HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Just how much does offense does our defense provide.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
  #1
predshabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lyles,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Just how much does offense does our defense provide.

I keep hearing this thrown around and I decided to put together some stats. This is as of last night the 7th of Feburary.

Team goals
1.Chicago-207
2.St. Louis-192
3.Anaheim-191
4.Pittsburgh-186
5.San Jose-175
5.Toronto-175
7.Columbus-170
8.Colorado-169
8.Boston-169
10.Washington-168
11.Ottawa-167
12Winnipeg-165
13.Tampa Bay-164
14.Phoenix-162
14.Dallas-162
14.NYI-162
17.Philadelphia-160
18.NYR-155
19.Edmonton-153
20.Detroit-149
21.Minnesota-145
21.Vancouver-145
23.Montreal-144
23.Nashville-144
25.Carolina-143
26.Florida-139
26.LA-139
28.Calgary-136
29.New Jersey-135
30.Buffalo-110

Goals by Defensemen
1.Boston-37
2.Winnipeg-35* *Byfuglien has 13 of them and has been playing some on the wing
3.Ottawa-33
3. Nashville-33
5.Phoenix-32
6.Pittsburgh-30
7.Colorado-27
7.St. Louis-27
7.Vancouver-27
10.New Jersey-26
10.Chicago-26
10.San Jose-26
13.Washington-25
14.Calgary-24
14.LA-24
14.Anaheim-24
17.Carolina-23
17.Minnesota-23
17.Philadelphia-23
20.Columbus-21
20.Florida-21
22.Dallas-20
22.NYR-20
22.Tampa Bay-20
22.Toronto-20
26.Buffalo-18
26.Edmonton-18
28.Detroit-17
28.NYI-17
30.Montreal-15

% of goals by Defense
1.Nashville-22.9%
2.Boston-21.8%
3.Winnipeg-21.2%
4.Phoenix-19.8%
4.Ottawa-19.8%
6.New Jersey-19.3%
7.Vancouver-18.6%
8.Calgary-17.6%
9.LA-17.3%
10.Buffalo-16.3%
11.Carolina-16.1%
11.Pittsburgh-16.1%
13.Colorado-16%
14.Minnesota-15.9%
15.San Jose-15.1%
15.Florida-15.1%
17.Washington-14.9%
18.Philadelphia-14.4%
19.St. Louis-14.1%
20.NYR-12.9%
21.Anaheim-12.5%
21.Columbus-12.5%
21.Chicago-12.5%
24.Dallas-12.3%
25.Tampa Bay-12.2%
26.Edmonton-11.8%
27.Detroit-11.4%
27.Toronto-11.4%
29.NYI-10.5%
30.Montreal-10.4%

Looking at this we see the Predators are near the bottom in goals. The average goals scored in the NHL so far this year is 159.4 so we are below average. Our defense is carrying this offense more than I even thought. The one team that surprised me was Boston and how close they are to us on % of goals scored by defensemen. I have no idea how we can get our offense better unless some miracle trade or two can really help that much or we get a steal in the draft soon. I know goals are not everything and I know we have a world class goalie that I know everyone has missed all year and we all hope he will be able to come back and play like the old Rinne we new from two years ago but unless Rinne can score some goals he is not going to be the answer especially once you get into the playoffs. Every round you advance in it gets harder and harder to score so even if Rinne will only let in under 2 goals we will have to score 3 to win and we do not have those players right now who can get you that goal when the puck is on their stick when your down by one goal with 5 mins to go. The big question is how do we get them and how long is it going to take.

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 12:33 PM
  #2
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Nice research i knew they did but had no idea it was that obvious.. Wow..
To go along with it we have defensemen in the shootout because are forwards can't even get it done then.

It's not going to happen until a new coach and vision comes in to start.

Luck by getting a superstar to come forward in the later picks like other teams have had.

Making trades like the Erat trade last year. Is a start.

The defense and goalie is looking great for the Preds. One focus forward. I would do a complete overhaul. Trade veteran streaky forwards for picks. Package others for decent prospects. Let the team ride the rest of the year with the young guys. Beck, Moser, Sissions, and Watson. If we tank well they got experience and the Preds are getting a better pick.

Time for an extreme makeover.


Last edited by PFL615: 02-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.
PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 01:37 PM
  #3
predshabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lyles,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Nice research i knew they did but had no idea it was that obvious.. Wow..
To go along with it we have defensemen in the shootout because are forwards can't even get it done then.

It's not going to happen until a new coach and vision comes in to start.

Luck by getting a superstar to come forward in the later picks like other teams have had.

Making trades like the Erat trade last year. Is a start.

The defense and goalie is looking great for the Preds. One focus forward. I would do a complete overhaul. Trade veteran streaky forwards for picks. Package others for decent prospects. Let the team ride the rest of the year with the young guys. Beck, Moser, Sissions, and Watson. If we tank well they got experience and the Preds are getting a better pick.

Time for an extreme makeover.
Thanks I agree I believe we need an extreme makeover.

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
  #4
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 500
Nice bit of research there. We have all known the forwards are an issue without much of a bright spot. Thank goodness Smith has found his goals or the team scoring could easily be in line with Buffalo at the bottom of the league. Theres just not much we can look forward to with the current line-up. Its sad to see the upside of the defense and goaltending at this point when the offense just does not support the team. All the banter about the last 20 games and the upward trend of scoring is a good read but when it comes down to it the forwards are not getting the job done. And this team could go on a streak just like the Canucks are on right now and all heck would break loose on this board. Theres just not a good answer right now. Unless they can move up to a top three pick this years draft will be little help. And if they do not make a play for Moulsin the F/A season will be dim. DP needs to get better quick and get on top of his game, we do not want next season to look like last year and this season.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 05:11 PM
  #5
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Nice bit of research there. We have all known the forwards are an issue without much of a bright spot. Thank goodness Smith has found his goals or the team scoring could easily be in line with Buffalo at the bottom of the league. Theres just not much we can look forward to with the current line-up. Its sad to see the upside of the defense and goaltending at this point when the offense just does not support the team. All the banter about the last 20 games and the upward trend of scoring is a good read but when it comes down to it the forwards are not getting the job done. And this team could go on a streak just like the Canucks are on right now and all heck would break loose on this board. Theres just not a good answer right now. Unless they can move up to a top three pick this years draft will be little help. And if they do not make a play for Moulsin the F/A season will be dim. DP needs to get better quick and get on top of his game, we do not want next season to look like last year and this season.
Now that he is not traveling to Russia and the torch has been passed to someone else. Maybe he will have plenty of time to think about and look at how bad the Preds forwards are.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:36 PM
  #6
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
would also be interesting to see a breakdown of first assists the defenders have on both total goals and goals by forwards.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:56 PM
  #7
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,510
vCash: 500
Another asterisk to add is that Chara has been playing forward on Boston's PP. He has a few goals due to that.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 11:10 AM
  #8
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
To go along with it we have defensemen in the shootout because our forwards can't even get it done then.

It's not going to happen until a new coach and vision comes in to start.
How is a new coach going to help our forwards in a shootout?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
  #9
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
How is a new coach going to help our forwards in a shootout?
What's so funny? You obviously did not read what i typed. You took two completely different paragraphs answering two different things and combined them.... Try again...

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 04:06 PM
  #10
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
The first of the year signaled a shift in when and who among our defenders is scoring. 11 of 13 PPG from our d-men happened before New Years. Jan and the first week of Feb saw nine ES goals from Weber and Josi combined ... with Josi netting five of those. Jones with another two ES goals in that span. 11 of 20 ES goals from the blueline this season scored by three players in the last five weeks while the team maintained it's over 20% PP success rate.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 07:19 AM
  #11
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
What's so funny? You obviously did not read what i typed. You took two completely different paragraphs answering two different things and combined them.... Try again...
Guess your point wasn't as obvious as you thought it was.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
  #12
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Guess your point wasn't as obvious as you thought it was.
Actually it was. Thanks for playing though.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 03:46 PM
  #13
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Actually it was. Thanks for playing though.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 11:58 PM
  #14
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,343
vCash: 130
Wasn't sure where to post this, but how do you guys like MDZ so far? I really like Klein, he's helped his partner J. Moore considerably. However, quite a few posters on our board want to trade him, and don't consider him anything more than a 3rd pairing defensemen. He's still adjusting to AV's system, but he is already looking like a replacement for Mike Sauer (Who's career was cut incredibly short by a concussion). Thanks guys.

P.S. Mods, please move this somewhere more appropriate if need be.

__________________

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 05:55 AM
  #15
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this, but how do you guys like MDZ so far? I really like Klein, he's helped his partner J. Moore considerably. However, quite a few posters on our board want to trade him, and don't consider him anything more than a 3rd pairing defensemen. He's still adjusting to AV's system, but he is already looking like a replacement for Mike Sauer (Who's career was cut incredibly short by a concussion). Thanks guys.

P.S. Mods, please move this somewhere more appropriate if need be.
MDZ seems to have fit in pretty well so far. He brings something to the team we really didn't have much of with his passing, and I haven't really seen a down side so far.

That said, Klein is a solid defenseman, the Rangers fans need to give him a chance to get comfortable. He's not a top pair guy by any stretch, but I would say on most teams he's a second pair guy.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 05:59 AM
  #16
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,343
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
MDZ seems to have fit in pretty well so far. He brings something to the team we really didn't have much of with his passing, and I haven't really seen a down side so far.

That said, Klein is a solid defenseman, the Rangers fans need to give him a chance to get comfortable. He's not a top pair guy by any stretch, but I would say on most teams he's a second pair guy.
Agree with both of these. I think you guys will be happy with this trade down the line. MDZ is an all around good (and young) defensemen when he's on his game. Hopefully consistency will come with age. He's still very young. Thanks for the response.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 06:06 AM
  #17
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Agree with both of these. I think you guys will be happy with this trade down the line. MDZ is an all around good (and young) defensemen when he's on his game. Hopefully consistency will come with age. He's still very young. Thanks for the response.
I would also say that sometimes its just good for players to get out of towns like New York. He can come here and just play, no media circus, andno super crazy expectations.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 06:17 AM
  #18
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,343
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
I would also say that sometimes its just good for players to get out of towns like New York. He can come here and just play, no media circus, andno super crazy expectations.
Oh, no doubt. Also goes both ways, so we'll see what happens. What I like about Klein is he is essentially a veteran version of what Michael Sauer was. Love those type of dmen, personally; reliable, tough, stay at home guys.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 03:25 PM
  #19
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Wonder if all the fans in Canada are having such a fuss over the percentage of scoring from their D?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 03:47 PM
  #20
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Wonder if all the fans in Canada are having such a fuss over the percentage of scoring from their D?
I'm sure they're pouring over the stats looking for something to bash Weber on too, just like these boards.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
  #21
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,510
vCash: 500
Canada almost got eliminated by Latvia. Things aren't all sunshine and rainbows up north

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:08 PM
  #22
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Wonder if all the fans in Canada are having such a fuss over the percentage of scoring from their D?
Incoming "you think a 2-1 close call to Latvia represents success" indignant post in 3... 2... 1...

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:21 PM
  #23
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Yeah teams like Russia are thrilled their forwards didn't produce. I am sure the Swiss are throwing a parade as well.

When the Preds D carries the team offensively and gets us a division championship or hell out of last place in the division you won't hear anything out of me.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
  #24
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Yeah teams like Russia are thrilled their forwards didn't produce. I am sure the Swiss are throwing a parade as well.
There's a world of difference between "the forwards didn't produce" and "the NOBODY didn't produce", and it's not just the tortured grammar.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.