HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Old
02-04-2014, 04:10 PM

vCash: 500
We seriously don't have a single right-handed defenseman in our system? How is that even possible? Also, anyone know anything about Erik Gustafsson? 18 points in 42 games in SHL and +5. Haven't actually heard anything about him ever. Is he coming over anytime soon? What's his ceiling?

5255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
We seriously don't have a single right-handed defenseman in our system? How is that even possible? Also, anyone know anything about Erik Gustafsson? 18 points in 42 games in SHL and +5. Haven't actually heard anything about him ever. Is he coming over anytime soon? What's his ceiling?
Fedun is the only rightie.

Gustafsson has another year on his contract in Sweden. I'm guessing he has an out-clause, but I'm guessing he'll play over there until the end of the contract.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:19 PM
rockinghockey

Is Dillan Simpson in the same situation that Schultz was where he can be a UFA and sign with any team he wants?

If he is I don't understand why he would want to sign in EDM as they have so many young dmen.
What are your guys thoughts?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I'll be pissed if Ekblad is taken and we don't trade the pick.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:50 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Is Dillan Simpson in the same situation that Schultz was where he can be a UFA and sign with any team he wants?

If he is I don't understand why he would want to sign in EDM as they have so many young dmen.
He can, but hell have to wait until after FA I think. Whereas Schultz could sign before.

I think theres a big risk we lose him. Which is why Id like to trade a D prospect (like Musil) for a forward prospect or bottom sixer, and be able to sign Simpson.

2 prospects > 1 (and Simpson is probably as good as Musil)

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Pretty sure they closed that loophole

02-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Gustafsson has another year on his contract in Sweden. I'm guessing he has an out-clause, but I'm guessing he'll play over there until the end of the contract.
Was he at camp this season? How did he look? As I said, haven't heard anything about him and would love to know more.

5255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 06:48 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
Was he at camp this season? How did he look? As I said, haven't heard anything about him and would love to know more.
I think he was at the developmental camp, but I don't remember much said about him.

We've had a couple Swedish posters drop in and say good things about him, but that's pretty much all I've heard about him.

He sounds like a pretty interesting prospect. Offensive skill, good skating, brings some physicality. Wish we could hear more about him too.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:48 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
He can, but hell have to wait until after FA I think. Whereas Schultz could sign before.

I think theres a big risk we lose him. Which is why Id like to trade a D prospect (like Musil) for a forward prospect or bottom sixer, and be able to sign Simpson.

2 prospects > 1 (and Simpson is probably as good as Musil)
I don't think there is a big risk. The simpson family is really close with Lowe. So if he isn't going to sign he would tell them so they could trade his rights

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 06:45 PM
rockinghockey

His father did state months ago that with the Oilers dmen depth with prospects that it is not a good place for a young dman to sign because of the depth we have.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:12 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
His father did state months ago that with the Oilers dmen depth with prospects that it is not a good place for a young dman to sign because of the depth we have.
I wonder if we would flip him for a prospect in similar straits... watch MacT go after the Oil Kings connection... trade his rights to NYR for St. Croix (PPG in ECHL)

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 09:23 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
I wonder if we would flip him for a prospect in similar straits... watch MacT go after the Oil Kings connection... trade his rights to NYR for St. Croix (PPG in ECHL)
I would rather trade a guy like Laleggia instead of Simpson. Which leads me to our defensive prospects.. Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Gustafsson, Simpson, Musil, Laleggia, Betker... Lol our prospect pool is stacked with defenders.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:15 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
I would rather trade a guy like Laleggia instead of Simpson. Which leads me to our defensive prospects.. Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Gustafsson, Simpson, Musil, Laleggia, Betker... Lol our prospect pool is stacked with defenders.
What??? The only reason Simpson comes up even is because of contract status... other wise we would keep him and let the D slot machine come up as it does... Laleggia is one of the best puck movers in the entire NCAA (13th among all skaters in points in NCHC)... no sense in trading a maybe future Brian Rafalski...

speaking of the NCHC... goalie Lukas Hafner has a 1.86 GAA and 0.928 SV% for WMU... 22 years old... 6'1 205 lbs... could be a good goalie to sign in the summer as a free agent

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
What??? The only reason Simpson comes up even is because of contract status... other wise we would keep him and let the D slot machine come up as it does... Laleggia is one of the best puck movers in the entire NCAA (13th among all skaters in points in NCHC)... no sense in trading a maybe future Brian Rafalski...

speaking of the NCHC... goalie Lukas Hafner has a 1.86 GAA and 0.928 SV% for WMU... 22 years old... 6'1 205 lbs... could be a good goalie to sign in the summer as a free agent
Hafner could definitely be a possibility.

It's probably safe to assume someone in the organization has seen a good amount of him since I'm guessing someone is keeping tabs on Kenney Morrison who also plays for WMU.

He was the defenseman the team brought to developmental camp at the beginning of the season and basically did all but sign him.

Old
02-06-2014, 11:28 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
The Hitmen (Greg Chase) and the Giants (Jackson Houck) play on Shaw Friday night.

It's a good chance to see how the two are progressing.

Makes for a good double header:

Oilers vs Devils @ 5:00
Hitmen vs Giants @ 8:30

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 02:41 AM
Tw0Shoes

Big win for OKC 8-5. Horak with a hatty, arco and eager with 3 pts each and lander with 2. Musil with his first goal of the year.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 04:19 AM
40oz

Marco Roy with a goal
Nurse with an assist and -1 in a 5-1 loss
Platzer with 2 goals
Chase with 2 assists

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 12:22 PM
topchowda

Nurse and Yakimov impressing

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Zona's overall negative evaluation of Oilers prospects using NHLE is somewhat misguided given that a lot of the forwards drafted were not drafted to be top 6 guys so their NHLE for a bottom 6 role is actually decent. Also there are a number of forwards and defensemen who are in their first year pro or their first year in a tougher league so their NHLE would be expected to be lower than other more experienced players in their respective leagues. Not to mention there are a bunch of players in there who are expected to shut down other teams' top lines and are performing well in that capacity. Clearly some players don't project to make it to the NHL but overall I certainly wouldn't judge this year to be a poor year development wise for Oilers prospects.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Zona's overall negative evaluation of Oilers prospects using NHLE is somewhat misguided given that a lot of the forwards drafted were not drafted to be top 6 guys so their NHLE for a bottom 6 role is actually decent. Also there are a number of forwards and defensemen who are in their first year pro or their first year in a tougher league so their NHLE would be expected to be lower than other more experienced players in their respective leagues. Not to mention there are a bunch of players in there who are expected to shut down other teams' top lines and are performing well in that capacity. Clearly some players don't project to make it to the NHL but overall I certainly wouldn't judge this year to be a poor year development wise for Oilers prospects.
I would put very little stock into the NHLE numbers. This is far from an exact science.

It is pretty easy to predict that a prospect will not score a lot in his first year or so. But trying to linearly order prospects by their NHLE is really stretching things as far as I am concerned.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:08 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I would put very little stock into the NHLE numbers. This is far from an exact science.

It is pretty easy to predict that a prospect will not score a lot in his first year or so. But trying to linearly order prospects by their NHLE is really stretching things as far as I am concerned.
I like NHLE's, I think it's an interesting idea. While it obviously has its flaws I find it really intriguing to compare players who fail to live up to their NHLEs and ask why they did. Whether it's a player with certain qualities, the situation their in, or just random.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
So's Comrie ... oh wait, we too Marc-Oliver Roy instead. My bad.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-january-2014/

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:44 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
So's Comrie ... oh wait, we too Marc-Oliver Roy instead. My bad.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-january-2014/
I can't blame anyone for not picking Comrie with his hip issue.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 04:57 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Todd Nelson gives an update on some of our prospects.

Its good to hear the Klefbom is progressing from Todd Nelson. Hope to see him finish the season really strong.

CurrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:06 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Quote:
Que? Simpson is definitely better prospect than Laleggia is. Laleggia is small, offensively skilled defender who isn't good defensively. Simpson is big, offensively skilled defender who is great defensively. If we need to trade one D prospect and MacT trades Simpson I'm going to be mad as hell.

My top-20 Oilers prospect ranking:

(U23 players with less than 42 NHL games)

1. Darnell Nurse, D, (ceiling: elite #1 defender)
2. Oscar Klefbom, D, (ceiling: good #2 defender)
3. Martin Marincin, D, (ceiling: ok #2, but more likely great #3 defender)
4. Bogdan Yakimov, C, (ceiling: good 2nd line C with big risk)
5. Mitch Moroz, LW, (ceiling: ok 2nd line, great 3rd line LW)
6. Greg Chase, C, (ceiling: good 2nd line C with average risk)
7. Martin Gernat, D, (ceiling: sheltered second-pairing D, good #5 defender)
8. Jujhar Khaira, LW/C, (ceiling: 3rd line forward)
9. Tyler Pitlick, RW, (ceiling: 3rd line RW)
10. Jackson Houck, RW, (ceiling: 3rd line RW)
11. Erik Gustafsson, D, (solid #4 defender)
12. Marc-Olivier Roy, C, (ceiling: 2nd line C with big risk)
13. Laurent Brossoit, G, (ceiling: below average starter)
14. Anton Slepyshev, LW, (ceiling: 2nd line LW with big risk)
15. Dillon Simpson, D, (ceiling: #4 defender with some risk)
16. Curtis Hamilton, LW, (ceiling: 4th line LW)
17. Joey Laleggia, D, (ceiling: sheltered second-pairing D with risk)
18. Kyle Platzer, C/RW, (ceiling: 3rd line forward with average risk)
19. Ben Betker, D, (ceiling: bottom-pairing defender)
20. David Musil, D, (ceiling: second-pairing defender with high risk)

HM: Frans Tuohimaa, Daniil Zharkov

Sadly I haven't seen our college forwards so I'm not going to rank them. I've heard good things about Kellen Jones though. I'm going to do much longer write-ups of our prospects but I don't know if I have time/patience to translate it from Finnish.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote