HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C John Tavares (2009, 1st overall, NYI) I & II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2007, 08:30 AM
  #501
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 20,217
vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
Does anyone honestly think Tavares would be better off playing in the NHL at 16 Better he spend 2 years in Europe.
16???

if he where to be drafted in 08 that would make him 18 when the reugular season starts. i think it would be a good idea. what will he have to prove in the ohl in the 08/09 season. he is allready tearing it up. but i dont see it happening. he is welcome to come to norway and play for my team

Redwingsfan is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 AM
  #502
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe
 
Ryan Van Horne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
The Generals are attempting to host the Memorial Cup in 2008 and Tavares is obviously the centrepiece of that bid. If they get it, I don't see him leaving to play in Europe next year.

As for the NHL, I agree with those who say the NHL is not going to make a exception just for Tavares.

However, consider this. The OHL did not make an exception just for Tavares. They created a process by which underage (i.e. 15 year old) players could play in the league and Tavares was simply the first to take advantage of it. There will be others who apply and some will get in.

The possibility exists that the NHL will create the same kind of process by which a player can apply for "exceptional player status" -- just like Tavares did in the OHL -- and that Tavares will be the first to try to take advantage of it.

For those who argue that if the NHL didn't change its rules to allow Ovechkin in early, they won't do it for Tavares. Well, from a talent level, it makes sense. But the big difference between Ovechkin and Tavares is their country of origin. It's possible that Ovechkin might have stayed in Russia because he was already playing in the RSL. There wasn't as much incentive for him to leave and come to the NHL. He certainly wasn't "stagnating" in the RSL as an 18-year-old. If the NHL let Ovechkin be drafted in 2003, he might not have come to the league right away and the decision would have only benefited Florida. If the NHL allows Tavares in, he'll come right away, I think and there's instant gratification for the league.

There is an argument that Tavares might stagnate during a fourth OHL season (although, Canada is hosting the world juniors in Ottawa that year 2008-09). He needs to play pro as an 18-year-old somewhere and he definitely will if he's given the opportunity, I think. If he's getting some conservative advice from his agent, then he'll play a fourth year in the OHL, but if his agent has a little moxy, then I think you'll see him move. Sweden would be the most likely destination I would think.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it soon, though, before too many teams start trading first-round picks away in 2008 or 2009.


Last edited by Ryan Van Horne: 02-06-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
Ryan Van Horne is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 10:25 AM
  #503
Kevin Forbes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
The Generals are attempting to host the Memorial Cup in 2008 and Tavares is obviously the centrepiece of that bid. If they get it, I don't see him leaving to play in Europe next year.

As for the NHL, I agree with those who say the NHL is not going to make a exception just for Tavares.

However, consider this. The OHL did not make an exception just for Tavares. They created a process by which underage (i.e. 15 year old) players could play in the league and Tavares was simply the first to take advantage of it. There will be others who apply and some will get in.

The possibility exists that the NHL will create the same kind of process by which a player can apply for "exceptional player status" -- just like Tavares did in the OHL -- and that Tavares will be the first to try to take advantage of it.

For those who argue that if the NHL didn't change its rules to allow Ovechkin in early, they won't do it for Tavares. Well, from a talent level, it makes sense. But the big difference between Ovechking and Tavares is their country of origin. It's possible that Ovechkin might have stayed in Russia because he was already playing in the RSL. There wasn't as much incentive for him to leave and come to the NHL. He certainly wasn't "stagnating" in the RSL as an 18-year-old. If the NHL let Ovechkin be drafted in 2003, he might not have come to the league right away and the decision would have only benefited Florida. If the NHL allows Tavares in, he'll come right away, I think and there's instant gratification for the league.

There is an argument that this might happen to Tavares. He needs to play pro as an 18-year-old somewhere and he definitely will if he's given the opportunity, I think. If he's getting some conservative advice from his agent, then he'll play a fourth year in the OHL, but if his agent has a little moxy, then I think you'll see him move. Sweden would be the most likely destination I would think.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it soon, though, before too many teams start trading first-round picks away in 2008 or 2009.

Good post! Brings up some interesting questions.

To the thread-starter, is there a link or any reference on where you heard this rumour?

Kevin Forbes is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
  #504
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe
 
Ryan Van Horne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
I no sooner hit submit and the latest Hockey News drops through my mail slot -- the one with a cover story on John Tavares. An interesting read.

Couple interesting quotes from the story by John Brophy.

"I have no plans whatsoever to leave early. I have a lot to learn. Right now, I'm looking at this like I am going to be here for four years." -- John Tavares.

His agent, Bryan Deasley, said there's no plans to take legal action against the NHL to get him in.
A quote from Deasley opens the possibility of something different happening in year 4.
"... that could set up a scenario where John will need to come up with new challenges in his fourth year in the league."

Also, the story paraphrases Bill Daly saying the NHL does not anticipate changing the rules.

One gets the impression from this that if it's going to happen, the NHL is going to have be on board. A legal challenge by Tavares camp would be too costly and not really worthwhile.

Ryan Van Horne is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 10:57 AM
  #505
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe
 
Ryan Van Horne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
I noticed that his name is not on the roster for canada winter games. Can anyone tell me why?
I think it is because he already played for the under-18 team in Sweden last spring. Hockey Canada does not move players back down to lower levels once they've graduated to a higher level. I don't think it's a rule, (but it might be) it's just the way they operate.

Ryan Van Horne is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 11:06 AM
  #506
8baby*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I think it is because he already played for the under-18 team in Sweden last spring. Hockey Canada does not move players back down to lower levels once they've graduated to a higher level. I don't think it's a rule, (but it might be) it's just the way they operate.
That would be a step backwards for the best 17 year old in the world.This kid will be better then Crosby for sure!!!!!!!

8baby* is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
  #507
8baby*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveHextall View Post
I recently heard a rumor that the NHL was considering lifting the age restriction rule on Tavares which would make him eligible for the upcoming draft.

Since his birthday is only 10 days after the deadline, the NHL would let him in since another year in the OHL wouldn't seem to accomplish anything and they NHL needs another young star to sell.

I wish i remember where I heard this rumor, but I don't. Has anybody heard anything like this?
Then the league is fixed,The team that picks first next year would have to be real pissed at that,I SAY NO WAY WAIT YOUR TURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8baby* is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
  #508
fong p88
Registered User
 
fong p88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Didnt Patrice Bergeron play for the World Juniors team after playing for the World Champoinship team?

fong p88 is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
  #509
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fong p88 View Post
Didnt Patrice Bergeron play for the World Juniors team after playing for the World Champoinship team?
Yes he did but I think that was an exception to the rule due to the lockout.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
  #510
DXFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
I wish the Flyers sucked next year instead of this year. But I like what I see in Patrick Kane, hopefully we can get him.

DXFlyers is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
  #511
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
You can only play on the team once and he chose to play last year instead of this year. There was an article on this last year.

NeverGoingToWin is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
  #512
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 20,217
vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
i think its a very good rule. it gives more people a chanse to play for team-canada.

Redwingsfan is offline  
Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
  #513
kingpin_19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Drumheller, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXFlyers View Post
I wish the Flyers sucked next year instead of this year. But I like what I see in Patrick Kane, hopefully we can get him.
Chances are, unless some changes are made to the personnel, they'll continue to be without a paddle next year as well. Unless Gagne decides to be the next Mark Messier...

kingpin_19 is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 02:23 AM
  #514
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 7,108
vCash: 920
Was flipping through the channels and saw poker on ESPN, some Fult-Tilt Poker tournament. At first I thought I was seeing things, but Daniel Negraneau was actually wearing an authentic Oshawa John Tavares jersey. Pretty cool. Come to think of it, I never saw any poker players wearing Crosby jerseys before

Draft Guru is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
  #515
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Was flipping through the channels and saw poker on ESPN, some Fult-Tilt Poker tournament. At first I thought I was seeing things, but Daniel Negraneau was actually wearing an authentic Oshawa John Tavares jersey. Pretty cool. Come to think of it, I never saw any poker players wearing Crosby jerseys before
Daniel Negraneau has worn a Crosby Rimouski jersey on a televised poker show before.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
  #516
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 37,802
vCash: 500
Does Tavares play wing? The Pens could use a wing, and well, you just know that this kid is worth tanking for.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
  #517
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 39,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin_19 View Post
Chances are, unless some changes are made to the personnel, they'll continue to be without a paddle next year as well. Unless Gagne decides to be the next Mark Messier...
I don't know about that..

I hate the Flyers and they look like they could turn it around pretty easily. They're a pretty talented team, not too different from the team from last year. They're loaded with young guns who are bound to improve, and they have underperforming vets everywhere. When they add someone with their Forsberg money, I could see them challenging for a playoff spot again next year.

Stephen is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
  #518
ISS Hockey
Top30 Draft Rankings
 
ISS Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Does Tavares play wing? The Pens could use a wing, and well, you just know that this kid is worth tanking for.
Tavares is a centre. However, we think he's good enough to play wing, too, and not miss a beat.

ISS Hockey is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
  #519
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 37,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS View Post
Tavares is a centre. However, we think he's good enough to play wing, too, and not miss a beat.
Cool. And worst case scenerio, you can never have too many franchose centers. Tank in '08, Prime Time in '09.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
  #520
OHLArenaGuide
it's dot com
 
OHLArenaGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Somewhat scary that none of those names are really standout (aside from Larmer) as doing anything good in the NHL, I hope for better with Tavares.
Spoken like someone who's never heard of HockeyDB.

OHLArenaGuide is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
  #521
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I remember reading that the NHL was moving the draft aga 3 months a year until they reach 19 years old. Did this get scrapped with the new CBA?

Rookie Chargers is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
  #522
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I hear Dustin Rose has a phenom son by the name of Devlin who scored 563 goals in 28 games in his bantam league at the age of 4. He's so good, the CHL is going to amend their rules to let him in at the age of six and the NHL is going to declare him eligible for the 2009 draft so it's not just "John Tavares and a bunch of scrubs".
I always thought Dustin Rose had the ability to travel back in time and see himself getting born. In fact, Dustin Rose's father is himself.

Bubbles is offline  
Old
02-07-2007, 10:13 PM
  #523
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
Spoken like someone who's never heard of HockeyDB.
great site, I love that you can go and look at guys like Guy Lafleur and Maurice Richard, and see how they did in junior

chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
02-08-2007, 01:58 AM
  #524
nanzenkills
Registered User
 
nanzenkills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveHextall View Post
I recently heard a rumor that the NHL was considering lifting the age restriction rule on Tavares which would make him eligible for the upcoming draft.

Since his birthday is only 10 days after the deadline, the NHL would let him in since another year in the OHL wouldn't seem to accomplish anything and they NHL needs another young star to sell.

I wish i remember where I heard this rumor, but I don't. Has anybody heard anything like this?
I don't think there is any chance of that happening.

nanzenkills is offline  
Old
02-08-2007, 07:03 AM
  #525
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,655
vCash: 500
Can Tavares reach 200 points?

I'm not talking about this year, but by 2008-09 can he reach 200 or more points? Mario had 282 points in his draft year, and to put it in perpective Crosby had 168 although Tavares will be almost a year older by his draft year than Crosby was.

But anyways do you think it can happen?

Big Phil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.