HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

That's the season

Old
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
That's the season

Let's hope that this will have the same effect as when I said the series was over when Oilers went down 2-0 to San Jose.

Seriously though in my mind it came down to these two games, if the Oilers had won them I would jump on the bandwagon and think that yes they could do it but with tonights loss I believe the season is done (if the Oilers can prove me wrong, I will be happy to eat my words)

Will the Oilers become sellers? Sell what? Sykora, Nedved? Sure they might get a mid level draft pick. The Oilers are not going to trade Smyth because he is still a big part of their future.

Trade Lupul? Torres? Why? The idea is too trade when the value is high and buy when the value is low. Obviously Lowe is not the person that would be in the wrong end of that equation.

IMO the Oilers will be neither huge sellers or huge buyers. Unless Lowe can come up with a trade that hasn't been rumoured and will really shake up the roster, why bother? Conversely is their a player he can trade now that will really help them in the future? I believe the answer is no to both questions.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
mvprimate

We call both thess games must win against the canucks and lose both.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Jesus

I agree that this game was the season and I hope that the Oilers are sellers this season and I REALLY hope that we are not buyers.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Let's hope that this will have the same effect as when I said the series was over when Oilers went down 2-0 to San Jose.

Seriously though in my mind it came down to these two games, if the Oilers had won them I would jump on the bandwagon and think that yes they could do it but with tonights loss I believe the season is done (if the Oilers can prove me wrong, I will be happy to eat my words)

Will the Oilers become sellers? Sell what? Sykora, Nedved? Sure they might get a mid level draft pick. The Oilers are not going to trade Smyth because he is still a big part of their future.

Trade Lupul? Torres? Why? The idea is too trade when the value is high and buy when the value is low. Obviously Lowe is not the person that would be in the wrong end of that equation.

IMO the Oilers will be neither huge sellers or huge buyers. Unless Lowe can come up with a trade that hasn't been rumoured and will really shake up the roster, why bother? Conversely is their a player he can trade now that will really help them in the future? I believe the answer is no to both questions.
Yeah I agree we will not be big sellers. I could see a few players moving (Sykora, Tjarnqvist(?), possibly Jussi (though I would not complain about bringing him back for 1 more year unless JDD is definitely ready) etc... for depth down the stretch and in the playoffs for other teams. I would think Lowe would want to bring in a long term solution top 4 D to help solidify things going forward. Though I am thinking he may wait for that until the draft / Summer.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I feel the same way as well. This was a good step in the right direction but right now we need a serious streak to get back in the running.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hemsky4PM

The Oilers could probably get a guy like Ryan Parent or Cody Franson from Nashville for Jason Smith. That would be a smart move IMO.

Why is every game "the season"? It's still not too late, but it's pretty certain that by the deadline the picture will be in firm focus.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah I agree we will not be big sellers. I could see a few players moving (Sykora, Tjarnqvist(?), possibly Jussi (though I would not complain about bringing him back for 1 more year unless JDD is definitely ready) etc... for depth down the stretch and in the playoffs for other teams. I would think Lowe would want to bring in a long term solution top 4 D to help solidify things going forward. Though I am thinking he may wait for that until the draft / Summer.
Thank you I forgot about Tjarnqvist but again what return will we get for him? His season has been injury prone but because he is a dman he might have a little return.

I see Lowe doing little unless he REALLY makes a trade that surprises me but I just don't see it happening.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The Oilers could probably get a guy like Ryan Parent or Cody Franson from Nashville for Jason Smith. That would be a smart move IMO.

Why is every game "the season"? It's still not too late, but it's pretty certain that by the deadline the picture will be in firm focus.
That was my decision on when I would decide the season is over and I hope I am wrong but I certainly am not going to disagree that the Oilers with a run could still make it, I just have my doubts that this team can make that run.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

Maybe because the team has been playing that same pathetic brand of hockey for the past 2 months and getting no where in the standings?

In all honesty, and I do not mean to single you out or anything, but do you really believe that this SAME group of players that have been underperforming for most of the season will all of a sudden start playing amazing hockey that they have yet to play ALL season long?

I really do not see any sign of hope from the Oilers play that makes me think that FINALLY after 2 months of complete suckage they can turn it around.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:49 PM
OILFAN #81

As I said, i'm as frustrated as every other Oiler fan on here. It sucks seeing the Oilers playing like this. But really, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. The Canucks and Flames are both alot better teams then we are. I think we are lucky to be only 6 back of Minnesota at the moment. It's been a tough season with way too many passengers on this team. A group of about 8-10 guys show alot of heart every night where 8-10 just don't seem like they care and then 4-5 just are bad at hockey and it wouldn't make a difference. I'd trade Sykora as he is a UFA and would try to get a pick/prospect for him as I don't think he will be brought back next year unless he takes a paycut on his 2.9 M salary. Use the money to sign Smyth to a deal and sign whoever else needs to be. Lupul has been sucking alot but has played better and i'd keep him.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
??? -?????- Lupul
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini

I'd trade Sykora, lose Nedved next year. We need a couple players who can play on that 2nd line. Who I don't know.

????-Smith
Staios-????
Smid-Greene
Hejda

We clearly need a top unit dman, that's a given. I'd lose MAB as well as Tjarnqvist.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
That was my decision on when I would decide the season is over and I hope I am wrong but I certainly am not going to disagree that the Oilers with a run could still make it, I just have my doubts that this team can make that run.
Oh yeah him and Nedved would get next to nothing. But if we truly get out of it, might as well move them and bring up Brodziak, MAP, Schremp, Roy, Gilbert or whoever deserves it and play the heck out of them.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:04 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Oh yeah him and Nedved would get next to nothing. But if we truly get out of it, might as well move them and bring up Brodziak, MAP, Schremp, Roy, Gilbert or whoever deserves it and play the heck out of them.
I would agree, get the return you can and play the kids (though I believe Lowe doesn't share YET my thoughts that the season is over).

Old
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
jadeddog

yup this season is all but done (has been for a while really, if we're honest with ourselves).... i told my pops going into last night that if we win we'll have about a 40% chance of making the playoffs, but if we lost it'll more like 5-10% .... well we lost and now more than likely wont make the playoffs

as others have said though, we dont deserve to be in the playoffs at all anyhow .... our team really isnt any good at all.... we cant win any big games, and havent for a couple months now

i simply cannot see how lowe doesnt become a seller at this point and get rid of sykora and tjarnqvist for picks/prospects.... i dont think you get rid of smith though, as hes still a serviceable dman for the 1.9 million hes making .... its time to sell lowe... also, call some more rookies up from the farm and let them get some game experience.... this will let the coaching staff get a better idea as to which players are gonna actually turn out to *be* players in this league from the MAP, JFJ, winchester, thoresen, gilbert, roy and brodziak group

we are officially in next year country (IMO we have been for almost 2 months now, but now i dont think an argument could be made against it)

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:10 AM
OntOilFan

Season was over after the Oilers lost 6-2 to Vancouver over Christmas.

I was there and I witnessed the ugliest effort and most disgusting hockey game I've seen from this team in my 25 years.

Right then, I knew this team wasn't long for post-season play. They just do not have it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Wolfpack

I was at the game last night and I can't remember the last time I left Rexall so disappointed. That was the season right there.

I can only hope that Lowe is smart enough to NOT try a late hour desperation trade, because there is nothing that is going to get his team into the playoffs. Any trades he makes before the trade deadline now need to be done to improve this team for NEXT year, NOT this year. And I am all for taking a better look at some of the players in the minors like MAP, Gilbert, etc.

As an aside, there were a lot of Oilers that had poor games last night, but I have had it with Horcoff. I know he scored a goal, but he had to have been responsible for a dozen turnovers... I don't know or care what the official stats say. I just know that I saw the play die on his stick more than any other player. Sykora also had an awful game - he is so weak on the boards it is just brutal. Same for Nedved.

Overall, this is the softest Oilers team I have seen in recent memory. Even after Stortini knocked that d-man out of the game, the Oil had no idea how to assert their physical game on the Canucks, who basically embarassed the Oilers in their own building.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Season was over after the Oilers lost 6-2 to Vancouver over Christmas.

I was there and I witnessed the ugliest effort and most disgusting hockey game I've seen from this team in my 25 years.

Right then, I knew this team wasn't long for post-season play. They just do not have it.
It's becoming quite apparent that you, and many others, didn't see the Oilers of the middle 90's. Having season tickets to the 92-93 season...Now that was ugly.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:51 PM
AM

Oh yee of little faith...

the difference in the game last night was officiating.

Theres little doubt the Oilers can make the playoffs but they are going to have to steal themselves to making it against the odds.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

and this coming from our newest mod

tisk tisk tisk

ye of little faith

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:04 PM
lopper

vCash: 50
Can everyone hear that noise. Its the thud of everyone jumping off the bandwagon. Sure we may not make the playoffs this year but we have a great young core to build around for a few years to come, so that much like last year we can raise some hell come playoff time in the next few seasons. The Oilers can use this season to evaluate which holes they need to fill for next year to try to become a contender.

We cannot help that Pronger basically screwed our team this year as far as demanding a trade and now everyone can appreciate what a player of his stature can mean between a team almost winning a cup and not even making the playoffs.
We cannot afford to get in panic mode this year and trade off young assets to get rental players, squeak into the playoffs and then lose in the 1st round. Patience is the key and hopefully Lowe will make some changes to the roster for next season.

Just have to continue to cheer and support our Oilers and at least hope for 100% effort in games as the season comes to a close in the next two and a half months.

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:32 PM
edm_oilers

Throwing in the towel so soon boys!? Come on were better then this we gotta keep some hope for our boys, yea things are looking down for us but when have they not been? We have always been the underdog in the NHL and by the looks of things will remain that way for now we just gotta keep our hopes up!

edm_oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
hockeyaddict101

No one is going to stop cheering for the Oil.

I may not think they are going to make it but I will continue to cheer, hope that Lowe surprises me with a great deal and ultimately hope I have to eat my words.

How I hope I am wrong!

Old
02-08-2007, 12:03 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
No one is going to stop cheering for the Oil.

I may not think they are going to make it but I will continue to cheer, hope that Lowe surprises me with a great deal and ultimately hope I have to eat my words.

How I hope I am wrong!
That about sums it up for me as well.
As I look at the season so far I honestly can't pick out a segement of time where this team looked like it was coming around. A big part of that is due to the lack of talent/experience on defence. If Lowe does nothing this team is done...IMO 50+ games is a big enough sample to conclude that this team just doesn't have the personnel to make the playoffs. If however Lowe brings in at least 1 top 4 dman (and Moreau is back by late February) then I see this team still having a slim chance.
I too hope I am wrong.
Whatever the scenario I will continue to cheer on this team just as I have for the last 25+ years.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote