HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everyone relax, take a few breaths: State of the Union

Old
02-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Netro

vCash: 500
Everyone relax, take a few breaths: State of the Union

The Habs are no doubt mired in a 6 week slump, which seem to start with the flu-ridden losses a little while back. Now, everyone who showed all this excitement for the first 3 months of the season are bad-mouthing the players, coaches, management, trainers, stick-boys, moms etc..C'mon, let's relax for a sec.

(1) It is a long season
The season is long, spanning from October to April. It is very difficult for almost all teams to maintain a certain level of energy and intensity over all 82 games. The better teams just get away with it more. The Habs swoon was to be expected and in the dog days of January, when the initial burst of the season is behind them and the push to playoffs is not quite there yet, it is well, understandable. Plus, these boys do get banged up and tired and considering the Habs are not the biggest team, it makes sense that they run into trouble each January. Yes, the time is now to begin the playoff push, and they are slowly getting there. Last Thursday's game in Pittsburgh was great, but then they only played 40 minutes in each game on the weekend..it is a matter of confidence, which they are currently struggling with and that is why we see some inconsistencies.

(2) Coaching and Management
All the Carbo lovers hate him now. Funny. Way to stick with your team through the good and bad. Heck, I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan since the mid-70s and I still watched every game I could when they went 1-15 in 1989. Carbo is a rookie coach, he has and will make mistakes. It is a learning process for him. But, he has spent time behind the bench as an assistant, and understands the game so comparing him to Tremblay is crazy. You may not like every decision he makes, heck, I know I don't but he is a leader. I was at 1 coach's press conference after a game and let me tell you, he is a presence. Plus, he has a good staff in place with Jarvis and Muller.

As for Gainey, he has the exact characteristics I want in a GM. He is patient, he knows the game well and he has a great poker face. Again, he will make mistakes but I am willing to bet that he wins more than he loses. Plus, I believe he has a strategy in place. Signing Samsonov may not have worked out but I like his thinking. He was not sure if the rookies would be ready this season so instead of giving them spots, he filled it with short term vets (Samsonov's contract is only 2 years for a reason) and made rookies *win* a spot. I prefer this. I am not comfortable with just giving a 21 year old a starting role in the top 6 forwards...Plus, while the Habs are competitive this year, I am willing to bet that Gainey understands in the Salary Cap era it is about having young assets (cheap) contribute. Guys, the Habs are primed to Stanley Cup contenders for the next 10 years, with them having the best chance in years 3-7. BG knows this clubs weaknesses and will address it, if not before the deadline than this summer.

This team has a great coaching staff and management in place. And they have been drafting very well since A.Savard took over in 2001 and with T.Timmins now.

(3) Players
Again, everyone loved this team in December, now everyone sucks. Now, I see posts bashing Koivu. That is crazy. This guy is the leader on the team. He is what he is..a 0.8 PPG player because he has a 10 game stretch every winter where he struggles. This team has so much youth in Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Latendresse etc...people, these players are only going to get better over the next 5 years but young players will struggle. But, it will only benefit them in the long haul. They have good veteran players to help them

(4) The Samsonov Fiasco
I, for one, liked getting a 27 yo skilled player on this team. It has not worked for a variety of reasons and I think the blame can be shared. Samsonov lately had appeared to have more zip out there, and was getting more chances. I think he won't be claimed meaning he will still be a Hab. And trading him will be tough with his salary and that Gainey won't want a bad salary coming back. So, hopefully, this will make all parties realize that it is everyone's best interests to make it work in Montreal. And, maybe, getting put on waivers will have the same affect on him as it did on Garth Murray.

Anyway, I know it is difficult to see our Habs struggle but I believe they will bounce back soon. We, as fans, need to be patient.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Courtnall6

Well said...I believe we will be ok. I am a firm believer of the "playoffs is a whole new season" statement. Even if we end up the 7th or 8th seed, its just a result of a very competitive conference. How many times do we see an 7th or 8th seed knock off a 1st or 2nd seed in the first round?

Courtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Good post!

Personally, i'm not panicking, i've seen this before with the Habs, there's something about the end of December/January with the Habs, it's like clockwork it always happens.

I'm 120% sure the team will turn it around shortly, the confidence level is low and I think they need a breakout game where guys like Koivu, Higgins, Ryder, etc breakout and I think that'll carry them through the season and into the playoffs.

I'm also sick of reading all the flip flopping posters who's mood change with every loss or win, it gets tired. The team isn't playing well right now, they're not getting the breaks, but that's the ebb and flow of the season, for the first couple of months the Habs could do no wrong, now things have changed. I think we should petition HF admins to give the Habs board a sub-board for all the bit***ng and whining.

Could the team stand to make a few changes? No doubt, any team can benefit from additions or substractions, but it comes down to you're best players being you're best players every night. I think we got that from our players for the first 40 games, the last 15 games haven't been as kind, but they'll turn it around. I'm convinced.

Habs fans through and through

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:26 AM
gusfring

I lost you after the "6 week slump" comment. When does it become clear the Habs aren't that good?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I lost you after the "6 week slump" comment. When does it become clear the Habs aren't that good?
Do you need to post this in every thread? Aren't there enough of them where this is more suitable?

GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Habs are 8-12-1 since December 21. That's not good at all. Personally, I think that Carbos big mistake was not putting Perez and Sammy in the top 2 lines, and showing some patience until they started clicking.
The only bright spots in this long slump has been Abbys play, and they are not being out shot badly these days. Lets get serious for a minute, we have Sammy and Perez sitting while Murray and Downey are playing. Yep, all the other teams are scared of us now

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Netro

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If Nittany doesn't think the Habs are that good, that his opinion. I guess then, is how does he define "not that good"

IMO, the Habs are exactly where I thought they would at this point of the season, which is, fighting to make the playoffs.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Do you need to post this in every thread? Aren't there enough of them where this is more suitable?

GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What other thread did I post this in?

Old
02-07-2007, 08:40 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If Nittany doesn't think the Habs are that good, that his opinion. I guess then, is how does he define "not that good"

IMO, the Habs are exactly where I thought they would at this point of the season, which is, fighting to make the playoffs.
At this point in the season, I would place them in the bottom half of the conference -soon to be in a non playoff position.

That, IMO, is not a good team.

I hope they turn it around and prove me wrong...

Old
02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
What this team needs is it's best players to be it's best players. This has not been the case for some time now.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Turbo

Quote:
At this point in the season, I would place them in the bottom half of the conference -soon to be in a non playoff position.

That, IMO, is not a good team.

I hope they turn it around and prove me wrong...
For some reason I took notice to your recent fly-by attacks on people for their outlook on the slide. You're certainly not the worst around here. It just irked me to see it once again in this thread. I don't think you were doing this previously so I'm just going to chalk it up to the frustration we all feel at this time but deal with in different ways.

Today, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Talk about burying your head in the sand...
Yesterday, 10:40 PM
Quote:
As opposed to what? Everything is great? Don't make a make for the sake of making a move?
02-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Yah, no worries...

I have no problem with your opinion because what you say is true - and I think people here are observant enough to notice the Habs have been sucking pretty badly on many levels for quite a while now. This is more of a slide than a slump, this is true. Irreversible though? Anything can happen.

Some of us just don't like to dwell on the past - we can look at it to learn from the mistakes but it can't be changed. It's more productive to find solutions for the present and future.

At this present point all is not lost because the Habs are still in a position of control over their destiny and can turn it around. It's precarious, but they have control. Why give up now? If it turns out bad, we can mourn when the Habs are truly down and dead. I'm depressed, but I'm not giving up on this team just yet.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
gusfring

Quote:
For some reason I took notice to your recent fly-by attacks on people for their outlook on the slide. You're certainly not the worst around here. It just irked me to see it once again in this thread. I don't think you were doing this previously so I'm just going to chalk it up to the frustration we all feel at this time but deal with in different ways.

Today, 08:59 AM

Yesterday, 10:40 PM

02-03-2007, 05:20 PM

I have no problem with your opinion because what you say is true - and I think people here are observant enough to notice the Habs have been sucking pretty badly on many levels for quite a while now. This is more of a slide than a slump, this is true. Irreversible though? Anything can happen.

Some of us just don't like to dwell on the past - we can look at it to learn from the mistakes but it can't be changed. It's more productive to find solutions for the present and future.

At this present point all is not lost because the Habs are still in a position of control over their destiny and can turn it around. It's precarious, but they have control. Why give up now? If it turns out bad, we can mourn when the Habs are truly down and dead. I'm depressed, but I'm not giving up on this team just yet.
The problem is this: if the team believes like many people here in that "It is just a slump", "there is plenty if time left to turn this around", then we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Right now this team is not very good. We should not go for help at the deadline - more so we should look to get assets for those players becoming UFA's.

The only guy I would try hard to re-sign is Markov. Rivet can go. Souray can go etc. Get something for them now if you can.

Time to re-tool. A first round matchup against Buffalo/Ott is a waste of time.

Again, this is only my opinion and I expect to get flamed because it is a negative assessment.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Darz

Quote:
The problem is this: if the team believes like many people here in that "It is just a slump", "there is plenty if time left to turn this around", then we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Right now this team is not very good. We should not go for help at the deadline - more so we should look to get assets for those players becoming UFA's.

The only guy I would try hard to re-sign is Markov. Rivet can go. Souray can go etc. Get something for them now if you can.

Again, this is only my opinion and I expect to get flamed because it is a negative assessment.
I respect your opinion, but I highly doubt anybody tied to the Montreal Canadiens is ready to give up on this year.

It a conference, when no team has been able to avoid fairly big slumps, I think the East is really up for grabs this year. I am not convinced that the habs couldn't beat Buffalo, New Jersey, Ottawa, Atlanta, Carolina, etc, in a 7 game series this spring. When clicking, I like alot of things I've seen from the habs this year, and truthfully if Kovy can up his game when the playoffs start, there is a chance we could be playing our best hockey when it really counts (not saying it will happen, but it's not absurd to think it could).

02-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Turbo

Quote:

So give-up and re-build? Again? I just don't think we're quite at that point just yet. If the slide continues for the next few weeks up to the deadline, I agree - Bob will have no choice. But mark my words, if it gets to that the rebuild will take a while again - 2-3 more years minimum, especially if many veterans are dropped. You don't have to look further than Boston, Chicago, Philly to see that building with UFAs doesn't work in the cap world.

Anyway, since the team is losing, I don't think Bob will go out and get a big name at a high price unless the team turns it around - what's the point if he doesn't think there's a chance to win in the playoffs? Maybe some minor moves to help out, no more - I really hope he doesn't tax the future to bring in a pending UFA if the team's going nowhere.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Habs are 8-12-1 since December 21. That's not good at all. Personally, I think that Carbos big mistake was not putting Perez and Sammy in the top 2 lines, and showing some patience until they started clicking.
The only bright spots in this long slump has been Abbys play, and they are not being out shot badly these days. Lets get serious for a minute, we have Sammy and Perez sitting while Murray and Downey are playing. Yep, all the other teams are scared of us now
Yet we're still in 4th place...there's something to be said for that.

It means the East is up for grabs this year, and despite the Habs struggling, they've been able to maintain home ice advantage thus far.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
gusfring

Quote:
So give-up and re-build? Again? I just don't think we're quite at that point just yet. If the slide continues for the next few weeks up to the deadline, I agree - Bob will have no choice. But mark my words, if it gets to that the rebuild will take a while again - 2-3 more years minimum, especially if many veterans are dropped. You don't have to look further than Boston, Chicago, Philly to see that building with UFAs doesn't work in the cap world.

Anyway, since the team is losing, I don't think Bob will go out and get a big name at a high price unless the team turns it around - what's the point if he doesn't think there's a chance to win in the playoffs? Maybe some minor moves to help out, no more - I really hope he doesn't tax the future to bring in a pending UFA if the team's going nowhere.
When did we ever actually try to rebuild? It's never even been tried by this organization because they are worried silly about looking bad and possibly losing their grasp on 21,273 every night.

I never mentioned anything about UFA's. I said they need to rid themselves of upcoming UFA's who can possibly still have value. Aside from Markov - who I think is a stud.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Yet we're still in 4th place...there's something to be said for that.

It means the East is up for grabs this year, and despite the Habs struggling, they've been able to maintain home ice advantage thus far.
Exactly. There is no team in the East that is playing way above everyone else. The only team that I think could shut everyone down in the playoffs is New Jersey but they blew it last year, so who knows. Right now the East is wide open.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think what bothers people is the lack of adjustment and some very questionable moves. If I went out on the street and told a Habs fan "yeah man, tomorrow night our first line will be Streit, Koivu, Johnson." They would think I was absolutely joking. Plus, we all see these other teams going out playing exciting hockey when we are not using our speed, which we thought was going to be the team's strength and main asset.. Well, it is, but we are not utilizing it, at all.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
habs86

vCash: 100
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
great post, thanks for puting things in a perspective that most ppl can understand. We as HABS fans tend to be jumpy at certin times of the year, and I for 1 am amongst them.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Geoffvp

Good post, but just because people are throwing criticisms out there doesn't mean people are jumping ship. Sure, some are, but I think it's fair to criticize Koivu's play and some of Carbonneau's decisions without saying that Koivu is a bad captain and that Carbo is a bad coach. I think a lot of people are throwing around constructive criticism and don't need to be accused of being bandwagon jumpers.

Geoffvp is offline   Reply With Quote