HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Torts Goes Hulk Mode

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2014, 11:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Seems everyone is beating Anaheim at home now.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Sorry if this was already posted but fits the thread title:

I'm an idiot and can't figure out youtube embeds.

Last edited by dustrock: 02-06-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old
02-06-2014, 06:42 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Sorry if this was already posted but fits the thread title:

I'm an idiot and can't figure out youtube embeds.
To embed Youtube clips take the series of random letters and numbers in the youtube video's URL and put that in between the [YT ] [/YT ] In this case it's LprzxFAoH9w

Old
02-06-2014, 09:37 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
sort of liking the canucks 5 game losing streak and their "retooling" but not willing to actually give up anything good to get something good back discussion or giving up kesler and getting three top liners back

Old
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Slats432

Not even thread worthy but Omark on waivers via Sabres twitter.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
40oz

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/431828625554698240

Quote:
Penguins defenseman Kris Letang will miss at least six weeks after having a stroke last week
Wow, that's just awful.

Old
02-07-2014, 11:22 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Not even thread worthy but Omark on waivers via Sabres twitter.
We should pick him up

And I just read the Letang thing - I'm beyond shocked - what the hell??

Old
02-07-2014, 01:20 PM
yukoner88

Flyers owner ripped Team Canada today for picking St. Louis over Giroux, calling their management a farce.

Stay classy Philadelphia.

Old
02-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Flyers owner ripped Team Canada today for picking St. Louis over Giroux, calling their management a farce.

Stay classy Philadelphia.
My own personal experience with Flyers fans was in their arena when I was on the road and took in a game.

They were playing the Devils and a couple of Devils fans were standing and cheering whenever the Devils scored/made a big play.

At one point everyone in their section started a Maaarrrttyyy type of chant pointing at them with the word a-hole. Then the entire building joined in.

I felt for the Devils fans having 18,000 fans pointing at them call them buttholes.

Stay classy Flyers indeed. LOL

Old
02-08-2014, 01:41 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

So Letang had a stroke…holy.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Rafters

Oh man have the Canucks gone spiralling down the drain this year.....likely to miss the playoffs

Old
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
My own personal experience with Flyers fans was in their arena when I was on the road and took in a game.

They were playing the Devils and a couple of Devils fans were standing and cheering whenever the Devils scored/made a big play.

At one point everyone in their section started a Maaarrrttyyy type of chant pointing at them with the word a-hole. Then the entire building joined in.

I felt for the Devils fans having 18,000 fans pointing at them call them buttholes.

Stay classy Flyers indeed. LOL
Flyers and Devs fans have a bit of a history...take this little interaction from a playoff game in 2000:

Pretty much says it all.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:50 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Oh man have the Canucks gone spiralling down the drain this year.....likely to miss the playoffs
Loving every second of this meltdown.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

That's seven losses in a row.

Burrows pulled Kessel's hair in their scrum tonight.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:12 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Didn't truly hate the Canucks until they got Kassian. Tonnes of respect for the Sedin twins, absolute monsters, and I've loved Luongo since NYI. When they traded Hodgson for Kassian, I voiced my concern quite actively that they were trading a good (if not great) piece in a knee-jerk attempt to play the game Boston played - depth down the middle would have meant more for them than any "grit" concerns. Have had to hear lip from every Canuck fan on how they won that trade, and that Kassian is simply a superior NHL player, or will be, or whatever.

And now?

These tears are delicious.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:22 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
They have some key injuries, but are on a steady decline. I think missing the playoffs is better for them because it will motivate it them to shake the team up. Making the playoffs would give Gillis a glimmer of hope

Those Sedin contracts are going to crush the team tho. Its going to be tough to find a team to take on both contracts. The Sedins are also mirror images of eachother, so if one slows down, both will.

Playing arm chair GM of the Canucks: I would trade the Sedins asap to a team like the Islanders looking for immediate help. In return get some good prospects (De haan, maybe Reinhart), use that cap space to sign some good FAs (25-29), try and get ROR, build a team around Kesler,Edler, Reinhart, Horvat, ROR,Lack

Old
02-08-2014, 09:01 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
They have some key injuries, but are on a steady decline. I think missing the playoffs is better for them because it will motivate it them to shake the team up. Making the playoffs would give Gillis a glimmer of hope

Those Sedin contracts are going to crush the team tho. Its going to be tough to find a team to take on both contracts. The Sedins are also mirror images of eachother, so if one slows down, both will.

Playing arm chair GM of the Canucks: I would trade the Sedins asap to a team like the Islanders looking for immediate help. In return get some good prospects (De haan, maybe Reinhart), use that cap space to sign some good FAs (25-29), try and get ROR, build a team around Kesler,Edler, Reinhart, Horvat, ROR,Lack
I like that suggestion, this is why I haven't been on the bandwagon of others drafting swedes... no offense to the country, fans, or anyone but it just takes so long to actually get fully developed players, and they don't make fast transitions. For how long it took Daniel and Henrik to get acclimated to the North American game, it was wasted time.

I know I rag on people for saying you have a limited time in there case it was true you should try win when your core is in its mid-late 20's (or at least go for it) Vancouver didn't get to the finals till that point. Years ago you could have an older veteran team, and you still can if you have guys who can dominate late into there careers (Neidermeyer, Pronger), (Hasek), (Jagr, Selanne) but the fact remains those are anomaly's. You are right though they must get something for the Sedin's and/or Kesler and do what San Jose did a few years ago and go into a partial rebuild.

As for the trade for Kassian (Hodgson) i feel this is something Oiler management would be doing, being followers, and not having there own template. Teams like Vancouver (in SCF) played down to their strengths. If they would have kept Hodgson they could have followed a Chicago template and played to skill and finesse. Now when I see the team, they have little factions of grit, little areas of skill, still antagonism but not important at this point, and there just elements of a little bit of everything that doesn't add up.

Old
02-08-2014, 11:34 PM
jeremywilhelm

Olivier Roy is killing it in the AHL since he was called up. FYI. But Smid has been terrible. No wonder MacT wanted him gone. The guy is struggling in the 6 spot in the Flames rotation.

I think I would rather have Horak and Broissoit than Smid and Roy.

So kudos MacT.

Old
02-09-2014, 01:08 AM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Olivier Roy is killing it in the AHL since he was called up. FYI. But Smid has been terrible. No wonder MacT wanted him gone. The guy is struggling in the 6 spot in the Flames rotation.

So kudos MacT.
how is smid struggling? holding down the PK with gio and keeping SOB/AHLers off the flames bottom pairing.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:23 AM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
how is smid struggling? holding down the PK with gio and keeping SOB/AHLers off the flames bottom pairing.
He is the teams 6th dman and is regularly getting outchanced at 5v5. He struggles at moving the puck and has been a disaster in all three zones.

The guy is paid like a 3/4 dman, and plays like a 7.

He could be replaced by one of the farm kids at this point and it wouldnt impact the game in the slightest.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:33 AM
topchowda

Quote:

So kudos MacT.
Marincin has stepped in and looked much better than Smid, so I don't think that trade hurt us this year at all. Plus marincin makes .850 m doing a better job then smid making 3.5 m. The biggest thing about the trade was the cap relief, hopefully we use it to sign nikitin, or make a Perron like trade.

Smid has been in free fall since his great 2011 season, sucks to see as he was my favorite oiler

Old
02-09-2014, 01:49 PM
HOCKEY IQ

Send a message via ICQ to HOCKEY IQ
Quote:
He is the teams 6th dman
Yeah, defensive depth is a real cool thing! As for Smid being paid a lot, that doesn't really matter since the Flames aren't up to the cap or anything!

Old
02-10-2014, 09:00 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Marincin has stepped in and looked much better than Smid, so I don't think that trade hurt us this year at all. Plus marincin makes .850 m doing a better job then smid making 3.5 m. The biggest thing about the trade was the cap relief, hopefully we use it to sign nikitin, or make a Perron like trade.

Smid has been in free fall since his great 2011 season, sucks to see as he was my favorite oiler
Smid is so up and down. Won't shock me to see him being a legit #3 next year, but then get traded at the trade deadline and fall back down again.

Old
02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

In a perfect world all the Canadian teams miss the playoffs.

Old
02-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Smid is so up and down. Won't shock me to see him being a legit #3 next year, but then get traded at the trade deadline and fall back down again.
Really? I'll eat my hat if this happens.

Closed Thread