HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

About Nylander...

Old
02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
TheZherdev

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
No I was comparing him to Jagr. Jagr is a goal scoring force...Nylander is a playmaker
which is exactly why they work well together... those guys that score goals (jagr) need guys that can open him up space and feed him the puck (Nylander). Do you have any cocnept of hockey than just fighting and shooting the puck? the game is much more complex than that. Its very rare to find a line that has good chemistry as the straka-nylander-jagr line. Sure you can put in a Marc Savard or a Peter Forsberg in his place on any depth chart, but that is needless to say they will benefit that line any better than nylander has.

Nylander doesnt shoot the puck enough, agreed. But he makes up in areas such as puck control and passing ability (two very essential abilities for a top line center to have).

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:24 AM
johnny_rudeboy

First you (True Blue Bleed Blue) say he doesnt go infront of the net often enough and never battles for the puck, then you say he score mostly tap ins and what does tha come from? Yoah, being infront of the net. Nylander isnt your regulare though guy, that is true. But he aint affraid of the traffic in front of the net. Have a look at the link below where all Nylanders goals from this season can be seen. Some of them come from close range where both he and a defender/goalie ends up in the net, some after a nice deke and some from a brilliant pass from Jagr where he just have to push it in. The way it works between the two of them.

I must admit that I for a long time wasnt Nylanders biggest fan since I thougt he took shifts off in big games when playing for Sweden. But what I have learnt is that some of the coaches didnt trust him enough so they didnt gave him the confidence he needed. All players need confidence but Nylanders needs it more then any one it seems. So he was missused and tried to over do everything. Now with Jagr he really have put his act togheter and play some of the best hockey in his life. And you cant applaud him for it?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...58573&tab=vidt

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I must admit that I for a long time wasnt Nylanders biggest fan since I thougt he took shifts off in big games when playing for Sweden. But what I have learnt is that some of the coaches didnt trust him enough so they didnt gave him the confidence he needed. All players need confidence but Nylanders needs it more then any one it seems. So he was missused and tried to over do everything.
Great point!

Nylander plays with extremely small marginals. When he have a bad night, it looks awful, cause nothing works.

Its defenitly a "flaw" to play with that small marginals, and not beeing able to change style when you have a bad night, and find other ways to contribute. I am a big fan of Nylander but I've always pointed that out as a big weakness that he got.

But if you want him on your team, you better be prepaired to let him play through it. The first coach who did that was actually Sutter in Chicago...

More then anything else, I love how devoted he is off ice.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Chimp

I always love guys who contradict themselves when trying to make arguments.

Nylander doesn't shoot, yet he has taken 3 more shots than Straka. Ergo sum, let's dump Straka as well then. Nylander avoids traffic, yet still he somehow makes most of his goals on tap ins, rebounds, etc in traffic. Nylander is slow and can't skate, yet still he's somehow able to shake off practically any defenseman that tries to follow him on his spin moves. Marc Savard - a very good playmaker - has 18 goals so far this season, just as many as Nylander. I guess you would never want to see Marc Savard on this team.

Let's complain Nylander isn't a legit 1st line center. We don't have a 1st line center, so let's dump him? Grreeeat logic. Nylander is one of the most valuable players this team has. With valuable, I mean you get so much value for his salary. Nylander $2.2 milllion, Malik $2.5 million. See the difference? Even if Nylander gets a raise to about $3-3.2 million, he's worth it.

People complains Nylander is too much west-east instead of north-south. Well guess what, the playmaker with the puck isn't necessarily the north-south guy, it's the guy who is about to get the puck. Complaints about that Nylander swirls around the boards, deep in the zone? Well, guess what, do you know which area is the best to lose the puck to maximize your chances of forming a successful defense or hustle it back? Deep in the offensive zone along the boards. Playing along the boards also makes the coverage of the puck alot easier. That means Nylander knows more about hockey than you do.

Guess who I trust the most to make the right decision? The "shoot the frigging puck!" chanting fan, or the player?

Last edited by Chimp: 02-08-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Let's complain Nylander isn't a legit 1st line center. We don't have a 1st line center, so let's dump him? Grreeeat logic. Nylander is one of the most valuable players this team has. With valuable, I mean you get so much value for his salary. Nylander $2.2 milllion, Malik $2.5 million. See the difference? Even if Nylander gets a raise to about $3-3.2 million, he's worth it.
It's the term,not the money

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
which is exactly why they work well together... those guys that score goals (jagr) need guys that can open him up space and feed him the puck (Nylander). Do you have any cocnept of hockey than just fighting and shooting the puck? the game is much more complex than that. Its very rare to find a line that has good chemistry as the straka-nylander-jagr line. Sure you can put in a Marc Savard or a Peter Forsberg in his place on any depth chart, but that is needless to say they will benefit that line any better than nylander has.

Nylander doesnt shoot the puck enough, agreed. But he makes up in areas such as puck control and passing ability (two very essential abilities for a top line center to have).
I've always been told not to judge people's knowledge for the game....so I'll start by telling you...don't begin by guessing my knowledge of hockey. Moving on...I never denied that they work well together....but I simply don't like Nylander's game. He's old....and I mentioned everything else. Yes....he's a great passer...but why don't I just say it like this...

We can upgrade there this off-season

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:10 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
First you (True Blue Bleed Blue) say he doesnt go infront of the net often enough and never battles for the puck, then you say he score mostly tap ins and what does tha come from? Yoah, being infront of the net. Nylander isnt your regulare though guy, that is true. But he aint affraid of the traffic in front of the net. Have a look at the link below where all Nylanders goals from this season can be seen. Some of them come from close range where both he and a defender/goalie ends up in the net, some after a nice deke and some from a brilliant pass from Jagr where he just have to push it in. The way it works between the two of them.

I must admit that I for a long time wasnt Nylanders biggest fan since I thougt he took shifts off in big games when playing for Sweden. But what I have learnt is that some of the coaches didnt trust him enough so they didnt gave him the confidence he needed. All players need confidence but Nylanders needs it more then any one it seems. So he was missused and tried to over do everything. Now with Jagr he really have put his act togheter and play some of the best hockey in his life. And you cant applaud him for it?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...58573&tab=vidt

Right he's somewhat of a shifty player who finds a way to get in front but... you know he doesn't get dirty...battle in the corners or in front...or finish any checks. Gionta does that...Prucha does that....Knuble does that. Nylander does not

Old
02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Mason530

Move him when the value is high. Same for Straka. Although the club added one more year, we should really treat like it never happened and move him.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Right he's somewhat of a shifty player who finds a way to get in front but... you know he doesn't get dirty...battle in the corners or in front...or finish any checks. Gionta does that...Prucha does that....Knuble does that. Nylander does not
theres a difference between scoring line players and checking line players. There will be exceptions like a gionta or an iginla, but that is usually the two different themes in hockey. You think we can get a better player than nylander, your absolutely right. Will that player adapt to jagr's playing style as well as nylander, well thats just a guessing game. Dont fix what aint broken. Keep nylander and find someone to fill that 2nd line center role. thats our priority.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
theres a difference between scoring line players and checking line players. There will be exceptions like a gionta or an iginla, but that is usually the two different themes in hockey. You think we can get a better player than nylander, your absolutely right. Will that player adapt to jagr's playing style as well as nylander, well thats just a guessing game. Dont fix what aint broken. Keep nylander and find someone to fill that 2nd line center role. thats our priority.
Very fair...simply differing opinions

Old
02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
People complains Nylander is too much west-east instead of north-south. Well guess what, the playmaker with the puck isn't necessarily the north-south guy, it's the guy who is about to get the puck. Complaints about that Nylander swirls around the boards, deep in the zone? Well, guess what, do you know which area is the best to lose the puck to maximize your chances of forming a successful defense or hustle it back? Deep in the offensive zone along the boards. Playing along the boards also makes the coverage of the puck alot easier. That means Nylander knows more about hockey than you do.
As a person who thinks they do more good than harm, I do have a problem with their approach to hockey. They seem willing to turn over the puck in hopes of making a play. They prefer high risk hockey. Sometimes a simple clear up the boards is the right play to make, instead they try to make something out of nothing and giving up an odd man rush. If they dumped the puck out of their zone more often, even if it means conceding/wasting a shift, I would be a lot happier.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote