HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1906–07 Toronto Professional Hockey Club

Old
02-08-2014, 12:56 PM
the edler
Inimitable

vCash: 500
1906–07 Toronto Professional Hockey Club

Hi, I need some help in identifying the players on the 1906–07 Toronto Professional Hockey Club, I think the first wholly professional hockey club in the city of Toronto. This club played in the OPHL [Ontario Professional Hockey League aka Trolley League] in 1908 & 1909 and challenged the Montreal Wanderers for the Cup in March 1908 with a young Newsy Lalonde on the team.

The only player I'm certain of here is captain Bruce Ridpath at far right in the top row. The guy on his side should be team manager Alexander Miln, but I'm not certain of that. The goalie beside him should be Mark Tooze, but again, I'm not certain.

UPDATE: Goaltender Mark Tooze is not in the photo, as by the book A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & the Rise of Professional Hockey by Stephen Harper

Other players on the 1906–07 Toronto team, as by the book A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & the Rise of Professional Hockey by Stephen J. Harper, was Hugh Lambe [point], Rowley Young [coverpoint], Jack Carmichael [center], Harry Burgoyne, Frank McLaren and Charlie Liffiton. It's possible it's apparent in the book, but I've only gotten the opportunity to skim it on google books.

Last edited by the edler: 02-09-2014 at 03:04 AM.
the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Front row, L to R: Rowley Young, Charlie Liffiton, Harry Burgoyne, Hugh Lambe

Back row, L to R: Frank McLaren (presumably), Jack Carmichael, Alexander Milne (presumably), Bruce Ridpath

All are positive IDs from the SIHR database, with the exception of McLaren who is assigned based on a process of elimination.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 04:53 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Thanks Iain. So there's no goalie in the photo? The goalie pads I "saw" seems to be the foot of Liffiton's chair.

Old
02-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

.... speaking of "pads", none of them appear to be wearing anything in way of shin or knee guards, nor shoulder pads for that matter but that was a somewhat later innovation & addition anyway. But the shins & knee's, well, talk about taking a beating. While not something you wouldve really thought about until getting seriously whacked with sticks, hit by a puck but still. That area, close to the ice & stickwork, do yourself, others some major damage by accident or design.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
Thanks Iain. So there's no goalie in the photo? The goalie pads I "saw" seems to be the foot of Liffiton's chair.
Good point. That suggests it may be Tooze instead of McLaren then. That would make more sense. I can't find a picture of Tooze to confirm, but it seems likely Liffiton came in to replace McLaren. I seem to recall reading in Harper's book that McLaren retired in mid-season. So this picture would be from later in the season, not at the beginning.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... speaking of "pads", none of them appear to be wearing anything in way of shin or knee guards, nor shoulder pads for that matter but that was a somewhat later innovation & addition anyway. But the shins & knee's, well, talk about taking a beating. While not something you wouldve really thought about until getting seriously whacked with sticks, hit by a puck but still. That area, close to the ice & stickwork, do yourself, others some major damage by accident or design.
They generally wore some protection on their shins, under their socks, often made of cane or rattan or something similar. But it wouldn't surprising if they hadn't bothered with it for the photo shoot.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
I think what you see at the foot of the chair is just the foot of the chair. At this time they were still using cricket pads, which are generally white and I think they'd stand out a bit more if you could see them.

Old
02-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

.... sorry edler. Not seeing any hint of a goalie pad anywhere, nothing where your suggesting nor elsewhere. As Iain points out, Cricket Pads were almost always white, should stand out. Unless Midnight Black with a Cloak of Invisibility rip cord attached, not seeing what you "saw". Great picture, excellent definition, if they were there, we'd see them.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:34 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Good point. That suggests it may be Tooze instead of McLaren then. That would make more sense. I can't find a picture of Tooze to confirm, but it seems likely Liffiton came in to replace McLaren. I seem to recall reading in Harper's book that McLaren retired in mid-season. So this picture would be from later in the season, not at the beginning.
I've read a selection from Harper's book now on google books that says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Harper
This midseason photo is the sole known picture of the first pro lineup. Goaltender Mark Tooze is the only regular who is absent.
So it probably is Frank McLaren.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:52 AM
seventieslord

Dang... I was gonna say the top left guy was Jack Marshall just from looking at his face but... he wasn't on this team.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:04 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Dang... I was gonna say the top left guy was Jack Marshall just from looking at his face but... he wasn't on this team.
Marshall is actually listed on the stats sites as "playing" exhibition for the "Toronto Professionals", but in the "1905–06 season". No games are listed though. In the 1906–07 season he played for the Montreal Montagnards & Montreal Wanderers. And I don't think that guy look like Marshall at all. Marshall had a pretty characteristic face.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Sanf

Could that be Goaltender Chuck Tyner? I remebered reading that Mark Tooze went to Pittsburgh in the middle of that season and there were rumours that they would sign Tyner who was with Marlboros.

I tried to find find picture of him and found blog (The Preacher) and apparently after his hockey career he served as priest. Actually at the end of the column blogger says that Tyner probably was that man in the back row at left and there is also picture linked from 1924 of him.

source
The Saints of St. Mary's III - The Rev'd. Charles Tyner
http://sermonfolder.blogspot.fi/2013...d-charles.html

(if linking otherwise non-hockey related blogs is forbidden, leave the title so if someone is intrested they can google search it.)

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:32 PM
the edler
Inimitable

This guy below is said to be Chuck Tyner, on a photo credited to classicauctions.net

Tyner played for Toronto on the 1908 OPHL team that challenged for the Cup. Only Rowley Young & Bruce Ridpath on the 1906–07 team played in 1908 against the Wanderers. The team took in a bunch of new players for the first OPHL season and the challange game like Tyner, Con Corbeau, Bert Morrison, Wally Mercer, Newsy Lalonde and Jack Marks.

Old
02-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Sanf

Yep probably wrong guess from my part.

"Young was also retained for the series against Houghton, along with goaltender Tooze" (from Daniel Scott Masons IPHL study). So Rowley Young also left to Pittsburgh in late February. So the picture is likely taken earlier.

Here is also the rumour which I remembered about Tyner turning to "pro". They talk about Berlin?
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4334%2C5613378

Last edited by Sanf: 02-09-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old
02-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
...The team took in a bunch of new players for the first OPHL season and the challange game like Tyner, Con Corbeau...
Well now isnt that interesting. I had no idea that Bert Corbeau had a brother older than he was who also played pro hockey. Both of them died rather young & tragically. Con of internal bleeding of the heart at 35 in 1920; Bert drowning while saving passengers on Georgian Bay at 48 when his yacht capsized in 1942. The latter having played for the Canadiens, Hamilton Tigers, St.Pats & Leafs.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:38 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Well now isnt that interesting. I had no idea that Bert Corbeau had a brother older than he was who also played pro hockey. Both of them died rather young & tragically. Con of internal bleeding of the heart at 35 in 1920; Bert drowning while saving passengers on Georgian Bay at 48 when his yacht capsized in 1942. The latter having played for the Canadiens, Hamilton Tigers, St.Pats & Leafs.
Henry John "Con" Corbeau was on the 1914 Toronto Blueshirts Cup winners. He also played on 4 out of 5 IPHL teams [Pittsburgh, Calumet, Canadian Soo and Portage Lakes] and for the Toronto Tecumsehs in the NHA.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
So it probably is Frank McLaren.
There you go. I was (probably) right and didn't even know it.

Quote:
Henry John "Con" Corbeau was on the 1914 Toronto Blueshirts Cup winners. He also played on 4 out of 5 IPHL teams [Pittsburgh, Calumet, Canadian Soo and Portage Lakes] and for the Toronto Tecumsehs in the NHA.
They also had a cousin Harvey Corbeau who played pro from 1908 to 1910.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
They also had a cousin Harvey Corbeau who played pro from 1908 to 1910.
Interesting. The Corbeau clan on the paternal side originally from Sorel over 140yrs ago quite a prominent name in Tiny Township, South Eastern Georgian Bay & Penetang. Both Bert & Con Corbeau inducted into the Penetang Sports Hall of Fame which is headed up by Waxy Gregoire, member of the SIHR. He recently wrote an autobiography on Pierre Pilote in conjunction with another member, David Dupuis (earlier wrote a book about Sawchuk) who also lives in the area. Pilote himself live's in or near Wyevale, a very small rural community Southwest of Penetang, appointed Ambassador to their HOF couple years back.

Old
02-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Interesting. The Corbeau clan on the paternal side originally from Sorel over 140yrs ago quite a prominent name in Tiny Township, South Eastern Georgian Bay & Penetang. Both Bert & Con Corbeau inducted into the Penetang Sports Hall of Fame which is headed up by Waxy Gregoire, member of the SIHR.
Indeed, Waxy is hosting the SIHR AGM this may in Penetang. It's going to be about an 18-hour drive for me, but I'm going.

Old
02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Indeed, Waxy is hosting the SIHR AGM this may in Penetang. It's going to be about an 18-hour drive for me, but I'm going.
That'll be fun. Not unlike Fredericton with Chestnut Canoe Company & a couple of other smaller pleasure craft manufacturers, Penetang has a long history of boat building, most notably Grew, originally woodies, Greavette with a shop along with Butson & others.Some of the Corbeau clan employed by them, certainly Bert an avid boater himself himself.

The Penetang Sports Hall of Fame has over 150 individuals who have been inducted since opening in 87 or so, all from SE Georgian Bay & environs. I was quite surprised to learn that it even existed frankly, that Pierre Pilote was/is their "Ambassador". Unaware he'd retired to the general area. Grew up in Konogami Quebec moving to Fort Erie Ontario. Not sure why Wyevale of all places but hey-ho.

In addition to the Corbeaus, the Penetang Hall of Fame also inducted Andy Bellehumer, Howard & George McNamara, Vic Grigg & Bunn Deschamps of early hockey history, Don Tannahill & others of later periods all from the area. Early to late 19th Century quite an influx of Francophones from Quebec. I know the area well, Corbeau a fairly extended family of offspring & common name that wasnt anglicized as so many were.... Penetang was of course important strategically and fortified by the British very early in Canadian history as your likely aware. Lovely little town & area, beautiful natural harbor. Worth the trip.

Old
02-10-2014, 04:48 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
Yep probably wrong guess from my part.

"Young was also retained for the series against Houghton, along with goaltender Tooze" (from Daniel Scott Masons IPHL study). So Rowley Young also left to Pittsburgh in late February. So the picture is likely taken earlier.

Here is also the rumour which I remembered about Tyner turning to "pro". They talk about Berlin?
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4334%2C5613378
Here's a link to a good photo of Chuck Tyner with the 1905 Toronto Marlboros, OHA Champions that year. Also in this photo is Rowley Young & Bruce Ridpath [from the 1906–1908 Toronto Professionals] lying on the flanks in the front row. Click on it and it'll pop up bigger.

Old
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Sanf

Quote:
Here's a link to a good photo of Chuck Tyner with the 1905 Toronto Marlboros, OHA Champions that year. Also in this photo is Rowley Young & Bruce Ridpath [from the 1906–1908 Toronto Professionals] lying on the flanks in the front row. Click on it and it'll pop up bigger.
Yep, that most certainly looks like young Charles Tyner, so the player in OPs photo isn΄t him.

Old
03-05-2014, 11:12 AM
the edler
Inimitable

According to this photo from the Library and Archives Canada the guy to the left in the rop row is one trainer Wm. Slean and the guy in between Carmichael & Ridpath is one manager B. Spanner.

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...657203,3722394