HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with Matt Cullen?

Old
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I dont think he's playing over his head, I think he's being asked to play over his head but playing right at his level. Last year you could say this team played over its' collective head. Maybe thats just a difference in what we mean by the term.

I would love to read the scouting report the Rangers' had on Cullen when they decided to sign him. What made them think he could be a second line center? The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they expected Immonen to assume the role at some point in the season.
Sorry that's actually what I meant about Cullen.

As for Immonen, I still get the feeling that this team was expecting Immonen to come in and take that spot. I've always felt that and I think that his not making it or not being what they wanted really threw off their plans.

I could be totally off but I think the Rangers expected Immonen to wow them a bit more, not necessarily be a dynamo but be an NHL center along with Nylander, Cullen and Betts. Once they didn't like what they saw, it all kind of fell apart.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:41 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
This comment is moronic. If you read the entire post, you would realize how stupid it was to compare me to Renney when I'm calling for Dawes and Callahan to be called up and said it should have happened a long time ago. I also find it funny you defend Prucha. Sorry, Prucha has been worthless and he has nobody to blame but himself. He was a beanpole last year and he did absolutely nothing in the off-season to bulk up. In other words. He showed no effort to improve his game.
whoa homie... i was just comparing your statement on Prucha as "worthless" to that of Renney's treatment of him (as a 3rd line player).

And I defend him because I believe he can play, and I do not think last year was a fluke. given the chances he's gotten no wonder some people think he's worthless. Yes the kids small, but did that stop him from scoring 30 last year and does that stop him everytime he gets up after a hit? no

AND... you're arguing that Prucha's small and hasn't bulked up.. did you happen to check the size of Dawes? Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm against brining him up, just arguing a point.

But anyway, we should prob get on topic here.
So ye, Matt Cullen... ummm can I say overpaid?

Last edited by DontStaal: 02-07-2007 at 06:50 PM.
DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Sorry that's actually what I meant about Cullen.

As for Immonen, I still get the feeling that this team was expecting Immonen to come in and take that spot. I've always felt that and I think that his not making it or not being what they wanted really threw off their plans.

I could be totally off but I think the Rangers expected Immonen to wow them a bit more, not necessarily be a dynamo but be an NHL center along with Nylander, Cullen and Betts. Once they didn't like what they saw, it all kind of fell apart.
I also expected Immonen to be at least a regular with this team coming into the season. He did play well enough in Hartford and in the NHL towards the end of 05-06 to make me believe. But if they really had that high hopes for him wouldnt they have given him a bit of a longer look during the regular season. Not saying he didnt get his chance, but when you look at the opportunities someone like Hossa gets I don't think Immonen got the same, which is weird considering it seems like he was penciled in before the season started. I wasnt especially impressed with him this season either, but I wouldnt say he was god awful.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Edge

I dont really think Immonen was awful, but I don't think he was good either. I've always kind of felt he was just there.

But all that aside, it's obvious the Rangers didn't like what they saw for whatever reason. From that point on, I think things went south.

You hear a lot about leaving spots open for kids and I think it's gotten into people's heads that because the spot is there the kid will rise to the occassion all the time. Unfortunatly that doesn't always happen and sometimes you're left with a hole like we have now.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:45 AM
94now

Immonen would pass to Shanahan every time he got the puck. Any kid would do that playing with such a veteran. Other team coaches knew that and probably toldl their forecheckers to go after those feeds. As a result many of Immonen passes were intercepted and Jarkko must have felt bad about it. His confidence was non existent. It might be too late, but now when Shanny plays with Betts (who to his credit is much more confident as a centre) I'd try Immonen again with Cullen and Hossa as his wings.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
trench23

All i know is that if he is one on one with a D-man, winds up for a fake shot, tries to go outside on the D-man and loses the puck one more time, i am going to scream

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
After watching this guy for more than half a season now, I can't figure out what it is that this guy does well. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's not a terrible hockey player or anything, he has speed and some tenacity and every once in a while he gets off a good shot.

But for all the people who said over the summer that he was a key cog in the Canes cup run, I just don't see it. Those assets I mentioned above very rarely come together all at the same time to produce a great shift.

In the Versus production of last Monday's game against the Bruins they show some of his nice plays during the playoffs, him sharply running the Canes power play from the point, and some terrific rushes up the ice. That didn't look like the Matt Cullen we've been watching this year, although ironically that night was the one good game he's had recently on the COP line.

In fairness to Cullen, Renney has not used him on the point, but nothing about his game this year resembles anything we saw last year. I want to blame Renney, but I don't know if that's fair. It looks like Cullen is trying out there, he's not gliding around the ice like Jagr and Malik, but for some reason it never seems to come together for him, at least not for more than the occasional game or two here and there.

Thoughts?
We are kind of playing diffrent styles of hockey.

There are two ways to play offensive hockey, either outmaneuvering the other team, or just overwhelm them.

A perfect example is watching Canada play against a team like Sweden in a international tournament. Or teams like Carolina/Calgary vs Detroit.

Canada's offense always comes down to beeing stronger and faster then the other team. They try to get the puck as fast as possible from A to B, and B is always the other teams net. Playing in that kind of enviorment its important to be fast, to be strong, to work hard, to have a good enough skill leve that you can execute plays as fast as possible, wheter if its to get off a shot or to recive a pass. You also want around 2 D's and 2-3 forwards who can break the pattern. Though its also vital that you are really good at winning back the puck.

Carolina got allot of extremly imporant puckmovement from guys like Kaberle among others on their blueline last season, but they defenitly played a style like Canada usually are able to do in internaional tournements, they just overwhelm the other team. They got more raw skills then the team they play against, and takes advantage of that, skates em into the ground.

They also were able to win the puck back allot, it doesn't matter if they are sloppy with the puck, they have so many hardworking fast players that they manage to stress the other team into making a misstake.

Cullen aren't getting that here in NY. When we makes sloppy plays we aren't able to get it back fast enough. There for it gets really imporant for us to make smarter choices, to hang on to the puck when we got it, and outmaneuver the other team. Though at the same time, you could see his game pick up noticeble when he were matched with Ortmayer, most of the offense that line created were after Orts had made great defensive plays and Cullen were really effective capatilizing on them, beeing in a good positiong, having the speed to catch the other team out of position ect.

Though when you play with someone like Shanahan who aren't the fastest player on the ice you can't wait for the other team to make a misstake, you must be able to outmaneuver them too, Cullen don't got that in him, he aren't smart enough.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 10:54 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
I'd see how he plays with Avery and perhaps if Dawes and Callahan were called up which they should be. Just because Cullen hasn't clicked with Prucha or Shanny doesn't mean he can't turn it around. Prucha has been worthless almost all year.

Are you comparing Prucha to Hall, because Hall has been worthless, Prucha has been far from worthless, yea he hasn't been the same as last year, but he hasn't been playing as much, especially on the PP. He hasn't been worthless at all. Hall and Orr are worthless.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Are you comparing Prucha to Hall, because Hall has been worthless, Prucha has been far from worthless, yea he hasn't been the same as last year, but he hasn't been playing as much, especially on the PP. He hasn't been worthless at all. Hall and Orr are worthless.
thank you

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
JR#9*

I think the biggest factor b/w the Canes Cullen and the one we see this year is that he played with an exceptional playmaker in Whitney who allowed Cullen to utilize his speed and shot as opposed to us putting him with 2 similar players in Shanny/Prucha who also aren't playmakers and who also are of the "sniper who needs a setup man on the line" types as well.

Hopefully next year the team can ice 2 legit centers for the 1st 2 lines and Cullen can slide in at the 3rd slot where he'd be amoung he top 3rd line centers offensively in the NHL.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:18 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I don't think Cullen was EVER signed to be the #2 center. I think that Immonen was expected to fill that role and he had an awful camp and when he was here he was very mediocre. They were left with an open hole and tried to stick Cullen in it.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote