HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official GDT February 6: NY Rangers at New Jersey Devils, 7:30p MSG

Old
02-07-2007, 02:06 PM
towely

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Lukowich led with his shoulder and aimed at his head.

Again, call it clean, cause it was, but it still doesn't mean it was right.
These kind of hits have no place in hockey, its headhunting and its ********.
i also agree that by the rules it was a clean hit but nobody cant say that a hit with the shoulder like that is not being used with the same intent of the elbow.
and a hit like that when properly executed falls into the guidlines of the rules and packs a lot more wallop then a elbow.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
i also agree that by the rules it was a clean hit but nobody cant say that a hit with the shoulder like that is not being used with the same intent of the elbow.
and a hit like that when properly executed falls into the guidlines of the rules and packs a lot more wallop then a elbow.
There needs to be something in the NHL like the NFL has with hitting a guy in the head, even if its with a shoulder, an earlobe, pinky toe, whatever.

Again, someone will die and THEN they'll change the rules.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:28 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
While I didn't like the hit on Prucha, it was all shoulder and clean.

Regardless of that, no one responded in any way to that hit and that's where I find fault with this group (they are not a team. Teammates react to that and Lukowich should have been confronted) Not only didn't someone drop the gloves with Brad, but not one player on the ice said boo to the guy.

Wimps, this is a crew of wimps.
Are the Devils wimps? Nobody responded when Ward went high on Brylin and steamrolled him. You can say they responded with the hit on Prucha, but we see that kind of hit on Prucha all the time, because he looks at the puck too much. The hit on Prucha would have happened whether Ward hit Brylin or not.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
i never said this years devils team is the best devil team ever.
and i certainly did not expect anyone to be suprised about the devils team history that i mentioned because as a ranger fan its all too painfully clear.
and my mentioning of the teams past season was just to point out that they not only are a top 5 team now they have been for the last dozen or more years and their are not many teams that have been as consistent over that time period.
but i did answer your question about this years squad as far as how they rank here and now in the league this year which is tied for 4th in the league. so in case you have troubles with numbers 4 is less than 5 which i beleive answers your question of the devils being a top 5 team now this year.
so please explain to me how the answers i gave you to them being a top five team now based on their record and the current official standings of the nhl suggests that i am not up to speed and living in the past off video tape when the answer i gave you is not my creation its fact. so stop trying to make me look like the fool when you were the one asking a question that could have been simply answered by opening up the morning paper.
and just to clarify your own inability to read and lack of smarts i never implied you were being sarcastic.
Since you wrote something and then denied you wrote it within the same thread I see no point in continuing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
BigE

Quote:

How is he supposed to stop him in that case? As a defenseman you're trained to take the body. It's not as if Lukowich could have bent down any lower, he's not that mobile and likely isn't proficient with the hip check - so what other option does he have?

As they say on the ice: keep your ****ing head up!

Nobody seemed to be worried about Ward's headshot earlier in the period. That was a deliberate double-glove to the face. In that circumstance Ward had other options, but chose to pursue the head avenue.

I can understand your desire for eliminating headshots - it's a noble, albeit foolhearty cause - but you have to be consistent.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
How is he supposed to stop him in that case? As a defenseman you're trained to take the body. It's not as if Lukowich could have bent down any lower, he's not that mobile and likely isn't proficient with the hip check - so what other option does he have?

As they say on the ice: keep your ****ing head up!

Nobody seemed to be worried about Ward's headshot earlier in the period. That was a deliberate double-glove to the face. In that circumstance Ward had other options, but chose to pursue the head avenue.

I can understand your desire for eliminating headshots - it's a noble, albeit foolhearty cause - but you have to be consistent.

How come I don't see this coming from every D-man if they're trained to hit like this? Its usually only certain guys that are guilty of these kind of hits.

Btw, I didn't see the Ward shot so I can't say, but if it was like Luko's hit on Prucha then i'll include him as well.

You're right, its Prucha's job to keep his head up, and if you're making millions to play a GAME of hockey then you should be smart enough to backoff when you got a prone guy in your sights. Especially since this was along the boards going in one direction. He had plenty of time to decide what he was gonna do.

Again, its legal but I don't like it, there shouldn't be linebackers in hockey.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:24 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
I know why we lost. I said it over and over. Without Malik we truly aren't any better at all. Malik is an important player on defense. Not to mention he has been doing very well lately. 4 games ago he got injured, now 4 games into the present we lost all our games.

We have a Malik factor! We need Malik back.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
BigE

Trained to hit with there elbow tucked and drive the arm/shoulder into the opposing player? Every defenseman is trained to do this.

The reason you don't see more Prucha-type hits is because very few players in the NHL skate with there head 2 feet infront of their body like Prucha does.

Lukowich isn't known for nasty hits. It's funny, though, that this isn't the first time Prucha has been belted in this manner. Perhaps you could find a better correlation within those two variables: player skating style and victimized by devastating hits.

Old
02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_NYR View Post
I know why we lost. I said it over and over. Without Malik we truly aren't any better at all. Malik is an important player on defense. Not to mention he has been doing very well lately. 4 games ago he got injured, now 4 games into the present we lost all our games.

I think has more to do with the fact that three defensemen we played last night have combined less than 3/4 of a full NHL season between them than it was missing Malik.

02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
BigE

I'd still take those three defenseman over Malik. That experience is going to help us a helluva lot more in 2 years than Malik will.

Old
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Since you wrote something and then denied you wrote it within the same thread I see no point in continuing.
what exactly did i write that i am denying? with the exception of adding a cup appearence to the devils resume which i assume all responsibilty for and i later noticed and addressed what am i denying?
are you trying to put words in my mouth or are you just trying to twist what i say to fit your arguement? be more specific.
as far as the team this year all i ever said is they are tied for fourth in the league is that not true?
and i never implied that this years team was in any way the best devil team out of the bunch.
how exactly can i or anyone deny what is said on this board when its in black and white there for all to see. i just dont get it if i said something that contradicts what i previously said then point it out and show me i'll man up to it i am not here to get in a mud slinging contest with a fellow ranger fan.
i appreciate and respect everyones opinion here whether or not i agree with them or not. i gave my two cents on the blame game here as to why we keep losing and since then you been quoteing my responses like i am just splurting out a bunch of lies. and i am not the one who started the insulting of peoples intelligence here.
so just like you until you can provide some explanations to your statements instead of answering a question with another question i too see no need to continue further as well.

Old
02-07-2007, 07:08 PM
towely

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Are you saying that this Devils team is one of the best teams of the last dozen years? I'm not sure that they are a top 5 team this year.
hey chosen this post is just to prove i would man up for anything i said because until i reread everything we posted back and fourth i just noticed right from the begining of our crossing paths that i made the mistake that started the confusion back and fourth. as i got you quoted above with your original question of you asking me if i thought this devils team was the best of the last dozen years.
and i originally said yes but that was due to i missed the " this devil team " meaning this years team. when i originally answered you i mis interpeted your question and my response was based on the devils organization as a whole over the last dozen years and not the comparison of this team against the other devil teams in the past and to give you the clarity you requested about the question quoted above no this is not the best devils team over the last dozen years and yes this years team is a top five team not because i say so but the standings say so.
so i hope this answers your question better then my previous trys and sorry for the confusion because even if it means putting my foot in my mouth i'll man up to anything i say right or wrong.

Old
02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

I hope this is a joke

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

Bottom line is that we once again did not stick up for him...

Old
02-07-2007, 08:56 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I hope this is a joke
No joke.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
No joke.
Malik is the problem? Come on man. He's not better than any of the dmen that we've been playing...seriously...Gill is just as big and slow....yet is 100 times more effective

Old
02-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Block More Shots

Players are gonna look for the big hit on Prucha. It's been going on all year, it won't change. Prucha has to learn to keep his head up. Defensemen are going to look for the big hit once in a while and seeing how he's small, they know they can easily do it.

The thing is, despite the big hits on him, he shouldn't change the way he plays. He should be skating hard into the corners and playing physical. If he doesn't do those things, he'd be just about invisible out there. He just needs to be a bit more aware of the players around him so he can avoid those hits and protect himself. Prucha plays with an edge and I like that.

After looking over the replay, I think that Lukowich led with his elbow, but that's not going to be called. As long as his shoulder hit, it was clean. It's just too bad that players are going head-hunting. A good shoulder to chest hit is fine but going after a player's head is ridiculous.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote