalies that I think St Louis needs to win.
Based on the 43 saves on 46 shots that he has stopped in his only 2 playoff appearances with them, or based off the fact that Halak and Elliot only have 12 losses this year between them?

But even if it takes a somewhat backhand compliment ("far exceeded what I thought he'd be") to get an "I was wrong" out of Lafleurs Guy, it's the moral victory of the day.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Based on the 43 saves on 46 shots that he has stopped in his only 2 playoff appearances with them, or based off the fact that Halak and Elliot only have 12 losses this year between them?

But even if it takes a somewhat backhand compliment ("far exceeded what I thought he'd be") to get an "I was wrong" out of Lafleurs Guy, it's the moral victory of the day.
I was wrong on Halak and said so long ago, and have said so repeatedly on this forum. I never thought he'd turn out to be a solid starter and he has. Not the first time I've been wrong on this forum and it won't be the last.

I don't consider him a top tier guy, but he's solid. Not sure if he's the kind of goalie who needs a lot of work to make him shine... maybe he is. But I don't think he'd be the guy I'd want to go with if I were the Blues. That doesn't make me a hater. He's shown that when he's 'on' he can play as good as anyone. But I just personally don't think he's consistent enough. .915 behind that team isn't good and he hasn't had a very good year. Last season Elliot almost stole his job... and he had a save percentage under .900.

The Blues need a blue chip guy in net. Miller would be the guy and I think they'll deal for him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
brian70

Quote:

Other players can set up Max though. And they can play defense and score themselves while doing it.

Does it work? I don't think so. I think we're playing an inferior player in a scorng position. Our offense was doing well last year and at the start of this year when other players were given more offensive opportunity. Since we started favouring DD our offense has fallen off a cliff. So no, I don't think it's that beneficial to the team.

There's little doubt that Max seems to like DD a lot on a personal level (kind of like how Kessel likes Bozak) but that doesn't mean he should be centering our top line.
The best matches for Pacioretty have been Desharnais and Briere. Eller didn't do very well with him, granted a very small sample but you only need to consider the different styles. I do believe Max would have had a very productive season with Pleks-Jagr but we'll never know.

Anyway, I believe management has made its case and Desharnais is here to stay while Eller is on his way out (at least I hope so, for his and his agent's sake). And I doubt Therrien will do anything in order to raise Lars' value so Bergevin will get a mid to late 2nd or its equivalent. And yes, Bergie will get fleeced.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
The best matches for Pacioretty have been Desharnais and Briere. Eller didn't do very well with him, granted a very small sample but you only need to consider the different styles. I do believe Max would have had a very productive season with Pleks-Jagr but we'll never know.
Actually folks have posted Max's production with other players and he's been better with other centers. So that doesn't wash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian70 View Post
Anyway, I believe management has made its case and Desharnais is here to stay while Eller is on his way out (at least I hope so, for his and his agent's sake). And I doubt Therrien will do anything in order to raise Lars' value so Bergevin will get a mid to late 2nd or its equivalent. And yes, Bergie will get fleeced.
Managment hasn't made any kind of case at all. Our offense dropped like a stone and so did our PP when we started leaning so heavily on DD.

But yeah, looks like we've made our choice. It's the wrong choice but...

Old
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
man

what a game to go to, on my birthday to boot

2 penalty shots (jesus max lol..)

a hat trick

rhum and cokes galore

43 saves by carey over luongo

chicken wings

was completely AWESOME

did not realize beaulieu was that good and hes my BOY to boot (and not nearly used enough)

and did NOT realize bourque was that BAD ...WOW... i had NO idea lmao

White and wiese and bournival were SICK (wiese was quite impressive), ...and soon as bourque hit that line they all struggled it was ridiculous..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
man

a hat trick

rhum and cokes galore

chicken wings

was completely AWESOME

did not realize beaulieu was that good and hes my BOY to boot (and not nearly used enough)

Well then happy birthday

Old
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Well then happy birthday
thx bud

the call on the first penalty shot was WEAK lol

but when i saw the second play happen i immediately thought, wow i cant believe there gonna give him ANOTHER one

was very confusing on how to feel about pacioretty this game LOL, would of been awesome to see 4+!

and i really cant believe ellers getting THIs much flak for having bourque AND prust as his wingers... you can SEE on the ice they are inept offensively , and lars is BUSTING his tail off out there, defensively especially
with those wingers he must be starting to feel like plekanec and ****, pleks himself is stuck with gionta and briere!

Old
02-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Burke the Legend

Do you watch Lars? He is not playing well either.

Why does everyone give him a pass but blame him wingers? He is part of the problem too.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post

Why does everyone give him a pass but blame him wingers? He is part of the problem too.
he was skating hard and playing good defense

the knock on him lately has been the lack of offense, which can be attributed DIRECTLY to his wingers as well

Old
02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Hard minutes and crappy linemates. He's not good enough a player to produce offensively that way. He's ideally a 2nd line center and we aren't playing him this way. DD is in the way.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Burke the Legend

Him not using wingers well. Very visible example last night him spinning around in corner 4 times in a row on a shift with his head down, while everyone stood around and watched, waiting for him to do something. Inevitably just turns over puck.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Him not using wingers well. Very visible example last night him spinning around in corner 4 times in a row on a shift with his head down, while everyone stood around and watched, waiting for him to do something. Inevitably just turns over puck.
That was Gallagher.

Old
02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
He set up Bourque like three times yesterday, once again. He also made a few plays to Prust where the play died on Prust's stick. I've been pointing out the set ups Eller has made to his wingers that past 4-5 games in every GDT, no one is cashing. It's also interesting that no one cares that Lars' linemates aren't setting him up for goals. I just don't see how any one can expect Eller to put up points with his current linemmates and no PP time.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He set up Bourque like three times yesterday, once again. He also made a few plays to Prust where the play died on Prust's stick. I've been pointing out the set ups Eller has made to his wingers that past 4-5 games in every GDT, no one is cashing. It's also interesting that no one cares that Lars' linemates aren't setting him up for goals. I just don't see how any one can expect Eller to put up points with his current linemmates and no PP time.
Agreed. Prust's and Bourque's sticks are where plays go to die.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
That was Gallagher.
i swear to god, i thought he was talking about gallagher as well

he made the first move, perfect, make the pass!, nope , then he did 3 more same moves and lost it..

Old
02-07-2014, 05:01 PM
habtastic

Quote:

he made the first move, perfect, make the pass!, nope , then he did 3 more same moves and lost it..
This is all further indication that the EGG line must be reunited. They get each other.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
That can be taught. His physical attributes are there. The Blues saw them when they selected him in the middle of the first round. Lars looked pretty good on the EGG line.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:

I know what play your talking about. He actually does this every game. Whenever Gally gets the puck along the boards, opposing teams just swarm him with 3 players because they know his linemates will just float and wait for him to magically get them the puck. Max and Davey literally waited 10 ft away from him despite 3 Nucks being between them and Gally... What the **** is he supposed to do lol. Davey finally went to help him out, but just lost the puck.

Whenever Gally would get the puck along the boards with the EGG line, at least one of Galch/Eller would be right there 2 ft away from him helping him win the puck. The other would go to the net anticipating a low shot or would go down low anticipating a pass behind the net.

This is what made them so successful. They were tenacious on the fore check. They'd win puck battles and continuously make short passes to one another before getting the puck on net. When they'd get the puck on net, one of them would be there for a tip in or rebound.

They were a tremendous possession line that could score on a passing play, rebound, deflection, and on the rush.

Smokey Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:08 PM
BrimStone64

Hard to believe...just about a year ago everybody on this board wanted White kicked off the team. Just release him most posted.

After Ott goated him into taking a major in Buffalo, which cost the Habs a win.

BrimStone64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:45 PM
LastRide

The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Montreal Canadiens defenceman Alexei Emelin $5,000 for butt-ending Vancouver Canucks forward Pascal Pelletier.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443268

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Agreed. Prust's and Bourque's sticks are where plays go to die.
Theres nobody on this team that needs the break more than prust IMO.

There was a play last night where prust took a slapshot and ended up grabbing his midsection/ribs in pain. That pretty much represent where prust is at physically right now.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
man

a hat trick

rhum and cokes galore

chicken wings

was completely AWESOME

White and wiese and bournival were SICK (wiese was quite impressive), ...and soon as bourque hit that line they all struggled it was ridiculous..
That cracked me up so much. Dude reminds me of an Elephant in a porcelain shop.

Glad you enjoyed the game.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Theres nobody on this team that needs the break more than prust IMO.

There was a play last night where prust took a slapshot and ended up grabbing his midsection/ribs in pain. That pretty much represent where prust is at physically right now.
Prust needs shoulder surgery

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 01:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Montreal Canadiens defenceman Alexei Emelin $5,000 for butt-ending Vancouver Canucks forward Pascal Pelletier.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443268
Retalitory for an elbow, wasn't it? No biggie...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 01:58 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Emelin's fine was $5,000.
His yearly salary is 2mill this year.
$2,000,000/365(way less but w/e) = $5480. 1 day's salary. Won't hurt him too much.

dkdanielkli is online now   Reply With Quote