HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

vCash: 500
More on the Fraser waiver:

'After speaking with a member of the team’s hockey operations, it has been confirmed that Colin Fraser has been placed on waivers, and the analysis in the post from earlier this afternoon is correct. The move gives the Kings extra “breathing space” in terms of roster and cap flexibility and was “not a knock on Fras.” He expressed that the team must play better than it had since Christmas, and today’s move was one that should provide the team with flexibility for the future.'

http://lakingsinsider.com/2014/02/08...ote-on-berube/

Going by rumours over the last week, Gagner's salary seemed to be the big sticking point for LA as they couldn't take on any salary. I guess we'll see how interested they are at the end of the month.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Interesting to think about, but I really don't think the Oilers will hold a firesale. We've got a lot of great pieces that we want to keep long term. I'd have to think MacT's breakdown looks something like this:

Don't trade:
Hall
Nuge
Eberle
Perron
Yakupov
Gordon
Hendricks
J. Schultz
Petry
Ference
Scrivens

That leaves Gagner, Hemsky, Smyth, Jones, Joensuu, Gazdik, maybe Arcobello as pieces to trade. That means there's only one spot to fill in our top 6, the bottom 6 can be upgraded but not substantially.

That means 6-7 offensive pieces are leaving, and we need to bring in 1 offensive and 2-3 defensive pieces. He's in prime position to make a move right now without holding a firesale.
Nobody should be untouchable aside from 1, maybe 2 players given the debacle this season has been. If he's a halfway competent GM he's listening to calls for any and all players outside of Hall (he could even go for the right, massive price) and RNH. Just my opinion.

Every one of the D can go for the right piece, since they're all pretty much 3-4-5 guys anyways. If a package is there for a big minute, big name player you do it no questions asked, as much as I like those 3 d-men you mentioned in particular...

Scrivens should definitely stay but that's all up to him. Hope it would be at a reasonable number as well.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
More on the Fraser waiver:

'After speaking with a member of the team’s hockey operations, it has been confirmed that Colin Fraser has been placed on waivers, and the analysis in the post from earlier this afternoon is correct. The move gives the Kings extra “breathing space” in terms of roster and cap flexibility and was “not a knock on Fras.” He expressed that the team must play better than it had since Christmas, and today’s move was one that should provide the team with flexibility for the future.'

http://lakingsinsider.com/2014/02/08...ote-on-berube/

Going by rumours over the last week, Gagner's salary seemed to be the big sticking point for LA as they couldn't take on any salary. I guess we'll see how interested they are at the end of the month.
They are definitely planning on taking on salary, I doubt that they'd potentially lose Fraser for nothing unless something was brewing.

02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Apart from Gagner to LA, I still think we'll have a deal with Philly when it's all said and done.

All this scouting and foreplay doesn't happen if it's for 'when they play next' or some back up goalie. It's either for one of the Schenn bros or Coburn (who our management is smitten with).

The question is what we're sending back.

02-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Apart from Gagner to LA, I still think we'll have a deal with Philly when it's all said and done.

All this scouting and foreplay doesn't happen if it's for 'when they play next' or some back up goalie. It's either for one of the Schenn bros or Coburn (who our management is smitten with).

To me, Gagner for Luke Schenn makes a lot of sense.

Reclamation player for a reclamation player. Both players could use changes of scenery.

Gagner could play well with Giroux and Schenn brings that toughness and on the blueline.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:48 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post

Reclamation player for a reclamation player. Both players could use changes of scenery.

Gagner could play well with Giroux and Schenn brings that toughness and on the blueline.
I like Schenn too, but if MacT thought Smid was overpaid in a 3rd pairing role, I doubt he goes out and gets a guy who basically makes the same amount to play on the bottom pairing.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I like Schenn too, but if MacT thought Smid was overpaid in a 3rd pairing role, I doubt he goes out and gets a guy who basically makes the same amount to play on the bottom pairing.
Well what doesn't make sense is he went out and got Ference. Him and Smid aren't too dissimilar and have similar weaknesses. So I'm not sure it's purely on what type of game they play.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

I just posted a Perron for Hartnell proposal on the Trade Board. Philly has a lot of what we want/need but besides Perron and Nail I don't think that we can say the same in reverse.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Well what doesn't make sense is he went out and got Ference. Him and Smid aren't too dissimilar and have similar weaknesses. So I'm not sure it's purely on what type of game they play.
I'm guess his hope was that one of Smid or Ference would be able to handle the left side on the top pairing, obviously neither was able to so I guess he at least got rid of the one he thought was a lesser player.

I think something like this was his idea at the start:

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Belov - Larsen

Now?

Marincin - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
Fraser - Ference

and what it should be:

XXX - XXX
Marincin - Petry
Ference - Schultz

If the Oil are talking to Philly about D, I'm thinking the only two guys should be Coburn or Grossman.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Spawn

Quote:

Quote:
I would be so mad if such a deal went down like this.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:10 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

I do think we should target Schenn as he seems like he'd be a better fit in the West, but that would be a terrible deal

02-08-2014, 04:28 PM
shogun99

I wouldn't do Gagner for L.Schenn but I would do Gagner plus a pick/prospect for L.Schenn and Hartnell.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

IF we are considering Luke Schenn, you have to imagine the skeleton D being:

XXXX-Petry
XXXX-Schenn
Ference-Schultz

Trading for Schenn, and then playing Marincin(who while he's been good, still a rookie) is a recipe for disaster. Why? Because adding a reclamation project and then a rookie/sophomore D-man to the worst D in the NHL is not way to shore up the D. Unless the last addition is Pronger v.2006, we'll be in trouble.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@TheFourthPeriod
10 scouts on list here for VAN/TOR game: EDM, DET, BOS, NAS, COL, CBJ, STL, ANA, DAL, PHX

Old
02-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

What is Philly adding

Old
02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Why would we trade for Luke Schenn, I'd slot him below Petry and J. Schultz, not to mention we just went and picked up Fraser, to do what turn around and find a replacement 10 games later, in a season that is already lost. Then what if we draft Ekblad, who I think would outplay Schenn in his first NHL training camp as a rookie, we would do what toss Schenn overboard to keep the hilarity and mis-management of assets going .

Old
02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
@TheFourthPeriod
10 scouts on list here for VAN/TOR game: EDM, DET, BOS, NAS, COL, CBJ, STL, ANA, DAL, PHX
Must be scouting the next great former Marlie.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Must be scouting the next great former Marlie.
Really, they should just do live auctions for player trades.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
@TheFourthPeriod
Guess is everyone is scouting either Edler or Kulemin. Possibly Booth or Bolland.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Highlander23

vCash: 50
Hey guys, just throwing a name who might interest you, what about methot out of ottawa ?

Old
02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Why would we trade for Luke Schenn, I'd slot him below Petry and J. Schultz, not to mention we just went and picked up Fraser, to do what turn around and find a replacement 10 games later, in a season that is already lost. Then what if we draft Ekblad, who I think would outplay Schenn in his first NHL training camp as a rookie, we would do what toss Schenn overboard to keep the hilarity and mis-management of assets going .
Allows us to keep Klefbom, Gernat in the minors and Nurse in junior for another year...Ekblad Is far from a guarantee ...even then might be better for him to be in juniors again to develop and save a contract yr also....right now Potter is our 3rd best right hand shot.....Jason Smith had a very similar early career to what Luke is going thru right now.....could be a good pick up to strengthen the right side and add some much needed functional size and toughness .....I wouldn't mind picking up Luke, would make it easier to cutdown on Justin's mins

Old
02-08-2014, 05:09 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander23 View Post
Hey guys, just throwing a name who might interest you, what about methot out of ottawa ?
There was talk that the Oilers tried to get him out of Columbus, and he'd be a great addition, but what reason do the Sens have to move a local kid who's been an important piece to their defence.

Also...wrong thread

02-08-2014, 08:54 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
What is Philly adding
I think the oilers want simmonds...and simmonds is available.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:58 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
You mean, trying out players is mismanagement? I always considered mismanagement to be nit getting rid of players that cant play their position.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I think the oilers want simmonds...and simmonds is available.
Was there someone saying that he is actually available? He's definitely the type of guy the Oil need.

Closed Thread