HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much more will Stalock play?

Old
02-02-2014, 04:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
How much more will Stalock play?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/sta...s-playing-time

Kurz notes that Stalock's contract expires this summer, and unless he plays 30+ minutes in 14 or more games for the rest of the season, he'll become a Group VI **unrestricted** free agent, rather than a Group III restricted free agent.

So, how many more games will the Sharks play Stalock this season? Greiss may have been a Group VI UFA, but he did re-sign with Sharks.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Kurz notes that Stalock's contract expires this summer, and unless he plays 30+ minutes in 14 or more games for the rest of the season, he'll become a Group VI **unrestricted** free agent, rather than a Group III restricted free agent.

So, how many more games will the Sharks play Stalock this season? Greiss may have been a Group VI UFA, but he did re-sign with Sharks.
Highly doubtful that he gets that much game time for the rest of this year. However, I am pretty sure that he will re-sign with us.

02-02-2014, 05:43 PM
nabbyfan

14 More games is alot to expect this coaching staff to start Stalock...not saying he hasn't earned the game time, he certainly has, but looking at the schedule after the Olympic Break, its just hard to see more than :

1 of @PHL/@BUF Back to Back 2/27 and 2/28

1 or 2 Games in the span 3/2 to 3/11: 5 games. @NJD, Home v CAR, PIT, MTL, TOR

1 of @CBJ/@NYI 3/13 and 3/14

1 of @CGY/@EDM 3/24 and 3/25

1 of COL/@PHX 4/11 4/12.

Thats 6 games. Theres certainly spots on the schedule where if I was the coach I would throw Stalock in...but 14 games just won't happen unless Niemi gets pulled a bunch and Stalock gets some bonus time.

nabbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
WantonAbandon

Interesting... I actually think he will get 14 more games so long as the coaching staff is secure with their position.

One thing to to consider is the 14 games don't have to be starts.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:39 PM
hockeyball

The Sharks do not have any goalies close to NHL ready besides Stalock. It would be beyond stupid to let him walk. Assuming the Sharks are still doing well in the standings they should rest Niemi and put Stalock in every few games until he gets the required number.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:43 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 310
Quote:

So, he needs both the games and the minutes.
Could it be (7+) 60 minute games?
No way he plays in 14 more games this year.

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Bruinguru

As a outside observer, I can't help but say that it seems to me that Niemi's play started to fall off as soon as they announced that they planned to give him more days off, and then proceeded to do just that. when he was starting all the time he was virtually unbeatable. Maybe he's just the kind of guy that needs to play all the time...

As I'm a Bruin's fan and don't get to watch the Sharks all that much, can anybody comment on this?

Bruinguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinguru View Post
As a outside observer, I can't help but say that it seems to me that Niemi's play started to fall off as soon as they announced that they planned to give him more days off, and then proceeded to do just that. when he was starting all the time he was virtually unbeatable. Maybe he's just the kind of guy that needs to play all the time...

As I'm a Bruin's fan and don't get to watch the Sharks all that much, can anybody comment on this?
Sometimes it seems that way but it's a fine line because even in situations where he plays all the time and performs, he still eventually hits that fatigue wall and has his play quality drop considerably.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 12:54 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:

I don't know. He has had much more ups and down, and average or below average stretches this season as opposed to last season, but I think that has been pretty much the case the whole season. I didn't really notice any major drop off after they announced that they wanted to play Stalock more.

On the bright side I have really enjoyed watching Stalock play this year, and he has been more than a solid backup. His puck handling skills have also been a breath of fresh air, and I think rival some of the other top puck handling goalies in the league.

SharksFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

This is a pretty telling thing if the sharks actual see stalock as a starter or future starter or not. And also double edged sword.

The sharks play him the extra games to keep him a RFA or chance losing him via free agency. But also in playing him more games also raises up the amount of money that the sharks will need to pay to keep him.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 04:27 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
This is a pretty telling thing if the sharks actual see stalock as a starter or future starter or not. And also double edged sword.

The sharks play him the extra games to keep him a RFA or chance losing him via free agency. But also in playing him more games also raises up the amount of money that the sharks will need to pay to keep him.
ummm.... didn't thank about that, but that is probably true. The best thing the could do is to just give him an extension right now.

SharksFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 07:26 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:

This is more of a myth. At the end of the day he has started 47 of 58 games haven't looked at stats but he's probably near tops in the league in total minutes played. And I don't believe he has gone more then 5 days between games. So this makes no sense stalock doesn't even get consecutive starts

hockfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 08:51 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
This is more of a myth. At the end of the day he has started 47 of 58 games haven't looked at stats but he's probably near tops in the league in total minutes played. And I don't believe he has gone more then 5 days between games. So this makes no sense stalock doesn't even get consecutive starts
Too lazy to check further, but 47 is tied for most games started w/ Carey Price going into tonight's games.

drunksage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:17 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Stalock will be back, even if he hits Group VI. IIRC Greiss was Group VI'd a few seasons ago because he never got to play either. and he came back for a couple more years on a contract that was pretty much the same market value that he would've gotten as an RFA. Given that SJ doesn't have anyone else in the system ready to step into an NHL backup role, they'll give Stalock a couple of years at $700k and everyone's happy.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:41 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Stalock will be back, even if he hits Group VI. IIRC Greiss was Group VI'd a few seasons ago because he never got to play either. and he came back for a couple more years on a contract that was pretty much the same market value that he would've gotten as an RFA. Given that SJ doesn't have anyone else in the system ready to step into an NHL backup role, they'll give Stalock a couple of years at $700k and everyone's happy.
To be fair, I think Stalock might be more attractive to other teams than Greiss was. I also think we keep him either way, but I'd feel even better if he played 14 games.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I'm not sure there won't be higher offers than $700K if Stalock is a UFA...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2014, 10:14 PM
CrypTic

Quote:

Not that it matters much but I'm pretty sure that Stalock needs to play in 14 more regular season or playoff games as of now, not as of the date of the article (Feb. 2nd). I'm not sure where Kurz got the 26 game number; both capgeek and the CBA say that a player must play 28 games (>=30 min) in the NHL.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...ee-agency-work

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...A_2013_CBA.pdf (p. 29, Article 10.1(c) )

He played 29 min 47 sec. in his first NHL game in Feb. 2011. If only they'd put him in 20 sec. earlier.

I think/hope he'll re-sign with the Sharks but I'm sceptical about him playing 14 more (relatively) full games this season.

CrypTic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Lockout Season

DW should work on an extension over the break, then not have to worry about it.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:

That's true to an extent, but at the same time, it was clear he was getting overworked.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 10:33 PM
sharski

HCs when referring to a struggling starter: "we keep starting him because he plays better when he plays more... he's starting to find his game, which is an encouraging sign"

HCs when referring to a struggling backup: "we fully expect him to come in and start with little to no notice on an inconsistent schedule and play at a high level... having 3 weeks between starts is no excuse for not playing well"

lolwut

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote