HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I think DRC and Phillips are the only two coming back. Maybe Beadles depending on the price. Rumors of mutual interest already for both Philips and DRC.

Decker's gone in my head. I think NE makes a play for him but he ends up in Tennessee, Dallas, or NY (partly based on his wife's career). Tennessee would honestly be perfect for him.

Bailey's gone too. They're going to cut him and save the $10M. I mean it's pretty much necessary and both parties have got to know it. It's just a question of whether Champ wants to stay and play for the minimum or not. Honestly I think he's a wasted roster spot. And I'd never put him at safety - his MO is that he always gets beat deep, so why would you put him back there of all places?

I'm expecting Fox to sign an extension, Del Rio to remain, and the Broncos will sign MJD in their biggest free agent move. I expect the draft outcome to be one receiver, one OL (if they don't get a mid level guy in FA), and the rest defense.
Pretty much agree on all points. Unfortunately, this an older team that's right up against the cap. The window is closing fast. I LOVE Champ, and would be happy to see him stay, but not at $10M; no re-structuring, that's exactly what this team needs to get away from. If he'll stick around for another go at a ring for $2M a year, great.

Sounds like an extension for Fox is all but set, which is too bad.

Old
02-04-2014, 01:20 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Pretty much agree on all points. Unfortunately, this an older team that's right up against the cap. The window is closing fast. I LOVE Champ, and would be happy to see him stay, but not at $10M; no re-structuring, that's exactly what this team needs to get away from. If he'll stick around for another go at a ring for $2M a year, great.

Sounds like an extension for Fox is all but set, which is too bad.
At 2M I'm fine with retaining Bailey too, but he needs to play slot receivers and only slot receivers. He can never be put outside again because he simply doesn't have the speed to contain these younger receivers deep. If a team doesn't utilize slot receivers, then it's simple: Bailey doesn't play. But I have too much love for Champ to see him not get a ring

Old
02-04-2014, 01:24 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
Champ needs to go. I really don't have any desire to see him contine playing.

Old
02-04-2014, 01:37 PM
AvsWraith

Anyone up for trading Von Miller, possibly for a good corner and safety? Get rid of the drug problem and off the field issues, and try to strengthen a completely awful secondary.

As for pass rushing issues, I don't think we are losing that much because with Dumervil gone, teams just double-teamed Von anyway, making him much less of a threat.

Old
02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Anyone up for trading Von Miller, possibly for a good corner and safety? Get rid of the drug problem and off the field issues, and try to strengthen a completely awful secondary.

As for pass rushing issues, I don't think we are losing that much because with Dumervil gone, teams just double-teamed Von anyway, making him much less of a threat.
Von is still worth a lot, hopefully he grows up a little after his disastrous offseason.

What killed the pass rush was Wolfe's still-yet-unknown illness and Ayers' injury. If we somehow get all three back at 100% we will have a good pass rush. Overall, the damned team just needs to stay healthy. It was ridiculous how much bad luck the Broncos had in that department.

Old
02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Champ needs to go. I really don't have any desire to see him contine playing.
Completely agree. In fact, I think they should jettison every CB on the roster, except DRC, Harris, and Webster.

Old
02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Von is still worth a lot, hopefully he grows up a little after his disastrous offseason.

What killed the pass rush was Wolfe's still-yet-unknown illness and Ayers' injury. If we somehow get all three back at 100% we will have a good pass rush. Overall, the damned team just needs to stay healthy. It was ridiculous how much bad luck the Broncos had in that department.
Von is still worth more to the Broncos than other teams. His being one toke from a year-long suspension and coming off a major knee injury hurts his return value from other teams. As for his growing up... I guess he still has a way to go after being caught on camera trying to get into the nightclub where the Seahawk players were celebrating kicking his teamates @$$3$ up and down the field to win their first Super Bowl answers that question.

Old
02-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
Von is still worth more to the Broncos than other teams. His being one toke from a year-long suspension and coming off a major knee injury hurts his return value from other teams. As for his growing up... I guess he still has a way to go after being caught on camera trying to get into the nightclub where the Seahawk players were celebrating kicking his teamates @$$3$ up and down the field to win their first Super Bowl answers that question.
What does that have to do with anything whatsoever? Mountain meet molehill.

Old
02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
It's amazing how the Fan can talk all about Football 24/7 for the past 2 months and then flip on a dime and discuss hockey all morning long today. It's like hockey hasn't existed until today.

Old
02-06-2014, 10:59 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

They did really? I didn't think that was even possible. I thought they'd be picking through the carcass for a few months and then start discussing the nfl draft.

Old
02-06-2014, 11:01 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
It's amazing how the Fan can talk all about Football 24/7 for the past 2 months and then flip on a dime and discuss hockey all morning long today. It's like hockey hasn't existed until today.
Well the Nuggets suck, and they have spent all week going through the Super Bowl... they need something to talk about for a few weeks until the combine and free agency.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
its a Football town. Besides, Sandy is a big Hockey guy. Expect the Fan to go back to Footbsll talk once Hastings and DMac/Big Al come on.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

The Avs made a HUGE mistake leaving The Fan, where they got plenty of coverage and on FM no less and embarked upon creating their own station. I remember getting so pissed that the signal was so weak I couldn't even listen in my car between my roller league games in Boulder.

I realize the radio situation is far better than it was, but it was just a dumb thing to do when there was no reason to do so.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:52 PM
CrimsonPuma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
The Avs made a HUGE mistake leaving The Fan, where they got plenty of coverage and on FM no less and embarked upon creating their own station. I remember getting so pissed that the signal was so weak I couldn't even listen in my car between my roller league games in Boulder.

I realize the radio situation is far better than it was, but it was just a dumb thing to do when there was no reason to do so.
I still cant hear the radio broadcast for the vast majority of my ride home from work... Makes these early evening games worse.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Boulder Avalanche
Pull the Goalie

Denver media is at least now focusing on the Avs more after the Super Bowl massacre. Wait we have a hockey team? One that is top 10 and very close to being top five. A team that has some of the most dynamic young players in the league and a rookie who is putting up one of the better rookie campaigns since Malkin. We better cover that instead of the news of Peyton taking a poop at a Walmart.

Old
02-07-2014, 08:37 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

You all will be happy to know JDR got his contract extended.

Heard the stuff on the radio yesterday. There was the Roy show and Sandy talking hockey for 30 minutes. The rest was hours of carcass picking. Still, better than it has been.

Old
02-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Bonzai12

If resigning JDR means MJD comes, I am the biggest fan.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:19 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

How can we afford MJD if we can't afford Knowshon?

Old
02-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
How can we afford MJD if we can't afford Knowshon?
For $10M, I'd rather have MJD than Champ Bailey or Knowshon, which means outright cutting Champ's $10M next year. I dunno where in the neighborhood MJD would sign for - $5 to $7M/year? I got to believe since Knowshon is 2 years younger he's going to get more than MJD. Who knows though. I just would hope MJD would structure his deal in the Broncos favor to work with Del Rio again and to play for a winner. I think it's a great fit if the financials could work.

Does anyone know when Champ's salary becomes guaranteed for the 2014 season? That's an interesting question to free agency.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Bonzai12

Hmmm found a great article on the payments due and what will probably happen this offseason:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...r-Broncos.html

Champ is due $1M of his 2014 on March 15th. That's probably going to be decision day.

Potential Cap Casualties:
Joel Dressen ($2.5M)
Chris Kuper ($4.0M)
Champ Bailey ($10.0M)

Old
02-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Throwing money at a soon to be 29 year old running back is stupid.

Old
02-07-2014, 12:26 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post

Not a chance, you don't trade a guy that has the skills to be the best defensive player in the league. He had a rough year, due to his off field crap and then getting hurt. I think we'll see a much more dedicated Von Miller next year, who will prove to be one of the premier defensive players again.

Pass rushers are much more important than corners or safeties. One of the main reasons Seattle is so good defensively is because they can bring pressure with four rushers and don't have to blitz. They only blitzed 6 times in the Super Bowl and were consistently getting pressure on PFM. Pass rushers make corners and safeties better. Look at Revis, he was widely considered the best corner in football, but that was on a very strong Jets defense, now he is on Tampa and is still a good corner but with a weaker pass rush he isn't as dominant as he used to be.

I think you nailed it better with your second statement, teams did just double team Von, thats why we need to improve our line not trade our best pass rusher. The Broncos have a player named Quanterus Smith who they drafted this year but was on IR all year due to a torn ACL suffered in college. He is a beast an could be our Dumervil replacement.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:39 PM
kapzk

There's no one player that I would trade Miller for straight up (well maybe JJ Watt or Aaron Rodgers) but you get the point, he is a top notch defensive player and big time play maker that forces turnovers which is one of big weaknesses on Defense. 0 turnovers on Defense in the playoffs!

The team needs a MLB first and then a safety to play along side a healthy Rahime Moore. Champ needs a paycut to stay on the team and we may need a depth CB as well.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Still think, even as well as Phillips played this year, Elway should have pulled the trigger on a deal for Jared Allen. Dude still has game. Would love to see the Broncos add him if he'll take a veteran discount. Stack him and Von on one side and Phillips on the other.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:30 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Still think, even as well as Phillips played this year, Elway should have pulled the trigger on a deal for Jared Allen. Dude still has game. Would love to see the Broncos add him if he'll take a veteran discount. Stack him and Von on one side and Phillips on the other.
Same here. Just don't know how he would have fit under the cap for us.

Closed Thread