HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2014, 12:48 AM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
You'd rather have Nichushkin over Nurse?

Unless Ritchie REALLY elevates his game to Reinhart and Bennett's level and consistency.. when you're picking Top3, you have to take the BPA. Plus the Oilers need a good 2nd line Centre as much as they need a tough scoring winger.
A lot of Oil fans would. Even going back to the day of the draft fans were questioning the pick.

Old
02-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Almost everyone here will say the Oilers don't need yet another winger but we look at the lineup each season and say... gee we could REALLY use a big power forward in that top six to help balance it out with the smaller talent there... yet we look right past players like Nichushkin/Ritchie.
I'm a big fan of Ritchie and have been promoting him for a while, but if we're picking top 3 it has to be one of Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett. 4 is the earliest I'd take Ritchie. It's unfortunate that power forwards are harder to project and take longer to develop, but it is the case. He could end up a 3rd liner if development doesn't go as planned, whereas the other 3 are locks to be very good 2C/decent 1 C, or good #2 Dman/possibly #1 Dman.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:50 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
You'd rather have Nichushkin over Nurse?

Unless Ritchie REALLY elevates his game to Reinhart and Bennett's level and consistency.. when you're picking Top3, you have to take the BPA. Plus the Oilers need a good 2nd line Centre as much as they need a tough scoring winger.
At the draft, yes I wanted Nichushkin over Nurse. It's not that I disliked Nurse either... I just thought a player like Nichushkin who was on track to becoming a power forward type player would be a very good addition to the Oilers lineup... complimenting the rest of the lineup well.

Some people immediately jumped to conclusions and say why the "hate" for Nurse... especially when Nichushkin could be a bust because of his selfishness and there's a good chance he'd end up in the KHL grabbing all the money he could.

Lot's of assumptions were thrown around.

Honestly the Nurse pick is a solid one and he should do well for the Oilers.

The Oilers obviously DO need some size in their top 6 though. Players who have that unique combo of size/speed/skill are reasonably rare and HARD to obtain in trades which is why players like Nichushkin/Ritchie are solid picks.

Yes the Oilers need #1/#2 type dmen, yes they need a #2 centre... BUT I don't think they go far either without more size/grit in the top 6 either which is why I think a player like Ritchie this year should be much higher on their charts than they probably have him.

Who knows though... maybe they DO have him right up there with the top 2/3 picks.

Let's just for the hell of it assume they had drafted Nichushkin... and this year Ritchie. Let's also assume Ritchie is ready to step in "soonish".

Maybe that addition of those two in the lineup allows you to trade some players away that you couldn't have otherwise to obtain other needed pieces... a #2 C... a top pairing D... plus the Oilers would finally have that much needed size in that top 6.

This year they maybe are going to draft their #2C or if lucky a future #1D but a skilled big forward for the top 6 is still going to be something they lack outside of Hall and Yak.

A player like Gagner might look completely different between Ritchie and Nichushkin for example... maybe negating having to dump him for potato chips.

You could very easily make an argument that the lack of size/grit in the top 6 has MADE this team have to consider trading away decent (still developing) pieces like Perron/Eberle/Gagner/ (maybe even Yak) just because they have too many similar types so they are dealing from a position of weakness rather than having a better balance where they can be dealing from a position of strength instead of basically FORCING them to trade pieces away to fill obvious holes.

Old
02-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Updated the OP

02-09-2014, 01:00 PM
oil country 83

I think this years draft lines up perfectly for the oil! If we stay in the top 3 we get a franchise d man to go with nurse, klefbom, j Schultz & and a promising marincin or a 2nd line center in Bennett or Reinhardt.

If we keep winning we end up with one of the power forwards in dalcolle, Ritchie or virtanen all 6 of these players fit a role that we desperately need.

No one wants to be here but 3 years from now we make look at this draft and say it brought us the final piece of the puzzle we needed, take the bpa and then Mac T can trade off the spare parts to fill the holes.

Old
02-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm warming up to the idea of Reinhart or Bennet more and more, but I still wouldn't choose either of them over Ekblad.

I think RNH-Reinhart/Bennet as a 1-2 punch is fantastic.

If we end up drafting Reinhart, would you guys be opposed to trading Eberle to the Islanders for Griffin, and another piece? Maybe Clutterbuck? I think the Islanders may go for something like that because Vanek leaving is inevitable, and they really need more line mates for JT.

Old
02-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm warming up to the idea of Reinhart or Bennet more and more, but I still wouldn't choose either of them over Ekblad.

If we end up drafting Reinhart, would you guys be opposed to trading Eberle to the Islanders for Griffin, and another piece? Maybe Clutterbuck? I think the Islanders may go for something like that because Vanek leaving is inevitable, and they really need more line mates for JT.
Would rather trade Eberle for a proven dman. Or at least one that has played in the NHL and shown very good potential. The Reinhart brothers would be nice though.

Old
02-09-2014, 01:57 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

I wouldn't make that trade for Griffin, however I would gladly make a deal with Eberle for Hamonic. I'd be willing to add anything to get that done, and get a player like Clutterbuck back as well. Clutterbuck would look great on a 3rd line with Hendricks/Jones and Gordon.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I think if Ekblad is gone we need to trade the pick
Eberle + Marincin for B.Schenn + Coburn
Gagner + 1st + Klefbom for Ehrhoff + Stafford + Ott

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/B.Schenn/Stafford
Ott/Gordon/Free Agent
Arcobello/Lander/Pitlick

Ehrhoff/J.Schultz
Coburn/Petry
Ference/Nurse

Scrivens
Bryzgalov

Old
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The more I watch Brett Pollock play the more I think the Oilers will draft him this year.

The kid has size (6'2"), enough skill to score and will play a starring role on the OKs next year in all likelihood.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/B.Schenn/Stafford
Ott/Gordon/Free Agent
Arcobello/Lander/Pitlick

Ehrhoff/J.Schultz
Coburn/Petry
Ference/Nurse

Scrivens
Bryzgalov
1st one is awful.

2nd one isn't much better. Ehrhoff won't be traded due to cap recapture and Ott is a UFA.

This isn't the direction I'd like to see the Oilers take.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
That's because we're probably going to be drafting 3rd or 4th overall. We'll pass Calgary and NYI looks to be going into tank mode.
It's crazy how the Islanders traded their first for Vanek. Buffalo could potentially draft 1-2 this year and walk away with Reinhart and Ekblad.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
It's crazy how the Islanders traded their first for Vanek. Buffalo could potentially draft 1-2 this year and walk away with Reinhart and Ekblad.
Pretty sure the pick has lottery protection on it.

It would be freaking crazy though if Tavares gets hurt next year and the Islanders pick turns out to be McDavid for the Sabres, lol.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Pretty sure the pick has lottery protection on it.

It would be freaking crazy though if Tavares gets hurt next year and the Islanders pick turns out to be McDavid for the Sabres, lol.
Yup, I totally forgot that the Islanders can give up their 2015 pick instead if they finish bottom 10 this year. that would be horrible for the Islanders. Either way, Buffalo will be bad next year and if the Islanders don't improve...that trade will look awful.

Old
02-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The more I watch Brett Pollock play the more I think the Oilers will draft him this year.

The kid has size (6'2"), enough skill to score and will play a starring role on the OKs next year in all likelihood.
Agree 100%.

But unless we pick up a late second or an early third there is no chance we get him.

I see him going late in the second round.

I didn't think he had much potential when watching him last year, but this year when giving him a prime top six role he has flourished, he would be a nice pickup.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:07 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Yup, I totally forgot that the Islanders can give up their 2015 pick instead if they finish bottom 10 this year. that would be horrible for the Islanders. Either way, Buffalo will be bad next year and if the Islanders don't improve...that trade will look awful.
I'd expect nothing less from a team ran by Wang/Snow. Made a huge gamble just for a slight upgrade on Moulson. They're in tank mode right now so I'm pretty sure they will keep the pick. Next year the hockey gods will let NYI win the lottery for the stuff they've pulled on players like Nabokov and Vishnovsky, then Buffalo will draft Mcdavid.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:15 PM
AntsoftheSky

Quote:
At the draft, yes I wanted Nichushkin over Nurse. It's not that I disliked Nurse either... I just thought a player like Nichushkin who was on track to becoming a power forward type player would be a very good addition to the Oilers lineup... complimenting the rest of the lineup well.

Some people immediately jumped to conclusions and say why the "hate" for Nurse... especially when Nichushkin could be a bust because of his selfishness and there's a good chance he'd end up in the KHL grabbing all the money he could.

Lot's of assumptions were thrown around.

Honestly the Nurse pick is a solid one and he should do well for the Oilers.

The Oilers obviously DO need some size in their top 6 though. Players who have that unique combo of size/speed/skill are reasonably rare and HARD to obtain in trades which is why players like Nichushkin/Ritchie are solid picks.

Yes the Oilers need #1/#2 type dmen, yes they need a #2 centre... BUT I don't think they go far either without more size/grit in the top 6 either which is why I think a player like Ritchie this year should be much higher on their charts than they probably have him.

Who knows though... maybe they DO have him right up there with the top 2/3 picks.

Let's just for the hell of it assume they had drafted Nichushkin... and this year Ritchie. Let's also assume Ritchie is ready to step in "soonish".

Maybe that addition of those two in the lineup allows you to trade some players away that you couldn't have otherwise to obtain other needed pieces... a #2 C... a top pairing D... plus the Oilers would finally have that much needed size in that top 6.

This year they maybe are going to draft their #2C or if lucky a future #1D but a skilled big forward for the top 6 is still going to be something they lack outside of Hall and Yak.

A player like Gagner might look completely different between Ritchie and Nichushkin for example... maybe negating having to dump him for potato chips.

You could very easily make an argument that the lack of size/grit in the top 6 has MADE this team have to consider trading away decent (still developing) pieces like Perron/Eberle/Gagner/ (maybe even Yak) just because they have too many similar types so they are dealing from a position of weakness rather than having a better balance where they can be dealing from a position of strength instead of basically FORCING them to trade pieces away to fill obvious holes.
The thing is, top pairing Dmen are much, much harder to acquire in a trade. Would it not be easier to draft a blue chip D prospect, develop him in the minors and trade Eberle + for a power forward?

Old
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
BarDownBobo

I wonder if Alexander Kadeykin might be a guy worth taking a shot on with a late round pick. 6'5", 216lb Center who is having a pretty good rookie season in the KHL after doing very well in the MHL for a couple seasons. He is an overager though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=94663

Old
02-11-2014, 06:26 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Perron/B.Schenn/Stafford
Ott/Gordon/Free Agent
Arcobello/Lander/Pitlick

Ehrhoff/J.Schultz
Coburn/Petry
Ference/Nurse

Scrivens
Bryzgalov
That first trade is absolutely awful, and the second one isn't much better.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I wonder if Alexander Kadeykin might be a guy worth taking a shot on with a late round pick. 6'5", 216lb Center who is having a pretty good rookie season in the KHL after doing very well in the MHL for a couple seasons. He is an overager though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=94663
Seems intriguing. We've really been on board with taking big Russian forwards lately, I hope that continues. Is he interested in coming over to NA though?

Old
02-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Ekblad absolutely takes out McGlynn here:

Old
02-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Buffalo has Ristolainen, Zadorov, Mcnabb, and Pysyk. With all that I just can't see why they would pick Ekblad even if he is the BPA, it would be nearly as redundant as if we drafted Willy Nylander (one of the smallest skill players). Add the risk of drafting a defenseman that early and their desperate lack of scoring and it just doesn't make sense.

Sure anything can happen but I feel like the only thing stopping us from drafting him would be a team ahead of us winning the lotto and bumping us down to 3rd, or trading the pick away for more experienced help. The latter potentially being in our best interest, but at this point I think we'll at least have to option to take him.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:01 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsoftheSky View Post
The thing is, top pairing Dmen are much, much harder to acquire in a trade. Would it not be easier to draft a blue chip D prospect, develop him in the minors and trade Eberle + for a power forward?
Ya, I'm not saying the Oilers shouldn't draft Ekblad. If he's on the board when they pick then he's the obvious choice.

What I'm getting at is that a player with skill/size/speed capable of playing in the top 6 is basically VERY hard to obtain through trade or free agency as well.

They are arguably just as hard to obtain as a top pairing dman or a #2C.

This is why the Oilers were throwing $6 million and term at Clarkson... a guy who really isn't "that good" but he was and is something the team NEEDS in their lineup to compliment the rest of their smallish skilled guys.

It can certainly be argued that the Oilers need that type of player just as bad as a #2 C for example.

If Ekblad is gone and the Oilers were to draft Ritchie I'd be on board. Yes Reinhart would be a good pick as would Bennett but Ritchie would be just as good of a choice as well as it gives the team a type of player they likely won't be able to obtain easily on the market.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Ya, I'm not saying the Oilers shouldn't draft Ekblad. If he's on the board when they pick then he's the obvious choice.

What I'm getting at is that a player with skill/size/speed capable of playing in the top 6 is basically VERY hard to obtain through trade or free agency as well.

They are arguably just as hard to obtain as a top pairing dman or a #2C.

This is why the Oilers were throwing $6 million and term at Clarkson... a guy who really isn't "that good" but he was and is something the team NEEDS in their lineup to compliment the rest of their smallish skilled guys.

It can certainly be argued that the Oilers need that type of player just as bad as a #2 C for example.

If Ekblad is gone and the Oilers were to draft Ritchie I'd be on board. Yes Reinhart would be a good pick as would Bennett but Ritchie would be just as good of a choice as well as it gives the team a type of player they likely won't be able to obtain easily on the market.
Be careful what you wish for. You may get a player with size and grit but then you might trade off that in finish and speed.

Very few players have it all, size speed, grit and finish.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
rockinghockey

With a top 4 pick we can't take Ritchie and hope he turns out

Closed Thread