HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bare bones edition 2.8.14: Ducks @ Preds

Old
02-08-2014, 11:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Weber a minus 2!!!11!1!1!1

Weber was fantastic tonight. +/- is the worst stat ever.
As usual, you're the only one talking about +/-. Carry on.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 11:28 PM
NorthAlPredfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
We don't have anyone with a scorers' instinct for the puck. Rebounds galore and can't corral one to save our lives. A few missed calls didn't help. Couldn't bury the chances we had. At least we are getting a break from the mediocrity for a couple of weeks.
I think a break from the mediocrity would be to get rid of Trotz

NorthAlPredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
As usual, you're the only one talking about +/-. Carry on.
Oh please. We only have to look at every thread on these boards to hear your spiel about +/-.

I'm pointing out again how a meaningless stat portrays Weber as being a negative defensively when he was fantastic all game long. Empty net goal and a Josi fluke redirected pass were the two goals against. Unfortunate.

The Wilson line looked good. Stalberg earned his goal on that shift. Great job by that line on the 1st goal.

02-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Kamikazepants

Perry had a nice knee on knee (or at least attempted to) on Borque of all players. Easy why to see he's generally thought of as a t**t.

Kamikazepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:09 AM
trotzian brow

what's with preds/ducks games and own goals?

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:25 AM
AEM6729

Kinda disappointed in the party line for this one: consensus from Trotz seems to be that we played awesome, they got lucky bounces, and he'll be thrilled if we play like that all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we played well. It was an entertaining game and I was impressed with our level of play. But I also think it's wrong to write this loss off on lucky bounces. It's not luck when the other team's top line has you scrambling around playing goalie and creates a good bounce in the process; that is talent creating chances. The story of this game wasn't the "lucky bounces", it was the fact that the Ducks have a line of dominant forwards who can take control of a shift (no matter how the momentum of the game has been going) and use their talent to make things happen, and we do not.

It's frustrating to hear the organization so willing to write things off on luck. The guy next to me kept saying that you can't put a mule up against a thoroughbred and expect him to win, and he's right. The mule will run his ass off for you, but he's just not going to win. If the organization can't see that, we're in for a long future of the same old stuff.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:36 AM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Kinda disappointed in the party line for this one: consensus from Trotz seems to be that we played awesome, they got lucky bounces, and he'll be thrilled if we play like that all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we played well. It was an entertaining game and I was impressed with our level of play. But I also think it's wrong to write this loss off on lucky bounces. It's not luck when the other team's top line has you scrambling around playing goalie and creates a good bounce in the process; that is talent creating chances. The story of this game wasn't the "lucky bounces", it was the fact that the Ducks have a line of dominant forwards who can take control of a shift (no matter how the momentum of the game has been going) and use their talent to make things happen, and we do not.

It's frustrating to hear the organization so willing to write things off on luck. The guy next to me kept saying that you can't put a mule up against a thoroughbred and expect him to win, and he's right. The mule will run his ass off for you, but he's just not going to win. If the organization can't see that, we're in for a long future of the same old stuff.
Yes the Anaheim Ducks had some bounces go their way with the puck going off the Preds players stick or skates but I wouldn't call it luck as the reasons they were getting those bounces was because the Ducks were creating pressure and had our players scrambling like crazy the whole game. The Ducks were definitely the better team tonight and desire the won. They just looked better and had better finishers. Until we can get better players, it's going to probably be more of the same.

Last edited by klt2001: 02-09-2014 at 12:41 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:42 AM
INDhockeyfan

Ducks are one of the best teams in the league right now. Even with the loss we are still only 4 pts out of the playoffs as Jets lost, Vancouver lost again, and Dallas beat Phoenix. We didn't play that badly just got beat by a way better team.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 01:33 AM
RomanEmpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
Yes the Anaheim Ducks had some bounces go their way with the puck going off the Preds players stick or skates but I wouldn't call it luck as the reasons they were getting those bounces was because the Ducks were creating pressure and had our players scrambling like crazy the whole game. The Ducks were definitely the better team tonight and desire the won. They just looked better and had better finishers. Until we can get better players, it's going to probably be more of the same.

I really don't think we watched the same game. Ducks had us scrambling around all game? Is that a joke? The Getzlaf goal was a fluke he threw towards the net from the side wall..hardly because they were getting tons of pressure.

We outshot them 38-24 & Hiller made multiple saves where we got off 3-4 shots in tight & he ended up laying down sprawling in his crease.

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:04 AM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
I really don't think we watched the same game. Ducks had us scrambling around all game? Is that a joke? The Getzlaf goal was a fluke he threw towards the net from the side wall..hardly because they were getting tons of pressure.

We outshot them 38-24 & Hiller made multiple saves where we got off 3-4 shots in tight & he ended up laying down sprawling in his crease.
So does that explain the other goals they scored on us? They had enough pressure on us that our players made mistakes trying to stop the puck or keep the puck from our net...only to still see it go in our net. Not saying we didn't play well or hard as we did. They were just the better overall team tonight. We may have outshot them but imo our shots weren't really impressive or threatening as they were able to stop them and nothing really came out of those shots compared to theirs on us. At the end of the day, they were able to capitalize on their shots and we weren't. We just didn't play our best game. Even though we played a good game, we made errors that costed us and weren't able to capitalize on our chances while they were.

Last edited by klt2001: 02-09-2014 at 02:43 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
So does that explain the other goals they scored on us? They had enough pressure on us that our players made mistakes trying to stop the puck or keep the puck from our net...only to still see it go in our net. Not saying we didn't play well or hard as we did. They were just the better overall team tonight. We may have outshot them but imo our shots weren't really impressive or threatening as they were able to stop them and nothing really came out of those shots compared to theirs on us. At the end of the day, they were able to capitalize on their shots and we weren't. We just didn't play our best game. Even though we played a good game, we made errors that costed us and weren't able to capitalize on our chances while they were.
I really don't think we watched the same game. First one was an odd bounce from some crazy angle that wasn't even really a shot. Second was on the PP, we are supposed to be scrambling a little bit. 3rd is a legit goal on their part, with the 4th being Ellis, well I'm not sure what he did but it wasn't good. 5th empty netter.

So really of the 5 goals, all of them were either some weird bounce or just gift wrapped except one.

Anaheim didn't play all that well, Hiller pretty much kept it close in the first. Guys were all over the net, with really good pressure all night. Sure some of them were the typical in the pads/chest stuff but some were pretty dang good saves on Hiller's part. They basically earned one goal all night, the rest were either crazy bounces or Ellis's just horrid play and an empty netter.

I've watched a ton of Preds hockey over the years and this may be one of the more frustrating losses I've ever seen. If there ever was a game the coach could say what he did it was this one, most of the time its just BS.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:54 AM
torero

This game could have gone the other way.

Bounces obviously played a role
Hutton didn't play badly ... but Rine should/would have made the difference ... as did Hiller on the other side.

It was a great game played by the Preds. With other circumstances we should/could/would have won it.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:20 AM
MrMariusz

Im not upset about this loss. Any time you play a league leader, you know you might simply lose. The effort was good, the bounces were not.

4 points out of a playoff spot and Rinne is expected to be back before the end of February as far as I can tell. No reason why we shouldnt make the playoffs.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post

Exactly- this x 10,000,000.

The reactions on this board are just comedy gold.

If ANYONE watched this game and thinks Anaheim outplayed the Preds, you should find another sport to watch.

I especially love the comment that Anaheim's goals weren't lucky- "they got them because they have skilled players who know how to finish".

That is crap- the first two goals were PURE LUCK, period.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
bdub24

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
Im not upset about this loss. Any time you play a league leader, you know you might simply lose. The effort was good, the bounces were not.

4 points out of a playoff spot and Rinne is expected to be back before the end of February as far as I can tell. No reason why we shouldnt make the playoffs.
Rinne can not get back and get back to form quickly enough for me. Just not sure I believe it will happen before April (and only if we are in some kind of real contention for a wildcard spot). Otherwise, whats the point of rushing him back this season?

bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 05:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Exactly- this x 10,000,000.

The reactions on this board are just comedy gold.

If ANYONE watched this game and thinks Anaheim outplayed the Preds, you should find another sport to watch.

I especially love the comment that Anaheim's goals weren't lucky- "they got them because they have skilled players who know how to finish".

That is crap- the first two goals were PURE LUCK, period.
They are such great finishers that they score without attempting a shot ... that can't be luck.

Old
02-11-2014, 04:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hutton should have stopped Josi's goal

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 05:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Everyone in attendance should have received a Frosty. The Preds scored four goals ... sure, two were past their own goalie ... but they did score four.