HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Old
02-09-2014, 12:02 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoEakins View Post
As reported earlier by CBC..The Canadian Olympic Woman's hockey team, will be experimenting with a modified version of the Dallas Eakins ,"Swarm defense."

All the best, to our athletes in Sochi...
Thank goodness that's the USA, then. We know how "swarm" ends up.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 01:41 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsustainable View Post
This has probably been beaten to death, but how in the **** did Duchene make the Olympic team over Hall or Giroux. Hall has significantly outproduced Duchene, having scored more goals and more assists (6 points total) in 2 fewer games. I seriously can not wrap my head around his inclusion on the team.
lol i was literally just thinking the same thing...

carter/nash/duchene should all not be there over hall... i dont think carter has scored for like a month... it sucks for this country the oilers are so bad because he is quite simply a better player than all those guys...

giroux hall st louis all got screwed imo

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Boggles the mind how Guay can win all those World Cup events but can never place in the Olympics.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:19 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Boggles the mind how Guay can win all those World Cup events but can never place in the Olympics.
Guay is certainly not alone in that regard. I've lost count of the number of times Canada has sent "the defending world champion" or "the top ranked [insert sport] in the world" to the Olympics, only for them to miss the podium entirely.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Guay is certainly not alone in that regard. I've lost count of the number of times Canada has sent "the defending world champion" or "the top ranked [insert sport] in the world" to the Olympics, only for them to miss the podium entirely.
It's different with Guay though. People like Wotherspoon, Hollingsworth, Hamelin, etc. have come back and won some medals in subsequent Olympics. Maybe not the gold they were favoured to win but medals of some sort. Guay keeps coming back and never wins anything. It's mystifying.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
DJsquared

vCash: 300
hey this is probably already answered, but when is canada's first game?

DJsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsquared View Post
hey this is probably already answered, but when is canada's first game?
Thursday 10am, Norway

Apparently Canada has clinched silver in the team figure skating competition according to the guy on CBC (don't shoot the messenger if he's completely wrong though )

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Thursday 10am, Norway

Apparently Canada has clinched silver in the team figure skating competition according to the guy on CBC (don't shoot the messenger if he's completely wrong though )
He is right. At this point it is mathematically impossible for the standings to change despite the ice dancing free skate:

Gold - Russia
Silver - Canada
Bronze - USA

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
When the difference between gold and 12th is less then 1 second it is a real crap shoot to see who will take the gold home. I was really pulling for Guay to finally get that medal. Congrats to the Figure skating team on their silver medal.

02-09-2014, 11:54 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsustainable View Post
This has probably been beaten to death, but how in the **** did Duchene make the Olympic team over Hall or Giroux. Hall has significantly outproduced Duchene, having scored more goals and more assists (6 points total) in 2 fewer games. I seriously can not wrap my head around his inclusion on the team.
Hall leads the NHL in turnovers by a forward. He's not responsible enough to play for TC. With that being said I still don't know why Duchene made it over Giroux, makes zero sense.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:38 PM
#ualberta

I'm just wondering does Canada always do this will or is this an exceptional start for us at the Olympics

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:47 PM
iCanada

Canada usually does well, but the events we dominate are typically near the end of the games.

I think in Vancouver it took three days for us to get our first medal, and like a week for our first gold. And then we exploded and ended with the second most medals and the most golds.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Canada usually does well, but the events we dominate are typically near the end of the games.

I think in Vancouver it took three days for us to get our first medal, and like a week for our first gold. And then we exploded and ended with the second most medals and the most golds.
No, I think the moguls skier(the one with the handicapped brother?) won on the third day, and that was our first gold.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Yeah I remember being at an Oilers game against the Ducks in 2010 when Bilodeau won Canada's first gold, Rexall went nuts when they put the highlights up. So if there was still NHL hockey on it was probably a few days into the olympics.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:00 PM
goggog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Yeah I remember being at an Oilers game against the Ducks in 2010 when Bilodeau won Canada's first gold, Rexall went nuts when they put the highlights up. So if there was still NHL hockey on it was probably a few days into the olympics.
Yea in Vancouver the only event on the first day was Ski Jumping. Heil won Silver on day 2 and then Bilodeau won Gold on day 3.

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Ended up wasting my time last late night watching Canadians fall down in Mens downhill and the Womens slope something or other. Guay and Paradis were hopeless. To the latter what else is new. This Paradis guy has been a huge flop and why are we even paying him to represent? I'd bet the house that Paradis would flop in an Olympics, any Olympics. I won some money on that in 2010. Whenever I see this guy I detect unprepared slacker.

Next, the Sloped whatever. Canadian woman, the only hope, I forget her name already because her performance was that riveting was highly touted, an apparent favorite, but flopped badly on both runs and couldn't finish the course either time. Basically a two run crash and burn. In the event only the top score counts but on combined she was probably the worst of the entire field.

To say she choked is understatement. On both runs it looked like she bailed as soon as something went wrong. No fight to get through course.

2 "oh well" runs. Terrible display.

Wrong day to Canadas performance I guess.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:11 PM
goggog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ended up wasting my time last late night watching Canadians fall down in Mens downhill and the Womens slope something or other. Guay and Paradis were hopeless. To the latter what else is new. This Paradis guy has been a huge flop and why are we even paying him to represent? I'd bet the house that Paradis would flop in an Olympics, any Olympics. I won some money on that in 2010. Whenever I see this guy I detect unprepared slacker.

Next, the Sloped whatever. Canadian woman, the only hope, I forget her name already because her performance was that riveting was highly touted, an apparent favorite, but flopped badly on both runs and couldn't finish the course either time. Basically a two run crash and burn. In the event only the top score counts but on combined she was probably the worst of the entire field.

To say she choked is understatement. On both runs it looked like she bailed as soon as something went wrong. No fight to get through course.

2 "oh well" runs. Terrible display.

Wrong day to Canadas performance I guess.
I'm guessing you have never hit a jump in your life? It is incredibly dangerous to hit jumps (especially ones that size) when traveling at an insufficient speed. If you don't make it to the landing (where the hill starts descending) you're absolutely ****ed.

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:17 PM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggog View Post
I'm guessing you have never hit a jump in your life? It is incredibly dangerous to hit jumps (especially ones that size) when traveling at an insufficient speed. If you don't make it to the landing (where the hill starts descending) you're absolutely ****ed.

Beat me to it

eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
It's different with Guay though. People like Wotherspoon, Hollingsworth, Hamelin, etc. have come back and won some medals in subsequent Olympics. Maybe not the gold they were favoured to win but medals of some sort. Guay keeps coming back and never wins anything. It's mystifying.
I just don't get my hopes too high for the downhill anymore. Prestigious event, would be great to see another medal one of these days, but just doesn't seem to happen. I'm not old enough to remember Canada ever medal in downhill in fact. Regardless of World Cup results, it's typically an event that the Austrians, Swiss, and Italians seem to dominate. It's like the Stanley Cup to those countries, they just seem to have that extra something when the chips are down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I'm just wondering does Canada always do this will or is this an exceptional start for us at the Olympics
Two of our four medals are in brand new events. This is pretty typical. We usually medal in moguls but not a whole lot else early on. Short track speed skating usually yields the most medals for us, but most of those events are in the final days of the Olympics, as are hockey and curling finals. Can usually depend on 8-10 medals in the last four or five days.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I have plenty of respect for their athletes and people in their country in general... when it comes to us though, I'd almost go so far as to say the vast majority of Americans believe they are the only country on the continent.
We were joking at work during the figure skating team event that when someone falls on ice, ouch.

When Americans fall....yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No sympathy for them

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 07:17 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I have plenty of respect for their athletes and people in their country in general... when it comes to us though, I'd almost go so far as to say the vast majority of Americans believe they are the only country on the continent.
If they can find it..

A large number of Americans, can't even find their own country on a map

...I love this quote from the article..
"I live in the U.S.A., so why would I need to know where America is? Or the United States for that matter?"

...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven..._b_150933.html

EgoEakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
If they can find it..

"I live in the U.S.A., so why would I need to know where America is? Or the United States for that matter?"

The first sentence in the article:

Quote:
Editor's note: This post is a satire.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:29 PM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Quote:
If they can find it..

A large number of Canadians don't know what satire is...

cyril* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:35 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hall leads the NHL in turnovers by a forward. He's not responsible enough to play for TC. With that being said I still don't know why Duchene made it over Giroux, makes zero sense.
Crosby hates Giroux

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:48 PM
dnicks17

This female Czech snowboarder's name is Sarka(pronounced Sharka).

Awesome.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote