HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q on Kasper and other sent down players

Old
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Q on Kasper and other sent down players

When the Rangers sent down Kasper, what does this mean in terms of his roster status, salary, cap number, and re-entry?
Is he off the NHL roster?
Is he still being paid his salary for the duration of the contract?
Does it not count against the cap for the duration of the contract as long as he is in the minors?
How can he get back to the NHL, is he stuck their until his contract expires or is he recalled, and is there a penalty for bringing him back?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker View Post
When the Rangers sent down Kasper, what does this mean in terms of his roster status, salary, cap number, and re-entry?
Is he off the NHL roster?
Is he still being paid his salary for the duration of the contract?
Does it not count against the cap for the duration of the contract as long as he is in the minors?
How can he get back to the NHL, is he stuck their until his contract expires or is he recalled, and is there a penalty for bringing him back?
As long as Kasparaitis is in the AHL,his salary doesn't count against the salary cap.Kasparaitis is getting every penny due to him.If the Rangers wanted to re-call Kasparaitis,he would be subject to re-entry waivers(if another NHL claimed Kasparaitis,the Rangers and the claming team would share the cap hit)

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
As long as Kasparaitis is in the AHL,his salary doesn't count against the salary cap.Kasparaitis is getting every penny due to him.If the Rangers wanted to re-call Kasparaitis,he would be subject to re-entry waivers(if another NHL claimed Kasparaitis,the Rangers and the claming team would share the cap hit)
Any NHL player can be sent to the minors, and have to play there until their contract expires?
If the Rangers recall him, then he must go through waivers, and if not claimed, what is the next step?

Did this rule vary with the current NHL or was it always this way pre 2005?

I wonder how it must feel to a guy like Kasper or another established NHL player to be under contract but in the minors riding the buses to games.
That must be demoralizing.

Old
02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Any NHL player can be sent to the minors, and have to play there until their contract expires?
If the Rangers recall him, then he must go through waivers, and if not claimed, what is the next step?

I wonder how it must feel to a guy like Kasper or another established NHL player to be under contract but in the minors riding the buses to games.
The team has to place an NHL player on waivers, and i believe its 24 hrs where teams can claim him. If 24 hrs pass w/o a claim that player can be sent down to the AHL. And yes, he'd have to stay there until his contract expired where he would become a free agent, or be called up by the NHL team. Then, if he is called up, he'd have to pass through re-entry waivers where if claimed this time, the claiming team would only pay 50% of the salary and the team that had him before would pay the other 50%. That's why its a risk to do so.

Look at Mogilny last year. He played in Albany in the AHL. Sure it's demoralizing but thats what happens when: A) you're contract is too big and you're not living up to it B) no one else wants you and C) the team wants to move in a different direction

I'm not sure how it was before this, but i belive i got the my info correct here.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

The player can be brought back at any time.If Kasparatis cleared the re-entry waivers,then he could play for the Rangers.The re-entry waivers is part of the new CBA.Demoralizing?Kasparaitis is making over $3 million to ride the bus.Please

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR469

Quote:

re-entry waivers was only created under the new cba under the cap.

if the rangers recalled kaspar and he gets claimed then the cap hit and salary is split 50/50 between the rangers and the new team. if he clears waivers coming back up then he can just rejoin the rangers and nothing else happens.

because that 50% cap hit would carry over into future years of the players contract that is why you won't see many guys in this situation recalled. the teams will leave them in the minors for the rest of the year to avoid re-entry waivers and then next season he's back on the big roster without them.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Rumblick

There is an alternative, which I believe is what the Pens executed with John LeClair. They can assign him to the AHL, and when he refuses, they can claim a breach of his contract. The contract is voided, he comes off the cap (important to the team), and the player becomes a free agent (important to him).

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Kaspar is ****ed 'til his contract expires. 3.2m is too much for a guy like him in the new NHL. We'll see what happens this summer. I don't expect him to be back with the Rangers again, though.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
re-entry waivers was only created under the new cba under the cap.

if the rangers recalled kaspar and he gets claimed then the cap hit and salary is split 50/50 between the rangers and the new team. if he clears waivers coming back up then he can just rejoin the rangers and nothing else happens.

because that 50% cap hit would carry over into future years of the players contract that is why you won't see many guys in this situation recalled. the teams will leave them in the minors for the rest of the year to avoid re-entry waivers and then next season he's back on the big roster without them.
After the season a player can be recalled with no penalty?