HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 4-1 (DD SUCKS ASS)

Old
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I started saying this 2 years ago. DD needs to score 20 goals to be useful to Habs.
Humm...
Last complete NHL season, only 38 centers scored 20 goals or more. Amongst these, only 14 had 40 assists or more -- which is somewhat realistic expectations. And a few of them might have been playing wing too.

None of these players play LESS than DD.

A 20-40-60 statline would be in the 1A/B Center category. 1B centers usually win more than 3.5M.

I do think DD should target AT LEAST 15 goals. But expecting 20 goals year in year out? Not sure at all.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Strat

31 points in his last 37 games.

Sure wish people would understand this and get off the bandwagon.

Even sheep should be intelligent enough to give credit where it's due.

Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I still think DD will get killed in the playoffs.
Briere is possibly the softest player on this team and he's a playoff beast.

If other forward can do their jobs, Desharnais can learn to be sneaky good like Briere while attention is elsewhere.

Of course the problem is we are constantly outplayed, so that might not happen.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
It took DD until the 3rd game to register a shot.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:49 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
31 points in his last 37 games.

Sure wish people would understand this and get off the bandwagon.

Even sheep should be intelligent enough to give credit where it's due.
True, but he also had 1pt in his first 19 games...so he's not Getzlaf yet...
Bottom line is, you can't win with DD as a #1 or #2 guy getting as much icetime as he gets...in a 4 out of 7 series, he gets manhandled...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It took DD until the 3rd game to register a shot.
How is that even relevant now?

Giroux had no goals in his first 15 games. He now just shy of 20.

See my post above about sheep.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
True, but he also had 1pt in his first 19 games...so he's not Getzlaf yet...
Bottom line is, you can't win with DD as a #1 or #2 guy getting as much icetime as he gets...in a 4 out of 7 series, he gets manhandled...
You're proving my point. Every guy was on his case. He took it like a man, and has since turned his game around.

But,... it's not enough to change the minds of the sheep writing on this board.

Once an opinion has been reached, it's almost impossible to change it. Just take a look at the people who still think Halak is the better goalie.

A recent example is how Murray sucks when he's been playing like a beast lately. Oh well... Sheep like this only make me laugh.

Old
02-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Et le But

Comparing him to Murray is probably not the best way to defend Desharnais.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer*

Quote:
How is that even relevant now?

Giroux had no goals in his first 15 games. He now just shy of 20.

See my post above about sheep.
I meant in the playoffs. I guess I didn't hit the quote button.

Douglas Murray has 2 minor penalties and 1 major penalty for 9 total.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
You're proving my point. Every guy was on his case. He took it like a man, and has since turned his game around.

But,... it's not enough to change the minds of the sheep writing on this board.

Once an opinion has been reached, it's almost impossible to change it. Just take a look at the people who still think Halak is the better goalie.

A recent example is how Murray sucks when he's been playing like a beast lately. Oh well... Sheep like this only make me laugh.
Sheep like this make this board a less and less interesting discussion place. Even when the team wins and is clearly doing better, they spend their time and our time whining about specific players instead of praising the team and its best performers.

Two full weeks without Habs hockey. This place will get even worse. Lots of time to micro analyze DD and Murray to death.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Smokey Thompson

He really should shoot more often. If Patches hadn't left the game, he would've shot on DD's first goal. On his second goal, DD would've passed to Patches lol.

He lifted his game last night. The fact that him and Bourque seem to have some chemistry, and the fact that Bourque has been playing pretty well lately is encouraging.

Maybe Therrien sees this switches the lines a bit:

Briere-Plek-Gio
Patches-DD-Bourque
Galch-Eller-DD

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I meant in the playoffs. I guess I didn't hit the quote button.

Douglas Murray has 2 minor penalties and 1 major penalty for 9 total.
I don't see how the penalties mean anything.

As far as the Playoffs go, let's try to *make* the Playoffs first. The Habs are a fringe team. I'd worry about the here and now.

Old
02-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Was working last night, finished watching the game a couple hours ago. White is playing the best hockey of his career. DD shining vs the Hurricanes doesn't surprise me at all (look at his performance in pre-season). It's a perfect match-up for our smurfs. Their team is built the same way but we're deeper both on offense and on defense. Their forwards are not really physical aside from a couple of them (Ruutu and Jordan Staal) and their defense is either slow and physical (Bellemore/Komisarek) or mobile but soft (Sekera/Faulk/Hainsey). Anyway good performance from MTL, they seem to have gotten out of that ugly stretch. I still think trading Markov is the way to go. I think we could still make the playoffs without him.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Comparing him to Murray is probably not the best way to defend Desharnais.
Don't see why.

In both cases, there's an avalanche of unwarranted criticism.

They both have played much much better than the endless stream of ignorant criticism would lead you to believe.

But old habits die hard.

Old
02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
He really should shoot more often. If Patches hadn't left the game, he would've shot on DD's first goal. On his second goal, DD would've passed to Patches lol.

He lifted his game last night. The fact that him and Bourque seem to have some chemistry, and the fact that Bourque has been playing pretty well lately is encouraging.

Maybe Therrien sees this switches the lines a bit:

Briere-Plek-Gio
Patches-DD-Bourque
Galch-Eller-DD
I've been waiting for a line change to happen forever. I've also said DD has a much better shot than he probably thinks he has. I don't know why he just never shoots.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I've been waiting for a line change to happen forever. I've also said DD has a much better shot than he probably thinks he has. I don't know why he just never shoots.
He's got a better shot than Gomer that's for sure.

With the way he's been playing I'm willing to give him another playoff to prove he won't be manhandled when the checking gets tighter. I have some serious doubts, but Desharnais has been proving people wrong all of his life.

I'm willing to admit that I had written him off earlier in the season...but you can't help but notice the difference in his game ever since.

I'm pulling for him - DD playing well is good for the Habs. If he gets dealt at the deadline it will be when his value is at its highest; if he doesn't get dealt..he's contributing offensively. Hopefully he keeps it up when things get really tight. It's going to be a crazy ride down the stretch.

You know that little guy who got added to Team Canada because he's been playing so well? He has 36 points in his last 37 games, not much more than DD, who has been scoring at the pace of a top 30 NHL scorer since he snapped out of his slump.

DD went from being dead last in points..something like 600th in scoring, to where he's now among the 110 top scoring forwards in the league.

No other player in the league comes close to the turnaround he has made statistically since the Habs played their first 20 games - so he deserves some recognition, just as Murray does. They have been the main whipping boys this season - early on it was justified...but not so deserved recently.

I'd say you can get by with a tiny, non physical center if he gets back and looks after his defensive assignments while producing at a .7 pts per game clip or higher.

The defensive part still needs some work, but he's taken care of the points part for close to half a season. If he can score at a .7+ ppg clip from now until the end of the playoffs while covering his check adequately - that's not a horrible option as your second center in overall ice time.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
To no surprise you dont get it, it's quite the contrary actually...

most who wants the whole DD love affair to end remember very well how easy it was for Ottawa to push us around last P.O... and they understand full well that with a top 6 with D, Gallagher, Gionta, Plekanec, Briere, will again be easily be pushed around... as fans or the TEAM, we don't want that...

same fans also understand that Briere, Plekanec, Gionta, Eller, Galchenyuk when he was healthy all saw their production drop (even Gallagher the first 35 games with D)... as as fans of the TEAM they'd rather have 4 or 5 productive forwards than 2 or 3... especially since the productives ones will be lucky to reach 60 pts...

same fans also noticed that since D took most of the PP opportunities, PP took a dive, it may be coincidence, but still, as fans of the TEAM they'd rather have a better PP

same fans also remember that last season where D wasnt as productive as he's been last 30 something games the Habs TEAM was 3rd in goal scored while now they're 21th or 22th... and as fans of the TEAM they rather see the TEAM score more goals, not just one line...

same fans also understand that the TEAM need a physical presence in their top 6 and that there's no one outside Eller who can bring that presence, so as fans of the TEAM, they'd like to see physicality on the Habs top 6...

any other dumb comment you feel lke making ?
You dont understand me, do you?

I agree with you 100% that this team is entirely too small. Ottawa proved that last season. I think that we have too many smallish players in Hamilton. I think that we have too many smallish players in Juniors.

The Habs have had a tradition over the last decade of trying to be a small team.......with no success.

I would love to package up DD, Gionta, Bouillon and all of the forwards in Hamilton and replace them with players who are average NHL size regarding height and weight.

But who are we kidding. That will not happen. We have who we have until the trade deadline or the offseason or until the end of their contracts.

So with that said, *****ing and whining about DD vs Eller is a moot point. Both are skating for the Habs. Eller is struggling. DD is doing well. Pointless to have countless numbers of threads and posts whining about DD.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:20 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Cant edit. Throw Briere in that mix and get rid of him as well.

The only undersized player that the Habs should have is Gallagher.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

I'm willing to give Patches-Galchenyuk/Eller-Eller/Galchenyuk a shot.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Craig71

DD played a great game last night and right now that's good enough for me.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
DD really does have a nifty shot. Quick release, accurate. he is obviously a lot more comfortable just feeding patches, which is still successful and productive, but sometimes it is a bit much when DD gets into slot with puck and instead of ripping it passes off to patches on half board.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
DD really does have a nifty shot. Quick release, accurate. he is obviously a lot more comfortable just feeding patches, which is still successful and productive, but sometimes it is a bit much when DD gets into slot with puck and instead of ripping it passes off to patches on half board.
He's been like this since Cincinnati in the ECHL. He scored 29 goals that season, but could have had 40+. I was told that he was the same way in the QMJHL. He's just one of those players who is pass-oriented to an absurd extreme.

I would think that it would serve his overall offensive production best if DD would average at least 2 shots on goal per game, but he's been very consistent with a 1.25 SOG average during his NHL career.

I'd like to see him change and shoot more, but I doubt that the old dog will learn a new trick in this case.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
The problem with Dd and his shot is that if he is extended around the net, he can't get much elevation or velocity on the shot. He has to rely on tips and open nets to finish off plays, that is unless he gets pucks in his wheelhouse with little harassment. Look at his goal against Nashville. But it's tough to find those types of opputunities in the prime scoring areas.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Forsead

Nice win for the team atmosphere !

Last edited by Forsead: 02-09-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 09:48 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

Finally, 0 hestitation from DD when being fed the puck. Took him a while to reach that point. Now, it is time to wonder if he will revert to his pass-happy self.

Also, the goals were score on the transition, but we don't even play the trap so we can get on it. Therrien prefers a grindy game with dump and chase. #FireTherrien.

SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote